2019 Acura RDX - envelope-style cargo net installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2019 Acura RDX - envelope-style cargo net installation

Has anyone tried installing an envelope-style cargo net in the trunk? I was totally disappointed after I got the car with cargo net pre-installed, that ended up being a floor-style cargo net with no way to install a vertical cargo net that's been in all other Acura and Honda vehicles...

I hope that someone had luck and could share how to solve the problem.

Thank you,
Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM
8th Gear

Question

For example, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TQKVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2080SWGR7QSOG&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TQKVI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2080SWGR7QSOG&psc=1
It has screws that supposedly could be used to attach the net to the sites of the trunk. Has anyone tried doing that in their 2019 RDX?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:11 AM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Screws? Yikes!

I'm not sure what your goal may be, but there are barriers that clip to the rear seat head rest supports without screwing into anything. Completely removable, like it never happened.

And if you just want to contain groceries, consider flipping back the lid of the "under-floor" storage cubby and stashing the stuff in there. ( Assuming it's not already full of "stuff" ).
Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by VladK
For example, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WGR7QSOG&psc=1
It has screws that supposedly could be used to attach the net to the sites of the trunk. Has anyone tried doing that in their 2019 RDX?

why not?
if you think about what the trunk is made of - a combination of MDF and carpet, you wont hurt it.
measure and find the best mounting points for the net, then screw in the pegs for the net and you're golden.

it's just thin MDF and carpet.
if you mess up, no one will be able to tell because the carpet can hide holes.

what i find is that people are scared...
scared of getting their hands dirty?
Scared of actually doing the work? (could this be a facet of laziness?)
scared of punching holes in a $60k truck?

get over your fears and just do it!!
your groceries will love you as they wont be rolling around as much any more...

my bravado goes out the window, as i realized there's no real trunk. and perhaps, it's not thin MDF and carpet.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-12-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
What we do, and we have a cargo net, is mostly open up that underfloor bin and use that instead of a net. We always keep the car relatively empty, so that works for us when we go food shopping.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:48 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
What we do, and we have a cargo net, is mostly open up that underfloor bin and use that instead of a net. We always keep the car relatively empty, so that works for us when we go food shopping.
That’s what I’ve been doing too. Just miss my cargo Net I’ve used in all my previous cars.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
why not?
if you think about what the trunk is made of - a combination of MDF and carpet, you wont hurt it.
measure and find the best mounting points for the net, then screw in the pegs for the net and you're golden.

it's just thin MDF and carpet.
if you mess up, no one will be able to tell because the carpet can hide holes.

what i find is that people are scared...
scared of getting their hands dirty?
Scared of actually doing the work? (could this be a facet of laziness?)
scared of punching holes in a $60k truck?

get over your fears and just do it!!
your groceries will love you as they wont be rolling around as much any more...

my bravado goes out the window, as i realized there's no real trunk. and perhaps, it's not thin MDF and carpet.
Well, you’re about about that. There’s no carpet. It’s all plastic panels. The holes would be visible. And I’m questioning whether those anchors would actually hold with those flimsy screws.

Was hoping to find people who’s actually done it.
Or found a good cargo organizer for that specific car.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
No fear whatsoever about getting my hands dirty, as may be discovered in the DIY threads.

But having removed some of the plastic interior panels of the rear storage area, for DIY trailer wiring install, I know that I have no desire to do that again.

Irrespective of the cost of the plastic panels, it's a PITA.

If it were an enclosed trunk, yeah, knock yourself out! You could stash an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend in there, and who would know?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer to use collapsible crates that I store either flat or under the floor when not in use. They can be easily moved between cars. Also, I can carry the crates into the house to unload the contents.
The following users liked this post:
Marino Moutafis (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I am used to having a net to prevent my stuff from rolling around. I typically use the underfloor storage but not everything can fit in there. What do you guys use to prevent the cargo from rolling?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
I am used to having a net to prevent my stuff from rolling around. I typically use the underfloor storage but not everything can fit in there. What do you guys use to prevent the cargo from rolling?
I use the optional Acura net, but it is both tight and the clips are plastic and hard to use. So I bought 4 S-type carabiners and attached one to each clip. This makes the net cords longer, and makes it easier to clip on and off the hooks. You really don’t need the Acura ones, and could probably get something better and cheaper on ebay or Amazon.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I would also prefer a vertical storage net option. I have a floor mounted net in my Mercedes that is pretty useless.