Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Nextel Users - New Phone Info

Old 06-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Nextel Users - New Phone Info

So there's been speculation that a whole bunch of new phones were due out soon for Nextel.

I couldn't wait anymore so I got the new i836 which is a great phone.

But when I bought a couple accessories for it, one of the accessories listed models it was compatible with that aren't even on the market yet. So basically, it looks like they've inadvertantly leaked out what the new model #'s for their new phones will be. When I showed this information to the clerk even he was shocked.

Well the new model #'s should be:

i560
i760
i733
i736
i850

And from what I know these are newer models because the adapter I purchased doesn't work with older phones so the #'s above can't be older phones.

So for you nextel users that have been awaiting new phones. They are on the way, just don't know when.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want the i930 :|
Old 06-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nextel sucks.

* > NEXTEL

Horrible service and coverage and pisspoor battery life on my i730. The only positive is that the comapny pays for this piece of shit.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:40 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love my nextel

i use it a lot for work

i get 20% off my rate with Enterprise since i work for them, 30% off phone and 25% off accessories

not bad

i hated at&t and verizon no signal at all and shitty cust care

nextel, cust care is on top of it all, no wait time at all and corp cust care is even better no wait time
Old 06-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 97Acura3.0CL
i love my nextel

i use it a lot for work

i get 20% off my rate with Enterprise since i work for them, 30% off phone and 25% off accessories

not bad

i hated at&t and verizon no signal at all and shitty cust care

nextel, cust care is on top of it all, no wait time at all and corp cust care is even better no wait time

Unfortunately the only discount I get is 10% of my monthly plan for the employer I work with but that's enough.

I've been with Nextel for nearly 3 years now and have had no problems.

Their customer service is top notch. When I've had to talk to them, they've always taken care of me

In a recent survey Nextel was rated #2 is all around service. Verizon was #1. Sprint #3, T-Mobile was 4, and Cingular dead last. This survey was done before the Nextel/Spring Merger.

So if anything because of that Nextel has now become even better, Their coverage area has expanded, They will have a wider phone selection. People can't complain that their phones are too big anymore. All of their plans to my knowledge have free roaming which is Unheard of with ANY of the other providers.

In my opinion

Nextel > *
Old 06-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joedokes28
Nextel sucks.

* > NEXTEL

Horrible service and coverage and pisspoor battery life on my i730. The only positive is that the comapny pays for this piece of shit.
Service:

They are rated #2 behind verizon in terms of all around service.

Coverage:

Nextel has one of the widest coverage areas of ALL the service providers. They offer FREE roaming on all their plans from what I know. And in addition now because of the merger with Sprint, their coverage area expanded even more.

Battery:

I think it's HILARIOUS when people complain about a phone's battery life when they don't realize that most phones with tiny batteries tend to last shorter amounts of time. This may not be the case with you but....

You could have found out BEFORE you buy the phone what the amount of time the battery can last. In addition a large majority of people don't know how to take care of their batteries and in turn it damages it and reduces the holding capacity of the battery so it doesn't last as long. So if you thought that the 2 hrs of talk time for your phone was ok, but then it started reducing, it probably was becuase of improper charging on your part.

They always say with any type of battery whether its for your laptop, phone, or any other device that you should try to drain it as much as you can before you start to recharge it.

So before you knock the battery or the service provider, Either way you look at it, you were in full control of the problem because you were aware of the battery life prior to buying it. And if it messed up afterwards it was probably due to improper charging. And if wasn't due to that, your warranty should have covered it.

Last edited by slyraskal; 06-18-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I have both a NEXTEL phone (for work) and a personal phone (Verizon). Around here (DC Metro area) NEXTEL's coverage is a joke. I hardly get a signal within my own office building with the NEXTEL. Many more dropped calls with the NEXTEL. Although the "direct connect" feature is great; I don't think I've ever used it without having to say at least once "you were breaking up there" or "I couldn't hear all you said, try again."
Old 06-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slyraskal
Service:

Coverage:

Nextel has one of the widest coverage areas of ALL the service providers. They offer FREE roaming on all their plans from what I know. And in addition now because of the merger with Sprint, their coverage area expanded even more.

Battery:

I think it's HILARIOUS when people complain about a phone's battery life when they don't realize that most phones with tiny batteries tend to last shorter amounts of time. This may not be the case with you but....

You could have found out BEFORE you buy the phone what the amount of time the battery can last. In addition a large majority of people don't know how to take care of their batteries and in turn it damages it and reduces the holding capacity of the battery so it doesn't last as long. So if you thought that the 2 hrs of talk time for your phone was ok, but then it started reducing, it probably was becuase of improper charging on your part.

They always say with any type of battery whether its for your laptop, phone, or any other device that you should try to drain it as much as you can before you start to recharge it.

So before you knock the battery or the service provider, Either way you look at it, you were in full control of the problem because you were aware of the battery life prior to buying it. And if it messed up afterwards it was probably due to improper charging. And if wasn't due to that, your warranty should have covered it.
First, it's a comapny phone. It was issued to me, I had no say.

My comapny went from verizon to nextel. We have 90 phones at my site and over 1000 nation wide. Nextel won't put up a real antenna, just repeaters which dont work. At my site, I had 100% coverage with verizon and no repeaters. With nextel and 10 repeaters, I have about 30% coverage. We continue to have surveys and they can't get it right or figure it out.

This is not good service not to mention that we are paying nearly double for the company plan over Verizon. We were sold on the PTT feature which verizon had, but we didn't expect our phone to say "No Service" 70% of the time. We will hopefully be dumping them in a few months when the contract runs out.

On batter life, my Motorolla V60 lasted for three days on a charge. My 730i, lasts for less than 24hrs.

The best part of it all, is that I don't have service at my house in Central Phx, and I don't have coverage at my office, also in Central phoenix.

What a joke.

Last edited by joedokes28; 06-18-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

The argument about smaller batteries is a joke. For work I still have a i700 Plus as my work phone. The office manager is too lazy to figure out how to upgrade and we have a stockpile of them for when the ones in service break.

This is the size of my battery (not actual size, but it is about 5-6 inches long):

On stand-by (no talking) it will last 3 days. If I talk on it for 30-60 minutes throughout the day it will need to be charged that night. Otherwise it will be dead by 10am the next day.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Team Owner

Oh and I agree about the "repeaters" nonsense too. I was doing a survey in a building located in the middle of Washington, DC that had a NEXTEL repeater located on the roof of the building. I didn't have service. However, I could use my personal Verizon phone to call the office. NEXTEL just doesn't live up to what it should be. "Direct-Connect" is an awesome feature that no other company has (or has figured out without a ridiculous delay). However, their coverage sucks.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by slyraskal
Service:

Coverage:

Battery:

Almost every company offers No Roaming at normal fees or very very minimal fees, and about Sprint and Nextel Getting together, the merger hasnt even happened, they are on two different networks, Sprint - CDMA, and Nextel - iDen, so how would your reception or coverage improve? And whats Number 2 behind Verizon Mean? and how do they have the Widest Coverage area's?

Also There customer service
Mon-Fri: 7:00am - 10:00pm (Local Time); Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (Local Time

And Closed Sundays? I have had customers make a payment with me and had tons of trouble and couldnt talk to Customer Service till Monday at 7 AM while there phone was out since Saturday.

They arent a bad company, but there coverage is not the best, the free incoming and walkie talkie is great.

Also in the batteries nowadays, you do not have to drain them.

Sad to say, I am gonna start being a dealer for them, as they have a high demand because low deposits, so low credit people are getting on it like crazy.

Not starting any fight just saying I disagree with my fellow desi in many diff ways :-D
Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Race Director

Nextel is an awesome company.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
My battery never died yet on my i860, and I even went more than 24 hours by forgetting to plug my phone in to charge. Service wise, I'm 75% happy, it does get annoying when you get into some dead zones, but I deal with it, I guess..
Old 06-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nextel = radio first phone second....

If your looking for a radio...hey i cant say anything, they have mastered it....anything eles they have sucks...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shoofin
My battery never died yet on my i860, and I even went more than 24 hours by forgetting to plug my phone in to charge. Service wise, I'm 75% happy, it does get annoying when you get into some dead zones, but I deal with it, I guess..
HAHA, I know you hate Nextel ED, quit covering up, I know how they screwed you on some bill and you hate there service, Just admit it and let it out lol
Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 AM
o-qua tangin wann

nextel blows

i got rid of it, but we use them at work so i'm still stuck with a shitty phone and provider (at least only during work )

we barely get reception in the office, you usually cant sit in your chair w/ it and have it work, you'll have to get up away from your desk into the hallway or by a window to get service which defeats the whole purpose of fast reliable communication / productivity

nextel news :whocares: next news i wanna hear from them is that they went bankrupt