19 RDX Configurator is officially alive!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
19 RDX Configurator is officially alive!

https://www.acura.com/build-price/rdx

some nice exterior and interior color options.
The following users liked this post:
A4toTL (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts
I hate to say it, but I am not a fan so far. The configurations seems so limiting. Why can't we have an Advanced A-spec? Why can't I just have black accents instead of chrome on the advanced? Why can't I choose the top gray color and ebony enterrior? Everything feels so limited in the configurator, to me.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I think many of us would agree. Would have been nice to make ASpec an add on package vs a separate model. I have several pluses and minuses for both the ASpec and the Advanced. Going to have to decide what I really must have vs what I want. Pretty sure either an ASpec or Advanced will be in the garage before next summer.
JoelEDC (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, and color combos disappointing. Can't get red or blue Advance with black interior.
Hopefully that is just a first year limiting. 20" wheels (not even as nice as A-spec) are $3,320 option - wow!
Hopefully MY2020 - when I plan to buy - will bring some better choices
Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the best course of action is to wait another year when hopefully more options and configurations are available. I like to see another engine option, a more economical one. The advance to me is the way to go for the "refineness" of the RDX
Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Notte
I think the best course of action is to wait another year when hopefully more options and configurations are available. I like to see another engine option, a more economical one. The advance to me is the way to go for the "refineness" of the RDX
That might happen, but I think it’s unlikely. Acura is keeping its costs down by limiting configurations. They might get the message about the A-Spec’s limited features, but I wouldn’t count on wholesale changes. It’s just one of the ways Acura is able to drastically undercut the European brands and still turn a profit.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
A4toTL (06-01-2018), TacoBello (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Configurations are limited, but I'm not one to die on a hill just because I couldn't get a certain interior/exterior combination. I'd have loved to see the espresso interior on more of the exterior options, but whatever... the black is just as nice. I'd get any interior color besides the beige, because I don't trust myself with a beige interior

I priced out the most expensive RDX I could, with all the options I'd want, and it came in just a hair over $53,000. That's about $3000-4000 less than I was anticipating (this included options, etc). Pleasantly surprised
Old 06-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Notte
The only other engine available is the 1.5T, and if you're looking at the Advance trim, I'm not sure how many people would pay 50 large for a car with a 1.5T in it.

Honda/Acura has always been a company of few engines, but many cars.

I guess the other option would be for them to detune the 2.0T, but I would guess the current fuel economy is on par with the rest of the market. I'm not really one to ever look at fuel economy ratings, unless I know its a car that seriously chugs fuel... Like the STi, where I have friends who regularly drain 17 gallons of premium fuel in as little as 185 miles
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Configurations are limited, but I'm not one to die on a hill just because I couldn't get a certain interior/exterior combination. I'd have loved to see the espresso interior on more of the exterior options, but whatever... the black is just as nice. I'd get any interior color besides the beige, because I don't trust myself with a beige interior

I priced out the most expensive RDX I could, with all the options I'd want, and it came in just a hair over $53,000. That's about $3000-4000 less than I was anticipating (this included options, etc). Pleasantly surprised
How'd you get to $53k, is that with Accessories?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced

And unless I missed it, I can't find the rear bumper trim that was shown in the accessories catalog. Is it just not on the website yet?

I think the front trim looks really sharp for $329. Do you guys think this would fit the A-Spec trim too?

But I don't see the rear trim anywhere!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
You'd think they could throw in the $225 floor mats with at least the Advance package.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrJames
You'd think they could throw in the $225 floor mats with at least the Advance package.
Considering they're still using halogen bulbs on a 2019 model I'm pretty sure Acura would tell you to go pound sand.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
You can almost always get your dealership to throw in floor mats. It's typically my final demand before we shake hands. Of course, I always replace the factory mats with Weathertechs eventually, but they won't be available for the RDX right away.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally I was going to go with a Black exterior, but I'm (okay, i'll be real, the wife wants to switch to red) really liking the look of this. Added the blacked out badging and the rims and I like it (I know, the rims are pricey, but I might just say fuck it and get them from Acura since I'm new to the car world and don't really know much about aftermarket rims shopping). Still don't understand why the advanced rims are so ugly. Overall, it's still not as nice as the A-spec, but not bad looking either! Would definitely want to black out the chrome trims at a later date too. This is getting exciting. Can't wait for it to launch in Canada!
Old 06-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jcardona1
How'd you get to $53k, is that with Accessories?
yes, it was with accessories. There are many accessories that wouldn't really serve me much purpose, like the various roof racks and such... But, there were other things that I definitely selected... Normally when I price out any car, the accessory list ends up destroying the price of a car, but on the RDX they didn't amount up to a huge cost, which was nice.
And unless I missed it, I can't find the rear bumper trim that was shown in the accessories catalog. Is it just not on the website yet?

I think the front trim looks really sharp for $329. Do you guys think this would fit the A-Spec trim too?

But I don't see the rear trim anywhere!

It's a single package I believe. You can't get just the front or just the rear. You have to get both. I did select that option myself.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
The only other engine available is the 1.5T, and if you're looking at the Advance trim, I'm not sure how many people would pay 50 large for a car with a 1.5T in it.

Honda/Acura has always been a company of few engines, but many cars.

I guess the other option would be for them to detune the 2.0T, but I would guess the current fuel economy is on par with the rest of the market. I'm not really one to ever look at fuel economy ratings, unless I know its a car that seriously chugs fuel... Like the STi, where I have friends who regularly drain 17 gallons of premium fuel in as little as 185 miles
A V6 turbo and Type S model are coming.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So do I go with the Aspec Blue/Red interior that I've had my eyes on since the first reveal of the 19 RDX, or do I suck up the extra (excessive?) chrome of the Advance, swap out the rims ($2k-3k, yay!) and enjoy all the convenience features I wish they'd let you add to the Aspec (Surround view camera, HUD, active dampers)? I guess I have about 6 months to think about that. I'm going to have to go see how I feel about all that extra chrome in person. I still can't believe the final wheels they picked for the Advance model. Feels like a ploy to sell accessory wheels, frankly.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
I hate to say it, but I am not a fan so far. The configurations seems so limiting. Why can't we have an Advanced A-spec? Why can't I just have black accents instead of chrome on the advanced? Why can't I choose the top gray color and ebony enterrior? Everything feels so limited in the configurator, to me.
Acura packaging is certainly not perfect and it's a shame when you can't get everything you want. But the reason they can give you features for thousands less than many of the competition is because they use that approach. Although it's hard to suck and blow at the same time, I'm suspect they will tweak after a year of sales.
Curious3GTL (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Acura packaging is certainly not perfect and it's a shame when you can't get everything you want. But the reason they can give you features for thousands less than many of the competition is because they use that approach. Although it's hard to suck and blow at the same time, I'm suspect they will tweak after a year of sales.
This is true. You can pretty much get any possible configuration on a BMW that you could want. You just have to pay a lot for it. I'm not happy with the choices I'm going to have to make with respect to the RDX. By comparison, though, I took a look at the configuration tool for the new QX50 out of curiosity. Setting aside the fact that you'd have to pay north of $60k to match the features of the RDX Advance, you can't even swap out their pedestrian wheels with their nicer ones without paying for a $7500 package upgrade!!! So yeah, it's not great the way Acura set this up and I have frustrations with this, but it could be a lot worse.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Just built a black/parchment combo for $55,194. That includes the 20's which I probably won't be getting. They don't look $3,200 nice.

I built a more reasonable silver/espresso with the black rims and fewer accessories for $51,142. Should be able to haggle that down a bit around January.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
A V6 turbo and Type S model are coming.
Any updates on a time frame?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 PM
Advanced

I think I answered my own question. Front/Rear bumper trims are NOT available withe the A-Spec. Advance only has front bumper trim option. Base/Tech has the option to add both front and rear bumper trims. Also no hands-free tailgate option on A-Spec. These first world problem are infuriating me this morning.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Canadian configurator is up and I thought I would try to do a crosswalk between the U.S. and Canadian specs as to the main differences. It's not a perfect comparison because there is the Elite and Platinum Elite versions. It's also a challenge because the information is organized differently between the two sites. Anyhow:

The Canadian version offers a wiper de-icer that I don't see in the U.S. version. Not a surprise
Both versions offer a heated steering wheel for the Advance/Elite models, but the Canadian ASpec also gets a HSW. Not a surprise either, given our average climates.
Canadian version offers Rain Sensing Wipers in the Tech and up versions, Advance only in the U.S. Your arid climate in many states, perhaps.
Canadian Platinum Elite provides 2nd row temperature control, no mention that I can see in the U.S. - An emerging climate theme
Traffic Sign Recognition in the Canadian Tech and up versions. Not mentioned in the U.S. version.
Adaptive Front Headlights on the Platinum Elite, no mention in U.S. specs
Rear Camera washer on the Canadian Platinum Elite.
Walk Away Door Locks on all Canadian trims.
Sorry to do this....Power Folding Mirrors in the Canadian Tech and up versions only.

Now, the good news for our American cousins:

Milano leather seating with contrast stitching available on the Tech, in Canada, on the Elite. Both get that plus contrast piping on their top versions. (I'm disappointed that our Tech version is Leatherette, as my Tech TLX is perforated Milano leather).
Climate control on all Canadian and U.S. versions, but the U.S. site mentions G.P.S. linked Climate Control on the Tech and up trims.
Parking Sensors for the U.S. Tech and up trims, no mention on Canadian site.
Acoustic Front Side Glass for the U.S. Advance Package, no reference on Canadian site.
You can buy a FWD version in the U.S., not so in Canada (like the 3.5 TLX)

I'm sure I have missed a few things, and some of the differences may not be differences, and simply not included in the online specs - this is day 1 after all.

Have I mentioned that the Canadian trims are decidedly more expensive. Including destination, the top level Canadian Trim, with more content is $57,655, $52,655 for the Elite, $52,955 for the ASpec, $49,155 for the Tech, and $46,655 for the Base SH-AWD. If you average out the Canadian Elite and Platinum Elite trims, the Canadian comparable trim levels range from $5660 to $6820 more, or about 14 - 15% more. Perhaps the recent announcements of U.S. tariffs on Canadian aluminum and steel (and countervailing measures), although not yet implemented, may have affected prices. The Canadian 2018 Elite is selling for $46, 555 (Before $3K in incentives), equivalent to the 2019 base SH-AWD.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 06-01-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
I'm in the same boat. God awful wood accents on the interior for the Advance trim with no brushed aluminum option like in Tech or A-Spec. Ugly wheels on the Advance trim. Can't get hands free liftgate on A-Spec or Adaptive Damper System or Heads up Display. No 16 way seats, which is odd for a sporty A-Spec trim as the side bolsters I believe are adjustable in Advance.
I was going to say no Heated steering wheel on the A-Spec, however, when you go into the RDX Accessories option, it shows Heated Steering Wheel for $500. So I presume the dealer can install a heated steering wheel?

Last edited by reddogTL; 06-01-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'm in the same boat. God awful wood accents on the interior for the Advance trim with no brushed aluminum option like in Tech or A-Spec. And ugly wheels on the Advance trim.
I get that you don't like wood trim, which is of course a subjective thing, but to suggest it's awful implies that it's a bad version of real wood trim, which almost every single reviewer would disagree with.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Advanced

I get that you don't like wood trim, which is of course a subjective thing, but to suggest it's awful implies that it's a bad version of real wood trim, which almost every single reviewer would disagree with.
Wood in automobiles today is absolutely awful (purely subjective). I don't get the fascination with it being considered a luxury or premium styling cue. It looks so out of place in modern vehicles.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jajji
Any updates on a time frame?
Don't know other than probably in the next two years or so. Acura has already publicly confirmed they are making a V6 turbo engine, this new platform for the RDX can handle a V6 engine and they are bringing back Type S models.

They will also offer a hybrid RDX model in the future as well.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Volvo Defector

I'm not suggesting its a bad version of real wood trim, I'm saying it looks awful in this interior. But as you said, looks are subjective and it just isn't my thing. I don't believe wood belongs in a vehicle just like corn byproducts do not belong in fuel. Unless of course it's a Delorean
Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Volvo Defector

Wood in automobiles today is absolutely awful (purely subjective). I don't get the fascination with it being considered a luxury or premium styling cue. It looks so out of place in modern vehicles.
I concur!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I saw someone said the RDX has puddle lights? Is this true? Is it an accessory? I really like puddle lights that come out of the rearview mirror when the doors are unlocked..is that included?
It's something I would look to add if it doesn't come standard (Aspec model)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
What is this.....no red exterior with parchment in Canada? Looking on my phone but all I see is ebony interior as an option. Wtf acura? Why would you be able to do that in the USA but not Canada? Maybe a mistake. .anyone on a computer that can check the Canadian site?
Old 06-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYGUY31
I saw someone said the RDX has puddle lights? Is this true? Is it an accessory? I really like puddle lights that come out of the rearview mirror when the doors are unlocked..is that included?
Puddle lights on Advance model (US)
FLYGUY31 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by burn1010
Puddle lights on Advance model (US)
Damn...another exclusion on the Aspec. That sucks. But not a deal breaker if I decide to move to the RDX.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SK1124
What is this.....no red exterior with parchment in Canada? Looking on my phone but all I see is ebony interior as an option. Wtf acura? Why would you be able to do that in the USA but not Canada? Maybe a mistake. .anyone on a computer that can check the Canadian site?
Here in the US it's the way around. Red with Parchment only. Can only get Red & black interior if you get A-Spec. This has to be the most botched car launch in automotive history.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Volvo Defector

Here in the US it's the way around. Red with Parchment only. Can only get Red & black interior if you get A-Spec. This has to be the most botched car launch in automotive history.
Can you guys in Canada get the Advance(Elite?) model with A-Spec?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nope.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the launch at Whistler with all the key automotive journalists able to compare the new RDX against some excellent European rivals and then write great reviews, is the most botched vehicle launch in history....because there are some colour combinations not available...hmmm
Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, and we can have any combination of inside and outside colors!

Seriously: No. :-)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

They are an Accessory. Look on the configurator and go down to the Accessories section...they show a small pic and nomenclature and price.

They call them "Welcome Lights." $250 plus install....MSRP price of course. You can always get 25% off when negotiating buying....as I get.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Instructor

There are LED puddle lights on the side mirrors that are standard on all models.

Quick Reply: 19 RDX Configurator is officially alive!