Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

New old laptop for a month (panther impressions)

Old 01-08-2004 | 08:30 PM
The hair says it all

New old laptop for a month (panther impressions)

Ok well we all know i hate apple, or at least scrib and that other person i was arguing with in the ipod forum know i do. for my internship in my senior year. im working for the elementary schools and they gave me this:

it had os 9.2 and theres nothing worse then the devil....that is except for os9.2

so i loaded up panther on this 400mhz 384 mb ram 6 gig hard drive w/ dvd drive beast and i am soooo impressed.

panther install is amazing, verifies media and gives you much more detail, letting you know what its doing. Expose fixes one of the 2 major problems i have with aqua, which is that it takes forever to switch windows. let me tell you, i will never be able to use 10.2 agian without expose. Oh btw, this laptop is solid like you wouldn't belive. you would think that because its 4 years old it might not run so well, it runs panther perfectly (it COULD be faster but i dont mind).

i had an airport card put in it (i got one of my friends in the tech dept to insatll it) and it works easily on my network, wired and wireless.

i tried ichat AV and its really nice, though i have been unsuccessful in getting audio or video to work.

I took pictures with my camera and plugged it in. recognition was faster then my pc and it installed itself without my knowledge much much faster then my pc (2800+ xp). got into photohost and hit "add file" and selected my pictures. when i selected the picture it gave me a preview and plenty of info before i hit "select"

i really like how everything works, and trust me, i dont like macs so thats a compliment. this laptop is so great that even though its pretty old it still impresses me. totally different experience from ones in my past, but i always say, i would never buy an apple except for a notebook!

best wishes apple zealots (aka scrib )

and excuse my typos ALL over the place
Old 01-08-2004 | 09:27 PM
The Third Ball

Not hating apple so much any more are we

That G3 powerbook is about 3-4 (6 years) generations old, and the fact that it runs so well is a testament to apples machine not outdating as quickly as older PCs used to (no i am not bashing pc's, but it is one of the reasons i switched.)

Btw if you want to get techie you can buy a G4 board for that thing and upgrade it even further. The one thing i give those older G3 books over the G4s it they feel more durable. But just image what new top of the line G4 Aluminum PB must be like

Panther is an amazing OS and the only reason iChat might be giving you trouble is a firewall or router might be interfering, cause i get the same problem, but I am the only one, AV runs perfect for all my other friends.

Anyway, have fun with it, maybe you'll end up a dual user. Cheers.

PS: learn all the quick key shortcuts, youll be able to switch windows in a snap
Old 01-08-2004 | 10:39 PM
The hair says it all

i still think that its good as a laptop, but i couldn't imagine using it for a desktop because its not as fast doing everything at the sacrafice of looking good.

for some reason the touch pad feels more natural on this then the newer g4's. oh the laptops mine for only a month so i wont upgrade.

i would get an apple for college but because im going into engineering they make us buy their laptop. last year it was a pretty good lattitude, so im not too worried.
Old 01-08-2004 | 10:42 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

har har... A new believer/convert.

Apple dumps an enormous amout of money and talent into it's engineering programs. Hence a higher quality product. I sincerely believe apple could take on microsoft if they would port MAC OS to windows x86 processors. But they won't do it because of what happened when apple allowed cheap clones to be made (they lost lots of money)

I'm glad for you having this experience, a lot of PC users would not admit even the slightest bit of acknowledgement that apple does produce a nice product. Ususally all I hear is, "Mac sux!" When they have never touched one in their life
Old 01-08-2004 | 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Glad you like it

I'm even more impressed that you were open minded about the whole thing. Most people just claim the Mac sucks when they've never even used one, or if they have it's been at school where they're horribly configured/maintained.