2019 Acura RDX A-Spec Disappointing Quality (Can)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec Disappointing Quality (Can)

Just wanted to share with you all my experience with my brand new RDX A-Spec... On my way home after the delivery, I noticed that my navigation position never moved from the dealership and I proceeded to do a factory reset at home which didn't fix the issue. Had it brought back the next day and it had taken my dealership a total of 2 weeks just to tell me that they replaced my antenna which also did not solve the issue but in fact, I was told that my vehicle had an outdated firmware which should not have left the factory...

My second disappointment is the overall quality of the vehicle I received. I've included pictures of tears, leather sticking out of steering wheel, and random scratch from what i've observed so far. I had asked my service consultant to ask regarding the quality of the steering wheel and he responded saying "I had 2 managers check and it seems like the other A-Specs has similar situations but in different spots compared to my steering wheel". I did not want to complain but I've been in two generations of MDX and last generation RDX and have never noticed any quality issues that i'm currently observing inside the RDX.

I do believe Burrard Acura here in Vancouver did what they could... but overall, I feel like Acura rushed this product out the door... Do any of you agree that Acura quality is just not as great as it use to be? Or I was simply given a lemon...?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 AM
6th Gear

Old 09-05-2018, 02:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
It’s not a high end luxury car. Everyone wanted more tech, so we got more tech. Everyone wanted the price to stay the same as much as possible, so Acura did their best to do just that. Something has to give. Can’t have a Porsche on a VW budget.

None of those defects look bad to me. I mean, you have to zoom right in to even see anything. I’d just keep an eye on it... you have a few years of warranty. If it starts getting worse, take it in and have it replaced for free. Annoying, yes, I feel you on that. But such is life these days with any complex vehicle.

The navigation would be a piss off. That is unacceptable. Not sure how they messed up putting old firmware in.

I hate to say it [again], but the days of Acura/Honda reliability are over. They outsource a lot of tech (and other stuff) because they simply don’t have the money or resources to develop them, themselves. We always called BMWs and Audis and whatever else unreliable, but that’s because they were ahead of the curve in terms of tech. They started outsourcing before everyone else. Now Honda/Acura are up to that point and we get issues. Unfortunately this is the downside of cramming more and more features into a car. Back in the day, those H/A cars were fully designed in house, and as such, they were bullet proof.

I've always been the type who would only buy the absolute fully loaded model of a car for a given year, because I was an options whore. But I’m starting to rethink that strategy. I’m actually wondering if I should buy a completely base model car, whatever I buy next. I don’t need a lot of that stuff and it is bound to fail eventually. No two ways about it.

I look at my ‘06 TL... we found out the bluetooth module was only designed to last about 5 years. Wtf. It was outsourced, not made by Acura. Same with the navigation system in the car- it’s made by alpine. Mine shit the bed twice already. These days it doesn’t work and I’m not sure I want to spend $400 on a used navi drive that will likely crap out sooner than later. And that was from a car built 12 years ago. It’s only going to get worse.

I wouldnt stress too too much about the wheel or windshield. Windshields never last long anyway, so that one is kind of alright in my mind. As for the wheel... like I said, I’d just keep an eye on it.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
This a FAR from you being given a LEMON. What you are seeing may be disappointing but your car is not classified as a lemon because of cosmetic issues. DEEP BREATHE.............
Old 09-05-2018, 06:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you for explaining about the outsourcing, makes a lot of sense. I currently own 2009 tsx bought new, NEVER had a problem with it. I was thinking of upgrading to RDX, however I see red flags, too much bloat. I was thinking maybe the base model, then add stuff I want, however it does not have blind spot monitoring, and the rear view does seem comprised. So I’m keeping my tsx for now...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Team Owner

I remember reading an article somewhere here on AZ regarding the semi autonomous system Acura has. Or was it Honda? I forget. Either way, same thing.

In any regard, Honda went out to test it and their system failed miserably. It scored 0.2 out of a possible rating of 25, because it mowed down a “pedestrian” that it should have stopped in front of. They ended up using a system designed and engineered by Bosch and it ended up scoring near perfect marks. They admitted they simply cannot be at the forefront of technology, not only building existing tech, but also developing brand new future tech. It’s a ton of R&D costs and it’s hard for them to recoup those costs after. So they went with a third party system instead. Problem with third party systems is evident. This article focuses on one aspect, but our cars are packed with plenty of tech from other manufacturers these days. I think the QA/QC standards might be different for what is acceptable, etc. Read the article. It’s very interesting.

Here is is the article:

Honda Took Pride in Doing Everything Itself. The Cost of Technology Made That Impossible.

The car maker outsources key tech for electric vehicles and autonomous driving to fight high R&D costs

Aug. 5, 2018 12:00 p.m. ET

TOKYO—A semiautonomous Honda SUV was traveling down a test track at 20 miles an hour in March last year when a child-size test dummy moved into the middle of the road. Oblivious, the Honda mowed it down.

It was part of a brutal day of Japanese government testing for Honda Motor Co. HMC 1.81% , whose vehicle was equipped with a camera and sensors that were supposed to detect obstacles and apply brakes to avoid a collision. The SUV scored 0.2 out of a possible 25 points in the pedestrian portion of the test, the worst among tested vehicles.

With its long heritage of technical prowess, Honda was determined to do better—and it did. But Honda engineering didn’t get it there. The car maker turned to an off-the-shelf sensing kit from Robert Bosch GmbH, the companies said. With the Bosch technology, the new Honda Civic took the same test in November and scored 24.4 out of 25.

Honda’s decision to go shopping points to a radical culture change at one of Japan’s proudest companies, where founder Soichiro Honda in the 1960s said, “We refuse to depend on anyone else.” The struggle at the entrepreneurial success story cuts deep into Japan’s sense of itself as a global leader in technology.

Honda once used staff technicians to design new technologies ranging from engines to the shape of the suspension arms. Today, Honda believes rapid shifts in technology mean it can no longer afford to keep pace working solely on its own.

That is raising hackles among some within the company who complain about “PowerPoint engineering”—where engineers assemble slides showing how they will patch together others’ technology rather than build it themselves.

“Honda is changing things that Honda should not change,” said Hideaki Tsuru, who worked in Honda’s R&D arm for 20 years until retiring in 2016. He said making unique products is “Honda’s soul.”

Car makers around the world are under stress from the huge investments needed to develop new technologies used in electric vehicles and autonomous driving. To trim costs, most are leaning on megasuppliers such as Bosch, Continental AG and Denso Corp. , as well as smaller companies with cutting-edge technology such as Intel Corp. subsidiary Mobileye.

“We want to work with those that possess the best technology, regardless of whether they are Japanese suppliers or American ones or European ones,” said Honda’s chief executive, Takahiro Hachigo, in an interview.

Honda has announced deals with Chinese search giant Baidu Inc. to develop mapping technology for autonomous vehicles, and with Chinese startup SenseTime Co. to build camera software for self-driving vehicles. The company has a deal with SoftBank Corp. for artificial intelligence that SoftBank says will be able to read a driver’s emotions, so that in the future cars can perform tasks such as suggesting music based on your mood.

Honda, which prides itself above all on its engines, is farming out the development of an electric motor. Hitachi Ltd.’s auto-parts division has the majority stake in a joint venture with Honda that will make electric motors for Honda cars by March 2021. By 2030, two-thirds of its cars will be partially or fully electric, Mr. Hachigo said. In June, Honda also said it would buy electric-car batteries from General Motors Co.

For Honda, whose official name translates as Honda Technical Research Industry, the shift to outsourcing is forcing it to rethink its identity as a creator of unique auto technologies. Some of its most famous products include a navigation system that pre-dated civilian use of GPS, and the CVCC engine, which used less fuel and cut emissions. At the time of the engine’s unveiling in 1972, Honda’s then-head of engine research, Shizuo Yagi, trumpeted: “We at Honda did everything on our own.”

For many Japanese, Honda reflected the originality and self-confidence that turned the country into an industrial powerhouse after World War II. Today, Japanese manufacturers’ lead in quality over upstarts in South Korea and China is narrowing, and Japan’s car industry has fallen behind Silicon Valley and Europe on the software development needed to build complex self-driving vehicles.

In recent years, the challenges of competing with bigger companies with higher profits—in particular Toyota Motor Corp. —have dogged Honda. Bigger companies have an advantage in absorbing the high cost of developing technology. Honda’s R&D budget was about 5% of revenue last year, compared with Toyota’s 3.5% of revenue.

Toyota, which makes about 10 million cars a year, twice Honda’s number, has said it would spend billions of dollars on in-house research into self-driving cars. The company took full ownership of Daihatsu in 2016 and owns stakes in Mazda Motor Corp. and Subaru Corp. The companies work together on next-generation technologies, helping lower Toyota’s costs.

The alliance of Renault SA, Nissan Motor Co. and Mitsubishi Motor Corp. aims to sell 14 million cars by 2022. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV’s late CEO Sergio Marchionne once called for a merger to create a car maker that could sell 15 million vehicles a year, in part to achieve greater savings, although he later said the company could survive on its own. It shipped 4.7 million cars last year.

Mr. Hachigo has said Honda isn’t interested in merging with another car maker.

The company was founded in 1946 by Soichiro Honda, a tinkerer who loved to battle the giants with his own innovations. He and a dozen workers took engines intended for small electric generators and attached them to bicycles, the first Honda product. Within 15 years, a Honda motorcycle was beating European rivals at the Isle of Man motorcycle race.

Around that time, Mr. Honda rushed out a prototype automobile despite having almost no experience in building them, in defiance of a planned Japanese law that would have restricted entry in the market.

Today, Honda employs more than 200,000 people around the world. As it grew, the company started to prioritize profits over innovation, a cost-cutting strategy that lowered quality and led to a backlash from fans and hurt sales, former Honda executives said.

The global financial crisis in 2008 and floods in Thailand in 2011, which disrupted the supply of parts, hammered Honda’s profits. The chief executive at the time, Takanobu Ito, sought to overhaul the company to make it leaner and bigger, fearing Honda would be left behind if it didn’t pursue Toyota-like scale.

In 2012, Mr. Ito said Honda would double car sales to six million by 2017 by concentrating on sales in emerging markets like China and India. Key to that strategy was an updated Fit hatchback that would be of high-enough quality to be sold in the U.S. and Japan, but inexpensive enough for India and China. Mr. Hachigo, in the interview, said that idea was impractical because of the vast differences in the markets.

Mr. Ito sought to rein in the independence of Honda’s powerful research and development arm in an effort to trim spending on projects with no obvious commercial benefit—a past project had researchers studying the cockroach nervous system, according to former engineers and executives. The group still operates with its own parallel management structure, but research projects need the approval of headquarters, one of the former executives said.

The rush for size combined with efforts to cut costs caused disarray. Honda’s ninth-generation Civic, which went on sale in 2011, was panned for its poor-quality materials. Critics pointed to poor handling and a cheap interior, which were uncharacteristic of past Hondas. The Fit, which shared many components with the Civic, had to be recalled five times in the year following its introduction in 2013.

By the end of his term, Mr. Ito was already reversing course, dropping his sales target and allowing engineers more leeway in designing the 10th generation Civic, which got favorable reviews.

Mr. Hachigo, a Honda lifer who had helped build the China business, took over in 2015. Echoing his predecessor’s own self-criticism, Mr. Hachigo said the company spread itself too thin chasing growth.

The new tone was clear in the announcement last year on the deal with Hitachi for electric motors. “Rather than one company doing everything, it is important to gather the best parts and assemble them into one vehicle,” Mr. Hachigo said.

Potential tariffs or revisions to the North American Free Trade Agreement could complicate Honda’s business. The car maker assembles about three-quarters of the vehicles it sells in the U.S. at American factories. But it has expanded in Mexico, where its latest plant, in Celaya, can produce 200,000 cars and SUVs, over half of which are exported to the U.S.

Honda’s changed strategy emerged in the back-and-forth over Honda Sensing, its semiautonomous driving system. Earlier versions of the system were co-developed by Honda and a subsidiary, called Honda Elesys, which was sold in 2013. One person who worked on it said that by 2014 Honda was talking to Bosch about supplying a new system because the Elesys system couldn’t reliably distinguish pedestrians from other objects—Honda warned on its Japanese website the camera might not properly identify objects smaller than 1 meter or taller than 2 meters.

The car maker had hoped to persuade Bosch to build something unique for it but eventually decided to buy an off-the-shelf system after the German company, which deals with practically every major auto maker, said it was impractical, the person said.

Spokespeople at both companies confirmed that Honda uses Bosch equipment for Honda Sensing but declined to discuss the decision-making process. Honda Sensing, which is meant to assist the driver on tasks such as maintaining a constant distance behind another vehicle or in sudden braking to avoid an accident, is now standard on many models.

The company’s next challenge is to develop cars with fuller self-driving abilities. Honda has said it plans to sell a vehicle that can drive autonomously on highways by 2020.

Its peers have more ambitious schedules: Nissan has said its vehicles will be able to drive themselves on city streets by 2020, while GM has said it aims to run a large-scale fleet of driverless cars in big U.S. cities by 2019.

Honda said it wants to combine in-house research with the fruits of tie-ups such as the one with SenseTime, the Chinese company that builds software to identify people and objects seen through a car’s cameras.

In a demonstration for journalists last summer, Honda’s self-driving prototype rolled through a stop sign without halting. A Honda spokesman said the vehicle was an early prototype and that its performance is now much improved as a result of collaboration with SenseTime.

Honda’s eventual self-driving system will likely have only a fraction of its software written by Honda engineers, said Yuji Yasui, chief engineer for autonomous vehicles.

“Car makers focus on developing some things, suppliers on others,” he said. “We haven’t changed. What changed is that it is inefficient for Honda to do everything ourselves.”
Old 09-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not to mention the RDX is manufactured here in the States, I believe I read somewhere in Kentucky.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by OK-RDX
Not to mention the RDX is manufactured here in the States, I believe I read somewhere in Kentucky.
East Liberty, Ohio

The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
OK-RDX (09-06-2018), securityguy (09-05-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Not Luxury or near Luxury, I can see why OP is upset about poor craftsmanship. I also agree that quality of the first year redesign is always questionable, it’s simply experience.

Just because 3 or 4 on the lot have the same stitching issue, it doesn’t make it normal and probably a bad batch.

I would fight for a replacement of the wheel. Unless everyone on this thread have the same stitch misalignment, then it’s a “feature”.

dont settle, we are not talking about a Honda here

Last edited by acuraada; 09-06-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Not Luxury or near Luxury, I can see why OP is upset about poor craftsmanship. I also agree that quality of the first year redesign is always questionable, it’s simply experience.

Just because 3 or 4 on the lot have the same stitching issue, it doesn’t make it normal and probably a bad batch.

I would fight for a replacement of the wheel. Unless everyone on this thread have the same stitch misalignment, then it’s a “feature”.

dont settle, we are not talking about a Honda here

Of course we are talking about a Honda here. As I am sure you know, there is no separate company called Acura that makes cars, and Honda sells their cars only under the Honda nameplate in most countries.

As far as the quality issues go, I always spend a long time looking over a car before I take delivery. On one occasion, there were several similar cars available, and I picked the one that had the best looking leather. I doubt Honda will do anything about the stitching issue now.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
Most. Insignificant. Defects. Ever.
The following users liked this post:
oblio98 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Of course we are talking about a Honda here. As I am sure you know, there is no separate company called Acura that makes cars, and Honda sells their cars only under the Honda nameplate in most countries.
...... of course, that was meant as a sly remark. You paid a premium over Honda for their luxury Acura. Demand the luxury experience.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catbert430
how do you know if his hand doesn’t feel the rough stitching ?

do you have perfect stitching on yours? I know my GLK does. Not a single misalignment. But if that’s his only issue, ya, it’s most insignificant issue compared to what others are experiencing

Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

For what it's worth...I just went out to my RDX to look at the steering wheel with great critique. I went over it stitch by stitch and every one is in perfect alignment and no rough edges or small tears. I am very pleased to find this based on what I've read in this discussion. So, in conclusion, all of the steering wheels are not like the OP's so it may have very well been a bad "batch" or several that missed the QC process. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by securityguy
For what it's worth...I just went out to my RDX to look at the steering wheel with great critique. I went over it stitch by stitch and every one is in perfect alignment and no rough edges or small tears...
Funny - I just did the same, with the same results.

Noticed the OP has an A-Spec with perforated leather steering wheel. That in itself could be a contributing factor versus the smooth leather in mine.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I expect by next year, the issues will be minimal, which is good as I am in the market for a new vehicle next year.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada

...... of course, that was meant as a sly remark. You paid a premium over Honda for their luxury Acura. Demand the luxury experience.
The point I was trying to make was that all Honda produced vehicles should have good quality. Acura's generally have fancier features such as higher quality leather, but the leather in a Honda should have good stitching (assuming it has stitching.) I could not tell from the pictures whether the issues are manufacturing defects, or something that could have happened later. However, for most cosmetic issues, once you drive the car off the lot, it is harder to get it fixed under warranty.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 PM
10th Gear

I do agree with you, same on mine. Also I got unaligned bumpers and doors....
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I expect by next year, the issues will be minimal, which is good as I am in the market for a new vehicle next year.
It took acura years to fix the front brake noise/vibration issues in gen 2; so I am not as confident
Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My dad bought a 3.2TL (made in Japan) in 1996 from Lougheed Acura in Coquitlam. Everything about the car was so much better than my 1995 Accord (made in US) that no one would put them in the same sentence. These days the accord and the TLX are just the same shit. They put their B team in charge of acura and it shows.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:54 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
So far my ctr has been free of any defects. My RDX is also so far so good. Guess I will know more in the future and how things last.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 AM
6th Gear

@everyone, I definitely exaggerated on calling it a lemon, but I don't think Acura should be excused for making poor(er) quality vehicles because of demand of more and more standard features/tech. I mean they did increase the price... (yes still cheaper than the Germans similarly spec'd..) I'm simply here to warn everyone what to expect when delivered a 50K CAD vehicle with leather sticking out of the stitching on the steering wheel which are on my touch points and therefore, I will be reminded of it's existence for the rest of time. Maybe Acura shouldn't pay all those journalists/Youtube reviewers to go to Whistler just to compare their RDX with the Germans and instead, put that money into their own research/development team then.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 AM
6th Gear

For what it's worth...I just went out to my RDX to look at the steering wheel with great critique. I went over it stitch by stitch and every one is in perfect alignment and no rough edges or small tears. I am very pleased to find this based on what I've read in this discussion. So, in conclusion, all of the steering wheels are not like the OP's so it may have very well been a bad "batch" or several that missed the QC process. Just my 2 cents
I actually went back into the dealership to look at the model they had on the showroom floor, they had similar leather bits sticking out but was on a different spot on the steering wheel... Maybe just a bad batch sent to this dealership or Canada or what have you.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:35 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Ya I here you but you know new cars aren't what they used to be ..or so they say...

I'm in this S2000 Whatsapp group and just now, one of the members posted a video of his brand new Golf R. He was doing an engine change. After he's done, he closed the hood, and one of his headlights cracked...lol..no joke. OEM replacement - $1700.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:39 AM
6th Gear

I've leased/owned Germans, Japanese, and ACURAs, some cheaper and some more expensive than this RDX. I am being charged 50k plus tax (Cad) and will be reminded of the price I paid WHILE I have leather poking at my hands every moment while I drive this vehicle.

I. Am. Allowed. To. Be. Disappointed.
securityguy (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:43 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Eric H
I do agree with you, same on mine. Also I got unaligned bumpers and doors....
I've been eyeing a feel spots where things don't look lined up perfectly, but i'm honestly too sad to dwell on it since I just got the vehicle back after 2 weeks in the shop brand new...
Old 09-07-2018, 02:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
OP you have a right to be upset, if I spent 50k on a new car only to have it sit 2 weeks at the dealer and to also find little trim bits out of place is frustrating. After all you bought a new car so that it would be "perfect".

My advice to you is to just relax and maybe try and work a deal out with the dealer. Be thankful that you don't have some of the larger issues mentioned here on the forums. This is a first year model and I have never ever sat in a first year redesign model and not found at least a few little defects. This is spanning multiple makes and models. Another factor is they have to push cars out at a slightly faster rate than nornal and a lot of little things are missed.

This is the most solid attempt from Acura ever in my opinion (barring the uber expensive NSX) but at the end of the day Acura will always be Honda+ simply because of the size of the company. So we might never see Mercedes or Audi attention to detail.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:57 AM
Team Owner

If that dealer is being a dumb asshole, I’d just go to another dealership. You are not relegated to going to that same one. I guess I was being a dumb asshole by saying it’s not a big deal. If it bothers your hand, it should be replaced. I had smaller stuff replaced under warranty for my 370z Nismo.

Being in Vancouver, you should have a few Acura dealers their, I would imagine, no? I know it’s an inconvenience on your part, but if you end up walking away happy by the end of it, I’d say it’s worth it. Same with the windshield, or whatever glass that was.

Warranty issues are the way of modern cars, these days. Not all have issues, but there’s a batch of every model, regardless of who makes it, that will have something wrong with them. I don’t think any vehicle is exempt.

Sorry OP... I didn’t mean to discredit your initial post. But like that article I posted, I think this is something we will see more and more these days.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Burning Brakes

It is strange that some people will over look defects on a 45-50k purchase and yet I bet if you spot a misalignment on your $1000 iPhone, you will be bringing that thing back immediately.

maybe you guys are leasing and therefore don’t sweat the details since the car is going back in 3yrs.

OP, I would fight to get the wheel replaced. Thanks for sharing your experience, it reminds us that inspection at delivery is extremely important.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Pro

Canada gets everything. Even defective workmanship.
pnoi521 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Raincouver
I've leased/owned Germans, Japanese, and ACURAs, some cheaper and some more expensive than this RDX. I am being charged 50k plus tax (Cad) and will be reminded of the price I paid WHILE I have leather poking at my hands every moment while I drive this vehicle.

Sorry if I trivialized your problems. I literally could not see the defects on my monitor.
Now that I've looked again several times, I think you should insist that the dealer order a new wheel from the factory.
This should not have passed QC.
It's not that hard for them to change out the wheel.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thing NOT mentioned here is, that in THIS age, skills at your job is not number one on the list. This world has been browbeat and forced into putting race, gender, and a host of other things at the top of the qualifications list. This started years ago, I was a Comm Tech at the BIG Telecomm Company. That was the top rated job repairing electronic equipment, It was the top paying non-management job. In the 70s when all the equality issues went wild, the company went bonkers to get women into the top jobs, like I had and it was all men and that time with women as the clerks. So how did they accomplish this? As a tech, I had to get a FCC radio telephone license, take and pass electricity and electronics courses, and go to a lot of schools on the new equipment. So, did they do this with the new workers, females and males, and minorities. Uh, no, they just promoted them from clerks to the new job level and they just kept doing the jobs they did before clerk work for the most part. There were only a few exceptions. They also hired people from off the street who had no clue and some of them refused to come to work. In my time, I would have been immediately fires for laying out. Did they fired them. NO, they begged them to come to work, they sent taxi's for them! It was a sad time. So, I say, probably the same thing is happening today, they have to meet the quotas, you know. I am not say that is all the problems, money is the next...the bottom line. Causing cutting corners. Ever thought about having a quota Doctor do a brain operation on you? I had a friend,who's wife who survived cancer for many years, only to be killed by two quota technicians who obviously did not have a clue about operating a dialysis machine on his wife. Again, I know there are exceptions, but finding them is a crap shoot for us.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Raincouver

agreed
Old 09-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Canada gets everything. Even defective workmanship.
man you are really a catbert
Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Funny - I just did the same, with the same results.

Noticed the OP has an A-Spec with perforated leather steering wheel. That in itself could be a contributing factor versus the smooth leather in mine.
I'm pretty sure our non-A-Spec steering wheel covers are silky smooth because they have never been anywhere near a steer.

( Not genuine leather ).

A-spec may have a genuine leather steering wheel cover. If so, the leather should smooth itself with exposure to sweat and oils from your skin. A bit of leather conditioner could help it along, but don't make it too greasy or you might regret it.

Last edited by Wander; 09-07-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I hate to say it [again], but the days of Acura/Honda reliability are over. They outsource a lot of tech (and other stuff) because they simply don’t have the money or resources to develop them, themselves. We always called BMWs and Audis and whatever else unreliable, but that’s because they were ahead of the curve in terms of tech. They started outsourcing before everyone else. Now Honda/Acura are up to that point and we get issues. Unfortunately this is the downside of cramming more and more features into a car. Back in the day, those H/A cars were fully designed in house, and as such, they were bullet proof.

I've always been the type who would only buy the absolute fully loaded model of a car for a given year, because I was an options whore. But I’m starting to rethink that strategy. I’m actually wondering if I should buy a completely base model car, whatever I buy next. I don’t need a lot of that stuff and it is bound to fail eventually. No two ways about it.

I look at my ‘06 TL... we found out the bluetooth module was only designed to last about 5 years. Wtf. It was outsourced, not made by Acura. Same with the navigation system in the car- it’s made by alpine. Mine shit the bed twice already. These days it doesn’t work and I’m not sure I want to spend $400 on a used navi drive that will likely crap out sooner than later. And that was from a car built 12 years ago. It’s only going to get worse.

This is where my head is at as well. I know so many people with brand new cars, all different makes and models, and the electronics are nothing but problems. I like to keep my cars for a long time and my '09 TSX is running great but the electronics are starting to go on the fritz. The cost to fix the now very outdated technology would not be worth it to me so I will probably end up just dumping the car.

Also, I hate the idea of the nanny systems because I am a very aware driver and like to drive and be in control and I would turn most of them off due to annoyance so I would be paying a lot of $ for many features that I won't even use.
TacoBello (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wander
I'm pretty sure our non-A-Spec steering wheel covers are silky smooth because they have never been anywhere near a steer.

( Not genuine leather ).

A-spec may have a genuine leather steering wheel cover. If so, the leather should smooth itself with exposure to sweat and oils from your skin. A bit of leather conditioner could help it along, but don't make it too greasy or you might regret it.

First of all, all RDX steer wheels are leather regardless of trim.. APEC has proliferated and softer leather.

second, the complaint and picture is about poor craftsmanship on stitching.

thanks,
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Also, I hate the idea of the nanny systems because I am a very aware driver and like to drive and be in control and I would turn most of them off due to annoyance so I would be paying a lot of $ for many features that I won't even use.
Everybody thinks they are a "GREAT" driver...and you may very well be, but that is not the point. It takes only one ***hole to cut you off and the cars reaction time is FAR better than yours. $hit happens and I, for one, welcome the technology as it my just save my life or minimize my risk and damage with all of the distracted idiots on the road today. You may be very "aware" but your car is more aware
Old 09-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Everybody thinks they are a "GREAT" driver...and you may very well be, but that is not the point. It takes only one ***hole to cut you off and the cars reaction time is FAR better than yours. $hit happens and I, for one, welcome the technology as it my just save my life or minimize my risk and damage with all of the distracted idiots on the road today. You may be very "aware" but your car is more aware
Sure it is, that is why you have sensors constantly going off for no reason and cars suddenly slamming on their brakes for no reason and putting you into a dangerous situation. Machines are only as good as their designers and very specific scenarios, have a kink anywhere in that process and you will have trouble.

I am not anti-technology by any means and safety is important but what is the point of paying for something that you know you won't like or want to use? Blind spot warning light, cool. Forcing my steering wheel and/or beeps and warning lights when a sensor just thinks that I am veering from a lane or slamming on my brakes for me makes me uneasy.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
The point I was trying to make was that all Honda produced vehicles should have good quality. Acura's generally have fancier features such as higher quality leather, but the leather in a Honda should have good stitching (assuming it has stitching.) I could not tell from the pictures whether the issues are manufacturing defects, or something that could have happened later. However, for most cosmetic issues, once you drive the car off the lot, it is harder to get it fixed under warranty.
no it’s not.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec Disappointing Quality (Can)