2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by vetdude
Latest issue of 'Motor Trend' states Spring 2018.
Which is what we have been saying for months. They release the new model each spring.....
Old 08-31-2017, 08:33 AM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
Which is what we have been saying for months. They release the new model each spring.....
Yes, exactly. I expect it will debut at the NAIAS in January, and will be available for purchase in 2nd Quarter, 2018 (April to June timeframe).
Old 08-31-2017, 09:49 AM
NJT

Best spy shots yet in this article. It also now states that it will debut at the LA Auto Show in late 2017.

https://www.motor1.com/news/178557/2...x-spied-again/
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wilson
Best spy shots yet in this article. It also now states that it will debut at the LA Auto Show in late 2017.

https://www.motor1.com/news/178557/2...x-spied-again/
I hope those wheels are not the actual new gen wheels.Those wheels are horrible.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:12 AM
NJT

Originally Posted by colt427
I hope those wheels are not the actual new gen wheels.Those wheels are horrible.
I agree. I imagine they will come up with something nice/creative for the wheels. I am really hoping they move away from the button shifter, but something tells me they will keep it.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting. I think the mdx should evolve in its present direction making the third row optional and have the rdx shed a few pounds to become more nimble and tech driven using this cdx platform.

Acura's Tiny CDX: A Honda HR-V Dressed Up for Prom ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...s-at-honda-now
Old 09-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Himecraig
Interesting. I think the mdx should evolve in its present direction making the third row optional and have the rdx shed a few pounds to become more nimble and tech driven using this cdx platform.

Acura's Tiny CDX: A Honda HR-V Dressed Up for Prom ? News ? Car and Driver Car and Driver Blog

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...s-at-honda-now
While I have often argued that the third row should be optional on the MDX, I think the RDX is fine where it is. If anything it could be a little bigger for those of us more concerned about hauling stuff than people. Let Acura bring the CDX here if they want to, but a Fit-based RDX should never be a thing.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
While I have often argued that the third row should be optional on the MDX, I think the RDX is fine where it is. If anything it could be a little bigger for those of us more concerned about hauling stuff than people. Let Acura bring the CDX here if they want to, but a Fit-based RDX should never be a thing.
That's what I'm wondering....what if there was no rdx in the mix.
You just said the rdx is fine except could be a little bigger.

i always play rdx or mdx? with the wife when driving around spotting ones in the wild.
i honestly can't tell the difference...everything the mdx has is what should be in the rdx...just make the third row optional.

I'd be hard pressed deciding to buy today if there was an mdx variant of what Honda calls a 'sport' or SI version (read rdx) and then offer a smaller highly tuned tech advanced 1.5t cdx fastback cuv type vehicle.

Being that the rdx is the best seller what a dilemma Acura has created with unclear direction...
those domestic July sales numbers for the RLX (63) omg.
Honda has pumped life into the civic platform with a new hatch and a type r variant.
Acura should follow if not LEAD the way...that's what I thought the brand is supposed to be.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Racer

The MDX and the RDX keep Acura afloat.
The car line sales blow.

If Honda screws up the RDX and/or MDX , the Acura line will be in deep do-do.

Last edited by colt427; 09-01-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Himecraig
That's what I'm wondering....what if there was no rdx in the mix.
You just said the rdx is fine except could be a little bigger.

i always play rdx or mdx? with the wife when driving around spotting ones in the wild.
i honestly can't tell the difference...everything the mdx has is what should be in the rdx...just make the third row optional.

I'd be hard pressed deciding to buy today if there was an mdx variant of what Honda calls a 'sport' or SI version (read rdx) and then offer a smaller highly tuned tech advanced 1.5t cdx fastback cuv type vehicle.

Being that the rdx is the best seller what a dilemma Acura has created with unclear direction...
those domestic July sales numbers for the RLX (63) omg.
Honda has pumped life into the civic platform with a new hatch and a type r variant.
Acura should follow if not LEAD the way...that's what I thought the brand is supposed to be.
I hate that you have to take the third row with the MDX. I haul stuff, not people. We'll see if anything comes of the rumored Passport return, if that's what they call it. If it's a sportier, 2-row version of the Pilot, it could hit the sweet spot. Something the size of the Edge and Murano with the V6 would be ideal. (Even more ideal would be an option for the MDX's hybrid drivetrain, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to bet on that happening.)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm liking the interior of the 2018 Accord a lot:

Enough hard buttons to avoid messing with the touchscreen for the routine tasks is a big plus for me. I'd take that in my 2019 RDX in a heartbeat.

Am I seeing a HUD projector behing the cockpit? A HUD and a real shifter would be sweet too.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MHarnois
A HUD and a real shifter would be sweet too.
If it gets the 2.0T from the Accord (and I can't see why it wouldn't) the 10-sp will be the transmission and it appears they have lifted shift "panel" from the MDX so it will likely be what ends up in the new RDX...
Old 09-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MHarnois
I'm liking the interior of the 2018 Accord a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nowe-r3TQZ4

Enough hard buttons to avoid messing with the touchscreen for the routine tasks is a big plus for me. I'd take that in my 2019 RDX in a heartbeat.

Am I seeing a HUD projector behing the cockpit? A HUD and a real shifter would be sweet too.

I can't deal with the JC Whitney cheap stick on look infotainment center.screen. Especially with the radio knobs.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:45 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello All I am glad that I found this site. Very knowledgeable people here. I have been waiting patiently for the arrival of the redesign RDX. I was disappointed when the redesign did not take place for 2018 as originally thought last year. I always liked the design and value of the RDX but held back from buying due to the obsolete and cumbersome infotainment system. I do hope they keep the V6 but the turbo engine is becoming very common to other SUVs' Just don't give me a CVT, lol. Acura has had plenty of time to get this right. I hope that they are successful
Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Brooklyn, I'm in the same boat. Was hoping for the redesign this year. Hate waiting nearly an entire year to see what they offer. Very tempted to jump in now on a 2018, keep it for two years and then move to a 2019. After all, it might be best NOT to get the first year of the big redesign but rather wait for a year or maybe even 2 after they "refine" the redesign. Very tempted...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:16 PM
9th Gear

I have decided to wait until I see what the 2019 RDX will include. The prices are very tempting right now but I would be kicking myself if the 19 turns out to be the vehicle that was worth waiting for. I have taken test rides in the Sorento V6, the CRV Touring, and of course the RDX. A well designed infotainment system is important to me. I was not impressed with the system installed on the RDX. The two screens are fine but the system itself needs an update. I came close to purchasing a leftover Sorento. The price was right but I didn't like the configuration. You have to get a third row in order to have the V6. I want room for stuff and not additional seats. Otherwise the comfort and ride was very nice. I was very impressed with the look, power, and ride of the RDX. I only hope that the redesign maintains the engine and powertrain while modernizing the electronics. If not the CRV Touring is another one of my options
Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrooklynJG
I have decided to wait until I see what the 2019 RDX will include. The prices are very tempting right now but I would be kicking myself if the 19 turns out to be the vehicle that was worth waiting for. I have taken test rides in the Sorento V6, the CRV Touring, and of course the RDX. A well designed infotainment system is important to me. I was not impressed with the system installed on the RDX. The two screens are fine but the system itself needs an update. I came close to purchasing a leftover Sorento. The price was right but I didn't like the configuration. You have to get a third row in order to have the V6. I want room for stuff and not additional seats. Otherwise the comfort and ride was very nice. I was very impressed with the look, power, and ride of the RDX. I only hope that the redesign maintains the engine and powertrain while modernizing the electronics. If not the CRV Touring is another one of my options
Amen, brother. I actually really like the Sorento. It punches above it's price class. I found it to be quiet and comfortable, but I didn't like the mandatory third row in the Limited, and I felt the headrests were overly intrusive. I understand the headrests have been redesigned for 2018, so I guess I wasn't alone. I think we're getting a refreshed Sorento for MY 2019.

If you're looking for bargains, or just want to kill a half an hour, check out an Edge Sport. With A-Plan pricing and current discounts, you can get $8k to $9k off remaining 2017's. They are very quick, well-equipped even in the base configuration, and Sync 3 is one of the best all around infotainment systems I've tried.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Pro

Out of curiosity, what is the big deal about a mandatory third row? It folds flat if I am not mistaken and then you can simply buy a cargo tray to keep there most of the time and nobody would know it is there. The advantage is if you ever need a third row, it i there all the time. I had a first year Audi Q7 which had the optional third row. I didn't get it, but wished I did later on when I had to carry a bunch of folks around.

Last edited by chickdr; 09-07-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chickdr
Out of curiosity, what is the big deal about a mandatory third row? It folds flat if I am not mistaken and then you can simply buy a cargo tray to keep there most of the time and nobody would know it is there. The advantage is if you ever need a third row, it i there all the time. I had a first year Audi Q7 which had the optional third row. I didn't get it, but wished I did later on when I had to carry a bunch of folks around.
It folds, but it can raise the height of the cargo floor, reducing overall capacity. In some cases, accommodating a third row also results in compromised second row legroom, too, and it often eliminates the ability to carry a spare tire, and can even reduce the size of the fuel tank. Plus, in every case, you have the extra cost and weight. Even with the third row folded, the MDX has the cargo capacity of a smaller mid-size 2-row crossover.

I don't know the specifics, but part of the problem has to do with EPA classifications. FWD crossovers with three rows benefit from a different classification than the same vehicle with just two rows. Two rows aren't a problem if it has AWD. Every version of the new Tiguan with FWD has three rows, while it's a $500 option on AWD models. If manufacturers want to offer a third row so they can offer FWD-only, is it worth the trouble to engineer a 2-row version? In most cases it appears they've decided it isn't.

The GMC Acadia is offered with two or three rows depending on the trim. The 2-row's lift-over height is the same, and the floor is only marginally lower, but the 2-row model has a completely flat floor with an integral cargo retention system, plus a lot of under floor storage that you don't get with the three row option. For somebody like me who carries a lot of stuff and very few people, those little differences can be a big deal.

Acadia 2-row

Acadia 3-row

The new Tiguan's third row increases the load floor height noticeably.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BrooklynJG
I'm with you and the Volvo XC60 2018 would be on my list if the dealer wasn't that far.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM
9th Gear

Hot Rod Very good points and pictures. With the Sorento they have to put the spare tire underneath the chassis which could cause a troublesome time removing it. I think its difficult for a company to try and capture the two and three row customers with one model. At least with Acura you have the MDX if you require third row seats

MHarnois I do like the redesigned Volvo XC60 but I believe that the price is about $10K more than a RDX
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I hate that you have to take the third row with the MDX. I haul stuff, not people. We'll see if anything comes of the rumored Passport return, if that's what they call it. If it's a sportier, 2-row version of the Pilot, it could hit the sweet spot. Something the size of the Edge and Murano with the V6 would be ideal. (Even more ideal would be an option for the MDX's hybrid drivetrain, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to bet on that happening.)
thats why most people drive with the third row down?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Can't wait until they make RDX turbo again. I am on 10 year old 2008 RDX with 155K miles. The car runs great. I love turbo in it.... I was going to buy 2017 RDX, but was very disappointed in its v6 performance and lack of SH-AWD. If turbo and SH-AWD are back, I am getting it!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
I have driven and been a passenger in many 2.5l and smaller turbos and have never found one yet to be as smooth or quiet as a V6.The Lexus NX 200t being the latest one..
It all depends what you looking in the car, if you looking for a sportier ride with some *excitement*, turbo definitely delivers on it. v4 turbo engine has less weight and provides a lot of power. I love my 2008 RDX turbo with 155K miles, I did not like 2017 RDX. Waiting for turbo!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
It all depends what you looking in the car, if you looking for a sportier ride with some *excitement*, turbo definitely delivers on it. v4 turbo engine has less weight and provides a lot of power. I love my 2008 RDX turbo with 155K miles, I did not like 2017 RDX. Waiting for turbo!
I'm totally with you on the excitement part. My 2008 feels like a sports car compared to a 2G RDX. I suspect the only way the RDX would come back to it's roots as sport SUV would be as an A-spec or Type S option. I don't see them messing with the more successful formula they've had since 2013, but would love to see some more configurations available for the RDX.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 09-09-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Didnt know the mdx hybrid had 3.0l v6. Maybe the Rdx could work with that an add a power adder with moderate boost 8-9 psi, would make 300hp easily vs turbo 4 that would need to be cranked to near 20 psi like the Type R.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Advanced

With the SH-AWD, do you need to replace all four tires if you pop one?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by johnnyvn
With the SH-AWD, do you need to replace all four tires if you pop one?
Its recommended that on the same axel tires are the same kind and have same wear. Otherwise might damage AWD.
mixing tires on front and rear is OK, but not ideal.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GBraidi88
Didnt know the mdx hybrid had 3.0l v6. Maybe the Rdx could work with that an add a power adder with moderate boost 8-9 psi, would make 300hp easily vs turbo 4 that would need to be cranked to near 20 psi like the Type R.
You're suggesting they turbocharge the 3.0L V6? Sounds great, but it seems highly unlikely. With port injection, the 3.0L isn't terribly sophisticated. I think it's only in the lineup for use in China, where displacement limitations prevent them from using the 3.5L. It would need significant updates (read $$$) to do what you're suggesting. They can achieve 300 HP with the normally aspirated 3.5L V6, or they can save some weight, space and money, and just use the turbocharged 4-cylinder, which is precisely what I expect them to do. The hybrid, assuming their is one, could use a similar 3-motor drivetrain, but with the 4-cylinder in place of the MDX's V6. I'd prefer the V6 myself, but the 4-cylinder will be easier to package, and will likely achieve higher EPA ratings. (Sadly, real-world efficiency doesn't matter to manufacturers.)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Its recommended that on the same axel tires are the same kind and have same wear. Otherwise might damage AWD.
mixing tires on front and rear is OK, but not ideal.
My tire guy told me that many places in the U.S. will refuse to sell you one or two tires for an AWD vehicle, because otherwise, they open themselves up to lawsuits when the AWD system breaks down from using differing tires. With that in mind, I will probably NEVER own an AWD vehicle, because I have no interest in constantly replacing 4 tires at at time. Way too much $$$
Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
My tire guy told me that many places in the U.S. will refuse to sell you one or two tires for an AWD vehicle, because otherwise, they open themselves up to lawsuits when the AWD system breaks down from using differing tires. With that in mind, I will probably NEVER own an AWD vehicle, because I have no interest in constantly replacing 4 tires at at time. Way too much $$$
Your tire guy is only partially correct. Ok so not all AWD systems are the same, some are full time 50:50 (or some variation thereof) front and back. Then you have the part time on demand systems. Some are 100% rear and then when slip is detected send up to 50% of the power forwards and others are 100% FWD (current RDX is in this camp) and when slip is detected send upto 50% to the rear.

In cases of full time AWD, the tires on the front and rear have to be within 1mm of each other and they must be the same across each axle. In other cases (I.E the part time on demand AWD systems) there is a greater tolerance of upto a few mm difference between axles allowed but across the same axle tires should be the same. The main factor here being that most part time systems use a clutch setup that allows for slip (why you don't ever have grinding like a 4X4 system) so if the tires aren't matched it's not a big deal. However in most cases full time AWD systems rely on a center differential or other more rigid mechanical linkage (old Quattro, 4matic, some X-drive...etc) and therefore there really isn't really any "mechanical slack" in the system so the tires should be evenly matched as not to stress the AWD and transmission components.

So to recap it depends on the AWD system and also regardless of system all tires should be of the same brand/kind and regardless of system tires should be the same across each axle.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

From the manual:
"It is best to replace all four tires at the same time. If that is not possible or necessary, replace the two front tires or two rear tires as a pair. Replacing just one tire can seriously affect your vehicle's handling."

It does not say that it will damage SH-AWD system. On other AWD systems, such as Audi, the manual actually state that it could damage it. It's perfectly fine to replace tires in pairs on the same axel, will not damage Acura SH-AWD.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

v4 Turbo would be just fine. Maybe they can even make car smaller, I am not sure why current generation RDX is bigger than the first gen. Seems like they downsized Honda Accord, maybe RDX will shrink too.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
Your tire guy is only partially correct. Ok so not all AWD systems are the same, some are full time 50:50 (or some variation thereof) front and back. Then you have the part time on demand systems. Some are 100% rear and then when slip is detected send up to 50% of the power forwards and others are 100% FWD (current RDX is in this camp) and when slip is detected send upto 50% to the rear.

In cases of full time AWD, the tires on the front and rear have to be within 1mm of each other and they must be the same across each axle. In other cases (I.E the part time on demand AWD systems) there is a greater tolerance of upto a few mm difference between axles allowed but across the same axle tires should be the same. The main factor here being that most part time systems use a clutch setup that allows for slip (why you don't ever have grinding like a 4X4 system) so if the tires aren't matched it's not a big deal. However in most cases full time AWD systems rely on a center differential or other more rigid mechanical linkage (old Quattro, 4matic, some X-drive...etc) and therefore there really isn't really any "mechanical slack" in the system so the tires should be evenly matched as not to stress the AWD and transmission components.

So to recap it depends on the AWD system and also regardless of system all tires should be of the same brand/kind and regardless of system tires should be the same across each axle.
RDX, the main point my tire guy was making wasn't whether or not replacing 1 or 2 tires would be ok for the car but rather that some businesses (he pointed out CostCo) were refusing to put anything less than 4 tires on any AWD vehicle because they have already been sued for doing so.

He did point out to me that the Honda CR-V had a "mechanical" system which did not require replacing all four. He wasn't sure whether the current Acura SH-AWD had a similar mechanical component. I presume that it does?
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

RDX, the main point my tire guy was making wasn't whether or not replacing 1 or 2 tires would be ok for the car but rather that some businesses (he pointed out CostCo) were refusing to put anything less than 4 tires on any AWD vehicle because they have already been sued for doing so.

He did point out to me that the Honda CR-V had a "mechanical" system which did not require replacing all four. He wasn't sure whether the current Acura SH-AWD had a similar mechanical component. I presume that it does?
Oh ok i see what you are trying to say. Costco will sell you 2 tires, however they will only install them on the rear axle only, at least that has been my experience. Then again in Canada we are WAY less sue happy.

The CRV has a clutch system so not really mechanical in the sense of a differential or transfer case. The RDX is the same. The older 2007-2012 RDX with SH-AWD and other current models with SH-AWD use 2 clutches on each rear half axle connected to a central constantly powered differential but since the SH-AWD system is a full time system and can send up to 70% of the power to the rear (more importantly it can send 100% of that 70% to one wheel) so I would NEVER have majorly uneven wheels on a SH-AWD equipped vehicle. But since it uses clutches and not rigid components it still has a slight bit of tolerance.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10
Oh ok i see what you are trying to say. Costco will sell you 2 tires, however they will only install them on the rear axle only, at least that has been my experience. Then again in Canada we are WAY less sue happy.

The CRV has a clutch system so not really mechanical in the sense of a differential or transfer case. The RDX is the same. The older 2007-2012 RDX with SH-AWD and other current models with SH-AWD use 2 clutches on each rear half axle connected to a central constantly powered differential but since the SH-AWD system is a full time system and can send up to 70% of the power to the rear (more importantly it can send 100% of that 70% to one wheel) so I would NEVER have majorly uneven wheels on a SH-AWD equipped vehicle. But since it uses clutches and not rigid components it still has a slight bit of tolerance.
The owners manual does not say that damage will occur, they just warn that you might not get desired handling. I've replaced half worn tires on the axel with two new ones of the same kind when I had tire bubble on one.
The good tires run $200+ per tire, its insane to replace all 4 when you damage one.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 AM
Advanced

Part of the problem for me is that people drive a lot in Los Angeles; public transportation here is not very efficient. I work 17 miles from my home, so I drive about 20,000 miles per year. My tire guy was saying that on certain AWD systems and on certain tires, having less than 1/8" difference of tread on tires can cause damage to (certain) AWD systems. He also said that you could get 1/8" tread difference just driving 5,000 miles (or even less on certain tires). It seems like I am constantly replacing tires on all our family cars. I would hate to hit a pothole (quite a lot of them on our freeways) and know that I just lost $400+ of tires. Even if that happened once or twice a year, I wouldn't be happy.

I can see AWD becoming much more important if I 1) lived in a snow climate or 2) did a lot of "off road" travel in the car. But for me, I don't think the extra traction and possibly handling would be worth the risk of replacing more tires on a more frequent basis....
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Snow and off-road are not the only benefits, SH-AWD provides better handling on dry roads during curves and overall improves handling.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

The owners manual does not say that damage will occur, they just warn that you might not get desired handling. I've replaced half worn tires on the axel with two new ones of the same kind when I had tire bubble on one.
The good tires run $200+ per tire, its insane to replace all 4 when you damage one.
What year is your RDX?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by russiandude
snow and off-road are not the only benefits, sh-awd provides better handling on dry roads during curves and overall improves handling.
Originally Posted by rdx10
what year is your rdx?

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12