Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Adaptive Front Lighting (AFS)?

Does any trim level have this as discussed in the owners manual pg. 189? (Canada or US)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
as far as i know of, USA models dont have this feature. If i am not mistaken, RLX has it.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
The owner's manual is a combined US/Canada version. If there's something in the manual (folding mirrors, headlight washers) that's not in the Advance package it's a good bet it's Canada only.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Yeah, I think our northern neighbors get dibs on this one. Kind of a bummer, cuz white tail deer are as thick as mosquitoes in my area and the roads curve.

But I don't know if the "adaptive" lights throw any more light to the periphery than the high-beam setting. I don't think the housings swivel, just more of the "jewel-eye" LED segments get recruited on the side the vehicle is turning toward. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Wander; 07-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Racer

I was on the Canadian Acura website, and it didn’t indicate which package it is included, so I was confused if it was even an option.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
The manual footnotes stating not available on all models is very lazy in my opinion by the authors. Sometimes a feature is spelled out between US and Canada and sometimes it is not and it is never spelled out by trim level within a country. This should be spelled out more specifically by country and trim level so the new owner understands what they have and don't have. Even better, the detailed PDF manual and the printed summary guide in the glove should be customized for the trim level and country it pertains to and not even have the comment not available on all models.

I have a US Advance trim level and have not seen any evidence of adaptive headlights on a rural road at night with some curves.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with you about the manual. However, you can always get specs for all trim levels from official website. It is called Fact Sheet.

There is no AFS mentioned in the Fact Sheet which means it is not applicable in U.S.

Originally Posted by gtssenior
The manual footnotes stating not available on all models is very lazy in my opinion by the authors. Sometimes a feature is spelled out between US and Canada and sometimes it is not and it is never spelled out by trim level within a country. This should be spelled out more specifically by country and trim level so the new owner understands what they have and don't have. Even better, the detailed PDF manual and the printed summary guide in the glove should be customized for the trim level and country it pertains to and not even have the comment not available on all models.

I have a US Advance trim level and have not seen any evidence of adaptive headlights on a rural road at night with some curves.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:15 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I have this features on my other cars and I have not noticed this on the US Advance version. It is obvious if it is working when in dark areas. It is not included for the US models.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Master47
I was on the Canadian Acura website, and it didn’t indicate which package it is included, so I was confused if it was even an option.
Only the top-tier Platinum Elite trim gets the adaptive headlights, per this specs page.

Link
Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HillbillyInBC
Only the top-tier Platinum Elite trim gets the adaptive headlights, per this specs page.

Link
Thanks, user error on my part. I didn’t realize there was an additional trim above Elite which I equated to the US “Advance” trim so didn’t scroll far enough right.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
LED Lighting
The 2019 RDX incorporates a wide range of available light-emitting diode (LED) exterior lighting features, including LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), LED Jewel Eye® headlights with seven light elements (previously five), LED side marker lights and LED taillights (except turn signals). LED side mirror-mounted turn signals are standard on all models, and LED fog lights are offered on the A-Spec and Advance Package. The new RDX A-Spec features piano black accents on headlights and taillights that give it a more aggressive appearance.LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
The RDX has bright, distinctive LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), which feature a wing shape positioned below and outside the LED headlights. Shaped to compliment the athletic stance of the new RDX, the LED DRL array flows gracefully outward from near the grille surround on both sides of the vehicle, then breaks radically up and back to mirror the beginning of the wheel arches. Eighteen inches long and artfully complimenting the body lines, the DRLs strongly define the front corners of the RDX. Helping to minimize componentry and unify the RDX's design, the DRLs double as the turn signals.
LED Jewel Eye® Headlights with Auto On/Off
The 2019 RDX's LED Jewel Eye® headlights provide improved nighttime illumination and visibility compared to contemporary high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights. Comprised of four LEdDs per side, the low beams reach approximately 460 feet compared to approximately 360 feet for traditional halogen low beams, and the beam width is approximately 100 feet compared to approximately 65 feet for halogen low beams. The high beams use three additional LED lamps per side.Besides improving driver confidence and active safety, the LED headlights use less energy, helping to enhance fuel efficiency by reducing engine loads. In addition, the LED headlights last up to three times longer than HID headlights and up to six times longer than halogen headlights – contributing to less frequent replacement and the associated cost savings. An auto on/off function is included, and the low-beams are also keyed to the remote key fob operation.Auto High Beams
The new 2019 RDX standard auto high beam system uses a camera located on the windshield to continually scan for oncoming traffic. The system illuminates the high beams except when oncoming or proceeding traffic is detected and then automatically switches to the LED low-beams. Requiring no intervention or action from the driver, the auto high beam feature significantly improves nighttime illumination for enhanced active safety.There are numerous advantages to the auto high beam system, including earlier driver detection of objects in the roadway during nighttime driving, which can lead to a reduction in stopping distances for a higher level of driver confidence.The system functions when the headlight switch is in the Auto position and may be disabled and reactivated by a quick pull on the high-beam stalk. A green headlight icon with an "A" appears on the instrument panel when the system is functioning. The auto high beam feature automatically disengages during rainy conditions, when low beam lighting is preferable. Four consecutive wipes of the windshield wiper deactivate the system. Auto high beam then automatically reactivates when the rain ceases.LED Fog Lights
The RDX A-Spec and Advance Package are equipped with LED fog lights to enhance visibility in inclement weather. The fog lights use three LED elements per side for optimal lighting, while a special mesh feature – inspired by the Acura NSX – surrounds the fog lights from above. Just as the LED headlights are framed from above by a sweeping bright trim, the fog lights are framed from below and sides by a dynamic bright trim form.LED Taillights
All 2019 RDX grades feature large LED taillights (except turn signals) with a signature "dragon tail" flourish, enhancing the vehicle's sporty new appearance. Utilizing a dynamic C-shape, the taillights are highly distinctive and extend from the outer corners of the rear fenders to the tailgate.Lighting TechnologiesLighting Technologies Comparison2018 RDX
2019 RDX
Jewel Eye® LED headlights, Auto On/Off
Standard
Standard
Auto High Beams
NA
Standard
LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Standard
Standard
LED fog lights
Halogen fog lights
on Advance Package
A-Spec and Advance Package
LED front turn signals
Standard
Standard
LED side mirror-mounted turn signals
Standard
Standard
LED puddle lights on side mirrors
NA
Standard
LED taillights and brake lights
Standard
Standard
LED center high-mount stop light (CHMSL)
Standard
Standard

Source: 2019 Acura RDX Press Kit - Acura News