AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   2019 RDX Advance (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/2019-rdx-advance-971469/)

wendtdc13 07-11-2018 03:25 PM

2019 RDX Advance

I have a few questions hoping someone can help....by the way the vehicle is amazing!

1) Can you turn on the fog lights without headlights on? Is there a way to do this?

2) Can you zoom in on navigation screen? Noticed it is always zoomed out.

3) Can you turn bass on further for subwoofer alone or is it just bass in general that can be increased?

Thank you so much.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-11-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by wendtdc13 (Post 16262402)
I have a few questions hoping someone can help....by the way the vehicle is amazing!

1) Can you turn on the fog lights without headlights on? Is there a way to do this?

2) Can you zoom in on navigation screen? Noticed it is always zoomed out.

3) Can you turn bass on further for subwoofer alone or is it just bass in general that can be increased?

Thank you so much.

Great questions. I can answer 2 of them.
1. No, fog lights come on only with the headlights. And this is pretty much "normal" with most all vehicles I've owned...and that has been many.
2. There is only 1 adjustment for the "Bass".....none separate for the sub. I wondered about his too, since previous versions of the ELS system allowed for both.

Dizzyg12 07-11-2018 05:18 PM

Regarding the bass - it’s all about how you EQ the mix of treble, mids, and bass. Don’t just turn the bass all the way up (to a whopping 6). It will just make everything muddy. Depending on your source and style of music you may need to tinker but once you do, and get it right, it’ll be more impactful than trying to shake the mirror off.

MTD 07-11-2018 06:59 PM

It also doesnt have a separate subwoofer anymore either.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-11-2018 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by MTD (Post 16262531)
It also doesnt have a separate subwoofer anymore either.

It takes some research, BUT, you are incorrect. There is a 20cm sub woofer mounted in an enclosure in the right sidewall of the cargo area.

Why it does not have a separate control...not positive, but, after doing some studying of this system....and I'm by no means a designer or true audiophile, what I get from the design of the system, it is integrated in such a way that
they only needed to have 1 Bass adjustment.

If you read DEEP about this design collaboration...with Panasonic and their chief speaker designer for 37 yrs, along with Elliot Schieners' guidance, this was quite the project....esp. designing speakers that spread music although
being so thin....and that is the ones in the headliner. Many of their new designs are proprietary.

Russell Dion 07-13-2018 03:21 PM

If you use the explore feature while in the NAV it has zoom in and out buttons.

ednigma 07-13-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Russell Dion (Post 16263865)
If you use the explore feature while in the NAV it has zoom in and out buttons.

But according to the other thread, that's kind of useless because most people want to be zoomed in more than the default while the Nav is actively tracking ie, car position is centered--it snaps back to the default when out of explore mode. I haven't used the 2018 RDX nav to any great extent, but all other cars and the standalone Garmin I have can set the zoom level so you can see more detail and it stays while using the nav whether currently navigating to a destination or not.

Russell Dion 07-13-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ednigma (Post 16263881)
But according to the other thread, that's kind of useless because most people want to be zoomed in more than the default while the Nav is actively tracking ie, car position is centered--it snaps back to the default when out of explore mode. I haven't used the 2018 RDX nav to any great extent, but all other cars and the standalone Garmin I have can set the zoom level so you can see more detail and it stays while using the nav whether currently navigating to a destination or not.

Ah I was not aware while it's tracking a route that it zoomed back out.

ednigma 07-14-2018 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Russell Dion (Post 16263890)
Ah I was not aware while it's tracking a route that it zoomed back out.

Yeah, it's got to be a feature that's broken or was inadvertently left out of the final build of the Nav system, hopefully it will be updated for next years model and pushed to current owners

Wander 07-14-2018 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by ednigma (Post 16264033)
Yeah, it's got to be a feature that's broken or was inadvertently left out of the final build of the Nav system, hopefully it will be updated for next years model and pushed to current owners

Agree, but OMG I hope we don't have to wait for next fall to get the "push". Nothing was promised about zoom on the Nav display, but it looks like the map update mechanism isn't working as promised, so maybe a Nav software update will be forthcoming.

russianDude 07-14-2018 09:18 AM

So would you say that aspec is overall more sportier ride than advanced?

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-14-2018 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16264099)
So would you say that aspec is overall more sportier ride than advanced?

Sportier...meaning harder ride??? Yes, I think so. My A-Spec rides harder than I expected on certain roads.

The Advance has the dampers that adjust based on what you set the Dynamic Drive Mode to. So, the word is it can ride pretty damn good.

russianDude 07-14-2018 09:14 PM

Yea, I would be interested in stiffer/harder suspension. If both are in the same mode: sport or normal, which one has more stiffness in suspension? When I test drove they only had tech package, would ASPEC be any stiffer? I know it has 20” tires which can make it appear stiffer, other than tire size, do they use different suspension in tech vs aspec?

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-14-2018 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16264296)
Yea, I would be interested in stiffer/harder suspension. If both are in the same mode: sport or normal, which one has more stiffness in suspension? When I test drove they only had tech package, would ASPEC be any stiffer? I know it has 20” tires which can make it appear stiffer, other than tire size, do they use different suspension in tech vs aspec?

According to Acura, the A-Spec has a re-tuned suspension...stiffer yes. But, those dampers "self adjust" unlike the Advance, where you can "make them" change their ride quality.

The A-Spec dampers are kinda "harsh" in my opinion. Lot rougher than Gen 2 RDX's for sure.

Dizzyg12 07-14-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 16264298)
According to Acura, the A-Spec has a re-tuned suspension...stiffer yes. But, those dampers "self adjust" unlike the Advance, where you can "make them" change their ride quality.

The A-Spec dampers are kinda "harsh" in my opinion. Lot rougher than Gen 2 RDX's for sure.

good way of explaining it. I actually preferred the ride of the aspec over the advanced. The advance felt too soft for me in comfort mode. I like a stiffer ride and feel more connected to the car and road this way.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 07-14-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 (Post 16264304)

good way of explaining it. I actually preferred the ride of the aspec over the advanced. The advance felt too soft for me in comfort mode. I like a stiffer ride and feel more connected to the car and road this way.

Thanks. Yes, the handling is great, but, I've now come across "raised ridges" on some roads, and just overall "rough places" and the ride gets really harsh. Don't like it at all. And I've got my TP down to 32 lbs. So, it's not that.
I test drove it, but, I know we didn't really get on the type of roads I have encountered here in my city. I'm frustrated with it. Love the A-Spec, but, can't figure out why so 'harsh" over that stuff. The Mich. Premiere LTX are
supposed to be a "softer riding tire." Talked to Tire Rack about it...and maybe swapping out, but, they told me the Premiere A/S 3+'s I wanted would not ride better. :(

Wander 07-15-2018 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12 (Post 16264304)

Advance gets noticeably stiffer in Sport+ mode compared to Comfort mode, but I can't compare directly to A-spec.

A-spec doesn't have the capacity to electronically "self-adjust", but I believe it has multi-stage shock absorbers that automatically "soften up" in response to big hits, so you can keep your dentition intact. This is pretty common in modern cars.

There are different flavors of electrically active shock absorbers and associated control systems. Some automatically respond to varying road and driving dynamics conditions in real time, at the millisecond time scale. Some allow the driver to adjust the overall "sportiness" of the ride. And some do both. I believe the system in the 2019 RDX Advance does both.

russianDude 07-15-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wander (Post 16264338)
Advance gets noticeably stiffer in Sport+ mode compared to Comfort mode, but I can't compare directly to A-spec.
A-spec doesn't have the capacity to electronically "self-adjust", but I believe it has multi-stage shock absorbers that automatically "soften up" in response to big hits, so you can keep your dentition intact. This is pretty common in modern cars.

Yes, it does not have adaptive dumpers to self-adjust, but its possible that its just adjusted to be stiff all the time?

Wander 07-15-2018 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16264368)
Yes, it does not have adaptive dumpers to self-adjust, but its possible that its just adjusted to be stiff all the time?

I'm not sure we can confirm this one way or the other until the parts lists get published.

There are strictly mechanical systems that open additional valves in the shock absorber in response to high-amplitude impacts, so called amplitude reactive shock absorbers. These are much more common, and much less expensive than shocks with electrically controlled external valving. I remember from a posted interview with an Acura engineer that magnetorheological (MR) shocks are NOT used, as are used in some flavors of MDX. Those are quite expensive.

https://www.acura.com/performance/mo...active-dampers

From the press release:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...05cb46f99.jpeg

russianDude 07-15-2018 01:02 PM

Ok, what about tech vs aspec suspension, is aspec suspension stiffer?

Dizzyg12 07-15-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16264459)
Ok, what about tech vs aspec suspension, is aspec suspension stiffer?

my understanding is the suspension is the same across all trims but the exception is in advance you get active dampers that adjust depending on the driving mode. In the tech and aspec there is no active dampening - controlled by driver or otherwise. People will wonder then why it has comfort mode, the answer to that is that the drive modes adjust other parameters As wel such as throttle response and steering weight to give you a sportier feel with more “go” and tighter steering so you feel as though you’re in more control. The thing that really makes the aspec feel stiffer are the 20” wheels. They aren’t as soft and don’t “roll” as much obviously as 19” wheels. I think the tech will feel more like the aspec than the advanced because of the active dampening, but the tech is also softer than the aspec because of the wheel package. To me, the advanced felt too spongy but that’s all a matter of preference. I’ve driven sporty sedans my whole life so I want that feel. Not the feel of driving boat. Drive each and make your own conclusions though. It’s a personal preference thing honestly.

Wander 07-15-2018 09:36 PM

Lower profile tires will make some difference in both ride "stiffness" and sharpness of handling, but I do remember a posted comment from an Acura engineer that the suspension was "tuned" differently in A-spec relative to other trims. To me, that means different springs and/or shock absorbers. When parts lists are posted, we will know.

It's been a few decades since I stuffed Koni adjustable racing struts into a first-gen Toyota MR-2, so I may have forgotten what a stiff suspension feels like. But the 2019 RDX Advance corners pretty darn flat for a 4000 pound SUV, especially in "Sport+ mode". Comfort mode is a little bit soft and floaty, IMO, but on pothole infested roads that's not always a bad thing. And the "dynamic modes" do make a difference in that trim, both in suspension feel and the other parameters cited ( steering assist, throttle response ). Transmission shift points are altered as well. And "S" transmission mode takes that up another level.

RDX isn't an exotic car. But RDX can go places an exotic car dare not tread ( and with far more occupants and cargo ).

TxLady 07-16-2018 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 16264306)
Thanks. Yes, the handling is great, but, I've now come across "raised ridges" on some roads, and just overall "rough places" and the ride gets really harsh. Don't like it at all. And I've got my TP down to 32 lbs. So, it's not that.
I test drove it, but, I know we didn't really get on the type of roads I have encountered here in my city. I'm frustrated with it. Love the A-Spec, but, can't figure out why so 'harsh" over that stuff. The Mich. Premiere LTX are
supposed to be a "softer riding tire." Talked to Tire Rack about it...and maybe swapping out, but, they told me the Premiere A/S 3+'s I wanted would not ride better. :(

Thamks for sharing this. Backs up our experience. My husband says although the Comfort mode is soft, he feels our new 2019 Advance (in “Comfort” mode) is still stiffer than our 2002 TL rides.

Hou-RL 07-16-2018 10:50 AM

I cant speak for the A-Spec as I only test drove it for 10 minutes after I drove the Advance. The A-Spec was not as comfortable as the Advance in comfort mode. I wish Acura shared more information on the suspension so that we knew exactly what the differences are to make an informed decision. I have some information on the Active dampers and have that in other vehicles I own so I know how it works. It helped me to make my decision on the Advance over the A-Spec model. It is much nicer ride than my 2014 RDX was IMHO.