Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New phone-unfortunately

Old 12-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
New phone-unfortunately

Well.............

I reluctantly (kicking and screaming really) upgraded my phone to one of those "smart" phones. Suppliers, customers, and employees were all becoming angry because of my knowing, and therefore enjoyed, inaccessibility, and I now find myself with an electronic leash.

Bought one of those Blackberry Curve 8330 things. I understand it's been on the market for about a year, but Telus gave me a great cash deal on it. I refuse to enter onto any sort of contract, and go month to month.

Any thoughts? Advice? Recommendations? It just sits there, mocking me.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the BB world Terry!

If you haven't already, check out crackberry:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/
Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Let the addiction begin! Once you figure out you can post here from anywhere, its a whole other world!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by litesout
Let the addiction begin! Once you figure out you can post here from anywhere, its a whole other world!
Something's telling me Terry isn't that kind of guy

"It just sits there"

It may be a useful tool, you never know...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
why didn't you just get an updated "regular" phone?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
i swear im developing a weird anxiety disorder everytime mine goes off. its just an instant ahhhhhhhhhh what the hell am i going to have to do now. btw i have an 8310 from rogers which is the same device just different network. outside of email and bbm it's pretty useless, and the buttons are way to small.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by SG81
why didn't you just get an updated "regular" phone?
push email
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the world of "ugh, i gotta take out the battery to reset my phone"
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
i swear im developing a weird anxiety disorder everytime mine goes off. its just an instant ahhhhhhhhhh what the hell am i going to have to do now. btw i have an 8310 from rogers which is the same device just different network. outside of email and bbm it's pretty useless, and the buttons are way to small.
I felt that way about the Nextel beep at work. I used to hear it in my sleep. But then, don't even get me started on the blood pressure spike when my pager went off...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
push email
true
Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
The Green Button will answer calls and the Red Button hangs up on the people you are talking to....

/Thread
Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
nice paperweight
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iphone
Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by litesout
LOL +1 seriously

http://www.blackberryforums.com/
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by wndrlst
I felt that way about the Nextel beep at work. I used to hear it in my sleep. But then, don't even get me started on the blood pressure spike when my pager went off...
I notice too that I'm starting to experience phantom vibrations, like my phone will be on my desk but I swear I can feel it on my belt when it's not even going off.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I don't like it.

It sat on my desk for a while, and I wondered why I wasn't getting any e-mails, while my computer received them with no problem.

I phoned the Telus help desk and explained the situation. Apparently, activating and setting it up are two different things. I did not know this.

After accessing my account, the help desk asked for may password. I responded that I didn't even know I had one. They asked how I receive e-mail in my office, and I responded I merely clicked on the "stamp" thing. *silence*

They then told me I would need a password, and directed me to another part of the help desk, which really wasn't too helpful at all. After a number of minutes I was issued a new password. I was told not to forget it. Out of curiosity, they asked how I was receiving my messages while away from my computer. I mentioned I had someone who clicked on the stamp thing while I was away, and then called me if there was anything I should know about. Apparently, this is not a good idea.

I was then transferred to another part of help desk to "set up" my e-mail account. After waiting another half hour, I spoke to someone who evidently knew less than I did about these things, and the conversation finally ended with me hanging up. I phoned back the help desk, and asked for the person who originally helped me. I gave the extension and was placed on hold for another half hour.

After being assisted by the original representative, I was told to enjoy my new Blackberry. Shortly after I find out that RIM is experiencing an outage and my new Blackberry will not work at the moment.

No........, I'm not really enjoying it at all.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Originally Posted by teranfon
Any thoughts? Advice? Recommendations? It just sits there, mocking me.
Bring the BB to your dealer, or a Telus dealer if you bought it over the web, and have the staff set up the phone for you.
Might as well have them transfer over any data/info from the old phone, too.

Change the password(s) when you get home, if that is a concern.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Oh, Terry, I'm sorry, but I can't help it! I'm envisioning the help desk's response at "clicking on the stamp thing..."

Don't worry, you'll hate it even more once it's actually set up.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Earth-bound misfit

I notice too that I'm starting to experience phantom vibrations, like my phone will be on my desk but I swear I can feel it on my belt when it's not even going off.
Yes. It's awful.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Though I set my razr to vibrate, it doesn't, it will still ring. Now I just leave it on my desk. That phantom crap has gone away.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I get the phantom vibe all the time. Drives me nuts.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question I don't want to do it!!!

I don't like it.

It sat on my desk for a while, and I wondered why I wasn't getting any e-mails, while my computer received them with no problem.

I phoned the Telus help desk and explained the situation. Apparently, activating and setting it up are two different things. I did not know this.

After accessing my account, the help desk asked for may password. I responded that I didn't even know I had one. They asked how I receive e-mail in my office, and I responded I merely clicked on the "stamp" thing. *silence*

They then told me I would need a password, and directed me to another part of the help desk, which really wasn't too helpful at all. After a number of minutes I was issued a new password. I was told not to forget it. Out of curiosity, they asked how I was receiving my messages while away from my computer. I mentioned I had someone who clicked on the stamp thing while I was away, and then called me if there was anything I should know about. Apparently, this is not a good idea.

I was then transferred to another part of help desk to "set up" my e-mail account. After waiting another half hour, I spoke to someone who evidently knew less than I did about these things, and the conversation finally ended with me hanging up. I phoned back the help desk, and asked for the person who originally helped me. I gave the extension and was placed on hold for another half hour.

After being assisted by the original representative, I was told to enjoy my new Blackberry. Shortly after I find out that RIM is experiencing an outage and my new Blackberry will not work at the moment.

this is exactly why! who needs this!? tech support, on hold, things are not synced correctly! I don't need another computer device that stresses me out!!! i have a verizon plan on an LG vx 8000! wife has some lg b.s. freebie. Anyway, my cell is a great phone, but i now need a smart phone for mobile business needs to manage websites, ebay, emails etc. I have been putting it off because of what Terry just described as "CELL HELL " and all the other problems! NICE CRACKBERRY OUTAGE THE LAST 2 DAYS!!! ANYBODY'S BUSINESS AFFECTED BY THAT? Unfortunately i have to do this! It has finally caught up to me!!! I just read you can't attache a photo to an email with the Droid? Does any one have the droid and uses it to manage their ebay site , or e-commerce site? i need to have the tactile / physical keyboard. i tried my buddies pre with the touch screen which was sweet! but trying to type out a long email was torture! also a major time stealer unless you are very proficient with the touch screen. i like the Eris too, but need more processing power. I have sensory overload from reading all this crap!!! plus in 4 months another phone comes out you want instead! a little like our cars! i want to stay w/ verizon, but the droid is almost useless if you can't attache a pic to an email! i do it all day long from my pc! NEED HELP!!! DON'T KNOW IF THEY FIXED THE PIC TO EMAIL PROBLEM on the droid? anyone with the droid chime in! thanks in advance!!! i checked the droid forums and couldn't find anything but the top 10 things the droid does not do!!! GREAT!!Steve. P.S. some old woman totaled my honda's rear end LAST MONTH AT LIKE 40-50 MPH!, if your interested check my garage pics! IT NEVER ENDS!!!! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! everyone be safe and have a great time!!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
^ Spam?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like it.

Damn. Welcome to the future Terry. lol
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
^+1

and don't worry about it terry, that's what tech support is for. Trust me there is people that have no idea what is going on, and there is always someone that knows less than you
that's why i hated tech support, couldn't see what the person was looking at or clicking on, but most things are written out step by step for the tech support guys, with pictures lol
and yes, most people that do tech support are pretty young, don't know a whole lot, and generally don't care about doing a good job

Good Luck

Last edited by mitch14; 12-29-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm getting used to it. Kind of. I still carry my old Sammy flip phone most of the time, but when I'm away for a few hours I carry the BB. I've figured out how to receive me e-mails on it, so I suppose it's doing what it's supposed to do.

I still feel like I've acquired an electronic leash.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank God mine is for personal use, not work. My company does not pay for my phone, so I do not have work email set up on it.