2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
With the 1G RDX they also called it an “exclusive platform” compared to the CRV because it had extra bracing so I agree it is misleading.....
It was stated in another forum that the front of the RDX platform is designed to handle a V6 and the rear of the platform is designed to handle the SH-AWD. The 'middle' seems to be common with another platform, I assume a Honda platform.

I think what we are seeing today is the Prototype of the A-Spec RDX, at least from the outside. They said in the video it would launch as an A-Spec. This excitement reminds me of the TLX prototype, lots of positive impressions, then when the car came out for production it was all gone. Never underestimate Acura's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh and never buy a 1st year Acura. This model does have a lot of potential, we'll have to wait to see how much of that potential makes it into production.

And I don't see a parking brake in this car. Maybe it is all automatic now?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
It was stated in another forum that the front of the RDX platform is designed to handle a V6 and the rear of the platform is designed to handle the SH-AWD. The 'middle' seems to be common with another platform, I assume a Honda platform.

I think what we are seeing today is the Prototype of the A-Spec RDX, at least from the outside. They said in the video it would launch as an A-Spec. This excitement reminds me of the TLX prototype, lots of positive impressions, then when the car came out for production it was all gone. Never underestimate Acura's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Oh and never buy a 1st year Acura. This model does have a lot of potential, we'll have to wait to see how much of that potential makes it into production.

And I don't see a parking brake in this car. Maybe it is all automatic now?

Unless they make some trims with a V6 I don’t understand why they would change the front to accommodate a V6. Regardless of that though, I really don’t care about the platform because the 1G was very similar to the CRV of that time and yet it handled AMAZINGLY well so the platform is not everything.

I hear you on Acura taming down the TLX concept and I wanted to keep calm and not get overly excited. I genuinely hope they don’t do that again because people have been going crazy over this prototype so let’s really hope they won’t be stupid and do that again. Even people who don’t like/want a crossover are considering it right now. The more I see it the more I love it. Even the button shifter has grown on me and the way they have the dash coming down with the space underneath is insane! I agree that I would avoid the first year as well because there are numerous new things and I don’t want to be the guinea pig either.

As for the parking brake, it is on the left near those buttons near the drivers left knee. It’s funny you mention it. A lot of cars are putting the EMERGENCY brake button in places that are awkward to reach, I’d rather they put it up near the shitter buttons or make it a manual foot operated one because I personally would like my emergency brakes to be easily accessible in an emergency.

Last edited by RDX10; 01-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
That torque limit was in FWD guise. One of the articles I read today indicated that the new SH-AWD rear differential can handle 40% more torque. Why would they beef up the diff if the gearbox can't handle it?
In any event I don't see them getting 352ft/lbs out of the 2.0T motor. AMG did it with the CLA's 2.0T(375hp & 350ft/lbs), but that is an entirely different beast. If Acura comes out with a TT V6 that is another story.

Last edited by chickdr; 01-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Did anyone get more idea about new version of SHAWD which can transfer 50% more torque to rear? Current version can transfer upto 70% in some situations, so adding 50% to that is not what they talked about. Does it mean they will transfer more power to rear on exisitng logic or change logic to send more power to situations like mild turn and accelerations? Vehicle will have peak power around 1800-2000 rpm so more can be transferred to rear at relatively low rpm.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Actually we're in agreement here - I think a price increase would be merited - that's what I mean by not getting a value vibe. That said - as was noted elsewhere they need to be careful to slot it below the MDX so they can't increase the pricing too much. I think an Advanced SH-AWD in the 47K range wouldn't be egregious.
I’m thinking that the starting price will be right around where the AcuraWatch Base Trim is now. Which makes $47,500 or so about right for an Advance Trim probably. I can see the Base SHaWD being just under $40k.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it looks like a squished CX-5

Last edited by srpuywa; 01-15-2018 at 08:59 PM.
lindros2 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alpha0
Did anyone get more idea about new version of SHAWD which can transfer 50% more torque to rear? Current version can transfer upto 70% in some situations, so adding 50% to that is not what they talked about. Does it mean they will transfer more power to rear on exisitng logic or change logic to send more power to situations like mild turn and accelerations? Vehicle will have peak power around 1800-2000 rpm so more can be transferred to rear at relatively low rpm.
No you’re misunderstanding what is being said. The rear differential can now handle 150% more torque than prior versions of SH-AWD. This has nothing to do with the total amount of power being sent to the rear. Now in terms of power transfer, the MDX (and possibly RL) has always been the only SH-AWD equipped car to send a ton of power side to side even on mild curves so I’m not sure if the RDX will adopt this logic. Now in terms of the SH-AWD 2.0, they already have that system on the 2016+ MDX and it is nothing new. Still works like older SH-AWD systems do. I.e maximum of 70% rear torque and 100% of that 70% goes either right or left.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I get the feeling the real metal and real wood trim are not making it into production. Let's be honest here.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

I'm not even convinced the adaptive suspension will make it, except for the top trim cars. And the HUD. That too I bet will be reserved for the the most expensive package.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm not even convinced the adaptive suspension will make it, except for the top trim cars. And the HUD. That too I bet will be reserved for the the most expensive package.
I'm worried the exterior will be neutered, honestly.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
WOW! This is going to be my next vehicle :-)

It's funny that Consumer Reports had to bring up that shifter (non)issue again. To the Consumer Reports reviewers - that Acura shifter is easy to use. I never had a problem with it from day 1. You want to move the forward, so you push D. You want it to reverse/back up? So you push the button back. How is that non-intuitive???

Anyway, I love this overall package so far. Really happy that Acura is back on track :-)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by FreddyBeach
Come on oblio98 - loosen the purse strings! There would be only one thing worse than dying and that is dying with money in the bank! :-)
Oh I will spend the bucks for an A-Spec/Advance version of this bugger if, and that's a big IF, if the new ELS surround system actually plays surround audio via USB 5.1 .flac or some other format. Since there is no longer a disc player, that seems to be the remaining source. It would be quite stupid, IMHO, to have a high tech surround audio system in the car that only played stereo material through some sort of synthesizer when the ELS system has been the leader in surround audio in the car since 2004.
neuronbob (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Recently Acura worked a lot to improve driving and handling of their vehicles. I doubt if this will be a BMW but I am sure better than Nx. SH-AWD Will help to some extent. Let’s wakt and see. It will be out by spring, right? Or summer?
When was the last time you drove a BMW? I hope it will not be a BMW, because let me tell you... by my standards, they are not what they used to be. I was set on getting a 2017 M3 in 6-speed manual and after the test drive I almost cried. It was not the BMW I expected.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Even the button shifter has grown on me and the way they have the dash coming down with the space underneath is insane!
I was wondering about that space underneath, what would you use it for? At first glance it seems like kind of a wasted space to me.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 PM
Team Owner

The new Accord has it too. It's a storage compartment. It keeps shit out of plain site.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

I get the feeling the real metal and real wood trim are not making it into production. Let's be honest here.
I disagree with you on this one. The current MDX and RLX already use real wood trim, so why not the RDX?. More than that, they made a point to state “if it looks like wood it is wood and if it looks like metal it is metal”. Why make a statement like that and then not follow through? I think if anything makes it through it will be the wood and metal.

Originally Posted by GW208
I was wondering about that space underneath, what would you use it for? At first glance it seems like kind of a wasted space to me.
I hate to say it, but that space is a GREAT place for a purse (see main buyer of crossovers). I obviously don’t carry a purse so for me I would probably put a kleenex box there if the center console is not large enough to fit a box inside it. I can’t imagine putting anything else there since I never ever leave loose things around my car. So in that respect, I probably would have preferred the dash to be more vertical and have a storage bin there instead. Not really sure to be honest. But you have to admit it does make for a very cool and somewhat unique dash layout.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:39 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
I disagree with you on this one. The current MDX and RLX already use real wood trim, so why not the RDX?. More than that, they made a point to state “if it looks like wood it is wood and if it looks like metal it is metal”. Why make a statement like that and then not follow through? I think if anything makes it through it will be the wood and metal.

I hate to say it, but that space is a GREAT place for a purse (see main buyer of crossovers). I obviously don’t carry a purse so for me I would probably put a kleenex box there if the center console is not large enough to fit a box inside it. I can’t imagine putting anything else there since I never ever leave loose things around my car. So in that respect, I probably would have preferred the dash to be more vertical and have a storage bin there instead. Not really sure to be honest. But you have to admit it does make for a very cool and somewhat unique dash layout.
Thanks RDX10, a purse makes perfect sense now that you mention it, I probably should have asked my wife first.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Team Owner

Honestly- I hope I'm wrong, but, it comes down to dollars and cents. That RDX- the way it was presented today- seems like it will be expensive as fuck. Something has to give.

And as for the materials... well.. they were talking about the prototype, not the actual production model. All of that might be true about the prototype... but will it trickle down to the RDX? Both the MDX and RLX are their flagship models. The RDX is middle tier. Does it get the same treatment?

I'll be honest- I'm trying to stifle my expectations a bit. I don't want to be disappointed when the real thing comes out in a few months. If it turns out that I'm wrong- perfect. If it turns out that I'm right- no harm, no foul.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Honestly- I hope I'm wrong, but, it comes down to dollars and cents. That RDX- the way it was presented today- seems like it will be expensive as fuck. Something has to give.

And as for the materials... well.. they were talking about the prototype, not the actual production model. All of that might be true about the prototype... but will it trickle down to the RDX? Both the MDX and RLX are their flagship models. The RDX is middle tier. Does it get the same treatment?

I'll be honest- I'm trying to stifle my expectations a bit. I don't want to be disappointed when the real thing comes out in a few months. If it turns out that I'm wrong- perfect. If it turns out that I'm right- no harm, no foul.
No I know exactly what you’re trying to say and why you are saying it. Let’s be honest here, Acura has a history of making large promises and showcasing very nice cars only to completely shoot themseleves in the foot (see TLX prototype) come production time. But I am optomistic because of ikeda taking over, they brought back SH-AWD too. Everything points in the direction of a large majority of this prototype coming through to production so I am going to be cautiously optimistic for now.
neuronbob (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
As much as I would like to upgrade from my wife’s 2016 Advance. I’ll wait for the V6 turbo.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
As much as I would like to upgrade from my wife’s 2016 Advance. I’ll wait for the V6 turbo.
V6 turbo in the RDX?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:37 AM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More 2019 RDX reading from Acura Canada.

https://www.acura.ca/newsdetails/nca...e-Model-Lineup

https://www.acura.ca/newsdetails/nca...-Appointments-

Let's hope with the return of the Type S moniker that clean vehicle designs follow along with it.
TSX69 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:37 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

Unless they make some trims with a V6 I don’t understand why they would change the front to accommodate a V6. Regardless of that though, I really don’t care about the platform because the 1G was very similar to the CRV of that time and yet it handled AMAZINGLY well so the platform is not everything.

I hear you on Acura taming down the TLX concept and I wanted to keep calm and not get overly excited. I genuinely hope they don’t do that again because people have been going crazy over this prototype so let’s really hope they won’t be stupid and do that again. Even people who don’t like/want a crossover are considering it right now. The more I see it the more I love it. Even the button shifter has grown on me and the way they have the dash coming down with the space underneath is insane! I agree that I would avoid the first year as well because there are numerous new things and I don’t want to be the guinea pig either.

As for the parking brake, it is on the left near those buttons near the drivers left knee. It’s funny you mention it. A lot of cars are putting the EMERGENCY brake button in places that are awkward to reach, I’d rather they put it up near the shitter buttons or make it a manual foot operated one because I personally would like my emergency brakes to be easily accessible in an emergency.
I assume the 'Type S' would have the new V6 turbo they spoke about. But not for a few years.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Below is a link to an article re: Honda's 1- Speed Transmission

Honda?s new 10-speed is a slick shifter - SAE International
http://articles.sae.org/15215/
Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GW208
Thanks RDX10, a purse makes perfect sense now that you mention it, I probably should have asked my wife first.
The 2019 console styling is indeed a great styling feature. I noticed that there are a couple of perhaps USB ports under there also. My 2016 RDX-Tech has a neat storage compartment with a sliding cover at the front of the console which I really do like. A great place to store/ charge my iPhone, plug in my iPod, use a memory stick etc. Close the cover and everything including all the wires are out of sight which is also a great security feature to keep prying eyes from observing any of your electronics. I don't see such a storage area in the 2019, except for the console storage bin under the right arm-rest (and it appears that we will have no need to store CDs in that!)
Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Could the space under the console have induction charging for the newer smartphones? I have an older iPhone (6S Plus); but, I have a Mophie case/battery pack with induction charging capabilities. It would be nice to just toss my phone there and recharge it as I bluetooth audio stream with Apple Carplay .
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I suspect the released RDX will be identical inside and tamed down front and possible rear bumpers and different side mirrors. I do easily see a loaded RDX AWD easily touches $50K and maybe goes above it, but look at a loaded Lexus RX and you get well into the $50s
I thought the RDX competes with the NX? I believe the MDX is the one that competes against the RX. Haven't spec'd out an NX so not sure what price it tops out at.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
​​​​​
Yep. Watch the reveal video at the Detroit Auto Show from yesterday at 11:05AM EST. The CEO of Honda North American actually said out loud "If you see something that looks like metal, it is metal. If you see something that looks like wood, it is wood". So expect the real deal in the final product of the new RDX. It's very unlikely they would reverse what the CEO said during the intro.

Last edited by reddogTL; 01-16-2018 at 08:26 AM.
a35tl (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
I thought the RDX competes with the NX? I believe the MDX is the one that competes against the RX. Haven't spec'd out an NX so not sure what price it tops out at.
I've been car shopping this year (need to pick something up by mid to late summer. A fully loaded Lexus NX F-Sport 3 (only NX model that comes with HUD i believe) will cost you about $70,000 Canadian. So thats about 56,500 USD.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Instructor

I noticed a few of you say you wouldn't buy one in the first year. How concerned are you guys about this? Does acura have a history of 1st year duds? Or is it more general common sense? Unfortunately I can't wait a year so if I want this vehicle (assuming the production model is the same as the prototype) I'm going to have to pick it up this year.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SK1124
I noticed a few of you say you wouldn't buy one in the first year. How concerned are you guys about this? Does acura have a history of 1st year duds? Or is it more general common sense? Unfortunately I can't wait a year so if I want this vehicle (assuming the production model is the same as the prototype) I'm going to have to pick it up this year.
Personally, I would not have any issues with buying a 2019 RDX. Acura has gone to great lengths to make this a better vehicle, therefore it cannot afford to put this vehicle on the market and it have issues. They have moved away from the "Premium" classification and have taken a step into the "Luxury" market with the likes of BMW, Lexus and Audi. I do believe that after the 2019 RDX is on the market we are going to see some very favorable comparisons to these vehicles. Up to now RDX has been considered these vehicle's poorer brother. If one is concerned about the 2.0L engine they have to realize that this is not Acura's first foray into the turbo engine business.
SK1124 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Instructor

I've been car shopping this year (need to pick something up by mid to late summer. A fully loaded Lexus NX F-Sport 3 (only NX model that comes with HUD i believe) will cost you about $70,000 Canadian. So thats about 56,500 USD.
Oops..was wrong. Mixed it up with something else I guess. It looks like with all taxes in its about $62,000 CDN so about $50,000 USD!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Oops..was wrong. Mixed it up with something else I guess. It looks like with all taxes in its about $62,000 CDN so about $50,000 USD!
$62,000 seems like an outrageous price for a RAV4. Apparently you can put lipstick on a pig!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
ANY car manufacturer who starts fresh with a new design and a new-ish powertrain is going to have bugs to work out. It was certainly that way with the TLX - moreso with the ZF transmission but to some extent the DCT has some minor issues to work out. With the RDX you're getting the barely tested 2.0 turbo with the barely tested 10 speed. I would anticipate some TSB's to be worked through for sure.

Frankly I would wait for the 2020 model year. I'll likely wait until the MMC as I'm happy with my (paid for) TLX at the moment. That said - if you're leasing then have at it!!
TacoBello (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The lease will be up on Halloween on my '16 AWD Advanced. I too am concerned about first year glitches and the reliability of the turbo. It doesn;'t look like the V6 Turbo will be available by then, right? I thought about moving up to an SH AWD Tech MDX, but the price point for me is a little steep (teacher salary and doctoral student here). Have looked a the Pilot and Highlander (which don't compare I know). I do like the new look of the RDX and very anxious to see it in person in black/black. Decisions, decisions....
Old 01-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Get the car when you want it. I wouldn't be that concerned
Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by srpuywa
I think it looks like a squished CX-5
100% agree. Even same color.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Speaking of buying first year models, I bought an MDX in December of 2000 and sold it in 2017 with no regrets. that was the first model year in the first Acura SUV ever built. So based on that, I'm not one to worry about these things.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Considering the number of bugs our 16 had I would be very concerned about buying a 19.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MHarnois
Speaking of buying first year models, I bought an MDX in December of 2000 and sold it in 2017 with no regrets. that was the first model year in the first Acura SUV ever built. So based on that, I'm not one to worry about these things.
The Acura of 2000 is not the Acura of 2018.

Your 2000 MDX likely has less content in it than a base model 2018 MDX. More stuff to design, research, test, implement, etc. means there is always more room for unforeseen issues.

I'm not saying don't buy the first year model. As issues won't be relegated to every single car out there. But it might be as much as, I dunno, 1 in 5. Where by the MMC it might be 1 in 15 or 20.

Even SK1123 is making some serious assumptions here. I get the feeling no company wants to put out a dud on the market. And yet it still happens.

Last edited by TacoBello; 01-16-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12