AcuraZine Dallas/Ft.Worth Crew

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Low and Slow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imj0257
Anyone going to the state fair this year? I haven't been in like... 10 years at least... but going tomorrow with the gf. They serve beer there right? Oh they better...
I just got back an hour or so ago. I hadn't been in about 4 or 5 years and everything was pretty much exactly the same as before. They do serve beer, and there was a small wine tasting thing (although I'm not much of a wine person) at one part of the park. The car show was still the most interesting part for me. Nothing too special tho. They had the new Camaro, Challenger, a Viper and some new Acuras.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
meet

we should do a mini meet sunday oct 19th
Old 10-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by YtseJammer
I just got back an hour or so ago. I hadn't been in about 4 or 5 years and everything was pretty much exactly the same as before. They do serve beer, and there was a small wine tasting thing (although I'm not much of a wine person) at one part of the park. The car show was still the most interesting part for me. Nothing too special tho. They had the new Camaro, Challenger, a Viper and some new Acuras.
Sweet. Ya I def want to check out the GTR and Camaro... and w/e else might peak my interest
Old 10-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Q('.')=O

fair wasnt bad. gtr and zr1 were sexxxxxy. we ran out of tickets and beer around 1015 so bought $30 more worth of tickets but learned they stopped serving beer at 10pm AND we couldnt do any games cus they only took that gamecard... fucking bs. so we just tried random foods and went on the ferris wheel.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I think I might head to Dave and Busters tonight if any of you fools wanna meet up
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horsepowercrzy18
we should do a mini meet sunday oct 19th
+1 !!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mantis23
OG checkin in.
Originally Posted by RUF87
OG 1 B Nube Ruf
New thread? If by OG you mean original group, check!

Inferno
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
G
Bitten.

Oh snap-Inferno! What you driving these days?

Trance-how was the reunion?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Advanced

What's up?!!!

I still have the 2002 TL-S but I'm on my third STI. The lastest is the 2008 and I'm testing prototype camberplates and custom spring rates/damper valving on AST coilovers from Vorshlag!

I trust everyone is doing well?

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/gallery/...67564801_AjkYU

and

http://www.vorshlag.smugmug.com/gall...69860236_6F48W
Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
^ Who do you track your car with? (what group)
Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocoa
^ Who do you track your car with? (what group)
I'm an instructor with The Drivers Edge, although I have also instructed with the Lone Star BMW CCA when they are short.

Unfortunately, I had a significant injury/surgery in August (playing soccer...wouldn't you know it), so I haven't been out since the "After Dark" event at TMS.

I saw you were going to be taking your TA car out to a TDE event? Was that last week's event or one coming up?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 AM
2600lb CL

I was going to before installing the kit, but read on their website they require for someone to be in your car for first timers with their group. And another thing I read was that you needed a fire proof suit if you had a roll cage.

Both were problems for me as I don't own a racing suit, and don't have the ability to put a passenger seat in my car for an instructor to sit in. (there's a bar from the cage that runs across at an angle where the passenger seat would be).

In Cali they weren't so stricted with the non-competition events. So I'm kind of trying to look for another group to run with. I had another one, but I lost their info. All I know is that it started with an "S" or "Speed....xxxx".

But it's too late now since my car is under the knife again. It's up on jacks stands as of tonight since I already started the install.

I know power isn't needed for the tracks, but I just wanted to be around 300-320whp for the tracks. And 500whp with the boost up for drag (fun). That's the only reason I went with a turbo build rather than an NA build. It's as easy as hitting a button to decrease or increase hp (obviously when done right on a dyno).

Is there a way around those 2 rules I mentioned? Could I use my truck for the track for one lap to have the instructor in? Is there a suit I could rent?

Btw goodluck with everything for you. I know how you feel. The doctors dont know whether I have a pinched siatic nerve, or tendonitis. My right leg kills me! I've cried driving before, and have just about lost it. It hurts to sit the most. But for some reason, it doesn't hurt as much in the CL as it does in the Titan.

Last edited by Cocoa; 10-10-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Advanced

A couple of thoughts (and sorry if this sounds like preaching...take my comments with a grain of salt, please!):

First, if you have modified the car to remove the factory designed fire barriers (and/or added flammable items to the interior), then you really do want a certified fire suit. MSR rents them for member's guests, so you can always call them if you are at that track and arrange to rent one (I think it is pretty cheap). Ultimately, you want to buy one for yourself...much like you want your own helmet. I have seen a few cars on fire, mostly from grass fires when they spun and stalled or were stuck. Once, I saw an oil line that came loose and sprayed oil on the exhaust manifold on an S2000 and caught the engine bay on fire on-track. In other words, stuff happens and fire is one of the biggest risks to the driver on track.

Second, there is huge value with in-car instruction. Everyone, no matter how good they are, can use instruction. For novices, good instruction can shave 5-10 seconds a lap from the first day to the second. For more experienced drives, those gains come in smaller amounts, but 1-3 seconds a lap from the first to second day are fairly common. More importantly, there is a transfer of knowledge about how to handle situations like passing, spinning, flag and track awareness, and even the correct focus and attitude while on track that you can't get on your own. All of this means you are safer, faster, and more consistent on track...the three key qualities we all want the other driver to have when they are making a pass at 100+ mph going into Rattlesnake, right?

If TDE isn't for you, have you looked at Apex? http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/ Apex rents cars I believe. I have heard good things about them from some of the guys who instruct with Apex and TDE...they have a great program...lots of instruction in a one day format...you can't go wrong with them.

Thanks for the good wishes on the injury...all will be fine in time. I hope they figure out the nerve issue you have...these core nerve issues are unbelievable if you have never experienced it. You have all my sympathy and I hope they figure it out for you soon.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
meet?

anyone wana meet up tonight at hot import nights?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by InfernoTLS
A couple of thoughts (and sorry if this sounds like preaching...take my comments with a grain of salt, please!):

First, if you have modified the car to remove the factory designed fire barriers (and/or added flammable items to the interior), then you really do want a certified fire suit. MSR rents them for member's guests, so you can always call them if you are at that track and arrange to rent one (I think it is pretty cheap). Ultimately, you want to buy one for yourself...much like you want your own helmet. I have seen a few cars on fire, mostly from grass fires when they spun and stalled or were stuck. Once, I saw an oil line that came loose and sprayed oil on the exhaust manifold on an S2000 and caught the engine bay on fire on-track. In other words, stuff happens and fire is one of the biggest risks to the driver on track.

Second, there is huge value with in-car instruction. Everyone, no matter how good they are, can use instruction. For novices, good instruction can shave 5-10 seconds a lap from the first day to the second. For more experienced drives, those gains come in smaller amounts, but 1-3 seconds a lap from the first to second day are fairly common. More importantly, there is a transfer of knowledge about how to handle situations like passing, spinning, flag and track awareness, and even the correct focus and attitude while on track that you can't get on your own. All of this means you are safer, faster, and more consistent on track...the three key qualities we all want the other driver to have when they are making a pass at 100+ mph going into Rattlesnake, right?

If TDE isn't for you, have you looked at Apex? http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/ Apex rents cars I believe. I have heard good things about them from some of the guys who instruct with Apex and TDE...they have a great program...lots of instruction in a one day format...you can't go wrong with them.

Thanks for the good wishes on the injury...all will be fine in time. I hope they figure out the nerve issue you have...these core nerve issues are unbelievable if you have never experienced it. You have all my sympathy and I hope they figure it out for you soon.

Teach me how to drive my MX5.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:49 AM
2600lb CL

Having the instructor in the car, is that a one time thing? Or is that every time you race with TDE? Just curious.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by o2cls
Teach me how to drive my MX5.
Easy stuff...that is a great car! You NEED to go to TDE or some other track events...you will have a great time!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Having the instructor in the car, is that a one time thing? Or is that every time you race with TDE? Just curious.
So Cocoa, what is your experience level at the track?

To answer your question, TDE does have "solo" qualification in each run group except the novice group, depending on the driver and their experience, skill, etc. There are five run groups based on experience: from novice to most experienced are green, blue, yellow, red, and instructor. Typically (meaning average, some follow a faster learning curve, others a slower one), one is with an instructor while in green and then the first time they advance to a new run group, so Blue becomes the first opportunity to be solo.

Pretty much everyone thinks they are ready to be solo going into their first event. There are a few factors that determine if one is solo ready, and at the blue level (i.e. most basic) level, they have to demonstrate solid car control skills (consistently placing the car on the correct line and the ability to manage the car at speed to maintain that line), track awareness (of flags, other drivers, etc), and track management (ability to give and take a pass properly). There are other factors that are included as you advance. It is impossible to determine these things except "in the car" in real time situations.

As you know, the skills you need on the track are very different than on the street...even if you are a skilled canyon carver!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
2600lb CL

Been to the tracks about 1 1/2 years (we use to go every month, but it's also been awhile since I've been). But I have no experience with the tracks over here in Dallas/Ft Worth. I would want to start at the lowest level like anyone else would at a new track. My only problem is that I don't have a car to race with the ability to put anyone in the passenger seat.

Back in Cali we only had 3 groups to run with, and none which included an instructor in the car. We had beginner, intermediate, and advanced. They placed you in a certain group based on lap times and track experience. I'd always prefer beginner and work my up. We didn't have flaggers on each corner. We only had one flagger at the finish line. And the rule was, no passing on corners, only on straights. Big Willow was the main track we ran on.

This is the bar that runs across where the passenger seat would be. You see, I have no choice. I can't have anyone else in the car. What are my other options if I wanted to run this car on the tracks in Dallas/Ft Worth? I'm not trying to sound like I have tons of experience or anything. I'm just trying to figure out how I can use this car as the rules are new to me.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
2600lb CL

I'm also aware the harness is not mounted the way it should be. I just recently put the cage in, so I will now use a different harness to wrap around the harness bar.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
New thread? If by OG you mean original group, check!

Inferno

well well, lookie who's still around . . .

Sounds like you are still hog wild with the motor course stuff.

Ruf
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Lead Footed

BTW . . . me thinks me tranny is about to go . . .

1st tranny 23,000 miles
2nd tranny 44,000 miles

Ruf

Last edited by RUF87; 10-14-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: sig
Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Escaped from Galvatraz

Just checking in to see how things have been going.

The Austin Meet was......... hum ask the other 4 people there

With the things the way they are in Galveston right now, I have LOTS of free time on my hands (45 days or so). If there happens to be a meet in DFW, I would love to be there.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sup Galvatraz_TL!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

What's going on guys? It's been a while. I kinda faded away, but things have changed a little now. I just picked up a black on black 06 TL 6 speed with navi. So what do I do to it?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by danny25
What's going on guys? It's been a while. I kinda faded away, but things have changed a little now. I just picked up a black on black 06 TL 6 speed with navi. So what do I do to it?
Yo dude . . good to hear from you! I heard that a biker over in the Arlington area bit the big one and I thought to myself 'hope that wasn't Danny', whew

Anyway, you can bring that new car to the track so we can whip up on it . .

You'll have to tell us how it feels compared to the CL TypeS you had . . . pros . . cons . . . so don't hold back.

Ruf
Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Nope, not me thank goodness. I haven't been riding too much lately, I think I need to just sell the bike actually. It's a lot of fun, but I guess I'm just not a "biker".

CL Type S I still have actually. I got married a few months ago, the wife drives the CL now.

First impressions, it doesn't handle as well as the CL, but that's because it's stock and the CL has springs and sways. And it's got cheap new tires from the dealership. It is a lot more fun to drive though, just due to the 6 speed. I love driving a manual. I've missed it for 7 years now.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Lead Footed

Nope, not me thank goodness. I haven't been riding too much lately, I think I need to just sell the bike actually. It's a lot of fun, but I guess I'm just not a "biker".

CL Type S I still have actually. I got married a few months ago, the wife drives the CL now.

First impressions, it doesn't handle as well as the CL, but that's because it's stock and the CL has springs and sways. And it's got cheap new tires from the dealership. It is a lot more fun to drive though, just due to the 6 speed. I love driving a manual. I've missed it for 7 years now.
WHAT!! Got married . . . no wonder why you've not been around much.

Well . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

Ruf
Old 10-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Beware of leakage

Originally Posted by civic4982
I've been well buddy.

It's definitely been a long time. I'm actually traveling around a bit now for school but finishing up my last year this year and then done.

What're you driving now?
Glad to hear your doing well. Current car is a 2006 S2000, favorite car purchase to date. I see you have a G35 now ?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Beware of leakage

Congrats on the marriage Danny!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Beware of leakage

I'm an instructor with The Drivers Edge, although I have also instructed with the Lone Star BMW CCA when they are short.

Unfortunately, I had a significant injury/surgery in August (playing soccer...wouldn't you know it), so I haven't been out since the "After Dark" event at TMS.
Hey Inferno, long time no talk. Hope your recovery is going well.
I actually have participated in 2 TDE events (both at MSR), and my last one I was signed off solo in the blue group. I love the organization of TDE. I wonder if I have seen you out there and just didn't realize who you were.
I was going to do the TMS after dark since I was solo approved, but figured I should at least have done it during the day first.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the marriage.

For the car:

Isn't the 6MT sweet on the TL! I'd throw a short shifter on it, a CAI and remove the resonator and mid muffler and make that thing breath easier plus you'll love the sound. You could probably do all of that for under $300.

Then I'd work on rear swaybar, shocks and wheels.

Do some easy lighting stuff with LEDs inside and out.

A-Spec body kit maybe for looks?

I'm looking at doing the CAT delete/j-pipe now that I'm past warranty to help breath a little more. Get my HP up above 300bhp. I'm running 2.5" exhast all the way back from the #3 cat.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Q('.')=O

just moved into a new apt in arlington. anyone here have a black cls? there's a very sexy one that parks across the lot from me
Old 10-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
Congrats on the marriage.

For the car:

Isn't the 6MT sweet on the TL! I'd throw a short shifter on it, a CAI and remove the resonator and mid muffler and make that thing breath easier plus you'll love the sound. You could probably do all of that for under $300.

Then I'd work on rear swaybar, shocks and wheels.

Do some easy lighting stuff with LEDs inside and out.

A-Spec body kit maybe for looks?

I'm looking at doing the CAT delete/j-pipe now that I'm past warranty to help breath a little more. Get my HP up above 300bhp. I'm running 2.5" exhast all the way back from the #3 cat.
Thanks!

Yeah the 6 speed is great. It's got such a satisfying feel to it when you row the gears.

So you replaced all the piping after the J pipe to the mufflers? Any pics? How's the sound compare to stock?

Rear sway bar only? What about the front?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a look at my Photo Gallery, you will see lots of stuff you can do to your car.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
OH man, look at all these guys. woot....

Inferno, I will be contacting you after I buy this lotus. Next year or the year after I plan on tracking this car and really getting into it. I will need you to show me the way.....

Danny, good to see you bro. Any mod help let me know
Old 10-20-2008, 11:24 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
OH man, look at all these guys. woot....

Inferno, I will be contacting you after I buy this lotus. Next year or the year after I plan on tracking this car and really getting into it. I will need you to show me the way.....

Danny, good to see you bro. Any mod help let me know

sweet......a track buddy!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^ Hey buddy!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RUF87
WHAT!! Got married . . . no wonder why you've not been around much.

Well . . . CONGRATULATIONS!

Ruf
Originally Posted by Chopsie
Congrats on the marriage Danny!
Thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FADE
Take a look at my Photo Gallery, you will see lots of stuff you can do to your car.
I want I want I want! I'm gonna need more info on the "key mod" and playing DVDs on the navi.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: AcuraZine Dallas/Ft.Worth Crew