2019 RDX Advance vs 2018 Lexus RX350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 RDX Advance vs 2018 Lexus RX350 F Sport

Hi all, I am currently shopping on a 3 adult family car and choosing between the RDX Advance and the RX350 FSport 3. I have done lots of research and tear down of the car to compare them, but still difficult to choose even after the test drive.I understand these two class are different class and should not be compared together. But the redesigned RDX is really what I am considering right now instead of the MDX.

In my opinion, I think the RDX is winning over the RX350 on the infotainment technology (especially with CarPlay) and its sporty performance. I also really enjoy the interactive HUD as well. I am a very tech person so I will also be enjoying the acuralink as well. The RDX sound system is better than the RX and its truck space also seems to be bigger. I really enjoy the SH-AWD and the 10 speed automatic feels smooth as well.

However, for the RX350, it does provide a very smooth ride and aggresive power when I need it as a V6. The rear seats are also has much more room and the recline position for the rear seats can be electronically adjusted. In terms of reliability, the RX should have much less issues than the RDX since it has been redesigned a while ago, while I have seen some serious reliability issues on the forum with the RDX. In my opinion, the RX looks better than the RDX advance, and tied with the ASpec. IF Aspec has the advance function, we would have a winner already.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Tough decision!

I honestly think both cars are amazing. It really comes down to your preference. RX is a bigger and more spacious vehicle and RDX is more of a sporty.
in terms of $ value, the RDX will be a better choice but reliability and resale RX will come as a winner.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
NX is typically a cross shop car for RDX. RX as you started with is matched usually with MDX.

but both are excellent choice. No doubt you will find the best bang for your buck with RDX. When comparing 1:1 features, RDX will come out on top on dollars.

In my opinion, they are also very different car. Driving dynamics (no pun intended) is just not the same. If you prefer comfort, soft ride, easy turning, RX is your car ( don’t be fool by the aggressive look). In comparison, RDX is nimble and quick.

so ask yourself what matters to you most, everyone has different priorities.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
NX is typically a cross shop car for RDX. RX as you started with is matched usually with MDX.

but both are excellent choice. No doubt you will find the best bang for your buck with RDX. When comparing 1:1 features, RDX will come out on top on dollars.

In my opinion, they are also very different car. Driving dynamics (no pun intended) is just not the same. If you prefer comfort, soft ride, easy turning, RX is your car ( don’t be fool by the aggressive look). In comparison, RDX is nimble and quick.

so ask yourself what matters to you most, everyone has different priorities.
100%!!

I think this is the best answer you will get from unbiased members. I am sure you will get different response from Lexus forum.
If I was you, honestly I wouldn't have compared these two. I would crossed shop RDX and NX (as mentioned in this message). And between NX and RDX. RDX would have been my pick!
Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
100%!!

I think this is the best answer you will get from unbiased members. I am sure you will get different response from Lexus forum.
If I was you, honestly I wouldn't have compared these two. I would crossed shop RDX and NX (as mentioned in this message). And between NX and RDX. RDX would have been my pick!

You are absolutely correct. I have compared the NX with the RDX before, and I have already decided RDX is no doubt the winner. But what really holding me back is just the appearance of the Advance (especially the rim) and the first year beta reliability. In terms of $$, the quote that I get for the RX is 6-8k more than the Advance. So now it really depends on do I want to spend 6-8k more to ensure the car is more reliable and go more towards the comfort side but has less interior technology. Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by trollking
...the quote that I get for the RX is 6-8k more than the Advance...
That was the 4th reason I gave up on the Lexus - the 1st, 2nd and 3rd being the unimaginably ugly front end.
The following users liked this post:
GW208 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I have compared the NX with the RDX before, and I have already decided RDX is no doubt the winner. But what really holding me back is just the appearance of the Advance (especially the rim) and the first year beta reliability. In terms of $$, the quote that I get for the RX is 6-8k more than the Advance. So now it really depends on do I want to spend 6-8k more to ensure the car is more reliable and go more towards the comfort side but has less interior technology. Thanks for the comments guys.
$2k gets you upgraded rims from Acura on the Advance.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Wife cross shopped RX and was huge turn off, darn interior is like 15 years old and filled with obnoxious infotainment/HVAC controls and just not appealing. Lexus has fallen behind, even the new LS the darn instrument cluster has these 2 large obnoxious knobs, one on each side. So much for their Japanese inspired fluid styling inside. And their Inform infotainment is far behind the pack by toady's standards. I assume the RX is due for a refresh in the near future.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
On August 12 we drove three hours to drive the RX and RDX. My wife was leaning to the RX since she has been driving one for 12 years. Turning radius is a big deal to her and the RDX matched the RX, if not a little better. The new RXs don't have a good place for her to put her purse like her 2006 has. The open storage area under the center stack in the RDX works perfect for her. It also gives the driver more side knee room. The panoramic roof was close to a must-have for both of us, and the RDX had it, along with being more fun to drive. The RX interior felt dated, the RDX felt like the latest. My wife has adapted to the True Touchpad control very quickly, an area I was afraid was going to be a problem. I think the Lexus version would have been more difficult for her.
The only advantages that I felt the RX had were the wheels and reclining rear seats. Since the RDX Advance was at least $8K less than the RX, we opted to spend part of that savings on the 20" wheels. We drove home that night with the RDX. My wife dropped off the RDX at the dealer on her way to visit a friend on Monday for the installation of the additional options we wanted. They gave her a loaner for five days and tomorrow she returns with our completed RDX with the slick wheels. We have no regrets in our choice of the RDX over the RX.
Since they both have basically the same cargo area and overall size, I feel the RDX should be considered as part of the same class as the RX. One reviewer stated that people should also consider the Alpha Romeo Stelvio. It only has 18.5 cu ft behind the rear seats, which doesn't match the needs of many people who are considering the RDX.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I also looked at the rx and what drove me
to the rdx aspec was the tech is better and the aspec with the larger wheels is more appealing appearance wise (to my own tastes) and was way more fun to drive. Felt like a young kids sports car for a dad of 2, whereas the Lexus felt like a sporty car for an empty nester. Also the rdx was less expensive
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
While the RX is larger than the RDX and this means more rear seat legroom, you would be surprised to find that the RX only has 18.5 cubic feet of cargo space whereas the RDX is almost double at 29.5. Furthermore with all seats folded flat they are both around 59 cubic feet. So the extra size of the RX is really just for more rear seat room.

The RX is more tried and true though and there is definite teething issues with the new RDX in the tech department and the RX is definitely a more comfortable ride and quieter. But on the flip side the RDX offers a much newer tech setup and it looks decades more modern. Lexus went back to that early 2000's luxury style where they cram a ton of small buttons near each other. It also offers that pano roof which I think is a disgrace not to have available on a 2019 luxury vehicle.

In terms of vehicle quality, I think the RDX is actually just a little bit nicer, I sat in a new RX at a Lexus event a couple years ago and couldn't believe how cheap the plastics on the lower doors feel. GM cheap.

Lastly, I was driving with my Mom the other day and there was a silver new RX at the red light on the other lane and she goes "My god those new lexus are ugly from the front, they look like a bulldog". Keep in mind she never really comments on cars and the ugliness prompted her to say something.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Hi all, I am currently shopping on a 3 adult family car and choosing between the RDX Advance and the RX350 FSport 3. I have done lots of research and tear down of the car to compare them, but still difficult to choose even after the test drive.I understand these two class are different class and should not be compared together. But the redesigned RDX is really what I am considering right now instead of the MDX.

In my opinion, I think the RDX is winning over the RX350 on the infotainment technology (especially with CarPlay) and its sporty performance. I also really enjoy the interactive HUD as well. I am a very tech person so I will also be enjoying the acuralink as well. The RDX sound system is better than the RX and its truck space also seems to be bigger. I really enjoy the SH-AWD and the 10 speed automatic feels smooth as well.

However, for the RX350, it does provide a very smooth ride and aggresive power when I need it as a V6. The rear seats are also has much more room and the recline position for the rear seats can be electronically adjusted. In terms of reliability, the RX should have much less issues than the RDX since it has been redesigned a while ago, while I have seen some serious reliability issues on the forum with the RDX. In my opinion, the RX looks better than the RDX advance, and tied with the ASpec. IF Aspec has the advance function, we would have a winner already.

Any thoughts?
Depends on how much you want to pay. The RX is far more expensive than the RDX, which is why I never get the Lexus.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
I was actually totally against the RX due to Toyoda's across the board front end styling. I can't stand it, but I couldn't let my wife know that since the choice needed to be hers.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just wanted to add another data point.

My wife has wanted an RX for a wile now, and didn't want and RDX, since I already have a '15. But since the RDX was brand new, I was able to convince her to take one out on a test drive. She loved the ride and the tech features, so put it on her list. We then drove the RX, which we both found lacking. The interior felt dated, and even though it has a V6, the power was definitely lacking compared to the RDX. There is a bit more room in the back seat of the Lexus, but our 13 year old son found the rear seat more comfortable in the RDX.

We also looked at the XC60, but couldn't get past the reliability questions on the Volvo.

We picked up a new white/parchment tech package RDX, and she's been loving it since.

Good luck on your search!
The following 2 users liked this post by Lucky13's:
GW208 (08-31-2018), Stew4HD (09-01-2018)