Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 Acura RDX vs 2018 Jaguar F-Pace

And the winner is ????? ..... The Shiny New thing
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Reliability, value and features wise Acura hands down, styling and that it factor, Jag.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
This was a really shitty review, but it's funny because I personally will be cross shopping these 2 in the future when they both take a good resale hit. I think what they said about the jags boring interior is very accurate. Boy did Jaguar go with as boring of an interior as they could. There is NOTHING that stands out and it absolutely does not in any way scream luxury. The RDX'S interior is actually MUCH nicer in terms of both quality and styling.

Sidenote: Why the hell did Acura think it was a good idea to use only half the screen for both camera layouts on the top model? There is like 4"s of wasted space on the screen.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
An used RDX sh-awd Adv and F-Pace S model (S/C V-6 at 380hp/332tq) are my two top replacements in the next year or so for my 08 RDX commuter with +150,000 miles (RDX still runs like a beast). I just think a red Jag F-Pace S with black out package and black rims just look pure sexy. My logical side of my brain can't win all the time.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
An used RDX sh-awd Adv and F-Pace S model (S/C V-6 at 380hp/332tq) are my two top replacements in the next year or so for my 08 RDX commuter with +150,000 miles (RDX still runs like a beast). I just think a red Jag F-Pace S with black out package and black rims just look pure sexy. My logical side of my brain can't win all the time.
See this is where I am currently standing as well (I believe we had this conversation way back when the F-Pace came out), I always have to stop and stare when I see a F-Pace driving by. It has these extremely sexy lines and it's just so damn imposing.

But I have some major qualms with it, first being the questionable long term reliability. I just don't have any faith in JLR products so I wouldn't want to be out of warranty with any of its components. The second being that it is INCREDIBLY wide. Like I thought my 2G MDX was wide and it's even wider by like 3" iirc. I hate that because it makes parking difficult and low speed maneuvering cumbersome. I remember taking our now sold santa fe for in town trips vs the MDX because of the truckishness. However the sound of that V6 is absolutely incredible and the 2.0T will never even dream of sounding 30% as good. Not to mention that 8AT is amazing and I think far superior to the 10AT. So I'm sure the Jag would out sport the RDX.

On the flipside the RDX is probably 80% as good performing but is most definitely going to last longer. In terms of cabin tech, I'd say they are both decent except the Jag can be a little laggy. I personally have to think with my head and go with an A-Spec over an F-Pace S though honestly neither is a poor choice.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
...I always have to stop and stare when I see a F-Pace driving by. It has these extremely sexy lines and it's just so damn imposing....
Here's a perfect example of 'different strokes for different folks'. For me the only above average aspect of the styling is the seats - they have really nice lines and detailing. Other than that I see it as being exceptionally boring - to say it nicely. JMO.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:06 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by RDX10
See this is where I am currently standing as well (I believe we had this conversation way back when the F-Pace came out), I always have to stop and stare when I see a F-Pace driving by. It has these extremely sexy lines and it's just so damn imposing.

But I have some major qualms with it, first being the questionable long term reliability. I just don't have any faith in JLR products so I wouldn't want to be out of warranty with any of its components. The second being that it is INCREDIBLY wide. Like I thought my 2G MDX was wide and it's even wider by like 3" iirc. I hate that because it makes parking difficult and low speed maneuvering cumbersome. I remember taking our now sold santa fe for in town trips vs the MDX because of the truckishness. However the sound of that V6 is absolutely incredible and the 2.0T will never even dream of sounding 30% as good. Not to mention that 8AT is amazing and I think far superior to the 10AT. So I'm sure the Jag would out sport the RDX.

On the flipside the RDX is probably 80% as good performing but is most definitely going to last longer. In terms of cabin tech, I'd say they are both decent except the Jag can be a little laggy. I personally have to think with my head and go with an A-Spec over an F-Pace S though honestly neither is a poor choice.
Usually, Acura makes some very nice upgrades at the MMC for their vehicles and reliability also gets better with age. I'm willing to jump in the used Jag F-Pace S in 2019 and wait until the 3rd Gen RDX MMC in 2022-2024 to think about a long term replacement I can take +150,000 miles. I can see updated styling, tech, engine power changes, and aftermarket support for the MMC RDX that will really close the gap between the brand new $70K Jag F-Pace S (too much of a gap for the $80K-90K Jag F-Pace SVR). I'm planning to get 2 out of 3 in the next few years of either the +18 sh-sh-awd MDX Adv, 3rd Gen RDX, or Jag F-Pace S.
RDX10 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Here's a perfect example of 'different strokes for different folks'. For me the only above average aspect of the styling is the seats - they have really nice lines and detailing. Other than that I see it as being exceptionally boring - to say it nicely. JMO.
Hey totally agreed. I personally really like my cars to have simple lines which some people would probably even call boring. For example I really like a lot of Volvos, even the more recent 2000's models but most people would probably say they are really boring. I like a lot of the European design themes. For example on of me favorite cars ever built would have to be the 2007 generation of Lexus LS. Most would call that woefully boring.

Usually, Acura makes some very nice upgrades at the MMC for their vehicles and reliability also gets better with age. I'm willing to jump in the used Jag F-Pace S in 2019 and wait until the 3rd Gen RDX MMC in 2022-2024 to think about a long term replacement I can take +150,000 miles. I can see updated styling, tech, engine power changes, and aftermarket support for the MMC RDX that will really close the gap between the brand new $70K Jag F-Pace S (too much of a gap for the $80K-90K Jag F-Pace SVR). I'm planning to get 2 out of 3 in the next few years of either the +18 sh-sh-awd MDX Adv, 3rd Gen RDX, or Jag F-Pace S.
So you want to swap the RDX and MDX for 2 of those 3 options?

I totally agree with you, the MMC is always the sweet spot for acuras, they usually are at peak reliability and usually do some fairly extensive upgrades to both the looks and the feature content. I personally feel that Acura is going to do some shuffling around of trims either within the next year or even at the MMC. Definitely worthwhile to wait a little bit.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Wow, that's probably the last cross shop suv on my list vs the RDX. I didn't even bother with the video. RDX to me is so versatile in terms of lifestyle. To someone with a small family, you have the space to fit your demon kids in the back and still stuff your Costco junk in the back while looking some what respectable. It can also be a posh car for the singles. It wears many skins.

You get a F-Pace if you want a Jag, don't care about cargo/passenger space, and just want the new, shiny, flashy toy this year. However, as my trusty mechanic (his brother just got one) said, "buy? hell no, just make sure you lease that guy."
Old 09-07-2018, 08:00 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by acuraada
Wow, that's probably the last cross shop suv on my list vs the RDX. I didn't even bother with the video. RDX to me is so versatile in terms of lifestyle. To someone with a small family, you have the space to fit your demon kids in the back and still stuff your Costco junk in the back while looking some what respectable. It can also be a posh car for the singles. It wears many skins.

You get a F-Pace if you want a Jag, don't care about cargo/passenger space, and just want the new, shiny, flashy toy this year. However, as my trusty mechanic (his brother just got one) said, "buy? hell no, just make sure you lease that guy."
It is a left brain/right brain kinda decision with the F-Pace -vs- the RDX for me. I like the RDX and it checks all the boxes; but, the RDX is always associated with words like "not a standout in one category; but, best all around value", "reliable", "bang for the buck", or "capable performer". I like the 3rd Gen RDX styling a lot better than the 2nd Gen. In the right color combo, the F-Pace can look just as good if not better to me and an extra 108hp/52tq for F-Pace S model over the RDX doesn't hurt either. Wife and I always had kid(s) at home since 1986 and we are now empty nesters for almost 2 years (last kid still in college). Time to let the right brain have some fun...

Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Right on Mr. Gold!

If not now, when?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM
2013 RDX tech Amber

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I was ready to like the F Pace but when I sat in the interior it completely bored me and did not look like a luxury product. To me my new RDX Advance is nicer than the BMW i just turned in and I am loving my car.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CBT , im the exact same as you. Interior so blah, not a nice place to be. Deal breaker.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree, the RDX really is a awesome all around vehicle and checks all my boxes at a great price. This is a bit of an unorthodox comparison though so I think these are not meant to compete.

It is a left brain/right brain kinda decision with the F-Pace -vs- the RDX for me. I like the RDX and it checks all the boxes; but, the RDX is always associated with words like "not a standout in one category; but, best all around value", "reliable", "bang for the buck", or "capable performer". I like the 3rd Gen RDX styling a lot better than the 2nd Gen. In the right color combo, the F-Pace can look just as good if not better to me and an extra 108hp/52tq for F-Pace S model over the RDX doesn't hurt either. Wife and I always had kid(s) at home since 1986 and we are now empty nesters for almost 2 years (last kid still in college). Time to let the right brain have some fun...

Just do it! You've had enough years of driving great all around vehicles, let yourself have a little fun, just have an extended warranty. Fwiw I think all the Jags tech has been used for a few years before going into rhe Jag as well so it could even end up being as reliable as the first year of the RDX. Who knows.

Originally Posted by cbstsx09
I was ready to like the F Pace but when I sat in the interior it completely bored me and did not look like a luxury product. To me my new RDX Advance is nicer than the BMW i just turned in and I am loving my car.
The interior is not a deal breaker for me, but I'm disappointed because they could have done SO MUCH BETTER. The cheap hard plastic on the lower interior parts is unacceptable for a vehicle costing as much as it does and from a brand like Jaguar.
mrgold35 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
The Jag is drop dead gorgeous but, no adaptive cruise or lane-keeping assist is a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by catbert430
The Jag is drop dead gorgeous but, no adaptive cruise or lane-keeping assist is a deal breaker for me.
Both of those features are unreliable at best. Can't see them being deal breakers.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by catbert430
i dont understand why anyone cares about lane keep assist? I can see the adaptive cruise benefits..
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by soesfairview
Both of those features are unreliable at best. Can't see them being deal breakers.
Originally Posted by chkelly
i dont understand why anyone cares about lane keep assist? I can see the adaptive cruise benefits..
Some people just like having all the extra toys and tech. I personally would never buy a newer car without heated steering wheel and cooled seats but many people think those are frilly. But I couldn't care less for adaptive cruise and lane keep...etc.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
lol cooled seats are awesome in the summer! Ya the F-Pace looks nice outside but that interior doesn't feel luxurious at all when I was inside....
Old 09-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
lol cooled seats are awesome in the summer! Ya the F-Pace looks nice outside but that interior doesn't feel luxurious at all when I was inside....
You're telling me! I even sometimes use them in the winter when my back gets sweaty. I tend to overheat pretty easily and this results in a lot of nasty back sweat so cooled seats keep me fresh as a daisy, ESPECIALLY in the summer. My Sorento had cooled seats and a heated steering wheel, during the fall and spring I loved having the heated wheel on while the cooled seats were on, it's a strange feeling but somehow just perfect for me lol. Now if someone would come out with a cooled wheel for those hot as hell summer days and you have to park facing the sun...there I go being frilly again.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Everyone has their own requirements, no need to knock others. I forego heated steering wheel in my last purchase and regretted ever since. I will not buy another vehicle without one. It is an absolute requirement and a deal breaker.

Someone living in San Diego will surely think I am crazy.

To each of its own.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

...I forego heated steering wheel in my last purchase and regretted ever since. I will not buy another vehicle without one...
I did the same and could not believe how much I missed it - never again.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I test drove several vehicles including the F-Pace, and the exterior design of the F-Pace is what made it stick around and land in my top two. However, I felt the ride was a bit rougher and I did not like how the center stack and infotainment system cut into the leg room of the driver and passenger sides. It felt really cramped. Thus, my order of finish was the RDX, F-Pace, Q5 and then X3. I couldn't get myself to drive the Lexus RX or NX as the exterior is just horrid.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
I test drove several vehicles including the F-Pace, and the exterior design of the F-Pace is what made it stick around and land in my top two. However, I felt the ride was a bit rougher and I did not like how the center stack and infotainment system cut into the leg room of the driver and passenger sides. It felt really cramped. Thus, my order of finish was the RDX, F-Pace, Q5 and then X3. I couldn't get myself to drive the Lexus RX or NX as the exterior is just horrid.
I haven't taken the F-Pace for a test drive. I do need maximum space being 6'3", 270lbs, and size 14 shoe. I was surprised my 1st Gen RDX has more leg room in the driver's seat for me compared to my 11 MDX. The MDX wins on wider and more comfy seats in every position, quiet cabin, and smoother ride.

I had my son's TSX for service last week and the shuttle service was taking too long to arrive back to give me a lift back to work. The dealership gave me a 19 RDX fwd tech as a loaner until the TSX was done. All the tech, displays, and buttons was a bit overwhelming jumping into the 19 RDX from my much older gen 06 TSX navi or 08 RDX tech. My main thing was driver's comfort and the 19 RDX hit on all points. I had zero issues getting comfy, adjusting the steering wheel, having a access to all displays, and 360 degree visibility out mirrors or over the shoulder. I even gave the 19 RDX the "arm test" where I like to drive with my elbow on the window sill with the seat in max rearward position and it passed 100% (couldn't do this with the current gen MDX because of the large seatbelt pillar). Might have to test out the sh-awd and/or the Adv RDX models to see how those versions drive.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
... I couldn't get myself to drive the Lexus RX or NX as the exterior is just horrid.
No point in being politically correct here, they are not that nice. I think 'unbelievably ugly' is the term you're looking for. :wink:

ps: I feel the same.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
The FPace looks like just another SUV to me.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
No point in being politically correct here, they are not that nice. I think 'unbelievably ugly' is the term you're looking for. :wink:

ps: I feel the same.

Lol...the NX is not quite as bad, but the RX is like the current generation Pontiac Aztek. It's shocking that so many are still buying it, but Lexus does offer a nice dealer experience and has a good ride and good reliability. That must be enough to overcome a mouth that looks like it will swallow children playing in the street.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Advanced

I haven't taken the F-Pace for a test drive. I do need maximum space being 6'3", 270lbs, and size 14 shoe. I was surprised my 1st Gen RDX has more leg room in the driver's seat for me compared to my 11 MDX. The MDX wins on wider and more comfy seats in every position, quiet cabin, and smoother ride.

I had my son's TSX for service last week and the shuttle service was taking too long to arrive back to give me a lift back to work. The dealership gave me a 19 RDX fwd tech as a loaner until the TSX was done. All the tech, displays, and buttons was a bit overwhelming jumping into the 19 RDX from my much older gen 06 TSX navi or 08 RDX tech. My main thing was driver's comfort and the 19 RDX hit on all points. I had zero issues getting comfy, adjusting the steering wheel, having a access to all displays, and 360 degree visibility out mirrors or over the shoulder. I even gave the 19 RDX the "arm test" where I like to drive with my elbow on the window sill with the seat in max rearward position and it passed 100% (couldn't do this with the current gen MDX because of the large seatbelt pillar). Might have to test out the sh-awd and/or the Adv RDX models to see how those versions drive.
I traded in my 2010 MDX for the 2019 RDX and I feel both the front and 2nd rows are roomier and more comfortable in the RDX than my old MDX. Part of the reason is that the MDX had to accommodate space for a 3rd row, and I realized I did not need a 3rd row and I could do with a slightly smaller cargo space. I have had the RDX for 2 months and am still loving it. Definitely a homerun for Acura.