2019 Acura RDX vs Honda CR-V

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 Acura RDX vs Honda CR-V

some how get a feeling that 2019 Honda CRV is having better features than its luxury version Acura RDX . not that CRV is better car than RDX...but dont understand why acura cant keep the same features for their luxury edition when they can give them in Honda CRV itself
CRV has all LED's where as RDX has incandescent bulb for turn signal
CRV has blind spot on side mirrors and RDX has blindspot inside the car cabin
CRV has digital guage cluster and RDX still has analog guages in 2019

and also RDX does not have some basic luxury car features like power folding side mirrors, high resolution backup camera, Integrated 2nd-Row Sunshades. these are not very expensive features also to exclude them so that it can be priced less.
It would be great to see these features added to RDX.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratester
some how get a feeling that 2019 Honda CRV is having better features than its luxury version Acura RDX . not that CRV is better car than RDX...but dont understand why acura cant keep the same features for their luxury edition when they can give them in Honda CRV itself

and also RDX does not have some basic luxury car features like power folding side mirrors, high resolution backup camera, Integrated 2nd-Row Sunshades. these are not very expensive features also to exclude them so that it can be priced less.
Completely agree with what you said especially the turn signal on the RDX is not all LED. Digital gauge is much better. As for the blind spot not inside mirror I actually like this feature because it is closer to the driver. I don’t have to 👀 outside unless I have to signal a turn.

I think the RDX has better looking LED lights.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:25 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
The standard car lines are becoming so loaded with features and improved in styling and design, it's getting harder and harder for the luxury lines to distinguish themselves. The only way they can do it is with the most expensive mechanical features of the core platform. Engine, suspension, ride, handling, performance.

There will always be a few little things missing or things you'd like done differently in any car you buy, no matter how much you spend. You have to prioritize them and decide what's important. There are people on this forum who have all but eliminated the RDX from consideration because it doesn't play well with their Android phone. Okay. Terrific. Fine. Great. I understand some people's lives almost literally revolve around their phone. My life doesn't revolve around my phone.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
romer (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

I traded in an '18 CR-V Touring on my '19 RDX Advance so I am very qualified to comment here.

Yes, so? How does this impact anything about how the car drives? Others here have said this as well, I don't understand the concern.

Yes, again, so? I find it is easier to see on the inside. On the outside mirror, in many situations, the yellow light of the Blind spot light can be confused with an oncoming car's turn signal or other front mounted lights, especially at night or in the rain.

This is also true. While I really liked the CR-V, I was not a fan of the digital instrument panel. I prefer a nice set of analog gauges. The tach in the CR-V, a bar graph type, is virtually useless, and there is no analog speedometer at all, just a digital read out. The RDX in Advance trim has Heads up display which will display a digital speedometer for those who want it, along with many other items.

My intention is not to criticize you as a new member, just to shed some light on your comments.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
GW208 (02-14-2019), NooYawkuh (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I traded in an '18 CR-V Touring on my '19 RDX Advance so I am very qualified to comment here.

Yes, so? How does this impact anything about how the car drives? Others here have said this as well, I don't understand the concern.

Yes, again, so? I find it is easier to see on the inside. On the outside mirror, in many situations, the yellow light of the Blind spot light can be confused with an oncoming car's turn signal or other front mounted lights, especially at night or in the rain.

This is also true. While I really liked the CR-V, I was not a fan of the digital instrument panel. I prefer a nice set of analog gauges. The tach in the CR-V, a bar graph type, is virtually useless, and there is no analog speedometer at all, just a digital read out. The RDX in Advance trim has Heads up display which will display a digital speedometer for those who want it, along with many other items.

My intention is not to criticize you as a new member, just to shed some light on your comments.
I want analog gauges, makes it feel like a real car
Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I want analog gauges, makes it feel like a real car.
To be more specific, it helps make it feel like a sports car rather than a shrunken minivan.

CR-V is a very well designed, very practical car that is NOT a sports car. Which isn't to say it's a complete dog; it just has other priorities. If those priorities align with your own, buy one!

My daughter loves her 2018 CR-V Touring AWD. And she had better love it, cuz my wife and I bought it for her!

As for incandescent turn signals: REALLY? The car runs on 4 round things called wheels too, just like the Roman chariots. They kinda work.

In case it's unclear, the turn signals and the gauges of 2019 RDX are deliberate style choices.

Last edited by Wander; 02-14-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
While the CR-V is fairly well appointed, I still wouldn't choose it over an RDX despite the "deficiencies".

- RDX has a superior AWD system for both handling and inclement weather
- RDX has a much better drivetrain. CVT, barf.
- RDX has better NVH.
- RDX has an unmatched audio system
- RDX has an available HUD
- RDX has better seats

I think Acura has done a pretty good job elevating the difference between the RDX and CR-V. More so than the previous gens. Obviously we want everything but engineers run within the confines what the bean counters make available.
TroyusMaximus (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
RDX also has the cool NSX-inspired shifter. I looked at the CR-V and sat in one at the dealership and didn't even bother to test drive it because of the seat (dis)comfort.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Not for nuthin’ but Roman chariots had two wheels, as could be easily seen in the documentary ‘Ben Hur’.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
CR-V in the US does not have a pano roof. They also do not have front and rear parking sensors. I don't believe there's a 360 camera in it either. The biggest difference is the 2.0l turbo and available SH-AWD!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Skeptic

I've always preferred gauges over digital readouts, especially for the speedometer and tach. I hope they never go away. It might be a generational preference.

Younger generations are not learning how to read analog clocks, only digital. I'm a technical writer, by profession. I read in a trade publication a few years ago that that is becoming a problem: they don't know the meaning of the terms "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise". If I'm writing a procedure, how do I describe a direction of rotation if I can't use those (until recently) universal terms. The article had no solution, other than using illustrations.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I've always preferred gauges over digital readouts, especially for the speedometer and tach. I hope they never go away. It might be a generational preference.

Younger generations are not learning how to read analog clocks, only digital. I'm a technical writer, by profession. I read in a trade publication a few years ago that that is becoming a problem: they don't know the meaning of the terms "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise". If I'm writing a procedure, how do I describe a direction of rotation if I can't use those (until recently) universal terms. The article had no solution, other than using illustrations.
Since the young’uns are so smart, change ‘clockwise’ to the ‘spin direction of the coriolis effect in the Northern hemisphere’.
MI-RDX (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Not for nuthin’ but Roman chariots had two wheels, as could be easily seen in the documentary ‘Ben Hur’.
Fair enough. Then let's go with Cinderella's carriage.

Since the young’uns are so smart, change ‘clockwise’ to the ‘spin direction of the coriolis effect in the Northern hemisphere’.
Since this is nominally a car forum, how about "the way you buff a car with your right hand".

But as long as "Big Ben" is still moving, there is an internationally recognized standard. And it's not French.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Skeptic

Uh, that would be counter-clockwise.

Originally Posted by Wander
Fair enough. Then let's go with Cinderella's carriage.

Since this is nominally a car forum, how about "the way you buff a car with your right hand".
Well, that depends on if you're waxing on or waxing off. Huh, Mister Miyagi?

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-15-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Pano roof is expensive option on many cars, standard on RDX, I personally love it.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
We own a 2018 CRV (EX-L w/ leather) and a 2019 RDX (tech). I much prefer the RDX overall for it superior AWD system, handling, central console storage, luxury interior, sound system, non-touch screen, lower rear storage area and power. That being said the CRV does come with a key fob with auto start, and a screen cover for the rear storage area included. I do find it odd that the $10,000 more expensive RDX (from the same corporation) comes with neither of those two features. I really do not want to pay $100 each year to have auto start on my phone, and I do not want to pay $800 and rip my roof liner apart to install a key fob which does the same.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXguy
...the CRV does come with a key fob with auto start.... I do find it odd that the $10,000 more expensive RDX (from the same corporation) comes with neither of those two features. I really do not want to pay $100 each year to have auto start on my phone, and I do not want to pay $800 and rip my roof liner apart to install a key fob which does the same.
I totally agree with this.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDXguy
...the CRV does come with a key fob with auto start.... I do find it odd that the $10,000 more expensive RDX (from the same corporation) comes with neither of those two features. I really do not want to pay $100 each year to have auto start on my phone, and I do not want to pay $800 and rip my roof liner apart to install a key fob which does the same.
Originally Posted by Sounds
While I agree as well, I have had remote start from the FOB on every vehicle I have owned since 2014 (until the RDX), and only used it a few times, less than 10. It doesn't get cold enough here to have much need.

In the same vein, our (wife's) '15 Ford Escape Titanium has automatic parallel parking, and I only used it once, as a test and to show off the feature. Different features have different values to each owner.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 02-15-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
It doesn't get cold enough here to have much need.
The temperature of the inside of the average car here in S FL feels like 150° on most non-winter days. I would LOVE to be able to cool off the car before my wife gets in and yells at me.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
...before my wife gets in and yells at me.
What?!?! She expects you to control the weather?
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Drifting

The temperature of the inside of the average car here in S FL feels like 150° on most non-winter days. ..
Here also May-Oct....but it is a dry heat!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Drifting

The temperature of the inside of the average car here in S FL feels like 150° on most non-winter days. I would LOVE to be able to cool off the car before my wife gets in and yells at me.
Tell her to chill... and then run.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX is the winner!

I was trying to decide between a new CR-V Touring or the 2019 Base RDX. The RDX was only about $3000 more and in my opinion was a much better vehicle. Here are the main points that swayed me to purchase the RDX:
  • Drivetrain: RDX has 272 HP and a 10 speed vs. the 190 HP CVT in the CRV
  • Styling: the RDX is sexy. Especially in Performance Red. The CR-V, while much improved, still looks pretty boring and won’t turn any heads. Plus I pass 376 new CR-Vs everyday driving to work. My next door neighbor has one, and so does my sister.
  • Features: I have to give this one to the CR-V, but it’s closer than most folks are saying. The Base RDX doesn’t have navi, leather seats, blind spot or cross traffic like the Touring. But, it does have the pano sunroof and the cool 10 inch display. With Apple CarPlay I can use my Waze app for navigation. None of my passengers noticed that I have “leatherette” vs. leather seating.
  • Service/Warranty: You’ll never mistake an Acura Service center for Mercedes. That said mine is much nicer than any of the Honda dealerships I’ve been in over the years. Plus none of the local Honda dealers in San Antonio offer loaner cars or run out and greet you when you pull in the service bay. Also, Acura warranties are one year longer than Honda.
Yes, I was disappointed that there was no blindspot or cross traffic warning. I also was a little disappointed that I didn’t get the upgrade sound system like in the Touring CR-V and nicer RDX packages. My Acura dealer offers an accessory credit with purchase, so I got window tint, all weather mats and the cargo cover. Overall I am very happy and feel that I got a better value than the CR-V. Finally, the new RDX is totally redesigned, built on a different platform and not just an upgraded CR-V.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts

If you were saying this about the second generation RDX and the new CRV I would fully agree with you. But one simply needs to drive the new RDX and new CRV to immediately realize why the RDX costs more. This RDX at least has higher quality interior materials (by far) and things like NVH are far improved. Not to mention you're comparing a 1.5T and CVT to a 2.0T and 10 speed automatic.

I do concede that the RDX has some GLARING things missing such as the HD camera and wireless charging pad. But for the first time ever it is clearly built 2 levels higher than the CRV. A simple test drive would reveal this. As per the LED turn signals, while I do find them more attractive, I really don't buy cars based in my turn signals being LED and the placement of the blind spot detector is IMO superior. You don't have to look to the side as far and in bad weather it is more visible.

The LCD gauge is both a pro and a con. Being analog means it is far less likely to break down but it definitely doesn't look as cool. I think Acura figured the HUD would fill in where the LCD is absent. I do also think sunshades should be available for sure seeing as how the santa fe has had it since 2013 and other premium models since late 2000's.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:28 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I recently switched over the rear tail lights to LED bulbs... problem solved lol!
RDX10 (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I recently switched over the rear tail lights to LED bulbs... problem solved lol!
Q: Would you please share with us what LED bulbs fit in the taillights and where to buy them on the www.? Please advise. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Q: Would you please share with us what LED bulbs fit in the taillights and where to buy them on the www.? Please advise. Thank you.
Sure!

I bought these LED bulbs:
Amazon Amazon

Also some 50W 8 ohm bulb load resistors to prevent hyper flashing:
Amazon Amazon

If you go to the link of the LED bulbs, you will see that there are LEDs on the very end of the bulb, which I think might be too bright for people behind me. As a result, I covered that part of the bulb with some 3M Aluminum Foil tape like this:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241744&rt=rud

And here's a picture of what it looks like in my car:

It looks kinda ghetto up close but you really have to be focusing on it to see my poor taping skill haha. The RDX is mainly my wife's car and I tried following her from my car. It's a tad brighter than regular bulbs but definitely nowhere close to blindingly bright. I quite like how they look. No hyperflashing and quite OEM looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
Curious3GTL (02-19-2019), NooYawkuh (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Racer

Sure!

I bought these LED bulbs:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071FT8W6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1

Also some 50W 8 ohm bulb load resistors to prevent hyper flashing:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B4ZJPK3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1

If you go to the link of the LED bulbs, you will see that there are LEDs on the very end of the bulb, which I think might be too bright for people behind me. As a result, I covered that part of the bulb with some 3M Aluminum Foil tape like this:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-425/?N=5002385+3293241744&rt=rud

And here's a picture of what it looks like in my car:

It looks kinda ghetto up close but you really have to be focusing on it to see my poor taping skill haha. The RDX is mainly my wife's car and I tried following her from my car. It's a tad brighter than regular bulbs but definitely nowhere close to blindingly bright. I quite like how they look. No hyperflashing and quite OEM looking.
Thank you sir! BTW, where do you wire in the load resistors and are they necessary?

Last edited by EXCALIBUR1; 02-16-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Drifting

That gives the turn signals a nice high-tech NASA look. Like the 1960's moon lander.

Just so we're clear on this, there is a demonstrated functional benefit to LED BRAKE lights, because the rapid illumination helps following drivers respond in a timely manner. There is no functional benefit to LED turn signals. It's purely stylistic.

Back to more salient differences between CR-V and RDX, the interior materials are clearly superior in RDX. And don't let the "leatherette" of the base model fool you; most of the seat materials are synthetic in all trims of both CR-V and RDX. Only the seat surfaces that come in contact with a human back or backside are genuine leather. And I'm not sure even that applies in the 2nd-row. The vast majority of the material is vinyl. But vinyl upholstery comes in different grades. ( "Alcantara" is just a high-grade vinyl... kinda like Corinthian Leather )

And in terms of sportiness, no comparison. 0-60 acceleration isn't massively different, but handling is on a completely different level. And the overall responsiveness and feel is much more driver-oriented in the RDX.

As for the trendy fascination with "feature lists": years ago the conventional wisdom was that the gizmos and doo-dads were the first thing to break. Has anything really changed? And as with the upholstery, the quality of the features may not be completely equivalent between brands.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Thank you sir! BTW, where do you wire in the load resistors and are they necessary?
No problem!

Yes load resistors are necessary otherwise they would just hyperflash.

If you look at the link below, there are a few photos showing how to wire correctly:
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 AM
Racer

No problem!

If you look at the link below, there are a few photos showing how to wire correctly:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...lnk-ca-c570-20
Thanks for the update. I shall order the complete set.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Come on guys, Acura RDX have names for headlight and taillight. Jewel Eyes LED headlight and Dragon’s Tail Taillight. Not like Honda CRV, just simple LED head and taillight. We got a winner already.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Don't forget the True Touchpad and the Integrated Dynamic System with its dedicated Big Shiny Well-Polished Knob. CR-V ain't got none of that.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Racer

No problem!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...lnk-ca-c570-20
I ordered and received the LED taillights & load resistors you recommended from Amazon.com. to install in my 2019 Acura RDX. I'm stalled out as to how and where to install the load resistors. Would you share some photos and hints on the correct procedure? There's not much space in the taillight area. Did you drill holes and mount the load resistors to any sheet metal? On the OEM taillight wiring, is the black wire the negative and the gray wire the positive? I'm new at this, but I can follow instructions/tutorials. Please advise. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 PM
Skeptic

What it looks like to me is, electrically, the resistor just goes in parallel to the bulb. Across, parallel, shunt, etc., whatever you want to call it. But I have no idea where they would go physically. Just outside the light cluster? I doubt you can mount them anywhere using the flanges. I would probably just double it over and bundle it onto the wire harness using zip ties to keep it from flopping around.

Sound about right?

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-21-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
What it looks like to me is, electrically, the resistor just goes in parallel to the bulb. Across, parallel, shunt, etc., whatever you want to call it. But I have no idea where they would go physically. Just outside the light cluster? I doubt you can mount them anywhere using the flanges. I would probably just double it over and bundle it onto the wire harness using zip ties to keep it from flopping around.

Sound about right?
Physical location of the load resistor is the challenge. Having pulled out the taillight assembly, installing the LED is not the issue. However, there is not much space once the taillight assembly has been reinstalled to mount the load resistor. My understanding is these load resistors create a lot of heat. I don't want it melting the plastic taillight assembly or rattling around by not screwing it to the sheet metal of the car. I'm reaching out to any forum members who have successfully done this mod. Please advise. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Skeptic

... My understanding is these load resistors create a lot of heat.
Yeah, that 50W rating may only hold if it's properly mounted to a suitable substrate.