Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Partioning a hard drive

Old 11-10-2008 | 05:24 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by stogie1020
So, despite all the working solutions we gave you that would have done what you wanted without problem, what DID you do that screwed it up so badly?
On that picture that I put up, I right clicked on the unpartitioned hard drive space and formatted it. I was able to see what was in it, which was apparently nothing, even though it had 99% free of 2GB.

I tried to extend it to the C: drive, but that would not work under Windows XP.

I turned off the computer.

I turned it back on a couple of minutes later, and I get a black screen that quoted what I had said earlier, something about inserting a bootable disc and pressing any key.

I happen to think that I had just deleted the operating system.

I need to find a copy of Windows XP Home so I can get this computer back up and running.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:28 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
You should tell us what happened exactly first of all, I'm just speculating.
I assume you nuked a partition? Did you then do merge? or not yet?

You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a hard disk.
The Master Boot record (MBR) of the hard disk says which partition is the actual partition to use to boot. At the moment I have Bootit NG installed in the MBR which asks me which partition I am going to boot with. I have had different operating systems installed on different partitions, and select which one.

If the partition with your OS is still there, but your computer is complaining about no OS, then it's booting off the wrong partition.

You can also get boot disks here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
And you can try to boot / recreate the old 2GB partition and see if
you can reset things.

But again, you might want to stop, tell us exactly what you did and what
the current state of things is, before you possibly make things worse.

- Frank

When I boot up the computer, it says "Sony," and then a black screen comes up, like in DOS, and it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key."

Problem is, I don't have any bootable media.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:34 PM
Sweet!

If you didn't do a custom Windows install, your boot/startup volume is most likely the C: partition. There's no way Windows would've let you mess up the boot volume while it's in use (when the computer has used it to boot). So, if everything you did was within Windows (and not using 3rd party utilities)...I'm a bit confused!

Just FYI: when you "format" a partition, you are setting up the space to be usable by the operating system. Kind-of like laying a foundation for a house. So, any partition that has just been formatted will be empty because there was no place for data to be stored beforehand.

Last edited by thunder04; 11-10-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by thunder04
If you didn't do a custom Windows install, your boot/startup volume is most likely the C: partition. There's no way Windows would've let you mess up the boot volume while it's in use (when the computer has used it to boot). So, if everything you did was within Windows (and not using 3rd party utilities)...I'm a bit confused!

Just FYI: when you "format" a partition, you are setting up the space to be usable by the operating system. Kind-of like laying a foundation for a house. So, any partition that has just been formatted will be empty because there was no place for data to be stored beforehand.
Do a quick format on any partition that had data on it and send it to me. I will show you how empty it was....
Old 11-10-2008 | 05:51 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Nevermind, I found a Media Recovery Disc that I had made back in 2004. I hope it works. Seems to be going OK so far.

I have to re-install some stuff, but oh well. Almost everything important (pictures, videos, etc.) was backed up to my external hard drive.