Lurking North Fort Worth guy with a question. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Lurking North Fort Worth guy with a question. . .

I've started off the week with a b**** slap from old idiom of 'when it rains, it pours.' A day after my father diagnosed his 4Runner to be in the midst of plotting to throw a rod, my 2003 CL Type-S (~130,000 miles) has taken on unsettling 2-3 upshift behavior that along with a faint grinding/whirring noise in low speed, light throttle situations, has me suspecting that the transmission has finally committed to the big retirement bash all 2Gs' are supposedly destined for in one way or another. But whereas pop is favoring moving on, I, having already tried the 'dump and run' with the car I traded for the CL five years ago, am not up for it again. I like the car, and there's nothing in the market I'd rather have so much that I'd be okay with going back to making payments for five years.

That said, I've done some brushing up on later-model Accord/Odyssey transmission swaps, as I'm aware of the inherent flaws that make rebuilding the stock unit a waste if one is looking to do anything other than dump the car. My question: does anyone know of a DFW-area shop able and willing to perform (having done so already would be a huge plus) these transplants? I ask because I work unconventional hours that aren't that friendly to browsing the yellow pages (I should actually be asleep right now), and while this is far from my first time dealing with a fairly major service, it is the first in which I'm looking to ask for an unconventional solution.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
might be a better idea to post with in the DFW thread. it gets replied to at a much higher rate then other threads in this section.

Best of luck
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM
B A N N E D

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ASpirational
I've started off the week with a b**** slap from old idiom of 'when it rains, it pours.' A day after my father diagnosed his 4Runner to be in the midst of plotting to throw a rod, my 2003 CL Type-S (~130,000 miles) has taken on unsettling 2-3 upshift behavior that along with a faint grinding/whirring noise in low speed, light throttle situations, has me suspecting that the transmission has finally committed to the big retirement bash all 2Gs' are supposedly destined for in one way or another. But whereas pop is favoring moving on, I, having already tried the 'dump and run' with the car I traded for the CL five years ago, am not up for it again. I like the car, and there's nothing in the market I'd rather have so much that I'd be okay with going back to making payments for five years.

That said, I've done some brushing up on later-model Accord/Odyssey transmission swaps, as I'm aware of the inherent flaws that make rebuilding the stock unit a waste if one is looking to do anything other than dump the car. My question: does anyone know of a DFW-area shop able and willing to perform (having done so already would be a huge plus) these transplants? I ask because I work unconventional hours that aren't that friendly to browsing the yellow pages (I should actually be asleep right now), and while this is far from my first time dealing with a fairly major service, it is the first in which I'm looking to ask for an unconventional solution.
city tire and service tell them Simeon sent you and they will hook you up. 972-414-3400
The following users liked this post:
ASpirational (10-27-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd suggest doing a drain and fill (or 3x3) on the transmission in hopes that it fixes the issue... It's worth a shot. Just make sure you only use genuine Honda/Acura fluid.
The following users liked this post:
ASpirational (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by disgruntlednut
I'd suggest doing a drain and fill (or 3x3) on the transmission in hopes that it fixes the issue... It's worth a shot. Just make sure you only use genuine Honda/Acura fluid.
Tried that twice within a 40,000 mile period. A few days after I started this thread, I was taking my mother to the airport when the transmission not only slipped horribly during the 2nd-3rd shift, but 3rd-4th. It flat out refused 5th on the way back home.

I'm back on the road now, though. Have been for about a month. City Tire was willing to handle the swap, but as it was further than I wanted to chance on a bum transmission, I convinced a shop within walking distance of my house to take on the job. Other than waiting a week and a half (a half-week was lost to the shop dealing with its backlog, while communication misfires with the salvage yard took up the rest) and some more of the front bulkhead cover going MIA, all went well. However, in choosing to have only the necessary harnesses swapped, I learned the hard way why NVA-AV6 recommends swapping the CL's filter assembly onto the newer unit; not doing so won't doom the car, but it will make your next filter change easier since it isn't as integrated into the case.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Change the 3rd/4th gear solenoids. This will help, maybe fix it.