2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

In your opinion were the proportions as good as they look in the pictures? I can’t wait to go to the auto show in April and see it.
The proportions and overall exterior styling are definitely an improvement over the 2G RDX, but IMO it isn't a standout in the overcrowded compact SUV sugment.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
I was at the show last weekend but I didn't measure it up. I think it doesn't look any bigger than the current CRV. The huge wheels on the prototype give people wrong ideas that this is a huge SUV which it isnt.

This is the only pic I took.
Was it accessible for a closer look at the inside?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I saw it at both the detroit autoshow and the toronto auto show. At the toronto show the door wasn't open and when i asked i was told they couldn't open it. Therefore no looking inside beyond trying to look through the window. At detroit the door was open. What can i say....it looked nice. And i imagine once you add the A-spec trim on it will look ever better with the slightly more aggressive look. Got a close look at the jewel front. It's gorgeous. It's a great size for an SUV in this segment. To compare, the Lexus NX is a big joke. I had my brother with me which is 6'2 and he literally could not sit in the driver seat even with the seat ALL the way back. The trunk was also tiny. When I saw the RDX trunk at the autoshow in detroit it looked very spacious for a vehicle of this size. Unfortunately at both shows, you couldn't go up close to the car or sit inside.

Again, the rep didn't know when more details would be out but did say that they are working on pricing right now. We shall see.....
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Well I mean in fairness the 2013+ RDX was selling 50K+ units annually in the U.S year after year. They really did not have to change anything. They could have kept the ancient V6, 6 speed auto, garbage AWD system and pretty much mildly updated the looks and it still would have sold well. I do agree though that it is awesome they never watered down the looks from the prototype. The fact they returned SH-AWD alone tells me that they are taking it very seriously. Real wood and aluminum, 16 way seats, adaptive suspension, 16 speaker 700+ watt sound system, 12.3” nav screen, even looking at the stitching down the center console. These are all things that go above and beyond what Acura has ever done in the past, this really shows they want to compete with the big guns. What remains to be seen is price...they could put a foot in their mouth and try aggressively moving upmarket and fail.
This will only bode well for the second generation TLX and the return of the Type-S.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SK1124
I saw it at both the detroit autoshow and the toronto auto show. At the toronto show the door wasn't open and when i asked i was told they couldn't open it. Therefore no looking inside beyond trying to look through the window. At detroit the door was open. What can i say....it looked nice. And i imagine once you add the A-spec trim on it will look ever better with the slightly more aggressive look. Got a close look at the jewel front. It's gorgeous. It's a great size for an SUV in this segment. To compare, the Lexus NX is a big joke. I had my brother with me which is 6'2 and he literally could not sit in the driver seat even with the seat ALL the way back. The trunk was also tiny. When I saw the RDX trunk at the autoshow in detroit it looked very spacious for a vehicle of this size. Unfortunately at both shows, you couldn't go up close to the car or sit inside.

Again, the rep didn't know when more details would be out but did say that they are working on pricing right now. We shall see.....
I know it's just an educated guess but seeing other SUVs, eg NX, X3, Q5 etc. do you think it's grown from the Gen 2 RDX size?
Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Hint of What is Yet to Come

https://www.motor1.com/news/234214/2...dx-spy-photos/
Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Looks like a test target.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey everyone, just a side note...I bought a 2018 RDX Advance (non-AWD) last fall. I needed a new car after my son racked up one of ours. I leased the RDX, thinking that if I liked the 2019, I would jump on that version in its second year release. I've driven the 2018 for almost six months now, and I have to say that the engine is pretty darn nice. Really accelerates when I need it to. I hope that the 2019 engine is as strong...and I think I saw something about a 6L Turbo maybe coming for the 2019 in addition to the stock 4L Turbo? If so, I'd spend the extra $$ and go for the 6. Could be killer. And yes, I think I do prefer the styling of the 2019 over the somewhat bland 2018. Looking forward to seeing a 2019 in person!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:04 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Until Acura puts it out there, the only official powertrain right now for the 3G RDX is the 2.0T/10AT combo, and it will be available in A-Spec form if you want something more sporty (see cosmetic upgrades and a slightly stiffer suspension over the stock). A did see a few posters state a Type-S RDX with the 3.0T is coming, but until it comes straight from the horse's mouth, salt, lots of it. Personally, I would love to see a full fat sport version of the RDX that competes with the likes of the X3 M40i and Q5S.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Until Acura puts it out there, the only official powertrain right now for the 3G RDX is the 2.0T/10AT combo, and it will be available in A-Spec form if you want something more sporty (see cosmetic upgrades and a slightly stiffer suspension over the stock). A did see a few posters state a Type-S RDX with the 3.0T is coming, but until it comes straight from the horse's mouth, salt, lots of it. Personally, I would love to see a full fat sport version of the RDX that competes with the likes of the X3 M40i and Q5S.
Exactly.

People are saying the RDX is getting a Type S variant because during the unveiling for the RDX in Detroit, the Acura spokesperson stated that the Type-S moniker would be returning. They in no way said the RDX would be getting it. I do think it would be smart though, it would help spread development costs of the Type-S powertrain and SRT, M, AMG, S/RS, are proof that it would sell. Really hoping they go that way.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Exactly.

People are saying the RDX is getting a Type S variant because during the unveiling for the RDX in Detroit, the Acura spokesperson stated that the Type-S moniker would be returning. They in no way said the RDX would be getting it. I do think it would be smart though, it would help spread development costs of the Type-S powertrain and SRT, M, AMG, S/RS, are proof that it would sell. Really hoping they go that way.

If Acura does go with a RDX Type-S, what would be the engine choices 306hp/295tq 2.0T like the Civic Type-R or a de-tuned version of the 3.0T (or high reving version of an i-Vtec NA 3.0) for the RDX Type-S? Seems like the 7DCT, 9DCT, or even the current 9AT are the only transmission that can handle more than 275lbs of TQ? I can see Acura keeping the Accord 2.0T hp/tq ratings and adding sport-hybrid tech to up the performance for a Type-S RDX above the A-spec model.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:18 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
If Acura does go with a RDX Type-S, what would be the engine choices 306hp/295tq 2.0T like the Civic Type-R or a de-tuned version of the 3.0T (or high reving version of an i-Vtec NA 3.0) for the RDX Type-S? Seems like the 7DCT, 9DCT, or even the current 9AT are the only transmission that can handle more than 275lbs of TQ? I can see Acura keeping the Accord 2.0T hp/tq ratings and adding sport-hybrid tech to up the performance for a Type-S RDX above the A-spec model.
I would do what the Germans do, and just spread the same powertrain across the models. From a cost perspective, it would make more sense to use the same powertrain from the upcoming TLX Type-S. But then again, this is Honda/Acura we're talking about and they like to create artificial segmentation among their models. Look at the HP rating on the Pilot, Ridgeline, Accord, MDX, TLX, RDX, and RLX. Slight differences in power ratings and fuel requirements, but essentially the same damn thing lol.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
I would do what the Germans do, and just spread the same powertrain across the models. From a cost perspective, it would make more sense to use the same powertrain from the upcoming TLX Type-S. But then again, this is Honda/Acura we're talking about and they like to create artificial segmentation among their models. Look at the HP rating on the Pilot, Ridgeline, Accord, MDX, TLX, RDX, and RLX. Slight differences in power ratings and fuel requirements, but essentially the same damn thing lol.
This.

They should use the powertrain from whatever the first Type-S vehicle is. As much as I like the sport hybrid tech, I think it has too many limitations (I.E incapable of sending more than 60 ish HP to the rear wheels because of no driveshaft) and 320-350hp is really not enough to compete with true performance CUV’s. Look at mercedes, so many models come with 43amg and 63amg versions or even audi with that 3.0T for example. Spread that engine as much as you can to lower development costs.

I hate that stupid HP divide that Acura follows. NOBODY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING MDX OR TLX OR RLX SIZED IS GOING TO BUY AN RDX OR TLX/ILX JUST BECAUSE IT MAKES MORE HP. Give me a break already. That’s the most backwards thought process. Period. No other manufacturer follows this convention whatsoever.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts

This.

They should use the powertrain from whatever the first Type-S vehicle is. As much as I like the sport hybrid tech, I think it has too many limitations (I.E incapable of sending more than 60 ish HP to the rear wheels because of no driveshaft) and 320-350hp is really not enough to compete with true performance CUV’s. Look at mercedes, so many models come with 43amg and 63amg versions or even audi with that 3.0T for example. Spread that engine as much as you can to lower development costs.

I hate that stupid HP divide that Acura follows. NOBODY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING MDX OR TLX OR RLX SIZED IS GOING TO BUY AN RDX OR TLX/ILX JUST BECAUSE IT MAKES MORE HP. Give me a break already. That’s the most backwards thought process. Period. No other manufacturer follows this convention whatsoever.
Agreed...

Acura won't be taken seriously at the same level with the other Luxury brands until they make A-Spec, Type-S, Type-R standard with way more hp/tq compared to now and let aftermarket support back in for every vehicle in its line-up. The bad thing about this is all the parts needed are already sitting in the parts bin or just being wasted on low volume vehicles like the RLX or NSX.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts

Exactly.

I'm 99.9% positive I read somewhere that the RDX-S is coming, once they launch the V6T.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm 99.9% positive I read somewhere that the RDX-S is coming, once they launch the V6T.
If you remember where, please post the link. While I know they're working on the turbo V6, I've seen nothing confirming it's coming to the RDX. I wonder if it will even fit.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed...

Acura won't be taken seriously at the same level with the other Luxury brands until they make A-Spec, Type-S, Type-R standard with way more hp/tq compared to now and let aftermarket support back in for every vehicle in its line-up. The bad thing about this is all the parts needed are already sitting in the parts bin or just being wasted on low volume vehicles like the RLX or NSX.
Yes 100%. They need to give more power to be taken seriously. 290hp and 250 pound/feet would make it in 2005 in the luxury class but not in 2018. I also agree rhat they have the parts on the shelf but reserve them to models that nobody buys. Why the MDX never came with the RLX sport hybrid tech I will never ever understand. You know because someone buying an MDX is going to buy an RLX because it makes more HP....

I’m 100% positive that Acura never ever said the RDX would be getting a Type-S. version. They said that Type-S would be returning in a few years but made zero claims that the RDX would be receiving that powertrain. That’s not to say down the line it can’t happen, but I guarantee that a MDX-S would be launched before an RDX-S because Acura.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
If you remember where, please post the link. While I know they're working on the turbo V6, I've seen nothing confirming it's coming to the RDX. I wonder if it will even fit.
Me neither. Have seen zero stating the RDX is going to see a Type-S variant. I would love it, but it’s probably not happening.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Somewhere I read that the front of the chassis was sized to take a V6. That is part of what made it an 'exclusive' chassis. That and the rear was modified for the SH-AWD. Can't find the article, but it is out there somewhere.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Question for you car audio enthusiasts. How does the ELS sound system stack up against other sound systems in the industry (Burmeister in the GLC, harmon kardon, bose in the mazda, etc.)? Watched a few reviews of the one in other Acuras like the NSX, but what do you guys think we can expect out of the one in the RDX?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Question for you car audio enthusiasts. How does the ELS sound system stack up against other sound systems in the industry (Burmeister in the GLC, harmon kardon, bose in the mazda, etc.)? Watched a few reviews of the one in other Acuras like the NSX, but what do you guys think we can expect out of the one in the RDX?
IMHO the ELS is outstanding. I like it better than the Bang & Olufsen in my Q5. The 2019 RDX should be even better with the new speaker locations and likely enhanced sound.
The following users liked this post:
SK1124 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Advanced

I agree with Romer that the ELS sound system is tremendous, with one caveat...it's always going to be best if you're playing either a CD or off the Hard Drive or a hard wire patch from your smart device. Meaning, even Sirius XM doesn't sound as good as a direct source of some kind. BTW, in the event that you don't know, ELS is owned by Elliot Scheiner, an extremely accomplished recording and mixing engineer. If you like the sound of, say, Steely Dan, well that's some of Elliot's work. So, this guy really does know sound...
SK1124 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
I should add I've tweaked the settings a bit to give me what I want from the system. Someone posted suggested settings a couple years ago and I went with them, mostly. Can't recall who posted it but I believe it was on this forum. And johnnyvn is absolutely correct about the best sounds come through your own music or sources other than Sirius or radio.
SK1124 (03-04-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Somewhere I read that the front of the chassis was sized to take a V6. That is part of what made it an 'exclusive' chassis. That and the rear was modified for the SH-AWD. Can't find the article, but it is out there somewhere.
The only place I have read that is here on the forum and nobody has been able to provide a link to support this claim. So I personally don’t buy it at this point (not calling you a liar or anything like that, just simply have seen zero evidence).

ELS is an alright system, it has very good highs and the instruments come through crisply. However the lows are lacking IMHO. The Germans do bass the best and that is where I feel the other systems have the edge (but bass is subjective, some people like none, some like breaking windows. I’m closer to the none side of the middle between those extremes). In terms of the sound system on the new RDX, as far as I know, it is the first Acura to have the new system. It has 14 speakers and the current MDX tops put at 12, it also has the roof top speakers and no other Acura has that, lastly it is 756W vs the 546 in the current MDX (so the Bass may possibly be better as well). I always disliked bose personally, it always sounds muddy no matter what car it’s in. Definitely not my favourite.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by romer
I should add I've tweaked the settings a bit to give me what I want from the system. Someone posted suggested settings a couple years ago and I went with them, mostly. Can't recall who posted it but I believe it was on this forum. And johnnyvn is absolutely correct about the best sounds come through your own music or sources other than Sirius or radio.
X3, I also feel that sirius/Radio do not sound nearly as good as your own music via aux/usb.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

The only place I have read that is here on the forum and nobody has been able to provide a link to support this claim. So I personally don’t buy it at this point (not calling you a liar or anything like that, just simply have seen zero evidence).
I read it on ToV from Jeff who runs the site and did the interviews with Acura reps at the roll out.

"I'm inclined to think this is the stem of the "Precision" platform. The Acura guys wanted the freedom to do some things and it sounds like they got what they wanted with the RDX development. Or at least that's the way they've told the story. I was told by more than a few people that the reason this platform is truly unique is because they can accommodate a V6 and the SH-AWD system, which apparently isn't possible on the Accord/CR-V/Civic configuration."
Old 03-09-2018, 09:00 PM
GTF
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone know if heated steering wheel will finally be included on the premium versions of the new RDX? That dealer-installed wheel Honda has offered (at $750!) is a joke.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:31 AM
Team Owner

I’m 100% positive that Acura never ever said the RDX would be getting a Type-S. version. They said that Type-S would be returning in a few years but made zero claims that the RDX would be receiving that powertrain. That’s not to say down the line it can’t happen, but I guarantee that a MDX-S would be launched before an RDX-S because Acura..
Still 100% positive on that?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTF
Anyone know if heated steering wheel will finally be included on the premium versions of the new RDX? That dealer-installed wheel Honda has offered (at $750!) is a joke.
According to the Edmunds' first look review it will:

"Outfitted with perforated leather, a panoramic sunroof, heated and cooled front seats, and heated back seats, a head-up display, a heated steering wheel and ELS Studio premium audio, the RDX Prototype is stuffed to the gills with luxury features. Whether the production RDX will boast all of these goodies isn't yet known, but it's a pretty safe bet that it will."
GTF (03-10-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Instructor

So i popped into my local acura dealership in Mississauga (ontario, canada) to see if I can squeeze any further details out of a rep. He said they are very excited for the vehicle since the RDX is their best seller and thinks this new gen one will sell like hotcakes. He believes the price point will be relatively the same for reasons which we have discussed endlessly in this thread. The best thing I got out of him was that he said the sales reps are doing training on the new vehicle in April (less than a month) and they will learn all about the interior and exterior as well as get to test drive it. He obviously expects sales to begin immediately thereafter.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Still 100% positive on that?
Yes. Just because it can hold a V6 doesn’t mean it is getting a Type-S version. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it offer the J35 alongside the 2.0T. This RDX is also going to be sold in China where it’s probably going to be sold with the 3.0 V6 like it is right now. Do you not think that when Ikeda spoke about the return of Type-S DURING THE UNVEILING OF THE NEW RDX that he would have said the RDX will see a Type-S trim too? So I still 100% firmly stand by my prior post. Also, the current RDX sits on the CRV platform and was modified to a hold a V6, show me the Type-S model.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X3, I also feel that sirius/Radio do not sound nearly as good as your own music via aux/usb.
I am looking forward to listening to the new ELS system. I agree that Sirius/Radio is no equivalent to your digital music. Having a large collection of CDs, is there a way of installing a portable CD player to these new audio receivers? Do I have to transfer my collection to a USB stick, which to me sounds exhausting.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BrooklynJG
I am looking forward to listening to the new ELS system. I agree that Sirius/Radio is no equivalent to your digital music. Having a large collection of CDs, is there a way of installing a portable CD player to these new audio receivers? Do I have to transfer my collection to a USB stick, which to me sounds exhausting.
The current gen works best with an iPod, much better than USB stick. I don't know what the 3rd gen will offer but any form of memory card is much better than handling physical CDs. Just make sure you rip to a lossless format, not MP3. You can later convert to anything the car requires without loss of quality. And make a backup so you never have to rip the same CD again.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Do you not think that when Ikeda spoke about the return of Type-S DURING THE UNVEILING OF THE NEW RDX that he would have said the RDX will see a Type-S trim too?
Viewed from the flip side, it's hard for me to imagine that he would make those comments AT THE UNVEILING OF A REBUILD OF A FLAGSHIP MODEL which will NOT see an S-Type. I viewed his comments as a confirmation that as many models as possible would see the designation. I mean, from your viewpoint, he should have said, "We are today, here on this stage, re-introducing the return of the Type-S which points the way forward for Acura - oh, by the way, this car we are hailing today as our first major rebuild under this new initiative will NOT see this designation - and Acura feels the Type-S signifies our new direction...." Maybe you are correct, but if the RDX will never see a Type-S, I see its unveiling as an extremely INOPPORTUNE time to discuss the Type-S. Why not wait for the introduction of a car which WILL see a Type-S?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by johnnyvn
Viewed from the flip side, it's hard for me to imagine that he would make those comments AT THE UNVEILING OF A REBUILD OF A FLAGSHIP MODEL which will NOT see an S-Type. I viewed his comments as a confirmation that as many models as possible would see the designation. I mean, from your viewpoint, he should have said, "We are today, here on this stage, re-introducing the return of the Type-S which points the way forward for Acura - oh, by the way, this car we are hailing today as our first major rebuild under this new initiative will NOT see this designation - and Acura feels the Type-S signifies our new direction...." Maybe you are correct, but if the RDX will never see a Type-S, I see its unveiling as an extremely INOPPORTUNE time to discuss the Type-S. Why not wait for the introduction of a car which WILL see a Type-S?
You have a fair point, but I still disagree and here is why. He started off by talking about the A-Spec trim and then said every single Acura would be sold with an A-Spec trim. He kind of took an aside and talked about the return of the Type-S to the Acura brand in a few years. If this platform was truly modified to hold a V6 for a Type-S model, do you not think he would have explicitly said it? I mean if they spent the money to modify the platform to handle a V6 presumably for a Type-S model that means they are definitely going to do it so why did he not say that then? You see what I am trying to say?

I hope I am wrong but I don’t think I am.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura to unveil 2019 RDX production version in New York

Noticed this announcement this morning: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...spec-new-york/ Also included an A-Spec variant teaser photo.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iclicked
Noticed this announcement this morning: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...spec-new-york/ Also included an A-Spec variant teaser photo.
Hoping we get some real numbers finally. I.e price, mpgs, power, speed...etc.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

Yes. Just because it can hold a V6 doesn’t mean it is getting a Type-S version. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it offer the J35 alongside the 2.0T. This RDX is also going to be sold in China where it’s probably going to be sold with the 3.0 V6 like it is right now. Do you not think that when Ikeda spoke about the return of Type-S DURING THE UNVEILING OF THE NEW RDX that he would have said the RDX will see a Type-S trim too? So I still 100% firmly stand by my prior post. Also, the current RDX sits on the CRV platform and was modified to a hold a V6, show me the Type-S model.
Why would they bother dumping the 3.5L in and have the 2.0T. Their output doesn't even differ. I've said it before, I'm 99.9% sure I came across literature it's coming. You can judge yourself at the MMC... which is more or less when the TLX-S is coming out... which is when it was suggested to be coming. I too wouldn't expect it. Maybe things are changing. I dunno. It's their best selling vehicle. Why not issue a sport edition, largely using already existing parts from other cars?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM
Instructor

I know the saying "take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt" is true. But, noticed the comment section on https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/12/...spec-new-york/ contained the following post:

"Expect a Type-S variant to come a year or two later with the arrival of Honda’s new V6. This motor will be around 3.0L with an a new patented electric turbo that’s capable of regenerating power to it’s own battery, enabling it to spin in an optimized rev range all the time. Turbo lag will be eliminated completely because the turbo’s motor will spin the turbo immediately rather than waiting for boost to build. When there is over-boost situations the turbo recharges the battery with it’s excess rpm’s. Yes, I have read the patent."

Figured i'd share since its on topic to the current debate in here!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
^ Potentially good news. Of course, patents get filed all the time and never used.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Why would they bother dumping the 3.5L in and have the 2.0T. Their output doesn't even differ. I've said it before, I'm 99.9% sure I came across literature it's coming. You can judge yourself at the MMC... which is more or less when the TLX-S is coming out... which is when it was suggested to be coming. I too wouldn't expect it. Maybe things are changing. I dunno. It's their best selling vehicle. Why not issue a sport edition, largely using already existing parts from other cars?
When the RDX moved from the 1G to the 2G model it not only lost the turbo engine and SH-AWD but it also fully lost any sporty handling. But sales still went up tremendously because suddenly the RDX was open to a whole new market. Now moving back to being sporty may alienate those customers that have helped Acura rake in 50k+ sales consecutively. Reading it here on the forum, a large portion of people are strictly against the 3G because it is dropping the V6. So the best option would be to offer both the 2.0T and the V6. The sport edition is probably going to be the A-Spec and nothing more. Despite how wildly popular the RX has been, lexus has stopped at the F-Sport model and I don’t EVER see an RX-F. So for that reason I do not expect an RDX Type-S.

I just thought of something else though, what if they modified this platform to handle the hybrid system from the MDX with the 3.0 V6? Regardless I really hope I am wrong because I would be all over an RDX Type-S with SH-AWD and twin turbo V6. Like ALL OVER THAT!

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12