Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Need a new mouse, but which one??

Old 11-29-2001, 11:23 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need a new mouse, but which one??

My current mouse is going south pretty soon.. and I am in need of a new mouse... but don't know which one I should go for...

1. Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical

2. MS Intelli Explorer

3. MS Cordless Intelli Explorer

I am a bit concern about cordless though... I have a set of Cordless Desktop from Logitech, and there seems to be input lags... especially when playing fast pace games like Q3A, UT or Wolfenstein...

Any one has experience with those??

Andy Kuo
Old 11-29-2001, 11:41 PM
Banned

2 or 3. I heard the cordless Intellimouse has NO lag...its just charging the batteries get to be a pain the in the butt...

I'd personally go with the corded...
Old 11-29-2001, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I've got the optical mouse and I love it!... Maybe I'll upgrade and get the cordless optical mouse... I especially like the back and forward buttons on the sides by the thumb and pinky...it's for web use and saves the time of having to move the mouse up to the top of explorer to go forward or backwards...It's awesome!

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/ie_info.asp
Ed
Old 11-30-2001, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a sony digicam or Mp3 player? Because if you do my Sony opitical mouse is nice. It has a slot for the memory sticks and it's comfortable.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:44 AM
Pro

Re: Need a new mouse, but which one??

why dont u try the MS intellimouse Optical. Whereas the explorer has the side buttons both on the left side, the intellimouse optical has an extra button on each side. I just heard that the side buttons on the explorer are easy to click by accident. ok bye
Old 11-30-2001, 05:17 PM
Pro

Talking

If you have kids,don't buy cordless because they will throw it into the toilet
Old 11-30-2001, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Optical mouses are nice
Old 11-30-2001, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by evolaerok
Do you have a sony digicam or Mp3 player? Because if you do my Sony opitical mouse is nice. It has a slot for the memory sticks and it's comfortable.
Thats the mouse i want. Really cool. But that one Ed posted is starting to look real good. I like the forward/back button thingys for the web.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:49 PM
Advanced

I have both the Intellimouse Explorer, and just recently upgraded to the wireless,

ALSO: I have 2 extras BRAND NEW of the following for sale:

INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER 3.0 RETAIL BOX SEALED

WIRELESS INTELLIMOUSE EXPLORER RETAIL BOX SEALED

I managed to get an extra of each...make an offer...im in central jersey willing to ship or deliver if its real close

-Liron
Old 11-30-2001, 10:21 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Get the MS Intelli Explorer mouse. I just got it and I love it. Has a forward and backward buttons on the mouse.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:33 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

I have an Intellimouse Optical, and if I could buy another mouse, I would get the Logitech Dual Optical instead. There are some issues with the Optical mouse in 98 and ME (although XP fixed this for me) such as poor tracking on rapid lateral movement, cursor jumping etc. Also, the shape of the MS mouse is akward if you have larger hands.

The Dual Optical pickup of the Logitech would also be advantageous if you're into FPS games (like Counterstrike ) as it is undoubtedly more accurate (3-dimensional tracking) than the single optical pickup of the Intellimouse.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:15 PM
Drifting

I agree with carfreak. I wouldnt get an optical though... even though I heard there is no lagw whatsoever.. i never actually used it to see if its true.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by SergeTL02
I agree with carfreak. I wouldnt get an optical though... even though I heard there is no lagw whatsoever.. i never actually used it to see if its true.
The mouse CarFreak is talking about is an optical one, and I love them, much more pecise and accurate, no crud buildup in the mouse to worry about.

The forward and backward buttons are great too
Old 12-01-2001, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

The mouse CarFreak is talking about is an optical one, and I love them, much more pecise and accurate, no crud buildup in the mouse to worry about.

The forward and backward buttons are great too
whoops... sorry i meant to say cordless.. I agree... optical mouses are great.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:59 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Thnx for the comments.... for now, I narrow them down to 2 after reading some reviews..

1. Logitech Dual Optical

2. IntelliMouse 3.0

I have a set of Cordless KB/Mouse from Logitech, although they are great for normal use, they lag when playing games.... and the lag seems to be more and more apparent over a period of time(worn out internal parts maybe??)...

So far, it seems Dual Optical tracks better(any where between 800DPI - 1600 DPI), while IntelliMouse tracks at about 400DPI.... both are on sale at the same price.... but from experience, MS Mouse usually lasts longer(Logitech Mouse buttons feel as if they gonna fall off after couple years)...

SIGH decision, decision....

Andy Kuo
Old 12-01-2001, 10:32 PM
Drifting

couple of years???? dude!!! how long are u planning to keep ur mouse??? ir is it gonna be like with ur computer.. ull wait for all of us to buy something new.. and go and get a better one? let me know which one u gonna get.. cause ill get one too.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it
Ed
P.S. I love it
Old 12-02-2001, 02:31 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Originally posted by SergeTL02
couple of years???? dude!!! how long are u planning to keep ur mouse??? ir is it gonna be like with ur computer.. ull wait for all of us to buy something new.. and go and get a better one? let me know which one u gonna get.. cause ill get one too.
HEHE... Believe it or not... my MS 2 button mouse upstairs has been with me since 1994... it still works flawlessly!!! However, the one I am using now(Logitech MouseMan+, the first MouseMan back in 1996, I think)is going south pretty soon.... cursor skips, buttons feel as if they gonna fall off any time soon.... scroll wheel is loose and not sensitive....

I think I gonna go with Logitech Dual Optical for its higher DPI(I play a lot of FPS games, and it should help in Wolfenstein... hehe)

Andy Kuo
Old 12-02-2001, 07:19 PM
Advanced

One more to consider...

Originally posted by AKRY
Thnx for the comments.... for now, I narrow them down to 2 after reading some reviews..

1. Logitech Dual Optical

2. IntelliMouse 3.0

I have a set of Cordless KB/Mouse from Logitech, although they are great for normal use, they lag when playing games.... and the lag seems to be more and more apparent over a period of time(worn out internal parts maybe??)...

Andy,

I have a Logitech Freedom Optical KB and mouse. Love em for everyday stuff like surfing, graphics, coding, etc. However, when I'm ready to throw down with some TFC, then I break out the Razer Boomslang 2000 It does have a ball but because of a very close fitting rubber gasket, picks up very little dirt. I also use a Ratpadz mouse pad (kinda like one of those plastic kitchen cutting boards, but thinner and beveled edges) The difference btw the two mice are similar to the difference btw a stock TL-P and a TL-S. One is really good and the other just plain rocks! The Boomslang does take some getting used to because of its unusual shape but the accuracy is unreal. Your milage, of course, may vary.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:45 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Dennis,

Thnx for the recommendation.... went out and look for Boomslang 2000 today.... it seems no one is carry one locally, and some EB stores do have them, but some how they are all beat up(Looks it got run over by the delivery truck... LOL).... anyways, I got a good deal on Logitech Dual Optical($52 US, included 14% tax)... so, I went for Dual Optical instead...

Thnx again...

Andy Kuo