Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Nokia: Phone News & Discussion Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
Apparently some guy has a 1020 and has been uploading a bunch of short clips from it on youtube.

I've only seen a couple so far but this one seems to be showing off the zoom capabilities. IDK if this is mechanical zoom (AFAIK it doesn't have it) or zooming in from a downsampled 41MP video to a native 1080P video.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This shows the focus and detail

I need this...

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 07-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Just watched the live stream of the announcement. This phone is bad ass. The new pro cam app looks really neat. I'm now looking on ebay to see how much my 920 cyan is going for.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Sanest Florida Man

<script height="318px" width="565px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=dcc84e41db014454b08662a766057e2b&ec =9pNXA3ZDqXQrQxLPIuEnCMBnsLR_WV3h"></script>
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
They priced it way too high. Too high!

For $300 on a 2 year contract and the subsequent the off contract price, you might as well go get a S110 or NEX. Heck, you can probably find DSLRs for around the same price too. You crazy, Nokia!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

people are saying it takes a better pic than a P&S, plus it's still a phone. Millions pay $300 for an iPhone with a much worse camera. people that want a great camera will pay for it. Galaxy S4 32GB is $300 too.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Sample Pictures

lowlight:

More here including massive FULL res pics
http://press.nokia.com/media/626/pho...0-2/?tpage=100
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Cool Cnet

You can sum up Nokia's just-unveiled Lumia 1020 in 3 words: 41, megapixel, camera.

Teased and leaked to death up to the very last minute before the big reveal, the Lumia 1020's 41-megapixel shooter is what makes Nokia's next marquee Windows phone, and what gives hardware jockeys a reason to salivate.

The Windows Phone 8 device will sell in the U.S. exclusively at AT&T for a hefty $299.99 with 2-year contract. Preorders begin July 16, with the Lumia 1020 becoming available online and in stores July 26. (The Lumia 1020 will also sell globally.)

It's all about the camera
Make no mistake about it: the Lumia 1020's stunningly enormous image resolution is this smartphone's single killer feature and sole reason for being. Yep, the 1020 puts the mega back in megapixels.
Nokia Lumia 1020 debuts
Crazy-big 41-mp camera explained
Windows Phone tweaks back Lumia 1020's 41MP camera
Why the Nokia Lumia 1020 is AT&T-only
Path, Flipboard are coming to the Lumia 1020
What's old -- and new -- about the Nokia Lumia 1020's camera
Here, Nokia pairs an ultralarge camera sensor with the company's PureView image-processing software, finally bringing us the smartphone we hoped the Lumia 920 and its many variants would be.

Camera geeks looking for the nitty-gritty will find 6-lens Carl Zeiss optics (as in the recently unveiled Lumia 925), which also takes on wide angles.

It has high-resolution 3x zoom, autofocus (you can manually focus, too), and a dual-flash system. A smaller LED flash complements the larger Xenon flash -- a design we saw in Verizon's Lumia 928 -- and the entire shooter captures 1080p HD video at a rate of 30 frames per second.

Ball bearings surrounding the lens promise image stabilization, which CEO Stephen Elop demonstrated onstage with photos he took on a wobbly boat. We suspect that ball bearings replaced the stabilizing springs found in the Lumia 920 to conserve space and keep the camera mount profile as low as possible.

Nokia has also made strides -- and had successes -- with its low-light photos. In fact, the Lumia 928's camera has the best low-light quality of any phone's that I've seen, with the iPhone 5 a close 2nd in my photo tests. Nokia aims for even more improved low-light performance from its Lumia 1020.

Nokia's Pro Camera settings boast controls that let shutterbugs and serious photographers easily navigate their options on the 41-megapixel beast, including manual exposure settings and long exposure times. The camera app also includes a tutorial, which sounds helpful for newbies wanting to learn how to use their high-octane phone, though we'll have to wait and see what the phone can teach us.

Couple that with Windows Phone camera apps, called lenses, that layer on additional settings you won't find in the native camera app, and you have an interesting camera story that -- Nokia hopes -- will run Samsung's 16-megapixel Galaxy S4 Zoom smartphone camera into the ground.

A closer look at the Nokia Lumia 1020 camera app.
(Credit: Sarah Tew/CNET)

We got a chance to try out the Lumia 1020's camera app, which felt lively when fired up, taking photos quickly. Manipulating the Nokia's graphical camera settings was also intuitive once we got the hang of it. We did notice that the phone's fancy Map app took a while to launch and stuttered a bit when we tried the "Here" augmented-reality function.

41 megapixels amounts to a lot of captured information, more than most people can and will really use, but -- as with the Symbian-birthed Nokia 808 PureView before it -- the Lumia 1020's higher megapixel count translates into a 5-megapixel image with lossless zooming for higher-quality cropped photos.

In the Lumia 1020, Nokia is extending this "oversampling" method to video as well, which could mean some really high-fidelity HD captures when you zoom in. It isn't just about images with Nokia. Audio technology that Nokia calls "rich recording" promises to capture clear, distortion-free sound even in loud surroundings.

Design and specs
Of course, the matte white, black, or yellow Lumia 1020 is more than just a camera. Toss the large, round shooter module aside and it looks a lot like the Lumia 920 phones, both in terms of the squared corners and rounded spines, and also its guts.

Close up, there are a few differences between the 2 handsets. When we got a chance to handle the new Lumia 1020 in the flesh, the phone certainly impressed with its build quality and premium feel. Like its predecessor's, the 1020's chassis is a unibody piece molded from high-quality polycarbonate. It also sports similar smoothly rounded edges and a slightly curved back, making it comfortable to hold.

Shutterbugs of all levels can dive into the Nokia Lumia 1020's 41-megapixel camera.

The Lumia 1020 is slightly thinner and lighter than the Lumia 920; that's no mean feat considering the enormous camera. The back of the 1020 also uses a soft-touch coating that feels less slippery than the 920's often-glossy back surface.

The screen on this 4G LTE smartphone has the same familiar 4.5-inch AMOLED PureMotion HD+ display with a 1,280x768-pixel HD display and a 16:9 aspect ratio. Nokia's Clear Black filter lies on top for cutting down outdoor glare. As with the new guard of Lumia phones, this 1020 has an ultrasensitive touch screen that you can operate with your fingernail or gloved hand; the 1020 is new enough to get Gorilla Glass 3 as its topper.

Above the display, a 1.2-megapixel wide-angle front-facing camera sits at the ready to capture shots and HD video.

The 1020 runs on a 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, and has 32GB of internal memory, supplemented by 7GB of SkyDrive cloud storage, courtesy of Microsoft. The phone is sealed in typical high-end Lumia fashion, so there's no expandable memory, though 32GB is a healthy helping.

Nokia has managed to keep the phone fairly thin, coming in at 0.4 inch like the rest of the Lumia line.

You can buy aftermarket Lumia 1020 accessories like a wireless charging cover or this camera grip.

Although the Lumia 1020 will not come with wireless charging built in, you can buy an aftermarket charging cover. You can also pick up a camera grip made for the phone for $79.

Turning up the heat
With its 41-megapixel camera, Nokia's Lumia 1020 absolutely brings the wow factor, proving that Nokia can innovate in its own way, that it is a mobile force to be reckoned with.

Nokia has certainly made good on its promise to produce Windows Phone devices at every price point. Yet with the Lumia 1020 being unveiled so soon after the Lumia 925 global flagship and Verizon's 928 variant, Nokia is now out and out flooding the market.

Still, it's hard not to get excited about a modern smartphone powerful enough to replace your point-and-shoot, and possibly even your dSLR. The $300 asking price is a high 1; we haven't seen costs like this for some years. However, Nokia is betting on folks seeing the value of a true 2-in-1 device and making an investment.

I'd bet on those prices certainly coming down as the months progress, particularly around the holiday season. But before then, we'll have plenty of time to see just how this PureView camera handles.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The Pro Cam app looks amazing! It fixes all the issues with the stock app and more.

I saw my 920 sell for $350 on eBay, seems like the cyan has better resale value.

Only thing that might make me not want to get the 1020 is the fact that a quad core version could be coming out by the end of the year. There's quite a delay between taking pics due to all the processing and dealing with the big file size.

Seems like WPs lack of support for quad core is holding this phone back a little. I'll wait until a review comes out before I decide for sure. I may just get the 1020 and sell it a few months later when the quad core version comes out.

This phone will be $659 out of contract so if I get $350 for my phone it'll be like buying it for $299.

Also the MS online store is hinting that they may sell a $64GB model, maybe I'll get that in yellow.

However this awesome Pro Cam app is coming to the 920 as well so maybe that will be enough to hold me over to wait for the quad core 1020. IDK, we'll see.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I got a 1020 on Friday. Haven't had any great chances to take photos with it but so far I"m really liking it. The Pro Cam app is awesome and it does have a 100Hz and 200Hz audio filter which supposed to be for filtering wind. Don't know how good it is, yet. I went to Busch Gardens today but the weather caused them to shutdown all the rides so I didn't get any chance to test it.

The screen is AMOLED so blacks look amazing though colors don't look right out of the box, there's a strong red push. Fortunately with the WP8 GDR2 + Nokia Amber Update you can customize the colors of the screen and I've been able to fix the red push and now the screen looks great. It's also about 20% lighter than the 920 and slightly thinner. There's other minor tweaks as well, like Gorilla Glass 3, the side buttons are made of aluminum instead of ceramic and the dual stage camera button works great now, it was a little mushy on the 920. I like the new Glance screen and the ability to choose the default camera app.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (08-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Despite the lower lighting level, the Nokia is able to out-perform its rivals by a healthy margin. Fine detail is better maintained and the image is generally "cleaner." This benefit (that comes from a combination of a larger sensor and the noise-reducing effect of downscaling images), is one of the significant advantages of Nokia's decision to use a large sensor in a smartphone. Whether you look at the resolution stripe on the left of the image or the etched portrait on the right, the 1020 is significantly out-performing its rivals.
We can only truly give very a preliminary conclusion at this point based on a day of playing with the device, but we are excited about what we've seen so far.

From an imaging perspective, the Lumia 1020 appears to be just what we'd hoped: a more advanced version of the PureView technology that blew us away when we first saw it on the 808. And this time around, the Lumia 1020 has even more to offer the photographer who wants to use their mobile as a serious camera. From OIS to an even faster lens to that add-on camera grip that nearly had us convinced we were using a "real" camera, the Lumia 1020 seems to offer a lot of potential.
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/130...ia-1020?page=4
Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
maybe this phone will cause developers to port apps to Windows Phone. Lack of my fave apps on Windows Phone is the ONLY thing that keeps me from getting this phone...
Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ant$
maybe this phone will cause developers to port apps to Windows Phone. Lack of my fave apps on Windows Phone is the ONLY thing that keeps me from getting this phone...
But I doubt one phone is going to do this. Only thing that will help is market share. Windows Phone needs at least 10-15% market share for devs to pay attention.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Bryan Biniak, VP and General Manager of Global Partner and App Development at Nokia explained how the Windows Phone ecosystem is growing quickly and most-wanted apps are more the question of "when?" and not "if only."

"We're not having a single conversation with anybody, of any material application that's out there, that isn't going to be coming to the platform. It's not a matter of if -- I had those conversations, the "if" conversations, before -- all of our conversations now are "when." It's maturing, and it's time to come in. By the end of the year, there'll be very few, if any key applications that aren't in the development pipeline... or published."
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokias-brya...-windows-phone

The apps aren't there for everyone but for some (like me) they are...

Lately it seems like there's 1 or 2 big brand official apps either arriving to the platform or being announced as coming soon.

Also it seems that competition is playing a role in this as well. Sigfig came out with a WP app and shortly after Mint announced they were making one now. Vine has announced an official app and I think that will put pressure on Instagram to get a client capable of shooting video on the platform. RoboForm doesn't want Last Pass to be the only password manager on the platform so they're adding support.

Only apps I'd like to see are Amex, Square and surprisingly a decent RDP app. You'd think MS would make one like they did for Windows RT but no.

Though I use my iPad for all those apps so whether they come or not isn't that big of a deal to me.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 07-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Potential first photo of the Nokia Lumia 1520 phablet revealed, dwarfs the Lumia 1020

The Lumia 1520 will feature a huge six-inch 1080P display, a polycarbonate body (not metal) with a 20 MP PureView camera akin to the Lumia 925’s design, specifications that we revealed last week from our verified sources. The device will also feature a quad-core Snapdragon CPU and Windows Phone 8 GDR3 for the new 1080P support
http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia...ed-first-photo
Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Connected Driving

While Nokia continues to work on clawing back some of the once-market-leading smartphone business it has lost in the last few years to Apple and Android handset makers like Samsung, it has also slowly been building out a business based around its mapping and navigation division, rebranded as HERE earlier this year. That strategy — which has seen deals with the likes of Toyota, Volkswagen, BMW and Garmin for its in-car navigation systems — is going into high gear today. Nokia is launching Connected Driving, which included HERE Auto for embedded in-car navigation; HERE Auto Cloud for extra services like real-time traffic updates; and HERE Auto Companion, apps that will make it seamless to link up location data that you want to use or that you’ve created in your car, with what you are doing when you are outside the car and using your smartphone instead. On top of this, it’s upgrading its HERE Traffic system with a new data processing engine called “Halo.”

The launch today, in some regards, represents 1 of Nokia’s biggest challenges yet: it’s pitching itself as an operating system provider for other hardware makers (car companies; in-car system makers) to use as the platform for new products. Call it Nokia’s Android strategy.

Nokia is unveiling this suite of services today at the the International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Germany. As with the rest of the products in HERE, Nokia’s intention is for all of this to be interoperable with different smartphone platforms. What that will mean in theory is that while HERE Auto and Auto Cloud will be loaded on to in-car systems, the apps in the Auto Companion will be launched for multiple platforms, including iOS and Android. In practice, though, Floris van de Klashorst, VP of connected cars for HERE, tells me that it’s likely that we will see the 1st services to be built on the platform that Nokia itself uses for smartphones, Windows Phone.

A rundown of the new services:

HERE Auto. This is Nokia’s embedded in-car navigation service. Using cached content, Nokia says it’s the 1st on the market that provides comprehensive mapping data even when a user doesn’t have a data connection. This includes turn by turn voice guided navigation in 95 countries, as well as 2D, 3D and satellite map views, with street-level imagery. Van de Klashorst tells me that Nokia is now also working on an SDK (yet to be released publicly) that will let third parties integrate services directly into this experience. He pointedly tells me that this will not include ads, which users they have surveyed have said are too distracting in cars. But this doesn’t rule out placing markers, for example, for a particular pizza joint when you are driving by it looking for some Italian food. Other features that are likely to come in by way of the SDK are music services and social networking services (not distracting like ads at all, right?!). Early users of this before the wider release include in-car system maker Continental, which is using them as part of its “Open Infotainment Platform.” I’d expect other app makers and navigation service companies to be added to the list soon.

HERE Auto Cloud. Like HERE Auto, this is also designed to work with and without data connections — useful for when you are in remote areas, or you are in regions where you may be roaming outside of your carrier’s network. This is Nokia’s own layer of extra services around driving — for example real-time traffic updates, helping drivers avoid congested areas, road closures or blockages that occur en route, as well as other services such as recommendations on places to eat, parking spots, information on where to charge an electric vehicle or where to find the most inexpensive fuel.

From the screenshots that Nokia provided to me, it looks like this is 1 of the fruits of its relationship with 4square:

Here Auto Companion. This is the bridge between what Nokia is doing in the car and what it is doing outside of it. The Auto Companion, as Van de Klashorst demonstrated to me, works both on the web and as a mobile app, and it’s actually very cool: what it lets you do is create mapping instructions or take notes of a place that you’d like to visit, when you are sitting at your computer or on your phone, and then, when you get into your HERE-powered car, those data points follow you. If you start a trip in your car, and then park it, you can continue finding your way using your handset. Taking a page from the many apps that let users control what their TVs at home are recording, Nokia says that drivers can also use the app to find their car (using LiveSight augmented reality technology) and check stats for fuel levels and tire pressure. Part of this will be based on the new HALO platform, which basically will gather data using different sensors on the car. This will be used not just for app services for the consumer but to help gather more accurate information about weather in a particular place and more.

For cars that are shared between more than 1 person (say, in a family) each user can have his or her own interface in a vehicle:

Van de Klashorst tells me that the big idea here is to personalize those in-car experiences: “1 thing that is apparent is that people have a strong relationship both with their cars and with their phones, but the in-car systems are ice cold. People cannot influence or modify or personalise them. To make them personal is a very important aspect.”

And when you think about this, it’s a potentially interesting area when you link it up with wider trends in the automotive space, such as with car sharing services like Zipcar. “With car sharing services, this car that you don’t own becomes your car. Systems like this once will be a very important part of elevating and experience to make it your own,” he notes.

Apart from the challenges of competing against other smartphone players (including Google, Apple and BlackBerry) who also have stakes in the automotive game — Apple already has integrations with several car makers and there are often rumors swirling of how this will expand over time; Google has gone so far as to create self-driving vehicles; and BlackBerry has QNX — Nokia is doing this from a position that is not without its own challenges. In Nokia’s last quarterly earnings, Here posted sales of $305 million, down 18% over last year, up 8% on the previous quarter and it remains loss-making, with a $116 million operating deficit, which is at least marginally better than the $120 million a year ago.

Still, Nokia has in its hands a very key asset: it holds 1 of the biggest databases of mapping information in the world, meaning it doesn’t need to rely on 3rd parties for it. 1 even with its many layoffs, it still employs hundreds of engineers that are thinking of clever ways of using that to Nokia’s advantage. Nokia has nothing to lose by trying to get out into pole position in this space at this still-early stage in the connected car revolution.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Marketshare

Over a quarter of a billion smartphones shipped in Q3 2013. Compared to Q3 2012, this represents a 44 percent year-over-year increase.

The latest figures come from Canalys, an independent analyst firm which found Samsung and Apple managed to maintain their positions for smartphone shipments in Q3 2013, with market shares of 34 percent and 15 percent, respectively. Huawei, Lenovo and LG rounded out the top 5.

Shipments of large-screen (5″ and above) smartphones reached their highest ever level, accounting for 22 percent of shipments (56 million units). Canalys says this trend continues to be driven mainly by Samsung, which dominates the large-screen segment. Breaking down the figure further, 66 percent of the 56 million smartphones had a 5″ display, 31 percent had screens between 5″ and 6″, and 3 percent had 6″ screens or larger.

As for the platform wars, Android and iOS shares were static sequentially. Microsoft’s Windows Phone, however, managed to increase its share of the market to 4 percent. This represents a year-over-year increase in shipments of 185 percent to 9.2 million units in Q3 2013.

More interestingly, Windows Phone placed as the 2nd biggest OS in 19 countries, including Finland, with a 39 percent share, Vietnam (16 percent), Italy (15 percent), Thailand (11 percent), Turkey (11 percent), and Russia (8 percent).

“Nokia’s new Lumia handsets will help shore up this position in the holiday quarter, but Microsoft and Nokia must ensure that momentum is kept up well into the New Year as the acquisition goes through to completion,” Canalys Analyst Jessica Kwee said in a statement. The rise of Windows Phone during this past quarter is a trend we reported about in Europe already, but now it looks like it is more widespread than that.

Unsurprisingly, Greater China (China, Hong Kong and Taiwan) again grew the most (64 percent), with nearly 100 million units shipping. The region now accounts for 39 percent of the global market. Latin America had the 2nd highest growth rate, at 59 percent, though it is the smallest region, with 19 million units shipped.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Audio

As an industry 1st, the Nokia Lumia 1520 includes four high-performance digital mics for directional stereo recording and for a stunning audio experience in videos.

Hear the directional mic capabilities of the Nokia Lumia 1520 in action (if you have headphones, plug them in now). This live performance by Niila of his song “Bottle of Wine” was captured using 6 Nokia Lumia 1520 prototypes (and, the video was edited in Adobe Premiere with no adjustments to the audio quality):

It started this past summer with the release of the Nokia Lumia 1020, showing us all so much more than our eyes could see. Now, with the release of the Nokia Lumia 1520, you will be in a position to both see more, and hear more than ever before.

“Nokia has been pioneering in mobile phone audio for decades,” says Heikki Sassi, head of the audio technology management team for Lumia. “To take the imaging experience to the next level in videos, audio has become a very important part of the story.”

The Nokia Lumia 1520 includes the Nokia Rich Recording capability found in the Lumia 1020, and it goes a step further with the use of 4 high-performance digital microphones for directional stereo recordings.

Directional recording enhances the clarity of your recordings by rejecting the sounds outside the direction of capture. In other words, the sounds in front of the camera are recorded in best possible way.

“Previously, if you wanted audio recording capabilities like this you would need to buy a professional video camera or external mics to do the job. Nokia is the 1st company to introduce 4 microphone directional stereo recording in a camera phone,” Heikki says.

Nokia Rich Recording

The Nokia Rich Recording functionality found in the Lumia 1520 is based on High Amplitude Audio Capture microphones, combined with Nokia’s state-of-the-art audio capture algorithms and acoustics design to get the very best recordings possible.

You can capture the full hearing range from the lowest bass to the highest treble (ca. 20Hz to 20 KHz in frequency spectrum).

“None of the other smartphone microphone solutions out there cover this bandwidth in all conditions. The sound is either distorted or bandwidth limited,”
Heikki notes.

Unlike competitor devices, when using the Lumia 1520 you can record more than 6X louder sound levels than conventional mics. “You can go to the loudest rock concerts, and you will not get any distortion in your recordings,” he says. “The quality is amazing.”

Combine this audio recording capability with the imaging features of the Lumia 1520, and you will be able to create videos (dare we even say “movies”) like never before.

“It has been said that music is 50% of the movie-watching experience. On a 6-inch screen, maybe it is more like 75%,” Heikki suggests.

Directional stereo recording

In the Lumia 1020, you have Nokia Rich Recording combined with 2 mics for omni-directional recording to take in the sound all around you (whether in front of you or behind you). With the 4 microphone directional stereo recording included in the Lumia 1520, you are recording the sounds in the front of the camera, while attenuating unwanted sounds from other directions.

There is also a great sense of direction in your recordings, such as someone walking around you. “You can easily tell which direction sounds are coming from – either with headphones or speakers – it adds a sense of immersion, and being there.”

At the same time, those 4 mics are used for other purposes in the device, including advanced noise-reduction in wideband and standard voice calls.

Making the most of all 4 mics

You might think that having 4 mics built in to Lumia 1520 poses a problem for how to properly hold the device. You don’t want to accidentally cover up one of the microphones. Heikki assures us that the mics have been positioned so that they are ergonomically in the best place possible, and that you won’t inadvertently block them with your fingers.

Finally, the capabilities of Nokia Rich Recording open up great possibilities for the app developer community, too. “We have thought about this and we are looking into possibilities for unlocking the capabilities for app developers too”, Heikki tells us.

Learn more about high quality audio recording in Nokia Lumia smartphones in this whitepaper.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:59 AM
Safety Car

Arrow 8.3

https://nokiamob.net/2020/10/11/vide...t-impressions/

Video: Nokia 8.3 Unboxing and First Impressions

Abdulla | 11/10/2020 | NOKIA, Phones | 51 CommentsNokia 8.3 5GNo, we didn’t get it yet. Our Nokia 8.3 5G is being unboxed and tested by diligent employees of Royal Mail. The phone was shipped by Nokia mobile (huge thanks!) on September 25th, and it is still somewhere in the UK, probably tagged as dangerous or smuggled goods . So, our good guy and obviously super-wealthy Youtuber Abdulla couldn’t wait for us to unbox it and ordered a Nokia 8.3 5G for himself from China Hong Kong and got it delivered in just three days by DHL (bloody German efficiency). He immediately did an unboxing and first impressions video of the second most expected Nokia device in 2020. Do enjoy the video and also an inpatient version of Abdulla, and be kind and subscribe to his channel. Also, we’d like to do a test and see how quickly we can push a Nokia Youtuber, which is a rare kind today, to 100K subscribers .

It’s finally here. I don’t know if I’m dreaming, but I finally managed to get my hands on the Nokia 8.3 5G. It feels like it was almost a past lifetime when this thing was officially announced and I was hyped to get my hands on it. Since then though, many different phones came out with similar specs, and many of them seem to have completely undercut the Nokia 8.3 5G in price. But does the Nokia have a triumph card it can use to justify its existence? I’ll save that for my full review, but for the time being here is my unboxing video:
It’s longer than what I anticipated, but I tried to cover as many aspects of the phone as possible for potential buyers to get a good idea of what they can expect. Here are my findings so far:
  • I was expecting a big phone, but I was still surprised by how big this thing actually is. The Nokia 8.3 5G is bigger in size than the Note 20 Ultra from Samsung. If you want a compact phone, this isn’t it.
  • The build quality seems superb. As expected, this phone feels very nice to hold. It feels expensive thanks to how dense it is at 220 grams, but it also feels durable. This is one of the aspects that Nokia Mobile has been nailing for the past few years.
  • The color is very nice in person. The cyan/teal shade only pops up under light and its mesmerizing to look at.
  • The display is also very nice. At this price point I want a higher refresh rate than 60Hz, but other than it lacking the extraordinary, this display is really nice to look at.
  • Performance so far has been flagship-grade. Speed, smoothness, transitions are all fluid. I’m rocking the 8/128GB version though so keep that in mind.
  • Speaker is loud and crisp, but I need to test more to see how well it handles different tones.
  • The camera at first glance seems good as well. From my early snaps, the main shooter has an impressive dynamic range, and the wide-angle camera is flagship-grade. Will have to test more to see how well they handle low light situations.
  • There are many different settings for video, and this is something I was waiting for from Nokia mobile for a very long time. H-log, 21:9 video, action cam, pro settings are all present. Unfortunately, though, there is no 4K/60fps option for recording, and for some reason, the front camera can shoot 2k/60fps while the main camera can shoot either 4k/30fps or 1080p/60fps.
  • The software is Android One as you would expect. The phone launches with Android 10 out of the box. The contribution of Nokia mobile to the software is the camera app, PureDisplay, display color temperature, double-tap to wake up, and fingerprint scrolling.
  • The fingerprint so far is quite quick and reliable. I like the side-mounted positioning of it as well.
  • The vibration motor is on point.
  • The biggest omissions are lack of IPS water resistance rating, lack of high refresh rate, and no wireless charging.
Overall, my first impressions are quite positive as you can see since the phone seems to have nailed the basics, but the devil is always in the details. This phone is not cheap, and even though I bought it for around $600, people expect a bit more. In my opinion, if the camera can live up to the PureView branding, this phone might have a chance.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Reuters