Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Watching Slingbox in a vacation home

Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Watching Slingbox in a vacation home

Will have a tv and internet only service at our mountain house.

From what I understand I need a Slingbox at my primary home and Internet service, a media player (Apple TV, Roku), and either an IPhone or iPad at the vacation home.

Is that it?
Is there a way to do it without the iPhone or iPad?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Every time I research Slingbox I hear arguments over connectivity issues. Can you chromecast with it? Laptop to TV via HDMI?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Put this in the wrong forum. Moved to Technology.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

I have not purchased anything yet.
What's my best option?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Of slingbox's options

Slingbox.com - Slingbox 500

Slingbox 500 features
•Watch and control 100% of the TV you already pay for on a tablet*, phone*, PC, or Mac with unlimited free apps
•View and manage DVR recordings
•Home TV interface via HDMI with live sports stats and a gallery view for easy program discovery
•Sort by program genre or set up favorites
•Integrated YouTube app and YouTube Web Gallery with top-trending videos
•Get contextual YouTube recommendations, based on the show you're watching, at the touch of a button
•Watch on a second TV anywhere via Apple TV®, Chromecast®, Fire TV®, or Roku®*
•Access to thousands of movies with Blockbuster On Demand
•Connect via WiFi or Ethernet
•HDMI, component, and composite in/out
•Easy and quick setup on your TV screen with free live video assistance
•Absolutely no monthly fees

Warning from Amazon reviews - Ad popups

Amazon.com: Sling Media SlingTV (Slingbox 500): Electronics Amazon.com: Sling Media SlingTV (Slingbox 500): Electronics
Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok so what is the easiest way to watch my cable box in my primary home on a tv at another home?
Old 11-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
I used a Slingbox when I had cable:
Amazon.com: Sling Media Slingbox M1: Electronics Amazon.com: Sling Media Slingbox M1: Electronics
Caveat: It only has component video in though

I no longer use it because cancelled cable bill but it was easy enough. I plugged it into a cable box and then downloaded the Slingplayer app on phone or computer to watch. You'll need a Roku or AppleTV or various other apps listed here: Slingbox.com - How to watch your Slingbox on a TV

My recommendation would be buying Chromecast, and then casting it from your phone because you'll have less hardware/software to buy. Plus Chromecast is so universally useful and you already have a phone. You'd have to buy the following:

1. Slingbox
2. Slingplayer app
3. Chromecast

I'm not using the box anymore (only used it for 2 months or so) so can sell to ya if you're interested!
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Even the 500 doesn't accept HDMI. Not sure of Sling competitors TBH.

There are phone/tablet apps that allow live streaming as long as you can sign in with your cable provider log in. Even the provider itself has their own apps where you can watch live TV through the laptop or phone. I don't know if ATV or Roku has the app for your provider.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
When traveling, I like to be able to watch recordings on my home PVR while staying in a hotel room, in particular my local news channel.

To accomplish this I have a Slingbox M1 connected to the set top box (STB or PVR whichever term you prefer) of my TV provider. The Slingbox simply broadcasts whatever is coming out of the STB, onto the Internet. It also allows me to control the STB from the remote location. It lets me operate the STB as if I was in the room with the handheld remote. I can change channels, play recordings, pause, fast forward, etc.

In the hotel room, I used to use a small Netbook running Windows to view my Slingbox, but I recently started viewing the video on my Nexus 7 tablet or smart phone. I then purchased a Chromecast which can quickly be inserted into the HDMI port of any hotel TV, and I cast the video from my phone/tablet onto the hotel HD TV.

So to summarize, you need a video source at your home that uses a STB. You can't sling TV signals that arrive over an antenna. You also need Internet at home, so that you can connect to your Slingbox from a remote location. At your second home, all you need is an Internet connection. You can use a PC, a tablet, or a phone to view the video. If you are using a phone or tablet, you can cast the video to a large screen TV with a Chromecast stick or Roku box. There may be other options that I am not aware of though.

The quality of the picture is determined by your Internet speeds at each location. The picture quality will be automatically reduced to match whatever speed is available. There is also a five second buffer during playback. So when you hit pause on the remote, you home PVR will pause immediately, but the buffer will continue to play on your phone/tablet for an additional 5 seconds. This buffer is necessary to prevent momentary dropouts during playback, but it does make skipping through commercials difficult.

Overall this is a good product with only a single one time purchase cost for the box and an additional $14.99 for the Android app or $16.99 for the Iphone app.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
In the hotel room, I used to use a small Netbook running Windows to view my Slingbox, but I recently started viewing the video on my Nexus 7 tablet or smart phone. I then purchased a Chromecast which can quickly be inserted into the HDMI port of any hotel TV, and I cast the video from my phone/tablet onto the hotel HD TV.
How do you connect your Chromecast to your Hotel's wifi?

I ran into that snag this weekend but ended up just having to tether the Chromecast to cell phone
Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I did this in London for the NFL - We used the Slingbox in the US house, Apple TV and Ipad for London. Worked pretty good.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Maybe I'm not being clear.
House 1: Verizon Fios DVR, Internet, Phone
House 2: Internet only and a television

Want to watch recorded and live shows on house 2 tv using Fios DVR in House 1 in simplest way possible.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
What I said.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
How do you connect your Chromecast to your Hotel's wifi?
There are two ways.

#1) If you run the Chromecast app on the Android phone and select the "Devices" tab, you will see your device. If the Chromecast cannot connect to it's previous WiFi connection (because your are in a different hotel for example), it will list the available networks. You select the Hotel's network and enter the WiFi password.

Of course this won't work if your Hotel uses a captive portal. A captive portal network usually doesn't have a WiFi password, but the first page you see is the Hotel's login page where you have to agree to their terms ( and sometimes enter a password) before being allowed to continue.

#2 Is what I use, both for privacy and to overcome the captive portals. I use what is commonly known as a pocket router. The model I have is a DIR-505 (click here). Among other functions, this device can connect to the hotels WiFi network, and provide a second WiFi network that I connect all my devices to. So when I plug this into an AC receptacle, all my devices (including the Chromecast) automatically connect to my DIR-505, because they already know the password.

I then connect to the DIR-505 web interface with any web browser and select the Hotel's network (and password) for the connection point. As far as the hotel is concerned, I only have one device connected to their network. If I accept the terms of the captive portal on my Nexus 7 for example, then every other device on my private network is automatically granted access. The Dir-505 also prevents other hotel guests from seeing my devices as they would on "many" hotel networks.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Maybe I'm not being clear.
House 1: Verizon Fios DVR, Internet, Phone
House 2: Internet only and a television

Want to watch recorded and live shows on house 2 tv using Fios DVR in House 1 in simplest way possible.
I thought I answered the question. This is the simplest way I know, and if you have a smart phone you already have everything you need except the SlingBox and a Chromecast (~$20).

So to summarize, you need a video source at your home that uses a STB. You can't sling TV signals that arrive over an antenna. You also need Internet at home, so that you can connect to your Slingbox from a remote location. At your second home, all you need is an Internet connection. You can use a PC, a tablet, or a phone to view the video. If you are using a phone or tablet, you can cast the video to a large screen TV with a Chromecast stick or Roku box. There may be other options that I am not aware of though.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Awesome nerd talk
Awesome Rick, thanks for the heads up!

I didn't know there was Access Points that could do that now!! I assume they have a built-in NAT?
All the hotels I've been staying at have captive portals, now I gotta go invest in that AP so I can bring my Chromecast around too

Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I assume they have a built-in NAT?
All the hotels I've been staying at have captive portals, now I gotta go invest in that AP so I can bring my Chromecast around too
Yes it does NAT, that is why it appears to be a single device on the hotel's network. Once the MAC of the pocket router is registered with the hotel, all other devices on your "private WiFi" get a free ride. The model I quoted is quite old, and there are many newer models running at "N" speeds. They are also known as "travel routers". There are many available at <$25.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks everyone for your help.