Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Phone for someone "Cellular Challenged"

Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Phone for someone "Cellular Challenged"

That would be me. And I thought I would ask the advice of those here in regards to my next phone purchase.

First off, I hate cellular phones. They are a necessary evil, but it doesn't make me feel any better packing one around. My four-and-half year old Sammy has been a great phone, but the keys are becoming somewhat disagreeable. I've spent a few weeks looking, and it seems that today's phones have many features and toys I will never use. My friends all have phones which they currently recommend, but I'm not entirely sure if they're recommending their phones on merit or trying to justify to themselves the obscene amounts of money they've spent on them. I thought perhaps I could list my wants and requirements and those who are much more familiar with phones could respond.

First off, it will be used primarily as a phone. It needs to ring. It doesn't need to play fancy ring tones or confidently display it's annoying colours when someone phones me. Instead of lugging my laptop around in the trucks to access e-mail, I suppose it should have that capability as well. And I guess it would be nice to go onto the net from time to time. Camera? Don't really care. I suppose if it comes with it it would be a nice feature, but I really don't care how many megapixals it has. IT HAS TO BE SIMPLE. Simple to use. Simple to access. And simple to understand. Something if I pull out of my pocket while on the bike I'm not fumbling around trying to use it. It needs to be very user friendly. I'm not interesting in having a lot of buttons that will only confuse me that will most likely result in it being tossed against a wall. And it needs to be TOUGH. Something I can drop in the chicken shit, toss in the truck, leave overnight in the garage, and accidently drop in the snow for the day (this has happened quite often to me).

Lastly, something that will hopefully be current for some time. I'm not interested in a contract, and will purchase the phone outright regardless of cost, but it needs to last me a few years.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
blackberry bold

/thread
Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
What kind of email are you looking to get? Personal like yahoo/hotmail? or work email, possibly with Exchange? or both?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
It can't really be simple plus do what you want it to....A basic phone is pretty much the free ones you get when you sign a new contract. Most of them can get on the Internet and connect to a pop mail account, but the screen will be small and there will be no keyboard. Who is your provider? Do you want a keyboard?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
My Garage

^he is using it in place of a laptop. Get the Bold man
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
^he is using it in place of a laptop. Get the Bold man
I would, but its not a simple phone.....
Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I would, but its not a simple phone.....
Yea, i know, but it's not that bad. I've played with "dumb phones" that were more complicated than blackberries.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated.

GIBSON:
Yeah, I have looked at the Bold. Seems to be a great phone. A little complicated, but it is a consideration.

MS03:
Forgive me for not completely understanding what you are asking, but I'm hoping to receive both personal and business. I believe they are set up as a POP account. I have no idea what that means.

Whiskers:
I believe it is a POP account through my internet provider. A keyboard is nice as I suppose it is easier to type messages with.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated.

GIBSON:
Yeah, I have looked at the Bold. Seems to be a great phone. A little complicated, but it is a consideration.

MS03:
Forgive me for not completely understanding what you are asking, but I'm hoping to receive both personal and business. I believe they are set up as a POP account. I have no idea what that means.

Whiskers:
I believe it is a POP account through my internet provider. A keyboard is nice as I suppose it is easier to type messages with.

If you consider web browsing a top priority with e-mail secondary, the iphone is the way to go.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Just a few thoughts here. First, "web access" and "simple" are probably mutually exclusive.

Whichever phone OP Terry gets will have to last more than a couple of years- that means it will have to have a self-replaceable battery (no iPhones) and likely require a case for protective purposes-- probably neoprene or leather/vinyl with full closure-- if touch screens or keypads are exposed, like on the iPhone and Blackberry.

Maybe the best thing is to check to see which phones the provider has to see if one has the appropriate keypad design and features. If not, check for an unlocked phone that has good features that is compatible with the cell system.

I've found some of the Motorola non-Razr flip phones, like my old V551, had pretty simple keypad button arrays with well-defined number buttons, substantial-feeling metal and rubberized plastic outside shell (I used a holster case anyway) and a web browser. The V500 series is now discontinued, but it had everything I needed, was a decent size (not too small) and had a self replaceable battery. The V500 series was GSM only, IIRC, and not CDMA.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
blackberry bold

/thread
Bold FTW. It is too bad at all. I think BB's OS is easier to learn, than alot of phones.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Go Giants

Would you want to tether your phone to your laptop?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Just a few thoughts here. First, "web access" and "simple" are probably mutually exclusive.

Whichever phone OP Terry gets will have to last more than a couple of years- that means it will have to have a self-replaceable battery (no iPhones) and likely require a case for protective purposes-- probably neoprene or leather/vinyl with full closure-- if touch screens or keypads are exposed, like on the iPhone and Blackberry.

Maybe the best thing is to check to see which phones the provider has to see if one has the appropriate keypad design and features. If not, check for an unlocked phone that has good features that is compatible with the cell system.

I've found some of the Motorola non-Razr flip phones, like my old V551, had pretty simple keypad button arrays with well-defined number buttons, substantial-feeling metal and rubberized plastic outside shell (I used a holster case anyway) and a web browser. The V500 series is now discontinued, but it had everything I needed, was a decent size (not too small) and had a self replaceable battery. The V500 series was GSM only, IIRC, and not CDMA.
Thanks for the info Will. I never realized that some phones do not have a replaceable battery. I am very concerned about the durability and longevity of a touch screen, as the phone will be used as a tool and at times subjected to harsh conditions.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What company are you with? Bell, Fido, Rogers?

I'm with Fido, but I know Bell has those 10-4 phones that are almost impossible to break and are very easy to use. You could throw them across the room and it'll be fine. They are made w/ military standards. They just aren't the best looking or the "cool" phones people normally buy. if you open these links, go to the bottom and click on specifications

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.../65659.details

or

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.../64892.details
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Would you want to tether your phone to your laptop?
Don't laugh Whiskers, but I never knew could do such a thing. I'm a rather ignorant individual when it comes to cell phones and computers. I want them to work, not really caring how they do, and unfortunately not really interested in learning either. I know, I know.............................

What is the benefit of doing such a thing?

Thanks again for the advice everyone. It has really been helpful.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Go Giants

^^You can basically use your phone as a USB modem. Then use you're laptop as normal with an internet connection. Its not that cheap though.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Terry, who's your provider? and are you satisfied with them? I'll walk you through this and get you a heck of a deal. Also what is the length of your relationship with your current provider.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Terry, who's your provider? and are you satisfied with them? I'll walk you through this and get you a heck of a deal. Also what is the length of your relationship with your current provider.
Hi Douglas

Telus. Satisfied with them somewhat, but I would certainly be open to other offers. Been with them for about fifteen years.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Unofficial Goat

Hi Douglas

Telus. Satisfied with them somewhat, but I would certainly be open to other offers. Been with them for about fifteen years.

I take it your like me and have been out of contract for a long time as well and want to keep it that way.

Out of the phones they offer, I would suggest either the BlackBerry Curve (8330), BlackBerry Pearl 8130 Overall BB devices are pretty tough, and they have a great return/exchange program should it break. I would discuss other phones, but their site (telus) has crapped out on me and I can't get to the products page for some reason, they must know what I'm up too

By the sounds of it, your not ready for a touchscreen device, and I don't think it's realistic to expect one to survive reasonably well in the conditions you described.

Now on to getting it on the cheap. Call up telus, DON'T GO INTO THE STORE. Ask to speak directly with the retentions department once you get a hold of a live person. If they give you a hard time about it, politely say I don't think you will be able to assist me to the level required/please let me speak to manager.

Now when you get to retention/manager on the phone simply say, listen my phone is beat up, and I want a new one, I like the BB XXXXXX model but I think price is too high to purchase outright, however I wish to maintain my contract free status. They will say the only way to get lower price etc is by signing up (Don't fall for it). Now pull out your ACE in the hole. The Iphone. Say listen, I'm out of contract and have no obligation to stay with you guys, and it just so happens that I can walk into the Fido store and buy an Iphone for the same price, get more features and they offer rewards points for paying my bill monthly.

Now they will try to talk shit about the Iphone/Fido. just ignore whatever they say. Come back with this, Fido will offer a new customer 500 off a new phone and free first 3 months calling etc, with the commitment of 3 years from the customer, seems like a nice deal, but you guys need to beat it in order for me to continue to be loyal, and here's how your going to make this happen: Firstly, I want XXXXXXX phone at the 3yr contract price, BUT I will not sign any contract under any conditions, and here's why; I have been a customer for 15+ years (helps if you assign a dollar value too say $30/mthX15yr=5400), and I've been out of contract for XX years, you can consider the discount you're about to give me on the phone as a retroactive reward for my previous XX years of out of contract loyalty to you. They will say some crap, and say listen, FIDO offers rewards dollars for everytime I pay my bill, if I was a Fido customer I would already have about 1000 Fido dollars, and they would simply give me a handset no questions no contract.

Now put it all together, and no matter what they say keep throwing these things in their face, go on and on about how they treat new customers great but give sweet fuck all to those that have been there since the start. Tell them hey listen I can take my number over to Fido and start getting appreciated as a customer instead of being treated like a money tree. and keep throwing the above few facts in their face, even if they don't make sense in the context of the conversation, keep slamming them with them because they are fundamentally true and that's all that matters. Important thing is to keep amping up how attractive Fido looks, and how poor telus does. Another good point too is if you rarely call their CS lines, you can argue how much money you have saved them etc, as you are a low cost users, and now it's time to reep your rewards.

They will in the end give you what you want. I've done this a million times, it works. Should probably talk about 1/2hour on the phone, and they will mail you the new handset. Also make sure they give you 3 months unlimited local calling etc just as they would a new customer.

sorry for all the spelling grammar etc. feel free to ask further questions.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for the advice Dougler. Much appreciated! I'll follow your advice and give it a try. I refuse to enter into any service contract, no matter how attractive it may be initially. My corporate/personal monthly charges from Telus is currently in the $300-$400 range, and I can't see them being prepared to lose a customer.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Unofficial Goat

Thanks for the advice Dougler. Much appreciated! I'll follow your advice and give it a try. I refuse to enter into any service contract, no matter how attractive it may be initially. My corporate/personal monthly charges from Telus is currently in the $300-$400 range, and I can't see them being prepared to lose a customer.

in the last 15 years averaging 350/month you've given them $63,000 the least they can do is give you a $500 phone.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I always thought the samsung rugby to be a very durable and simple phone. However no qwerty keypad. http://www.wirefly.com/catalog/at&t/...g/a837-yellow/
You'd probably have to find one through a canadian wireless provider or buy an unlocked phone online that works with your networks bandwidth.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why nobody mention Nokia E71 ? I would recommend iphone too but you dont want to go with contract...

here its review
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-e71-en.shtml

Currently I have Nokia E71, N95 8GB , N79 and Iphone 3G 16 GB