Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Motorola Atrix

Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Not having a bootloader/ROM is really that much of a dealbreaker? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what the capabilities are on an Android phone post-root/whatever are, though I'm sure there are plenty of positives. Free apps? After some googling I heard that a bootloader or ROM could void your warranty, is it detectable?

EDIT: nevermind, I found this: http://lifehacker.com/#!5596108/how-...id-rom-for-you

So you can make your phone faster, more stable, remove bloatware, add some new features? Anything else?

Maybe I'm just a lazy ass. Keeping up with JB updates and what worked and what was safe with each new patch from Apple was annoying IMO. I liked to plug it in, update it and go. Near the end the most use I got out of the JB was the custom UI, custom text tone and a free TomTom app

All I know is my old JB'd 3GS is now a fancy paperweight and my sister's old non-JB'd 3GS which I'm now using is perfectly fine.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Not having a bootloader/ROM is really that much of a dealbreaker? Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what the capabilities are on an Android phone post-root/whatever are, though I'm sure there are plenty of positives. Free apps? After some googling I heard that a bootloader or ROM could void your warranty, is it detectable?

EDIT: nevermind, I found this: http://lifehacker.com/#!5596108/how-...id-rom-for-you

So you can make your phone faster, more stable, remove bloatware, add some new features? Anything else?

Maybe I'm just a lazy ass. Keeping up with JB updates and what worked and what was safe with each new patch from Apple was annoying IMO. I liked to plug it in, update it and go. Near the end the most use I got out of the JB was the custom UI, custom text tone and a free TomTom app

All I know is my old JB'd 3GS is now a fancy paperweight and my sister's old non-JB'd 3GS which I'm now using is perfectly fine.
For most users it isn't a big deal. For me, though, as a power user, it is. I like to change ROMs almost every other day and a locked bootloader prevents you from trying all the new cool custom ROMs XDA devs put out there. Its a lot more difficult to put a non Motorola Blur ROM onto the phones such as CyanogenMod, MIUI, HTC Sense, Vanilla Android or whatever other variant of Android is out there. As a result, you're stuck with a variation of Motorola's Blur ROMs and as most people who are familiar with Motorola's Blur, its really bloated compared to other OEM skins without adding much functionality.

The phone can still be easily rooted, however. This is why, for most users, its not a big deal. You can flash "custom" ROMs but in comparison to other Android phones, they're not the most customized. Both unlocking the bootloader and rooting will void warranty although I hear HTC doesn't seem to mind. The good news is that, root is easily reversible and never detected once reversed. The bootloader, on the other hand, is sometimes reversible and sometimes not. Really depends on which phone we're talking about here.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tethering on the Atrix

Has anyone tethered with this phone yet (through their cars?)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

HSUPA modem for Atrix users:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1052914

Might want to read the whole thread before flashing the new radio. AT&T is supposedly releasing this in the next few weeks but hasn't given a solid date. If you can't wait, then flash the files in the link above. And it seems you can always downgrade to stock if necessary.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the official HSUPA update is being released today by AT&T. Also another update that will put the phone to Android 2.2.2. Gotta use WiFi to get it:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...ionId=KB117611
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Safety Car

If this is true then wow:

Alert the developers! Unlocked bootloaders are coming! Motorola’s received quite a bit of pressure regarding their locked bootloaders on most Motorola Blur-enabled Android devices. These bootloaders prevent individual users from modifying and creating their own custom kernels, which means they also prevent the creation of true custom ROMs.

But, Motorola’s opened up to the external developers of the Android world. They recently vowed to make phones with unlockable bootloaders available in the third and fourth quarters of the year. Little did we know that Motorola would take steps to retroactively unlock previously released devices, too!

Today, we confirmed that the leaked early builds of Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) for the Motorola Atrix 4G will, in fact, allow users to unlock their bootloaders using the traditional command: “fastboot oem unlock.” Once users receive the over-the-air update in July, they’ll be able to boot their Atrix 4G into Fastboot mode and unlock from there.

This unlock means that custom kernels and full custom ROMs will be totally available once Gingerbread is launched for the Atrix 4G. Right now, we can confirm that at least the Chinese Atrix variant and the AT&T Atrix 4G model will allow these unlockable bootloaders. We won’t be surprised when Gingerbread brings unlock-ability to Bell and other world carriers, too. Hit the “read more” button to see pictures and video after the break.
Source: http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-atr...oid-2-3-update

This is awesome news for the mod community especially since Motorola makes pretty good hardware. May even start considering Motorola in the future if they keep this up.
The following users liked this post:
BraveDemon (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I got the Atrix a week ago (to replace a busted Iphone 3gs) to use in the mean time while ATT releases their version of the Galaxy S2.

The above news is simply awesome and if the update goes live with the capability to unlock the Atrix's bootloader, I'll probably just stick with the Atrix until the Nexus 4g comes out.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
I got the Atrix a week ago (to replace a busted Iphone 3gs) to use in the mean time while ATT releases their version of the Galaxy S2.

The above news is simply awesome and if the update goes live with the capability to unlock the Atrix's bootloader, I'll probably just stick with the Atrix until the Nexus 4g comes out.
Apparently its true. Shortly after the article was posted, a YouTube video of the unlocking process was made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Bf9QIZsRI

Its very simple to do. Just a simple adb command unlocks your bootloader. Motorola did good. I'm prety sure an influx of custom ROMs and kernel will be coming in the next couple of days. Now lets hope the EVO 3D follows next.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
Well the touchscreen on my Atrix completely died. I have a few choices now and Im not really sure what to do...

1. Replace it with another Atrix through AT&T warranty
2. Replace it with Samsung Infuse 4G through Costco warranty
3. Replace it with HTC Inspire 4G through Costco warranty

I liked the Atrix a lot but the fingerprint sensor rarely worked, very low battery life, and I did have issues with lack of service and call drops (which didn't occur on my previous phone)...and then the touchscreen died. Any of options I choose though I won't have to pay any money which I am happy about. What would you all do?

I wish iPhone 5 was an option for me
Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Safety Car

I say keep the Atrix 4G. Its a lot more futureproof than the other two you listed.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
MechEng

^ Youre right about the futureproof thing. After doing some more research on the 3 phones Im leaning towards keeping the Atrix.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Yeah. It has a dual core processor and 1 GB of RAM, something 90% of Android phones currently do NOT have. The Atrix is a very underrated device. If you learn how to root it and flash custom ROMs which are starting to come out since Motorola unlocked the bootloader, you can have a phone that'll last you a few years.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
^ Youre right about the futureproof thing. After doing some more research on the 3 phones Im leaning towards keeping the Atrix.

I originally got the Atrix as a filler phone until the Samsung Galaxy S2 came out, but since the OTA 2.3.4 update went live this past week for the Atrix, the performance of the Atrix has gone through the roof... making me think twice about getting the Galaxy S2.

And trust me, the performance is NOTICEABLY improved with 2.3.4. I think it may be due to the fact that GB is dual core friendly while Froyo was crap. From what I remember when I first got the Atrix, Motoblur was painfully laggy on Froyo - it is now bearable with GB. I've been using Launcher Pro so I can't exactly comment on the exact performance for each.

Not like the above matters to me anymore; soon after I updated to 2.3.4, I unlocked the bootloader, rooted and started playing with the available kernels/roms.

I am now running on Edgan's OC kernel (most stable and lowest temperatures, but only a modest overclock at 1.1 ghz) and CherryPi Rom, until CM7 is released.

And I just realized how addictive messing with this stuff really is (especially coming from an Iphone that I was too afraid to jailbreak). I've been doing nothing but playing with different builds for the past few days and am looking into getting an Android tablet to play with as well.

If I can get a great deal on a non-contract Galaxy s2, I'll probably still get it... but I'll probably keep the Atrix around for back up and as a toy.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BraveDemon

I originally got the Atrix as a filler phone until the Samsung Galaxy S2 came out, but since the OTA 2.3.4 update went live this past week for the Atrix, the performance of the Atrix has gone through the roof... making me think twice about getting the Galaxy S2.

And trust me, the performance is NOTICEABLY improved with 2.3.4. I think it may be due to the fact that GB is dual core friendly while Froyo was crap. From what I remember when I first got the Atrix, Motoblur was painfully laggy on Froyo - it is now bearable with GB. I've been using Launcher Pro so I can't exactly comment on the exact performance for each.

Not like the above matters to me anymore; soon after I updated to 2.3.4, I unlocked the bootloader, rooted and started playing with the available kernels/roms.

I am now running on Edgan's OC kernel (most stable and lowest temperatures, but only a modest overclock at 1.1 ghz) and CherryPi Rom, until CM7 is released.

And I just realized how addictive messing with this stuff really is (especially coming from an Iphone that I was too afraid to jailbreak). I've been doing nothing but playing with different builds for the past few days and am looking into getting an Android tablet to play with as well.

If I can get a great deal on a non-contract Galaxy s2, I'll probably still get it... but I'll probably keep the Atrix around for back up and as a toy.
Yes it is addicting. I flash almost daily whether it be kernels, custom ROMs, tweaks and theme changes here and there. I think a lot of people who don't flash custom ROMs are missing out on the true potential of Android. It does take some time to learn how to do it but once you get the hang of it, flashing stuff is cake and is appliable to the next Android phone if you choose to get a new one.

But yes, the Atrix is an excellent phone especially now that the bootloader is unlocked. Its the phone I would've gotten if I didn't get my Galaxy S.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM
MechEng

Update: I ended up replacing my broken Atrix with another Atrix, and I don't regret my decision at all.

I immediately updated to 2.3.4 and wow...what a difference! I am looking into the whole rooting thing and different rom. Honestly, I have no idea what any of that is. Im a total smartphone noob. But I am looking forward to learning more about the potential of my phone.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

For those Atrix users that are rooted/unlocked:

An official beta of the CyanogenMod 7 Rom was released yesterday.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1257574

Comes with a very conservative OC-ed kernel at 1.1 ghz. You can get Faux 1.3 ghz kernel at Rootzwiki (maybe at XDA as well, but I think he stopped updating there).

I'm running the CM7 beta and Faux's 1.3ghz kernel and its blazing fast - benchmarks higher than stock Galaxy S2. Although a rooted Galaxy S2 with CM7 should blow the Atrix out of the water.

Edit: Things that are currently a work in progress (aka not working): 1. Webtop (if you don't know what it is, you'll be fine), 2. Fingerprint Scanner.

Last edited by BraveDemon; 09-14-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
MIUI rom for the Atrix has also been started.

This phone seems to be futureproof awesome and now has more ROMs than the droid