2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX

Anyone looking at 2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX ? Seems like a lot of same features ann XSE trim is very similiar in looks to RDX A-Spec.

RAV4 is only $34k so 10-14k cheaper and mucher better MPG, around 40 MPG on the RAV4 Hybrid.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4hybrid/
Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
The new Rav4 is a great looking car. In some sense, a better looking vehicle than the RDX, especially with the dual color roof/body. However, they are just not the same car. One is your run of the mill family hauler and the other is a near-luxury driver's car. There are reasons why so many reviewers use those terms to describe these vehicles, they are not cliches.

You can compare features to features on paper all day long, go test drive both on the same day and you will see the difference.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Advanced

I was talking about the 2019 Hybrid Rav4 - hard to test drive since it will not be released until March or April.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
So you're looking for an opinion? Basically, the Rav4 is going to be a little less quality on fit and finish. It's simply not held to the same standard as RDX.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
In a comparison test Motor Trend rated the current CR-V over the 2019 RAV4. Granted, the RAV4 Hybrid model was not tested. How would the comparison be between the RAV4 and the RDX?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I think C&D or MT rated CX-5 better than both CRV and RAV4 on a test track (granted not the hybrid) . RDX drives so much better than CX-5. I drove the two on the same day. While the CX-5's new turbo engine was preppy, the RDX was far more confident and precise. The SH-AWD is no joke (yes, I will keep repeating the same line on this forum) .
Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
I think C&D or MT rated CX-5 better than both CRV and RAV4 on a test track (granted not the hybrid) . RDX drives so much better than CX-5. I drove the two on the same day. While the CX-5's new turbo engine was preppy, the RDX was far more confident and precise. The SH-AWD is no joke (yes, I will keep repeating the same line on this forum) .
Repeat it as much as you like. It is a fact. SH-AWD is a top level AWD system with real world practical and fun applications. There is literally never a reason not to get it and I am BEYOND thankful it is standard here in Canada. It is a brilliant blend of FWD advantages and RWD advantages with very little to no downsides. I think many people really don't appreciate just how incredible it is that we have real torque vectoring with overdrive in a very affordable brand.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
I would be comparing price and size only.

One is made for the budget eco friendly. The RDX is suited for sport luxury. Before even getting into the details, trim level etc. most people know if they are trying to pinch penny's or if they want a driving experience and high level of comfort.

They fact that your picking the hybrid trim from the Rav 4 is telling me you value MPG aka cost savings on gas and total vehicle cost. Your choice is already made.

Now if the RDX came out with a 2.0t hybrid setup the needle would move a little but the price would go up even more.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by deanoatkinson
I would be comparing price and size only.

One is made for the budget eco friendly. The RDX is suited for sport luxury. Before even getting into the details, trim level etc. most people know if they are trying to pinch penny's or if they want a driving experience and high level of comfort.

They fact that your picking the hybrid trim from the Rav 4 is telling me you value MPG aka cost savings on gas and total vehicle cost. Your choice is already made.

Now if the RDX came out with a 2.0t hybrid setup the needle would move a little but the price would go up even more.
Follow up.

I'm pretty sure the CR-V doesn't have a hybrid, not sure about the Mazda either.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fit and finish on my RDX is horrible. I bet the Rav4 will be better.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
how about comparing it with Honda C-RV. maybe it's in the same class?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced

overall looks and features / tech are the most important things for me. Just seems like Rav4 Hybrid XSE has amazing look and most of the features of RDX A -Spec and they look similiar.

I can spend $60k or $30k , but if SUVs are close I am leaning towards saving $12-15k and get much better MPG (40 for RAV4 Hybrid vs 25 for RDX).

I really like the 2019 RDX, just seems like to many issues / complaints on this board about Tech / Infotainment (Carplay, etc) which is important to me.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsguy
Anyone looking at 2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX ? Seems like a lot of same features ann XSE trim is very similiar in looks to RDX A-Spec.

RAV4 is only $34k so 10-14k cheaper and mucher better MPG, around 40 MPG on the RAV4 Hybrid.

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4hybrid/
Apples and Oranges. Look at a CR-V if you want to cross-shop.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Drifting

overall looks and features / tech are the most important things for me. Just seems like Rav4 Hybrid XSE has amazing look and most of the features of RDX A -Spec and they look similiar.

I can spend $60k or $30k , but if SUVs are close I am leaning towards saving $12-15k and get much better MPG (40 for RAV4 Hybrid vs 25 for RDX).

I really like the 2019 RDX, just seems like to many issues / complaints on this board about Tech / Infotainment (Carplay, etc) which is important to me.
You'll find complaints on any products forum. That's where folks go to first look for a resolution. And many people just keep posting how much they hate the product. Uhem....

In your situation, you seem to be more of a NON luxury buyer, more interested in lower price, better fuel economy and the most content, at that lower price There's nothing wrong with that, Its just not a valid comparison: RAV4 vs RDX. As someone else posted here, RAV4 vs CR-V is the valid comparison. (HINT, you won't likely get a new RAV4 Hybrid, or any RAV4 with any thing resembling the equipment of an RDX for anywhere near $30,000) OH!, And you think they look similar?

Go drive an RDX and the RAV4 back to back.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
The Rav4 looks nice but it looks like its going to be much slower and worse handling than the RDX. The reliability will probably be better just going on Toyota's reputation. 40 mpg is tough to argue with when the RDX is getting about 20 mpg in the real world, though.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
This is not a comparison of like vehicles. People may cross shop them, but in no way are they comparable, except they are both CUV's. One is an entry level lux, while the other is just a nice utilitarian vehicle. You can't go wrong with either, but they are in different classes.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
It can be a comparison if one wants it to be.....what is luxury to 1, is cheap to another......When the RAV 4 is released take it out for a test drive.....Only real opinion that matters is yours and your pocketbook
Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
The Rav4 looks nice but it looks like its going to be much slower
I would add two or three muches to that statement. 0-60 in ~8 seconds, where is my escargot emoticon.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flames9
It can be a comparison if one wants it to be.....what is luxury to 1, is cheap to another......When the RAV 4 is released take it out for a test drive.....Only real opinion that matters is yours and your pocketbook
Like I stated, it can be cross shopped. Someone who thinks the RDX is cheaply appointed, will not even look at a Toyota. I cross shopped Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Acura, Honda, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, Cadillac and Mazda. I left out Lexus/Toyota because I own a Lexus and don't like their current direction. As far as luxury ratings go, I would put the Germans in their own category, slightly above Acura. Cadillac probably fits next, but I was not at all impressed. Then, it was a toss-up between Hyundai and Mazda, followed by Kia and Subaru. Honda last.

So... you're right. They can all be compared. They're just not in the same class. We ended up choosing the Mazda CX-5 Signature based on what my wife valued and I could tolerate. When I'm ready to replace my Lexus ES350 with a CUV in a year, or two, it will be between a Q5 and the RDX. Those were my top choices in the entry level lux segment, which is what I'm used to driving. No way could I drop down to a Toyota. If someone is "truly" comparing a Rav4 with an RDX, they will chose the Rav4 all day, because they will justify it by price.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Racer

The 2019 Rav4 looks more premium than a 2nd gen RDX but I think Acura has them beat now.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by flames9
This all day everyday and all night every night. Of course the RDX is better built (it better be for the price differential) and some people don't care about that or about having a quick or sporty vehicle. Taking that away, what makes the RDX better than the Rav4?

With that being said, I do understand where a lot of people on here are coming from. One is significantly more expensive and has a somewhat different goal in mind. Me personally, I've grown accustomed to nicer vehicles and would find mainstream brands too cheap. So it's really an individual thing.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was twenty or thirty years old, the muscular looking RAV4 would have great appeal to me and I would probably buy it. But now that Im an old fart, the look of refinement plus the sportiness of the RDX makes my decision simple.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gee-vee
If I was twenty or thirty years old, the muscular looking RAV4 would have great appeal to me and I would probably buy it. But now that Im an old fart, the look of refinement plus the sportiness of the RDX makes my decision simple.
Kind of ironic that you say that because I'm in my mid 20's and vastly prefer the RDX to the Rav4.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Old fart here too. I have the 2011 1G RDX - FWD, so I guess I miss out on the SH-AWD factor. Though being in Florida with no hills and mucho traffic, wouldn't probably use it enough anyway to appreciate it. My two cents is, if money is not an object, and you enjoy a more thrilling ride, like people said, RDX is the one. If you are hauling kids to soccer, and want to save upfront money, and money at the pump, then RAV4 is the choice. Heck, I still drive my 2004 Saturn Vue V6 with 173k miles on it most days on the daily commute. All comes down to why you are driving and do you really care how you get from point A to B. I think both cars will have the same safety features, so no trade-offs there. I thoroughly enjoyed doing one oil change and changing the wiper blades this past year. Spent like $75 total for maintenance on two cars. Gas, Insurance, and Registration beyond that, and that was it. Sorry, was getting into my conservative lifestyle of not being fixated on the newest cars unless necessary.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gee-vee
I thought RDX vastly look more aggressive than the RAV4 which is based on their truck lines. Don't let the young singles they show on marketing slides fool you. Most Rav4 buyers are hauling families.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RDX10
With that being said, I do understand where a lot of people on here are coming from. One is significantly more expensive and has a somewhat different goal in mind. Me personally, I've grown accustomed to nicer vehicles and would find mainstream brands too cheap. So it's really an individual thing.
That's exactly how I feel about the Mazda CX 5. It was really nice on paper and with the new engine, it was pushing into near luxury territory. However, after test driving them both back to back, RDX just felt more nicer. Mazda doesn't feel like an upgrade from my current ride while the RDX could sort of muster that feel out of me.

My main concern about the RDX is the number of issues and assembly. For example, both of the two showroom RDX had panel misalignment and seals glue showing excessively. Not to mention a general overall problem with the infotaminment system.

I remain on the fence. I would hate to trade in my reliable GLK for regular trips to the dealers

Last edited by acuraada; 02-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JustMe...
This is not a comparison of like vehicles. People may cross shop them, but in no way are they comparable, except they are both CUV's. One is an entry level lux, while the other is just a nice utilitarian vehicle. You can't go wrong with either, but they are in different classes.
Acura is definitely not in the "luxury" class of SUVs with Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, or Land Rover. The build quality, performance of these SUVs are well above Acura. These are are $50k+ SUVs and most $60-70k+ with options. Spending $45k for a fully loaded RDX Advance is not a "luxury" SUV. Acura should be compared to Grand Cherokee, Lexus, Volvo, Honda, Toyota SUVs - brands that aspire to be viewed as luxury but in reality are not. They all make great SUVs depending on your personal views on features / looks which are subjective but definitely not "luxury".
Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Racer

Acura is definitely not in the "luxury" class of SUVs with Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, or Land Rover. The build quality, performance of these SUVs are well above Acura. These are are $50k+ SUVs and most $60-70k+ with options. Spending $45k for a fully loaded RDX Advance is not a "luxury" SUV. Acura should be compared to Grand Cherokee, Lexus, Volvo, Honda, Toyota SUVs - brands that aspire to be viewed as luxury but in reality are not. They all make great SUVs depending on your personal views on features / looks which are subjective but definitely not "luxury".
Maybe you missed the two words I put before luxury. Acura is like Lexus in their pursuit of the ENTRY LEVEL luxury segment. At least at this price point. Are you claiming that the top end Rav4 has the same quality soft touch materials and amenities as the Advance trimmed RDX?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Lexus isn’t considered luxury? Volvo isn’t luxury? Have you driven either one? The fit/finish/build quality are the definition of luxury in those brands. Luxury is more than just performance.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes . If I am spending 10k-20k+ more I would expect more.

Acura has always been the niche near luxury prices market. Its better than your avg Toyota and Honda but not quite Audi/MB. Its price model fits in that description perfectly. And it has been doing that for years and very successful at it.

Last edited by acuraada; 02-07-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Racer

Doesn't sound like Acura thinks they are a luxury brand. More like Honda+. That's a smart move. Keep prices down and give a bit more than Honda and we'll all be happy to save $10-15k over the competition. Only problem is if the Rav4 gets a better engine, they might get beat at their own game.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/seve...oss-jon-ikeda/
There are several premium brands (Acura, Infiniti, Genesis, Volvo) that aren't seen as "true" luxury, in the same category as the German brands and Lexus. But Volvo is trying to elevate to that status. Does Acura have similar ambitions?

We're focused on what Acura does. We're a performance brand. For us, we're 31 years old and trying to be honest with ourselves. We like the youthful energy. We're going back to our "precision crafted performance" roots. This is not what everyone else is offering. It's what we can bring to the forefront. Trying to pit yourselves against others is not the way to do it. If the other brands want to do that, that's fine. I'm looking for 200,000 people to hang out with us.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:30 AM
Suzuka Master

That's exactly how I feel about the Mazda CX 5. It was really nice on paper and with the new engine, it was pushing into near luxury territory. However, after test driving them both back to back, RDX just felt more nicer. Mazda doesn't feel like an upgrade from my current ride while the RDX could sort of muster that feel out of me.

My main concern about the RDX is the number of issues and assembly. For example, both of the two showroom RDX had panel misalignment and seals glue showing excessively. Not to mention a general overall problem with the infotaminment system.

I remain on the fence. I would hate to trade in my reliable GLK for regular trips to the dealers
I feel that Acura really rushed the production of this generation RDX, the amount of issues and the type of issues (such as the panel gaps) is just not at all what Acura is generally known for. I know they aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be but in terms of fit and finish they are usually pretty solid.

As per the CX-5, not even Mazda is immune to the cost of production. It might offer some cool luxury like things (wood and napa leather) but at the end of the day Mazda is not going to produce a near luxury or luxury level interior for 10-20k cheaper than everyone else. I do think they are the nicest vehicles in their respective classes, definitely at the top of the mainstream segment but you'd have to not know any better to say it is equivalent to the true near luxury and luxury brands. So that's why it ultimately comes down to what people are accustomed to.

My first car was a 2004 VW Touareg, that thing literally had a Bentley steering wheel, shift lever, and gauge cluster as well as various Bentley switch gear here and there. It was built to Porsche standards but at a VW price. So with that being my first car, I can VERY easily see places where cost cutting has occurred and can tell if something is done in a high quality fashion. Now let's say my first car was a sarurn vue or Kia, I would think the new Rav4 was the best thing I've ever seen.

That's why I don't like when people shut down these types of comparisons, it's not fair to assume your perspective is the only way. Oh and I definitely think you should hold on to your GLK at least till the summer, give them a chance to work out all those silly infotainment glitches and shoddy fit and finish.

I both agree and disagree with certain sections of this post. I definitely agree that Acura is NOT a luxury brand. But they aren't trying to be. They are firmly and happily in the near luxury niche in between mainstream Honda/Toyota and proper luxury like Audi, BMW...etc.

Now the one trivial thing I disagree with is that Lexus and Volvo aren't luxury. Have you seen their recent models? The LS and XC90 excellence are no joke man. That XC90 excellence especially is incredible! It keeps up well with the best of the best from Germany and Britain IMO.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Lexus has transitioned nicely over to luxury brand IMHO. You see people easily dropping 60k for RX or 90K for LS. You may not like the car but it is definitely categorized as a luxury in many surveys and reports. However, no one will seemingly pay that premium for an Acura despite the quality or features.

BTW, the fit and finish (assembly issues) are products of the factory. Where they are humans involved, there will be quality issues. There are places around the world that are simply better at car manufacturing due to culture and human factor. You would think that SOP is SOP and automation makes up those localities issues but the reality is otherwise.

Last edited by acuraada; 02-08-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Lexus has transitioned nicely over to luxury brand IMHO. You see people easily dropping 60k for RX or 90K for LS. You may not like the car but it is definitely categorized as a luxury in many surveys and reports. However, no one will seemingly pay that premium for an Acura despite the quality or features.

BTW, the fit and finish (assembly issues) are products of the factory. Where they are humans involved, there will be quality issues. There are places around the world that are simply better at car manufacturing due to culture and human factor. You would think that SOP is SOP and automation makes up those localities issues but the reality is otherwise.
So, not necessarily disagreeing, but are you saying that because RX's sell for $60, that makes them a luxury vehicle?

I think my definition of a luxury vehicle may be different. To me, it's a combination of things: (and it is likely very difficult to quantify, and is most likely different for each of us, but let me try)

That "quality feeling", quietness, and attention to detail, the feel and sound of the swithgear, the higher level of equipment and features, the extra weather strip on the doors, the real wood trim (which honestly is a bragging right rather than a real benefit... (hmm, maybe this is a key, the bragging right????) there are plastic woods that look almost as good. The dealer experience, the longer factory warranty, the top end sound system, the sound of the doors closing, the look of the interior, the quality of the leather, the adjustability of the seats (both fronts), standard multi-LED headlights (they cost extra on the RX!) ....It's the total package to me. how it makes me feel when I sit down behind the wheel, how a passenger reacts when they step in. Lastly, and purposely mentioned last, the quality control, which may appear not to be at the luxury level in some of the current RDXs.

Disclaimer, this is my first "luxury" or "near Luxury" vehicle. I drove many during my research phase before deciding on the RDX, I'll admit, price was one a factor in my decision. I could have purchased anything up to and probably exceeding $60,000, but choose not to . Felt the Lexus RX wasn't worth that much extra money, similarly equipped, and the NX was not even a contender.

So I guess my question would be...Is a true luxury vehicle one that the buyer doesn't care how much it costs????? OR...Is it one that makes the driver/owner feel like it is a luxury vehicle???? Or,is it that a Luxury brand can't have a mainstream brand that it is (mostly) based off of???? (BMW, Mercedes. Volvo. etc) This is the first RDX that isn't based on the CR-V.

One other thought, apparently the cost of service also tags a vehicle as a luxury brand. The Acura salesman told me that the routine service at Acura was almost double the cost of the Honda dealer next door (same owner), and I could bring my RDX next door for the same service for less money. In fact, he kind of insinuated, but stopped short of actually saying it, that they were the same technicians, at least doing the oil changes.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OK-RDX (05-15-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The RAV4 will get better fuel economy than a Bentayga.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
So, not necessarily disagreeing, but are you saying that because RX's sell for $60, that makes them a luxury vehicle?

I think my definition of a luxury vehicle may be different. To me, it's a combination of things: (and it is likely very difficult to quantify, and is most likely different for each of us, but let me try)

That "quality feeling", quietness, and attention to detail, the feel and sound of the swithgear, the higher level of equipment and features, the extra weather strip on the doors, the real wood trim (which honestly is a bragging right rather than a real benefit... (hmm, maybe this is a key, the bragging right????) there are plastic woods that look almost as good. The dealer experience, the longer factory warranty, the top end sound system, the sound of the doors closing, the look of the interior, the quality of the leather, the adjustability of the seats (both fronts), standard multi-LED headlights (they cost extra on the RX!) ....It's the total package to me. how it makes me feel when I sit down behind the wheel, how a passenger reacts when they step in. Lastly, and purposely mentioned last, the quality control, which may appear not to be at the luxury level in some of the current RDXs.

Disclaimer, this is my first "luxury" or "near Luxury" vehicle. I drove many during my research phase before deciding on the RDX, I'll admit, price was one a factor in my decision. I could have purchased anything up to and probably exceeding $60,000, but choose not to . Felt the Lexus RX wasn't worth that much extra money, similarly equipped, and the NX was not even a contender.

So I guess my question would be...Is a true luxury vehicle one that the buyer doesn't care how much it costs????? OR...Is it one that makes the driver/owner feel like it is a luxury vehicle???? Or,is it that a Luxury brand can't have a mainstream brand that it is (mostly) based off of???? (BMW, Mercedes. Volvo. etc) This is the first RDX that isn't based on the CR-V.

One other thought, apparently the cost of service also tags a vehicle as a luxury brand. The Acura salesman told me that the routine service at Acura was almost double the cost of the Honda dealer next door (same owner), and I could bring my RDX next door for the same service for less money. In fact, he kind of insinuated, but stopped short of actually saying it, that they were the same technicians, at least doing the oil changes.
Funny. I bought an NX because I felt it was more luxury than the RDX. The RDX to me was sporty and loud. It rides a little more harsh as well. It’s not a luxury vehicle. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad vehicle.

I don’t think it’s the cost that necessarily defines luxury. It’s the overall fit/finish, attention to detail and material quality. There are a lot of little things Lexus does that sets them apart. I would argue most of their vehicles have a softer and quieter ride.

I previously owned a 2005 TL and a 2012 Infiniti G37x. Neither were luxury vehicles even if they were classified as such. The TL had a harsh ride and lots of interior rattles. The G37 was just loud overall and shared some interior parts with other Nissans. But it was fun to drive.

The RX is a quiet, well built vehicle with really nice interior quality. Expensive? I don’t disagree.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

We are back to the definition of "Luxury" which I agree is entirely subjective but we must have a baseline right?

Also a brand will always have a model that's made for the masses at lower price. What's the best selling vehicle for BMW? Not their most expensive model, it's the 3 series and X3!
You can nitpick and tear inside out on a vehicle and their luxury worthiness that was not my point but rather the the brand itself.

so I reference many industry/publications categorization and Lexus is definitely there and so is Acura. But I made the point that the unique market position Acura has put itself in which is near luxury. And yes, the position is based on price. This is not my opinion, it's a fact.

Why pay 90-100k when you can get the same luxury for 20-30k less?

That's Acura to me, a valued luxury and performance brand.

​​​​

Last edited by acuraada; 02-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ross7777

Funny. I bought an NX because I felt it was more luxury than the RDX. The RDX to me was sporty and loud. It rides a little more harsh as well. It’s not a luxury vehicle. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad vehicle.

I don’t think it’s the cost that necessarily defines luxury. It’s the overall fit/finish, attention to detail and material quality. There are a lot of little things Lexus does that sets them apart. I would argue most of their vehicles have a softer and quieter ride.

I previously owned a 2005 TL and a 2012 Infiniti G37x. Neither were luxury vehicles even if they were classified as such. The TL had a harsh ride and lots of interior rattles. The G37 was just loud overall and shared some interior parts with other Nissans. But it was fun to drive.

The RX is a quiet, well built vehicle with really nice interior quality. Expensive? I don’t disagree.
GRRR! I had a whole reply typed, and accidentally clicked on something that said "restore saved" rather than "submit" and it is now gone!!!

Anyway...recreating...

The RX WAS my gold standard when I started shopping for my "luxury" brand vehicle, however, it being ~$60,000, and bigger than I really wanted, I also drove the NX. It was a let down to me compared to the RX (Sorry!) I then drove the RDX within 30 minutes of the NX, and was very impressed. The enhanced engine sounds that had been mentioned here and in many reviews was a concern, but turns out it isn't an issue. I drive mostly in Comfort mode, and the occasional times I use Sport or Sport+ it sounds interesting, and appropriate.

As I mentioned, the definition of a luxury vehicle is most likely different for each of us, which is a good thing!

PS, Acura service (PDI) dept isn't doing themselves any favor with leaving the tire pressures at 40+ for test drives.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-08-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 AM
Pro

I somewhat agree. I wouldn’t call it the same luxury for $20-30k less though. It’s close.

Acura has positioned themselves as a performance brand. Have you seen the TV spots for the RDX? It’s set to rock music while the RDX drives in a circle kicking up dust.

But as you said, people have different definitions of luxury.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ross7777
I somewhat agree. I wouldn’t call it the same luxury for $20-30k less though. It’s close.

Acura has positioned themselves as a performance brand. Have you seen the TV spots for the RDX? It’s set to rock music while the RDX drives in a circle kicking up dust.

But as you said, people have different definitions of luxury.
No, sorry, I don't watch TV ads, only watch TV via DVR, and always fast forward through ads.

Quick Reply: 2019 RAV4 Hybrid vs 2019 RDX