2019 RDX Advanced vs Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 RDX Advanced vs Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude

Has anyone cross shopped the RDX vs Jeep Grand Cherokee ? I really like how the Grand Cherokee looks but overall interior quality and infotainment in the RDX is much nicer. Any views on Jeep vs Acura reliabiliy ?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Altitude is a Cherokee not a Grand Cherokee.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Advanced

there is a grand cherokee altitude and high altitude trim: https://www.jeep.com/limited-edition...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DACAR
The Altitude is a Cherokee not a Grand Cherokee.
https://www.jeep.com/limited-edition.../altitude.html

I owned a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit (they really have not changed at all since that time) and the RDX is a bit nicer, but not much. The Jeep was a much more capable SUV, the RDX is a comfortable tall car. I think the materials in the Jeep (Summit trim) rival the RDX advance we purchased, with the RDX probably taking a win with a slight margin of victory. I think this is mostly due to the age of the Grand Cherokee though. The infotainment system is going to be personal preference but when the U-Connect software was released, it earned high praise. I never had any issues with it, and the stereo was really, really good. Build quality and (hopeful) reliability I think is where the Acura will win hands down. Also, whenever I had to take my Jeep in for service, I despised the trips to the local Jeep dealers, whereas the trips to our local Acura dealer are usually very comfortable/enjoyable. I had the V6 in my Jeep and it got 18-20 mpg regularly, and 10-11 towing a 3500 pound car on an open trailer. That's the other thing, towing capacity is much better on the Jeep.

All things considered, I would take a new RDX over a new high trim package Grand Cherokee all day, but particularly when the warranty expires.
The following 2 users liked this post by fleming23:
Comfy (11-28-2018), sportsguy (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Advanced

thanks for comparison. I really like both RDX and Grand Cherokee. Jeep/Grand Cherokee infotainment just seems outdated now, although I guess Apple Carplay would be what I am using 90% of the time.
Originally Posted by fleming23

I owned a 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit (they really have not changed at all since that time) and the RDX is a bit nicer, but not much. The Jeep was a much more capable SUV, the RDX is a comfortable tall car. I think the materials in the Jeep (Summit trim) rival the RDX advance we purchased, with the RDX probably taking a win with a slight margin of victory. I think this is mostly due to the age of the Grand Cherokee though. The infotainment system is going to be personal preference but when the U-Connect software was released, it earned high praise. I never had any issues with it, and the stereo was really, really good. Build quality and (hopeful) reliability I think is where the Acura will win hands down. Also, whenever I had to take my Jeep in for service, I despised the trips to the local Jeep dealers, whereas the trips to our local Acura dealer are usually very comfortable/enjoyable. I had the V6 in my Jeep and it got 18-20 mpg regularly, and 10-11 towing a 3500 pound car on an open trailer. That's the other thing, towing capacity is much better on the Jeep.

All things considered, I would take a new RDX over a new high trim package Grand Cherokee all day, but particularly when the warranty expires.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
The jeep sure looks more capable and confidence inspiring especially in rough terrain and foul weather. RDX is more tech laden and sleek though. Since the Jeep GC has been there for a while and is due for a major redesign soon, I don't think it is a fair comparison at present. But it is what is available now, and therefore RDX takes the win for now. I have a loaded Pacifica limited and yes, the Uconnect interface is very smooth flowing, natural and intuitive to use. I've also never had an issue with the Uconnect remote access features such as "send address to car" feature, but I hear that the new RDX has a some issues with it (Acuralink).

Last edited by Comfy; 11-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fleming23

A lifetime warranty is offered to help ease some of those reliability concerns.
Lifetime New Maximum Care Plans | Mopar MaxCare Service Plans
Old 11-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsguy
Has anyone cross shopped the RDX vs Jeep Grand Cherokee ? I really like how the Grand Cherokee looks but overall interior quality and infotainment in the RDX is much nicer. Any views on Jeep vs Acura reliabiliy ?
I have both. Well, my mom owns the RDX, but I have a new Grand Cherokee. The interior quality is on par for the Jeep vs the RDX, but that depends which trim you get on the Jeep. Something like the Overland is definitely on par, but the Summit is actually quite a bit nicer than the RDX.

As far as reliability, I haven't had any issues with my Jeep. My current Jeep is a 2017 and I had a 2015 before that. No problems with either of them.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by sportsguy
thanks for comparison. I really like both RDX and Grand Cherokee. Jeep/Grand Cherokee infotainment just seems outdated now, although I guess Apple Carplay would be what I am using 90% of the time.
2018 and up Grand Cherokees have Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The infotainment system is probably one of the best I've ever used and it is highly praised in every review I've ever read. The RDX seems to have a decent infotainment system, but it's far more complex to use and there are certain limitations that just ruin it. For example, the navigation system in the Acura is horrible. No way to customize the zoom level, no way to name and store addresses, those sort of things.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Unregistered Member

A couple of other comparisons between the RDX and the Jeep Grand Cherokee from someone who has both in his household:

Ride quality: Jeep is definitely more comfortable and more refined. Mine has the height adjustable air suspension. I have no experience with the base spring suspension in the Jeep. In comparison, the RDX feels quite a bit stiffer and unsettled on lower speed roads, but it feels pretty good on the highway.. Some may consider it more of a "sporty" ride, but to me it's just not as enjoyable. On the flip side, the RDX feels like it can take turns faster, but that's just my guess based upon the stiffer ride quality.

Transmission: Jeep has a ZF 8-speed that is fantastic. The 10-speed in the RDX seems very good too, but I hate how it feels/sounds when accelerating through the first two or three gears when taking off from a dead stop with decent acceleration. Again, it's an unrefined sound/feeling.

Fuel Economy: Hands down, the RDX wins here. The Jeep has a 25-gallon fuel tank and it needs it.

Headlights: Again, the RDX headlights are quite a bit better than the Grand Cherokee HID xenons. My main gripe with the Jeep headlights is the projector lens, not the actual light output. For whatever reason, the project lens scatters the light and it's not anywhere near uniform output. It's splotchy at best.

Features: I'd have to call this a draw. The RDX Advance is loaded with features and I love the Head-Up Display, but the Jeep comes with remote start and will automatically turn on the heated seats and steering wheel, as well as the defroster whenever the temperature is below a certain threshold. Same thing with the A/C in the summer months. At least Acura offers remote start via the Acuralink app, but it's only free for the trial and then you have to pay for it. I'm also disappointed that Acura didn't offer a power tilt/slide steering wheel, which is great when you have multiple drivers with memory seat/mirror positions. The cruise control system on the Jeep offers both standard cruise control and also a separate adaptive cruise control, giving the driver the choice. I wish the RDX had that as well because the adaptive cruise control can become quite annoying at times.

Capability: No experience with the RDX yet, but it's basically a car with SH-AWD. The Jeep is ridiculously capable, with several different offroad modes, height adjustable air suspension, locking center differential, etc. It also has a much better towing capacity, even with the base engine.

Price to purchase: This will vary quite a bit depending upon which trim you choose for either vehicle, but I can tell you with certainty that the MSRP on just about any Grand Cherokee is nowhere near the price you'll pay. They typically drop $5000 to $8000 or more off the sticker without even haggling. The sticker on mine as $49K and I paid a bit under $42K

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by Tom2; 11-29-2018 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sportsguy (11-29-2018)