Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

mosquito repelling phone ring

Old 04-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
mosquito repelling phone ring

I remember hearing about this coming out in china or japan...

can I get this somewhere?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/cool...0276206,00.htm
Old 04-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typically we don't have ringback tones here in the US. Not needed like it is in some foreign countries.

I'll see if I can find that tone.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never heard of that before...the ringback tone.

Weird.

The mosquito thing would be the same format whether its a ringback tone or just a regular ringtone right?

Damn bugs have been pissing me off.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kensteele
Typically we don't have ringback tones here in the US. Not needed like it is in some foreign countries.
Sure we do, it's just the standard ring....ring...ring though.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by suXor
Sure we do, it's just the standard ring....ring...ring though.
Yeah I guess so in a way...you're right. Awhile back about 5 years ago, since the time between when you dialed and when the call went thru was so long, carriers would call your phone back when the call was ready to go thru. You dialed the number then put the phone in your pocket. When you got a callback or ringback, you knew your call was ready.

We didn't need that here since typically the circuits (for most carriers) are not THAT busy and the calls go thru with relative speed.

What confused me about this article and why I say you're right in a way is this. When you place a call and the phone rings, you hear the ring,ring,ring because the call goes thru right away. If the call does not go thru the first time, you hear a long silence, like an extended pause. We call it a "silent retry" because your phone will try again. It is during that time that foreign carriers play music, right up until the connection and thus ring,ring,ring. In the US, we prefer silence. You've noticed it, I won't lie it happens on Sprint, too. You press talk and it takes 10 or 15 seconds just to START a connection...you pull the phone away and wonder if it's dialing...and if you're being charged. Silent retry.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Movin on up...

best question so far when working is...i cant get a dial tone on my cell phone, so i dont know whats wrong with it..i wait and i wait..and hear nothing..
Old 04-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by kensteele
Yeah I guess so in a way...you're right. Awhile back about 5 years ago, since the time between when you dialed and when the call went thru was so long, carriers would call your phone back when the call was ready to go thru. You dialed the number then put the phone in your pocket. When you got a callback or ringback, you knew your call was ready.

We didn't need that here since typically the circuits (for most carriers) are not THAT busy and the calls go thru with relative speed.

What confused me about this article and why I say you're right in a way is this. When you place a call and the phone rings, you hear the ring,ring,ring because the call goes thru right away. If the call does not go thru the first time, you hear a long silence, like an extended pause. We call it a "silent retry" because your phone will try again. It is during that time that foreign carriers play music, right up until the connection and thus ring,ring,ring. In the US, we prefer silence. You've noticed it, I won't lie it happens on Sprint, too. You press talk and it takes 10 or 15 seconds just to START a connection...you pull the phone away and wonder if it's dialing...and if you're being charged. Silent retry.
Oh, your talking about the time before the traffic channel is setup? I get that from time to time, sometimes taking 10-15 sec before the stinking call will start up.

Actually, we define "silent retry" something different. Silent retry is the handsets ability (or inability), based on carrier PRI settings, to "silently" retry the call attempt on analog (when available) if the CDMA network can not process the call due to capacity or FER that is to high. If disabled, the handset will just "call could not be completed" on you. Enabled, you may end up in an analog call without knowing it (unless you enable service change audible notification).
Old 04-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Still trolling

Originally posted by mikeymobiles
best question so far when working is...i cant get a dial tone on my cell phone, so i dont know whats wrong with it..i wait and i wait..and hear nothing..
You know what is funny? I remember back in the day, there were some GTE branded OKI handsets that had dial tone. You actually hit the "send" key (as we know it today) to take the phone "off-hook". You would get dial-tone, and then dial your number. It would send after it noticed a pause after 11, 10, or 7 digits.

Even today, some Latin America companies still have it. We have special software to emulate it.