Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

outlook express question.. help!!

Old 11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outlook express question.. help!!

alright, my boss at work may have a virus in his mailbox. everytime he tries to go into the inbox, the computer goes black. now, here is what i want to try and do. i want to try and get to that email and delete it. so, im trying to figure out where the inbox emails are stored. anyone know... help. and if you have any other ideas.. shoot.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are not stored individually, but rather all together in one file. I suggest you install an antivirus program in that computer and the next time you bring up outlook the program shoudl catch it....
Old 11-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I think Andrew is correct. I believe it stores all the emails in a *.PST file (at least thats how it is in the regular version of Outlook). You can try to move the *.pst file to another machine and open it and see if it happens again.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Race Director

Its not the same for everyone but heres mine:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{8FB52FEE-7027-473F-A1DB-0B8FEAEA7D93}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If you have access to Outlook Express Options than go to Tools - Options - Maintenance Tab and click Store Folder, You will see where all your things are stored..

The Part after Identities should be diff but Im pretty sure you can get to it if you look around..

The Folders are stored as *.dbx and I think you should copy it on a disk and delete it.. Than try and see if bosses mailbox works? if it still doesnt than its someother error..

Also Download this Program called R-Mail
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-...ml?tag=lst-0-2

It will let you view your DBX and check things like what has been deleted, go see if it still turns screen black with this program?

Another Program you should try is Express Archiver:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-...ml?tag=lst-0-1

That Program should let you access everything in Outlook and do lots of other things..

Also You might want to install Norton and Go to its options and check the Mail Checking option now whenever a virus is detected it will give you options.

I TRIED MY BEST ..