10 Speed Transmission=Turn off.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I have a late 15 build TLX V6 AWD and the ZF9 is junk. I have never seen a tranny have so many inconsistent irregular shifts. I am outside any VIN ranges that they would replace it and have the ECU updates. It has me weary enough that I am hesitating on getting a 19 ASPEC AWD because I am not sure I want to deal with this ZF9 any more.
Huh? 2019 RDX does not have the ZF9 in any trim, it has a Honda designed and built 10-speed transmission. And in my persnickety "canary in the coal mine" opinion, it's fine. Are you thinking about 2019 MDX, which probably does still use the ZF9 ( AFAIK )? Or 2019 TLX?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude

With this logic you will have to wait 3 years to know for sure there are no long term issues, and by that time acura will make 12speed or something. I was the one who got first generation of 5sp, and my 2001CL broke down after warranty, they took care of me. When there is a known issue, Honda usually extends warranty and is being very flexible in covering it after warranty.
honda accord had it for 1 year, has anyone complained? One year is good enough for me
electronics issues can usually be fixed with firmware updates

Not really. Acura/Honda isn’t going to be switching out the 10 speed for a 12 speed anytime soon. Also I said to wait another year or two, it would be 3 years since the transmission was first put into service but not 3 years for the RDX to be out. Something else you guys need to remember is that the other applications of this transmission are in fwd cars. This one obviously comes with AWD too and that changes things up as well.

At the end of the day, whoever wants to take the risk or feels satisfied that these systems have been tested enough then please feel free to work out the kinks for everyone else. And there will be kinks. There always is. Firmware updates don’t always fix electronic issues. One year is good enough for you, and that’s awesome, but I would prefer to wait longer personally. Nothing really “wrong” with either choice here. Perhaps the irony is that both my RDX and MDX were first year models (but I bought them after they were both out for a while).
Old 06-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
These types of conversations make me long for the days when manual transmissions were more widely available.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:36 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Huh? 2019 RDX does not have the ZF9 in any trim, it has a Honda designed and built 10-speed transmission. And in my persnickety "canary in the coal mine" opinion, it's fine. Are you thinking about 2019 MDX, which probably does still use the ZF9 ( AFAIK )? Or 2019 TLX?
I think he's talking about a 2019 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD. It's too bad Acura didn't put the 10AT into the MMC TLX.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
These types of conversations make me long for the days when manual transmissions were more widely available.
MTs were more widely available when they were actually better than ATs. And when men were men.

Neither of which are necessarily true today, although I was the only man in my family who drove MTs. The other MT drivers, my wife and daughter, were (and remain, today) women.
The following users liked this post:
robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
sorry I meant I was thinking of getting a 19 TLX ASPEC, I confused everyone. Wife is looking at a 19 RDX Advance AWD as soon as they get a silver on espresso.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

MTs were more widely available when they were actually better than ATs. And when men were men.

Neither of which are necessarily true today, although I was the only man in my family who drove MTs. The other MT drivers, my wife and daughter, were (and remain, today) women.
Better is of course a relative term; yes, in the lab or on a dyno modern automatic transmissions may be faster and/or deliver better fuel economy (by a small margin in each case), but as far as driving experience, they are by far inferior. Then there is the whole reliability discussion...
Old 06-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Better is of course a relative term; yes, in the lab or on a dyno modern automatic transmissions may be faster and/or deliver better fuel economy (by a small margin in each case), but as far as driving experience, they are by far inferior. Then there is the whole reliability discussion...

“Better” in my use was more fuel efficient and better able to control the car.

I had a 5 speed when ATs were 3 speed and free wheeled down slopes.

Todays ATs will drop gears on demand, shift faster, and are usually more efficient. You don’t get the fun of a well-timed downshift, for sure, but old time MTs were clearly better at everything, and now, technically, they are better at nothing; viscerally, in some conditions, they remain desirable.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
...viscerally, in some conditions, they remain desirable.
Rush hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic would not be one of those conditions.
robuckj (06-17-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts

“Better” in my use was more fuel efficient and better able to control the car.

I had a 5 speed when ATs were 3 speed and free wheeled down slopes.

Todays ATs will drop gears on demand, shift faster, and are usually more efficient. You don’t get the fun of a well-timed downshift, for sure, but old time MTs were clearly better at everything, and now, technically, they are better at nothing; viscerally, in some conditions, they remain desirable.
to be fair, if I wanted a well timed Downshift, i would be over at the mustang or Camaro forums, not in a thread about suburban assault vehicles driven by soccer moms.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Dunno. In my rowdy youth, I demonstrated that I was perfectly capable of destroying the clutch in a 5-speed MT with overly exuberant acceleration trials.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Latent car nut

Dunno. In my rowdy youth, I demonstrated that I was perfectly capable of destroying the clutch in a 5-speed MT with overly exuberant acceleration trials.
And the cost of a clutch is what? Something like $400 plus labor; call it $1,200 max. Now, what do you suppose the cost of an 8, 9, or 10 speed transmission rebuild? Maybe $5,000 or more?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Oh, one more thing, MTs were measurably less expensive, but today, in those few cars you can get with them, they now cost as much as an AT.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Latent car nut

Oh, one more thing, MTs were measurably less expensive, but today, in those few cars you can get with them, they now cost as much as an AT.
Personally I think new cars with manual transmissions should be more expensive. Why? I have a number of funny(ish) reasons why, including, but not limited to the following:
  • The "keep up with the Joneses" crowd won't be able to say, "Yup, she's got all the options" when crowing about their new car.
  • Given the lower number of manual transmission equipped cars being sold these days, the cost of development must be spread across a smaller population of cars; increasing the cost a bit to the point where offering cars so equipped in the future will continue to be profitable.
  • Lots of folks, me included, would much prefer covering the cost of a clutch replacement every quarter of a million miles, then paying for a very expensive transmission rebuild every ~150,000 miles.
frankjnjr (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Pro

Personally I think new cars with manual transmissions should be more expensive. Why? I have a number of funny(ish) reasons why, including, but not limited to the following:
  • The "keep up with the Joneses" crowd won't be able to say, "Yup, she's got all the options" when crowing about their new car.
  • Given the lower number of manual transmission equipped cars being sold these days, the cost of development must be spread across a smaller population of cars; increasing the cost a bit to the point where offering cars so equipped in the future will continue to be profitable.
  • Lots of folks, me included, would much prefer covering the cost of a clutch replacement every quarter of a million miles, then paying for a very expensive transmission rebuild every ~150,000 miles.
ive got one reason that manual transmissions will be extinct in 5 years - self driving cars.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

ive got one reason that manual transmissions will be extinct in 5 years - self driving cars.
Maybe not sold in a new car, but far from extinct; many fans of manual transmissions are stocking up with cars to last the rest of their lives. I'm doing that, and so too is my 24 year old son.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I had a '15 TLX with that dreaded 9 speed. I hated it enough to get rid of the car! The 10 speed doesn't seem to have the issues the 9 speed did.. that damn lag when you are at low speed waiting for it to down shift so you can pick up speed..
Old 06-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
One more thing I don't think many have considered.

The cost of servicing the new 10-speed and how often? I know my friend spent $350.00 twice for 2015 TLX ZF trans fluid changes at the dealer. To no avail those fluid changes bought him just 119k miles before the ZF 9 speed went tits up. Even if your a DIY the ZF fluid is ~$50/quart. In fact, those fluid changes required a mysterious pre-heating of the new trans fluid before pumping it into the ZF.

If your leasing or plan to escape before the power-train expires good for you. If you plan on keeping the vehicle-the 120k Acura Care isn't an option-it's a must have.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo_Green
One more thing I don't
think many have considered.

The cost of servicing the new 10-speed and how often? I know my friend spent $350.00 twice for 2015 TLX ZF trans fluid changes at the dealer. To no avail those fluid changes bought him just 119k miles before the ZF 9 speed went tits up. Even if your a DIY the ZF fluid is ~$50/quart. In fact, those fluid changes required a mysterious pre-heating of the new trans fluid before pumping it into the ZF.

If your leasing or plan to escape before the power-train expires good for you. If you plan on keeping the vehicle-the 120k Acura Care isn't an option-it's a must have.
You keep ranting about problems your friend keeps having on a vehicle that he was hard on (drove 30k miles a year, twice the yearly avg the vehicle was engineered for) and didn’t maintain properly -The trans flush is supposed to be done every 25-35k miles, so if he only did it twice then he certainly skipped maintenance. The ZF transmission had known issues even before the TLX was released - I think it was a poor decision by Honda to use it, but it was developed and built by *ZF*, not Honda. So why is this 10 speed transmission a “turn off” to you? Because Honda had issues with a transmission they developed 20 years ago? Has Honda had widespread transmission issues in all of their vehicles since? No. Have you driven a vehicle with the new 10-speed transmission? I have, and I was quite impressed with it.

There are inherent risks when buying an early production 1st year model. Not everyone has reliability as their absolute #1 priority, some want the latest and greatest. That’s the trade off. You should try buying a 1st year BMW, driving 30k+ miles a year, not maintaining it properly and see what happens to it in 4 years. Lol

And btw trans flushes should not cost $350, even at a dealer 😂

Last edited by joshuaren; 06-16-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Pro

Thenfiest scheduled “tuneup” is 100,000 Miles. For
me that’s like 4 years (sales) but for most that’s a decade.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Honda believes in the 10 speed - it's a $4,350 option over the CVT on the Accord Sport.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 19RDX
Honda believes in the 10 speed - it's a $4,350 option over the CVT on the Accord Sport.
Nope. There is a $4,530 up charge to go from a 1.5L Turbo I4 with 6-speed manual or CVT to a 2.0L Turbo I4 with 6-speed manual or 10-speed automatic. With the 6-speed manual being the common components among the four possible configurations, one can argue that $4,530 is for the difference in engine only.

Last edited by Accord07; 06-16-2018 at 10:48 PM.
19RDX (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
Nope. There is a $4,530 up charge to go from a 1.5L Turbo I4 with 6-speed manual or CVT to a 2.0L Turbo I4 with 6-speed manual or 10-speed automatic. With the 6-speed manual being the common components among the four possible configurations, one can argue that $4,530 is for the difference in engine only.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
I stand corrected.
Another thing to add is on the 1.5 sport it adds features to the LX. On the 2.0 Sport it adds features to the EX. It's not really fair to compare to the 1.5 sport to the 2.0, because the 2.0 has more features than just an engine difference. The way to get a fair comparison is to compare the EX-L to the EX-L, which is a $2,000 difference that includes the transmission and engine.
Madd Dog (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by joshuaren
You keep ranting about problems your friend keeps having on a vehicle that he was hard on (drove 30k miles a year, twice the yearly avg the vehicle was engineered for) ...
Twice the mileage it was engineered for? No such thing. As a general rule, cars do better logging heavy highway miles where the fluids are consistently brought up to operating temperature. Unless he was using his car for a delivery vehicle or abusing it in some way, he was anything but hard on it. Assuming he performed the required maintenance, of course.
RDX10 (07-26-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Twice the mileage it was engineered for? No such thing. As a general rule, cars do better logging heavy highway miles where the fluids are consistently brought up to operating temperature. Unless he was using his car for a delivery vehicle or abusing it in some way, he was anything but hard on it. Assuming he performed the required maintenance, of course.
Agreed; cars driven lots of miles per year can easily accrue two to three times the number of miles over their lifetime versus the normal 15,000 mile per year driver. There really is no such a thing as "twice the mileage" any given car was engineered for.
HotRodW (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Another thing to add is on the 1.5 sport it adds features to the LX. On the 2.0 Sport it adds features to the EX. It's not really fair to compare to the 1.5 sport to the 2.0, because the 2.0 has more features than just an engine difference. The way to get a fair comparison is to compare the EX-L to the EX-L, which is a $2,000 difference that includes the transmission and engine.
Yes, you are right. Considering the extensive features that EX trim has over the base LX trim, the engine change is responsible for just a fraction of the price increase.
Curious3GTL (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Pro

Agreed; cars driven lots of miles per year can easily accrue two to three times the number of miles over their lifetime versus the normal 15,000 mile per year driver. There really is no such a thing as "twice the mileage" any given car was engineered for.
im in sales. In 8 years I put 205000 miles on my tsx. Still runs like a champ. Has never left me sitting. Haven’t done anything to it other than oil changes and fluids, filters, tires etc. So no major service like valve cleaning, trans flushing, plugs, etc. whatever it was engineered for, i hope they did the same with the rdx
Old 06-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Use quality gas, use quality fluids and change them timely, replace with quality parts, remember that cars don’t heal themselves and fix problems timely. The car will be drivable long after you tire of driving it.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
And by "quality parts", Madd Dog is referring to OEM parts. As far as Honda/Acura parts are concerned, they're built to last, more than anything.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Um, absolutely, vehicles and their parts are engineered to be used a certain number of miles within a certain time period. And absolutely driving 30k miles a year (and possibly 40k a year, depending on when he bought it) certainly puts more stress on a vehicle than 15k miles a year. But that wasn’t really the focus of my argument. My point is this guy is knocking Honda’s new 10-speed because of Honda’s issues with a 5-speed developed 20 years ago and a friend’s TLX with a ZF designed & built 9-speed transmission went bad, when it sounds like his friend didn’t even maintain it properly.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Latent car nut

Um, absolutely, vehicles and their parts are engineered to be used a certain number of miles within a certain time period. And absolutely driving 30k miles a year (and possibly 40k a year, depending on when he bought it) certainly puts more stress on a vehicle than 15k miles a year. But that wasn’t really the focus of my argument. My point is this guy is knocking Honda’s new 10-speed because of Honda’s issues with a 5-speed developed 20 years ago and a friend’s TLX with a ZF designed & built 9-speed transmission went bad, when it sounds like his friend didn’t even maintain it properly.
Not sure what you're trying to get at, a one year old car with say, 40,000 miles on it will be in F-A-R better condition than the same car with say, 40,000 miles spread out over four years.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Wrong again my friend. Properly maintained at 40k intervals at the dealer. Cost=$350/fluid change. Research the your facts; quite simple-Google is your friend. The ZF was a bust for Acura and for many other brands. I'll watch the Jones down the street pay to test drive the 10 speed, while a have a beer and watch with popcorn.

Last edited by Mo_Green; 06-17-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TacoBello
And by "quality parts", Madd Dog is referring to OEM parts. As far as Honda/Acura parts are concerned, they're built to last, more than anything.
I put BMW parts in my BMW, and Honda parts in my Hondas. There are equivalents made by the OEM that are not branded Honda, such as spark plugs, etc., But I will insist on Honda (and BMW) fluids for everything except oil (which has equivalents readily available), and windshield washer fluid. No coolant, brake or power steering fluid, or anything like that goes in my car if it is not Honda (or BMW) branded. Often, it costs more, but always, the extra cost pales compared to the cost of a failed part. When I pick filters, I always go for high quality, like Mann for the BMW, or a good cabin filter and a Honda engine filter.

Maintenance with quality (mostly OE parts for actual parts) replacements just saves all sorts of problems down the line.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Fair point.
Fluid for the ZF9HP is crazy expensive. Honda sells this as ATF Type 3.1 and Bernardi lists it at $37.84 per quart. Also, the procedure to check and adjust fluid level is rather complex and not at all DIY friendly. This is because the special ATF has a high coefficient of thermal expansion.
Fluid for Honda's 10-speed ( Honda ATF Type 2.0 ) is more "normal price" for ATF, $9.00 per quart at Bernardi. Good old ATF DW-1 is $6.41 per quart.
Dunno about procedure for ATF changes on the 10-speed, but to quote the Owner's Manual: "Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-...RANSFLUID.aspx
Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Fair point.
Fluid for the ZF9HP is crazy expensive. Honda sells this as ATF Type 3.1 and Bernardi lists it at $37.84 per quart. Also, the procedure to check and adjust fluid level is rather complex and not at all DIY friendly. This is because the special ATF has a high coefficient of thermal expansion.
Fluid for Honda's 10-speed ( Honda ATF Type 2.0 ) is more "normal price" for ATF, $9.00 per quart at Bernardi. Good old ATF DW-1 is $6.41 per quart.
Dunno about procedure for ATF changes on the 10-speed, but to quote the Owner's Manual: "Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

I don’t want to tell you what it cost to replace the tranny fluid in my BMW, which was originally touted as ‘lifetime’, but isn’t. However, the Honda 10 speed is a Honda transmission, and I cannot believe they will sell that to Honda owners and require an outrageous price to change the fluid. That will kill Honda 10 speeds.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Is 10sp a sealed transmission with life time fluid?
Toyota/lexus went that path a while back, wonder is honda is following the trend which I dont like
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by russianDude
Is 10sp a sealed transmission with life time fluid?
Toyota/lexus went that path a while back, wonder is honda is following the trend which I dont like
For '18 Odyssey and Accord, transmission fluid change is listed for ZF 9-speed and CVT only and does not apply to the 10-speed; for '19 RDX, however, transmission fluid change is listed as a maintenance item.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Fair point.

Wow! This is becoming an interesting topic. Just as interesting as a kid receiving their first new 10-speed. lol

"Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself." I hope this is an error or a mistake. Otherwise, we can assume this is code for voiding your transmission warranty if anyone other than the dealer touches the transmission? I can already hear the dealer's cash register gleefully ringing.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Drifting

I don't know the service interval for 10-speed ATF change, but it may be 60k miles. For the 9-speed in my (former) Pilot I never paid for it. It never came up on MM before 40k miles, when the transmission got replaced, and it hadn't come up when I traded it at almost 80k miles.

This is the Owner's Manual text for 2016 Honda Pilot Touring with the 9-speed transmission:

"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary."

And it then goes on about warranty and using the correct fluid. I wonder if DIY ATF fluid changes are going the way of the rotary dial washing machine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Speed Transmission=Turn off.