2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
GRRR! I had a whole reply typed, and accidentally clicked on something that said "restore saved" rather than "submit" and it is now gone!!!

Anyway...recreating...

The RX WAS my gold standard when I started shopping for my "luxury" brand vehicle, however, it being ~$60,000, and bigger than I really wanted, I also drove the NX. It was a let down to me compared to the RX (Sorry!) I then drove the RDX within 30 minutes of the NX, and was very impressed. The enhanced engine sounds that had been mentioned here and in many reviews was a concern, but turns out it isn't an issue. I drive mostly in Comfort mode, and the occasional times I use Sport or Sport+ it sounds interesting, and appropriate.

As I mentioned, the definition of a luxury vehicle is most likely different for each of us, which is a good thing!
You don’t have to apologize. Every vehicle has pros and cons. The piped in engine noise was a major turnoff for myself and my wife. She hated it. And the pricing in my area also meant that the RDX A-Spec was nearly $50K. Needless to say I got the NX for a lot less and I can turn off the engine noise with a dial.

I’ll likely revisit the RDX when my lease is up. I want the Advance with A-Spec appearance package....
Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Pro

No, sorry, I don't watch TV ads, only watch TV via DVR, and always fast forward through ads.
I don’t usually watch them either but this was during a football game.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
I should add the why pay 20-30k more for the same luxury comment is my perception of Acura's message but by no means do I necessarily agree

Last edited by acuraada; 02-08-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777

You don’t have to apologize. Every vehicle has pros and cons. The piped in engine noise was a major turnoff for myself and my wife. She hated it. And the pricing in my area also meant that the RDX A-Spec was nearly $50K. Needless to say I got the NX for a lot less and I can turn off the engine noise with a dial.

I’ll likely revisit the RDX when my lease is up. I want the Advance with A-Spec appearance package....
We didn't even consider the A-Spec as we wanted the extra items on the Advance. I understand the enhanced engine sounds may be more prevalent in the A Spec???
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
So, not necessarily disagreeing, but are you saying that because RX's sell for $60, that makes them a luxury vehicle?

I think my definition of a luxury vehicle may be different. To me, it's a combination of things: (and it is likely very difficult to quantify, and is most likely different for each of us, but let me try)

That "quality feeling", quietness, and attention to detail, the feel and sound of the swithgear, the higher level of equipment and features, the extra weather strip on the doors, the real wood trim (which honestly is a bragging right rather than a real benefit... (hmm, maybe this is a key, the bragging right????) there are plastic woods that look almost as good. The dealer experience, the longer factory warranty, the top end sound system, the sound of the doors closing, the look of the interior, the quality of the leather, the adjustability of the seats (both fronts), standard multi-LED headlights (they cost extra on the RX!) ....It's the total package to me. how it makes me feel when I sit down behind the wheel, how a passenger reacts when they step in. Lastly, and purposely mentioned last, the quality control, which may appear not to be at the luxury level in some of the current RDXs.

Disclaimer, this is my first "luxury" or "near Luxury" vehicle. I drove many during my research phase before deciding on the RDX, I'll admit, price was one a factor in my decision. I could have purchased anything up to and probably exceeding $60,000, but choose not to . Felt the Lexus RX wasn't worth that much extra money, similarly equipped, and the NX was not even a contender.

So I guess my question would be...Is a true luxury vehicle one that the buyer doesn't care how much it costs????? OR...Is it one that makes the driver/owner feel like it is a luxury vehicle???? Or,is it that a Luxury brand can't have a mainstream brand that it is (mostly) based off of???? (BMW, Mercedes. Volvo. etc) This is the first RDX that isn't based on the CR-V.

One other thought, apparently the cost of service also tags a vehicle as a luxury brand. The Acura salesman told me that the routine service at Acura was almost double the cost of the Honda dealer next door (same owner), and I could bring my RDX next door for the same service for less money. In fact, he kind of insinuated, but stopped short of actually saying it, that they were the same technicians, at least doing the oil changes.
Luxury means different things to different people and is practically impossible to quantify for that reason. Someone who has been driving a 1998 toyora sienna since 1998 would be awe struck when looking at a top level Kia Sorento. Likewise someone who's been driving nothing but BMW'S could point out 500 ares of cost cutting or cheapness in that same Sorento. For some people luxury is technology and features, for others it is the badge, for others it is the way everything works. I'd argue that badge alone is like 75% of the equation.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The RAV4 will get better fuel economy than a Bentayga.
LOL so obviously the Rav4 is better than a Bentayga, duhhhhh. Hahah
Old 02-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Posted this in the official sales thread but since we mentioned luxury brands and comparisons here...

Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Based off the pictures on the Toyota website I wouldn't buy the RAV4 over a RDX. It's too busy with all the lines and angles for my taste & interior looks cheap. To me it's fugly !
The following users liked this post:
Zane Wylder (02-19-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Twinbrings
Based off the pictures on the Toyota website I wouldn't buy the RAV4 over a RDX. It's too busy with all the lines and angles for my taste & interior looks cheap. To me it's fugly !
I didn't want to say it but totally agree lol. It's WAY too busy and over done for my tastes.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why even bother cross shopping the two?

Got a generic run of the mill car tied down by a hybrid system vs the one of the best Acura's.

My sister has an RDX, I drive it and forget it's even a cross over, I'd probably be bored to tears in a hybrid, plus the CVT's >.> Of course, I'm biased, I tune all my cars and currently drive a Ram 1500 w/a Hemi, so MPG's aren't even a concern.

It comes down to this: Save $$$ and be like everyone else, or have something that's fun and a bit uncommon
Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is a useful link for those who are considering buying a hybrid for saving gasoline. Considering Acura's hybrid system costs $1500 extra on a MDX, you can calculate when you can make that back with today's gas prices.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=39870
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What I did when I was cross shopping cars was comparing cars with equal or better trims to the RDX.
Ex. If I wanted a panoramic sunroof, navi, heated leather seats, parking sensors, powered tailgate...how much would that cost on a RAV4?

The reason for that was because one of the RDX's greatest strength was value:money ratio. A similarly equipped X3 was RDX Advanced money. Likewise, a RAV4 Adventure (there's still Limited and Limited Plat above that trim) wasn't much cheaper than the RDX. Keep in mind that the RAV4 is also a new model so you'll have difficulty finding a deal that'll make the RAV4 significantly cheaper than the RDX. I also find that Toyota cars have the highest demand and cost more than their equivalent in the same class, similarly equipped.

If hybrid technology and the gas saving isn't that big a deal for you - then I'd highly suggest the RDX. Take it out for a test drive, then take the RAV4 Hybrid out for a test drive. If you really don't care for the fun the RDX provides, then you have the answer.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by al28
What I did when I was cross shopping cars was comparing cars with equal or better trims to the RDX.
Ex. If I wanted a panoramic sunroof, navi, heated leather seats, parking sensors, powered tailgate...how much would that cost on a RAV4?

The reason for that was because one of the RDX's greatest strength was value:money ratio. A similarly equipped X3 was RDX Advanced money. Likewise, a RAV4 Adventure (there's still Limited and Limited Plat above that trim) wasn't much cheaper than the RDX. Keep in mind that the RAV4 is also a new model so you'll have difficulty finding a deal that'll make the RAV4 significantly cheaper than the RDX. I also find that Toyota cars have the highest demand and cost more than their equivalent in the same class, similarly equipped.

If hybrid technology and the gas saving isn't that big a deal for you - then I'd highly suggest the RDX. Take it out for a test drive, then take the RAV4 Hybrid out for a test drive. If you really don't care for the fun the RDX provides, then you have the answer.
I am under the impression that the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid is not available yet.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have to say, most buyers these days likely do not read manuals completely. With todays cars reading and re-reading is a must do. Heck, I have read the online version for the RDX already a couple of times and am not even an owner. I know my wife won’t read the manual and will depend on me to “train” her. There are many complaints these days on all cars esp for the infotainment systems, thickness of paint, shifting with 8-10 speed transmissions, fuel dilution esp with direct injection and turbo engines, etc. Many are legitimate I am sure but many are also due to owners not understanding how to operate the systems or just that these issues are commonplace in todays vehicles. First year of a New model is a bit of a risk. By third year, there are probably other features etc that could cause issues again. Damn, I do love my basic TSX.., no menus, it does not tell me I am outside the lines and will not pair my phone. No turbo, just a 5 speed auto but not very good fuel economy compared to todays cars..probably similar to an RDX with premium fuel and only 200 hp. When reviewers drive the RDX they probably don’t pay too much attention to infotainment. When I drive a vehicle, I look at the features but for me the handling, shifting, comfort are most important. The RDX does excel in these areas and I will look at the 2020 model when it arrives to supplement my TSX ..already gave our Nissan Xtrail SUV to the kids
Oh, also, gotta say I hate the engine noise and shifting of the RAV4 with 8 speed auto and 2.5L engine, maybe the hybrid with the cvt will be better and I will try this one, but with the complexities of a hybrid and cvt, unsure of long term reliability which is important to me. I drove the mazda CX5 non turbo on a long drive and with the conventional 6 speed transmission and 2.5 L non turbo this car drove very close to my TSX. They have a turbo available that will rival the RDX in performance, but I am somewhat concerned over long term reliability of turbos or of cvt’s. Most of these Mazda vehicles are built in Japan which is another big plus for me.

Last edited by nuke; 04-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nuke
Have to say, most buyers these days likely do not read manuals completely. With todays cars reading and re-reading is a must do. Heck, I have read the online version for the RDX already a couple of times and am not even an owner. I know my wife won’t read the manual and will depend on me to “train” her. There are many complaints these days on all cars esp for the infotainment systems, thickness of paint, shifting with 8-10 speed transmissions, fuel dilution esp with direct injection and turbo engines, etc. Many are legitimate I am sure but many are also due to owners not understanding how to operate the systems or just that these issues are commonplace in todays vehicles. First year of a New model is a bit of a risk. By third year, there are probably other features etc that could cause issues again. Damn, I do love my basic TSX.., no menus, it does not tell me I am outside the lines and will not pair my phone. No turbo, just a 5 speed auto but not very good fuel economy compared to todays cars..probably similar to an RDX with premium fuel and only 200 hp. When reviewers drive the RDX they probably don’t pay too much attention to infotainment. When I drive a vehicle, I look at the features but for me the handling, shifting, comfort are most important. The RDX does excel in these areas and I will look at the 2020 model when it arrives to supplement my TSX ..already gave our Nissan Xtrail SUV to the kids
Oh, also, gotta say I hate the engine noise and shifting of the RAV4 with 8 speed auto and 2.5L engine, maybe the hybrid with the cvt will be better and I will try this one, but with the complexities of a hybrid and cvt, unsure of long term reliability which is important to me. I drove the mazda CX5 non turbo on a long drive and with the conventional 6 speed transmission and 2.5 L non turbo this car drove very close to my TSX. They have a turbo available that will rival the RDX in performance, but I am somewhat concerned over long term reliability of turbos or of cvt’s. Most of these Mazda vehicles are built in Japan which is another big plus for me.
If you're concerned with engine noise, I would not even bother looking at the Rav4 with the CVT. I don't care what anyone says, CVT's are every bit as loud and unreliable as they have ever been.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Toyota makes the quietest V6 and some raspy 4 cylinders....

It will sound like a lawn mower compared to your TSX, and I mean in low rpm driving too...
Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Toyota makes the quietest V6 and some raspy 4 cylinders....

It will sound like a lawn mower compared to your TSX, and I mean in low rpm driving too...
Normally, I would have disagreed with this as I've been in some Corollas and felt the engine was quiet. But the wife and I test drove the Rav4 (non Hybrid) and wow was the engine loud. My wife literally asked the sale guy if there was something wrong with the engine. It was quickly off our list and we eventually settled for the RDX.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
finally test drove the Rav4 Hybrid. Terrible! Has a very cheap feel. The RDX is definitely a much nicer ride in nearly all respects - drive, interior, info tech, etc.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sportsguy
finally test drove the Rav4 Hybrid. Terrible! Has a very cheap feel. The RDX is definitely a much nicer ride in nearly all respects - drive, interior, info tech, etc.
Not surprising. They are not the same class of vehicle. The RAV4 is a high volume economy compact crossover.

I’m confused why people are even comparing these two.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Not surprising. They are not the same class of vehicle. The RAV4 is a high volume economy compact crossover.

I’m confused why people are even comparing these two.
Likely because the top trim RAV4 Hybrid overlaps the RDX pricing. But no comparison in features, amenities, and refinement.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM
Pro

Likely because the top trim RAV4 Hybrid overlaps the RDX pricing. But no comparison in features, amenities, and refinement.
The RAV4 Limited Hybrid is $38.7k MSRP fully loaded.

The Base RDX starts at $37k. Fewer options than the RAV4 but more refined. However the RAV4 has a hybrid powertrain with 41mpg city.

It’s an odd comparison IMO.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Drifting

The RAV4 Limited Hybrid is $38.7k MSRP fully loaded.

The Base RDX starts at $37k. Fewer options than the RAV4 but more refined. However the RAV4 has a hybrid powertrain with 41mpg city.

It’s an odd comparison IMO.
I agree, was just proposing a possible reason to respond to your confusion. Often times the decision is made by 2 people, and the one who has the most pull, wins. ;-)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 PM
Pro

I agree, was just proposing a possible reason to respond to your confusion. Often times the decision is made by 2 people, and the one who has the most pull, wins. ;-)
That’s true...I’ve experienced it first hand.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Is it just me or does the RAV-4 look like a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am not a big fan, it's too trucky looking for me.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by dweilbacher
Normally, I would have disagreed with this as I've been in some Corollas and felt the engine was quiet. But the wife and I test drove the Rav4 (non Hybrid) and wow was the engine loud. My wife literally asked the sale guy if there was something wrong with the engine. It was quickly off our list and we eventually settled for the RDX.

I had a 2.4 2008 Camry and got rid of it for a few reasons... This being one of them...
Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Before my purchase of the rdx, I was heavily considering the 2019 Rav4 XSE. The price was slightly cheaper, the exterior is attractive and the hybrid would have been a welcomed change.

However, when the auto show came around town and I sat in the new rav4 I was extremely disappointed as it felt much much cheaper than the RDX. The seats felt cheap, the interior was bland, the infotainment was horrible. The price difference to upgrade to an rdx immediately felt justifiable
The following 2 users liked this post by hockeyaddict:
substance p (05-16-2019), WT21 (06-21-2019)