2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
you guys will love what will be above your head.
A convertible RDX? Now that would be thinking outside the box
Old 12-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Press Release

All-new Acura RDX Prototype Teased Ahead of Detroit World Debut - Acura News

All-new Acura RDX Prototype Teased Ahead of Detroit World Debut

Dec 20, 2017 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • Teaser video highlights sleeker, more evocative exterior styling and a completely new interior design of perennial top-seller
  • Most extensive Acura redesign in more than a decade
  • Best performing, most premium RDX ever to debut January 15 at 11:05 a.m. EST at North American International Auto Show
  • Reveal to be Live Streamed through Acura social media channels Facebook.com/Acura, YouTube.com/Acura and Twitter.com/Acura
The 3rd-generation Acura RDX Prototype will make its world debut at the 2018 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) on January 15 at 11:05 a.m. EST. Representing the most extensive Acura redesign in more than a decade, the new RDX is the 1st in a new generation of Acura products inspired by "Precision Crafted Performance" and signals the beginning of a new era for the luxury automaker.

Designed and developed for the first time in America, the new RDX will be built on a new, Acura-exclusive platform and incorporates key design elements of 2 recent concepts – the Acura Precision Concept and Acura Precision Cockpit. The exterior styling adapts the low, wide and sleek presence of the Precision Concept to an SUV, and features strong character lines that run along the entire profile of the vehicle. From the Precision Cockpit, the 3rd-generation RDX features an all-new interior design, user interface and operating system designed from a clean sheet.

The Acura RDX is a perennial best-seller in the premium-entry SUV segment, which is on pace to unseat entry-premium sedans as the highest volume segment of the luxury market. The RDX has recorded 5 consecutive years of record sales and 7 straight years of year-over-year sales growth1.

For More Information
Consumer information is available at
http://www.acura.com. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit http://www.facebook.com/acura. Additional media information including high-resolution photography is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance, representing the original values of the Acura brand – a commitment to evocative styling, high performance and innovative engineering, all built on a foundation of quality and reliability.

The Acura lineup features 6 distinctive models – the RLX premium, luxury sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, the 7-passenger Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling 3-row luxury SUV and the next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
HotRodW (12-21-2017), superblast (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
A convertible RDX? Now that would be thinking outside the box
not quite a convertible but think ZDX.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chickdr
Panoramic S/R?
bingo, and it comes standard.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
superblast (12-22-2017), TSX69 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Nexx what is the deal with the “Acura exclusive” new platform? Is this gonna be a letdown or are we talking about an engine orientation switch here.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:54 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I hear the terminology "exclusive new platform" I worry that this could substantially drive up the cost of the new model. Currently the RDX shares platforms and components with the CRV. I do have a question pertaining to the prototype coming on in a few weeks. Are the prototypes pretty much what we will see when the production model comes out? I'm hoping that we would see the production model at the NY Auto Show
Old 12-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
After reading that press release, sort of what I expected and was afraid of. So glad I snapped up a 2nd gen RDX last spring.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
bingo, and it comes standard.
Personally I don't understand the fascination with a Pano roof. Adds costs, adds weight, and here in Houston will make the interior unbearable in the summer. I never use the sun roof in the TLX. It stays closed with the sun shade pulled. It is worthless. We ordered my wife's Mini without a sun roof. It added almost 2 inches of headroom and we don't miss it a bit. This feature is kind of like the fireplace in my house. Here is it on 23 Dec and I have the A/C on! A fireplace is worthless, but it is an expected feature in the house. Everyone thinks they want one, but when the get it, it is worthless. Just decoration.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
KeithL (12-25-2017), romer (12-25-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Personally I don't understand the fascination with a Pano roof. Adds costs, adds weight, and here in Houston will make the interior unbearable in the summer. I never use the sun roof in the TLX. It stays closed with the sun shade pulled. It is worthless. We ordered my wife's Mini without a sun roof. It added almost 2 inches of headroom and we don't miss it a bit. This feature is kind of like the fireplace in my house. Here is it on 23 Dec and I have the A/C on! A fireplace is worthless, but it is an expected feature in the house. Everyone thinks they want one, but when the get it, it is worthless. Just decoration.
To each his own. I wouldn't own a car without it. Feels claustrophobic without the glass up top to me and nice to open up every now and then. I guess Acura can't win. There will always be something people complain about.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Agree....I think that I have pulled back the inside cover maybe a dozen times total and maybe opened the sun roof twice in 11 years. Every time I pull back the cover I get sun blasting my eyes....not exactly a feature I enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
romer (12-25-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
It makes it feel like you're in a pseudo convertible!
I love the top open!
Old 12-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Talking

you guys are bunch of whiners
Old 12-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Agree....I think that I have pulled back the inside cover maybe a dozen times total and maybe opened the sun roof twice in 11 years. Every time I pull back the cover I get sun blasting my eyes....not exactly a feature I enjoy.
I completely agree. And exploding moon roofs seem to be happening more frequently too.

I enjoy my moon roof overall I suppose but it is one of those things I could easily live without. I have been in a few vehicles with pano roofs and I didn't really care for them.
romer (12-25-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BrooklynJG
When I hear the terminology "exclusive new platform" I worry that this could substantially drive up the cost of the new model. Currently the RDX shares platforms and components with the CRV. I do have a question pertaining to the prototype coming on in a few weeks. Are the prototypes pretty much what we will see when the production model comes out? I'm hoping that we would see the production model at the NY Auto Show
The 2013 “Prototype” shown at Detroit in 2012 was almost identical to the production model. So I expect the same here. They may tart it up with bigger wheels and some sexy color you won’t be able to buy but basically what you see is what you’ll get.
TacoBello (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
you guys are bunch of whiners
Yes! I'm looking forward to the 2019, and have no turbo fear either. The current model is so outdated. Used they are a great deal, but I wouldn't touch one new.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree 100%. I want to say pretentious luxury owners want to be able to say they have a pano roof?
Old 12-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Pro

I agree 100%. I want to say pretentious luxury owners want to be able to say they have a pano roof?
I think the panos are pretty cool. But then I got to thinking about it, and realized I have never once opened my sunroof on a drive. I just forget about the thing.
pilozm (12-26-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 01:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
And exploding moon roofs seem to be happening more frequently too.
Don't laugh. An exploding rear window of a passing vehicle just paint chipped my friend's MKX, and having seen it, I mean almost every body panel. A complete paint job on a car that is just over a year old.

I prefer having the increased body integrity of a non-sunroof vehicle. For some lame reason, sunroofs equate to luxury. I would have paid not to have one in my Porsche.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:46 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The teaser image reminds of a Mazda CX9.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Turbo will be just fine. My 2008 RDX turbo is 160K miles, engine been running great. I am looking forward to upgrading it with more refined turbo and improved transmission.
I dont know why turbo has such a bad rep here, there is really nothing wrong with it. I am sure it will be much more refined than 1st generation turbo.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech
Don't laugh. An exploding rear window of a passing vehicle just paint chipped my friend's MKX, and having seen it, I mean almost every body panel. A complete paint job on a car that is just over a year old.

I prefer having the increased body integrity of a non-sunroof vehicle. For some lame reason, sunroofs equate to luxury. I would have paid not to have one in my Porsche.
No laughter here and my comment was not sarcastic, I read a horrible story recently about an exploding moon roof and luckily the woman driving was able to maintain control and she and her kids got to the side of the road safely.

Sorry to hear about your friend's car, that really sucks.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BrooklynJG
Acura prototypes are typically damn close to final version, usually the final car is a little tamer in styling such as the TLX was. One could hope seeing the styling improvement coming in Honda's line up lately.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I’m guessing, of course, but by “exclusive”, I have a feeling we’re looking at a unique (for now) version of the modular platform with a longer wheelbase and wider track. Rather than share a dimensions with the CR-V, we could be looking at Acura’s version of the rumored Passport. Which could potentially mean a transverse V6 after all, although I still think it’s highly unlikely. Regardless of engine, I’m suddenly far more interested than I had been.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:59 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I’m guessing, of course, but by “exclusive”, I have a feeling we’re looking at a unique (for now) version of the modular platform with a longer wheelbase and wider track. Rather than share a dimensions with the CR-V, we could be looking at Acura’s version of the rumored Passport. Which could potentially mean a transverse V6 after all, although I still think it’s highly unlikely. Regardless of engine, I’m suddenly far more interested than I had been.
From what I've read at ToV, it's still going to be a transverse platform.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
From what I've read at ToV, it's still going to be a transverse platform.
I have no doubt it will be transverse. (Acura is not switching to RWD anytime soon, and if they ever do it won’t be with the RDX.) But if the new RDX is a bit larger than the current gen and sharing components with the future Passport, if such a model comes to fruition, there’s a bit greater chance of seeing a V6. Very unlikely, as I stated previously, but one can hope.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will have slightly more power but gobbs and gobbs more torque throughout the power band.
Do you know if premium fuel is required or recommended? The Accord 2.0T engine uses regular gas.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
Turbo will be just fine. My 2008 RDX turbo is 160K miles, engine been running great.

I dont know why turbo has such a bad rep here.
Have you owned it since new?

Nothing wrong with a turbo or anything, till it needs replacing and its one part not needed on my V6. Its a daily driver and I hate spending unnecessary $ on it. Given the choice, I would have bought a FWD RDX just to avoid the extra complexity. I would know having to replace the expensive driveshaft in my AWD CR-V.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Les1
Do you know if premium fuel is required or recommended? The Accord 2.0T engine uses regular gas.
great question. i am not 100% sure on that one.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Pro

Nothing wrong with a turbo or anything, till it needs replacing and its one part not needed on my V6. Its a daily driver and I hate spending unnecessary $ on it. Given the choice, I would have bought a FWD RDX just to avoid the extra complexity. I would know having to replace the expensive driveshaft in my AWD CR-V.
From what I've seen being on these forums the last 4+ years, complaints related to shaking VCM issues / drive shafts, noisy suspensions and vibrating transmissions in the 2013+ models far outweigh reports of turbo failures in the old RDX. These seem to be very rare. There are members passing 200k miles in their old RDXs with just the typical number of things gone wrong, which speaks well of Acura in general. Until data supports that the turbo failure is some kind of issue in a Honda product, I don't buy it. The old model "feels" faster because of the turbo kick in the usable ranges and it's German-style handling. I'm excited that a turbo could offer a more fun to drive package in 2019. The current gen is one nice SUV with great value, but offers comfort and utility over a fun driving experience. We are a Honda family and I like to stay that way.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 12-26-2017 at 09:52 PM.
TacoBello (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I'm at +145,000 miles on my 08 RDX with Hondata+ETS intercooler+Hondata heatshield gasket+K/N drop-in filter (also Progress RSB+Eibach springs). The only two issues I've had was i-Vtec solenoid (powertrain warranty) and coil packs (2 mths ago). My RDX has been my weapon of choice when I want to have fun driving with 280hp/300tq+sh-awd. REALLY looking forward to the 3rd Gen RDX with 2.0L Turbo+10AT+sh-awd. No sh-awd for the 3rd Gen RDX will move me to a sh-awd or sh-sh-awd MDX.

I'm sure the 3rd Gen RDX will be the Accord 2.0L turbo numbers for hp/tq. Here is detail link on the differences between the two engines: https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-w...ivi-1820164645

No way the RDX is getting the Type-R version; but, adding the MDX sh-sh-awd tech for a RDX Sport version should be a no-brainer. Acura should at least add the Type-R 2.0L turbo with sh-sh-awd to make a Type R ILX or TLX when they do those refresh.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I would trust Honda 100% with a VTEC Turbo in the RDX. All the other manufacturers are doing great things with turbos and Honda can, too.
TacoBello (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Les1
It will likely have almost the same power as the Accord and still recommend premium gas while the Accord is fine with regular.....

Nobody knows any details about the RDX yet. Still speculation until it is released in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdr
It will likely have almost the same power as the Accord and still recommend premium gas while the Accord is fine with regular.....

Nobody knows any details about the RDX yet. Still speculation until it is released in a couple of weeks.
Acura should man up, increase the hp and torque and go premium fuel.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Acura should man up, increase the hp and torque and go premium fuel.
We already are premium fuel (at least recommended) so yeh, may as well add a turbo. Ford is pulling 325 hp out of a 2.7 liter 6 cylinder with a turbo in a Fusion. Surely Acura could better that? If not in the RDX then in the TLX. Come on Acura, give the faithful here a little hint!

Cheers
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
There seems to still be so much fear regarding turbos. In an oem setting, they can be extremely reliable. Yeah there are cars like the BMWs of years gone past that had turbo issues, but, those were related to specific manufacturers/models, and likely was a result of someone cheapening out on something along the way. And that was like a decade ago, now. It's extremely rare to hear of turbos shitting the bed early.

What's more- people are so concerned about reliability at the 150k, 200k, 250k+ marks, saying an NA engine would last longer. Maybe. Probably. but you know what, it is fairly rare for people to keep their cars that long, unless they need to drive for a living. Who gives a shit if the turbos fail at 160k... by that point, you likely will be well on to another car by then anyway. At 20k (high by most people's driving habits) miles per year, shit, that would be 8 years of daily driving before shit hit the fan. That's pretty good by my count most people would take 10 years to hit that mileage.

Plus, that's 8-10 years of hitting boost and having a shit eating grin stretched across your face, every time you mash the throttle. Seriously, once you try it, you're like "oh yeah. I can worry about those turbos shitting the bed in a decade. Totally worth it"

Last edited by TacoBello; 12-27-2017 at 01:02 PM.
mrgold35 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
The old model "feels" faster because of the turbo kick in the usable ranges and it's German-style handling. fun driving experience.
To me its just a daily driver and on top of it, a SUV which I bought because I missed the practicality of my CR-V which after 14 years went to a friend.
When I want faster or fun, I'll hop in my 911 or get on one of my motorcycles. The RDX serves me well as a grocery getter.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7
The teaser image reminds of a Mazda CX9.

Personally, I think the RDX looks sleeker by far. I'm digging it.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Who gives a shit if the turbos fail at 160k... by that point, you likely will be well on to another car by then anyway. At 20k (high by most people's driving habits) miles per year, shit, that would be 8 years of daily driving before shit hit the fan.

My 2008 RDX has 160k miles, and power train including turbo has been very reliable and works the same way when it was new. In 1st gen forum, there are plenty of cars with over 200K miles that dont have any turbo/engine issues. Turbo problem is very uncommon in 1st gen RDX high milage. I am hopeful that Honda's prior experience in building reliable turbos will make its way into 2019 RDX, which I expect will be more refined than 1st gen. I'd be more concerned about that 10sp transmission. Honda seems to mess up transmissions on regular basis every time they have so called "new design".

Last edited by russianDude; 12-27-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 6, no buy. Kudos to Acura for finally bringing San Marino Red back...I want it badly...but not enough to justify a 4. I'll be looking elsewhere without a 6 in a couple of years.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, I am original owner. All you have to do is search 1st gen RDX forum or internet, and you will find very limited (if any) number of turbo issues in 1st gen RDX. The early RDXs are now 10yr+ with a lot of miles, any turbo reliability issues would be all over internet by now.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12