Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Windows 8 News and Discussion Thread

Old 03-01-2012 | 03:39 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Disk Defrag run a trim command on a SSD.
It'll do it automatically too
Old 03-01-2012 | 04:33 PM
Go Giants

Wonder when this shit will time bomb on me.
Old 03-01-2012 | 08:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

<iframe src='http://theverge.vid.io/v/5b7e484a-6334-11e1-ab41-123139255418' data-vidio-id='5b7e484a-6334-11e1-ab41-123139255418' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe><script src='http://assets.theverge.vid.io/player/src/vidio-bootstrap.js'></script>
Old 03-02-2012 | 12:02 AM
Sanest Florida Man

FYI .Net 3.5 (which includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0) is not installed by default in Win 8. You can enable it for apps in the Windows Features control panel.
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:11 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This beta expires 2013 next year

Also Windows Server 8 Beta is available in an ISO or VHD format

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/serve...8-default.aspx
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:23 PM
Sanest Florida Man

If you right-click on that pop-up start screen icon in the lower left icon you get this!

kKP9Q.png

That's even easier than Windows 7
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:29 PM
Sanest Florida Man

You can scroll on the start screen by "pushing" against the side of the screen with your cursor. The harder you "push" against the edge of the screen the faster it scrolls.
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:41 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Also Windows Experience Scores now go to 9.9
Old 03-02-2012 | 10:42 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Stunna, cant get LMI plugin for S2 going on IE10. You?
I had to enable compatibility mode to make it work in IE 10.
Old 03-03-2012 | 12:34 AM
Safety Car

So I finally got around to playing with Windows 8 as a dual boot with Windows 7 on my computer. Actually, typing this on it right now. I'm not totally sold on the Metro UI/Desktop Hybrid. Windows 8 seems a tad bit faster than 7 but its pretty close. Also, it could be due to the fact that its a fresh install so who knows how it'll react as I install more apps. Most of my devices worked straight out of the box and just had to install my WiFi, Sound Card and Graphics Drivers. Luckily, the WiFi and Sound Card Windows 7 drivers worked. My text was set to 150% for some reason and it made the icons/graphics look pixelated on my screen. Something that a regular user shouldn't have to tinker with when they first set up a computer and something I've never had to until now.

I also had to install the Sound Card and my ATI Drivers twice before I stopped having issues. For the first hour I was trouble shooting on what was causing my microlags and why I wasn't getting sound even though it said my drivers were installed (no yellow exclamation marks in device manager) and the sound was working prior to rebooting my system. Installing the drivers twice seems to have fixed both issues. I was having issues getting the Start Menu and the Charm Menu to pop up and I was getting pretty frustrated but after a few reboots all is well so not sure what fixed it. I had to use a bunch of the shortcut keys which seems to make the experience a lot more tolerable for transitioning from previous Windows and still find very useful but maybe not for the regular user:

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-t...eyboard-users/

I had a hard time finding what I wanted like the My Computer, Device Manager, Control Panel (Charms was flaky at first), and a few of my most used stuff. (The Right Click on the Start Menu on the bottom left could've saved me a lot of headaches earlier.) The shortcut keys helped me a lot in that aspect and I'm not sure how I would've figured that out without prior knowledge of those shortcuts. I guess Microsoft is really trying to hide those Advanced tasks from regular users but unfortunately I think that's a bad idea especially when troubleshooting hardware issues. I didn't even get any errors saying that my Sound Card, WiFi, and Graphics card drivers needed to be installed.

The available apps are pretty basic and the Metro interface really is made for tablets. Some of the gestures do work with the mouse and the multitasking is a pretty cool proposition I guess but overall it doesn't really add any value on a desktop. Maybe it'll get better as more apps come in but right now, I barely use the "Start Menu" and would prefer if they had kept the old Start Menu and get rid of the Metro. Also, interfacing between Metro and regular windows is Clunky at best. Its almost a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Internet Explorer 10 is fast but page rendering isn't there yet and the rendering font is still hideous. It reminds me of why I ditched Internet Explorer in the first place despite the speed improvements. Also, the location thing keeps putting me off a few miles away and I'm not sure why! It happens in all of the apps I use. The menus in the apps are also inconsistent which makes it frustrating to navigate and edit things.

I'm gonna keep playing with it for the time being. I was able to force the ADB drivers for my Android devices so at least I can flash some ROMs while I'm on it. I have to say, the first few hours I had it, I was about to give up on it solely on the fact I was having a lot of issues and navigating around was frustrating when all of the advanced tasks are hidden. I think on a hybrid touchscreen/desktop interface, this operating system will shine. Is it a must update for current Windows 7 users? Right now, I say no. If I were to give this to a non-tech saavy person, they'd get lost fairly quickly and I'm not sure if they'd be interested in coming back.
Old 03-03-2012 | 01:51 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I've mostly adjusted to the changes though there are a couple things I'd like to see changed. I'm not judging it too much because I know it's still beta and I know those apps are in very early stages hence why they say "app-preview" on them. However for me it's much more good than bad.

This is something I could never do in 7, this is the Metro Music app pinned to the side which pushes everything to the right a little. Now this is on a 2560x1440 screen so I've got plenty of room to spare and it just works great!
meYhh.jpg
click image for jumbo size

Also I've noticed that when snapping these metro apps to the side the smallest app's max size is 320px, I can't extend it more that what you see without making it the same size as my desktop is in my pic.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:04 AM

really?

well maybe not the metro music app, but ive been able to do something like that with other programs since I think at least XP
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I've mostly adjusted to the changes though there are a couple things I'd like to see changed. I'm not judging it too much because I know it's still beta and I know those apps are in very early stages hence why they say "app-preview" on them. However for me it's much more good than bad.

This is something I could never do in 7, this is the Metro Music app pinned to the side which pushes everything to the right a little. Now this is on a 2560x1440 screen so I've got plenty of room to spare and it just works great!
https://i.imgur.com/meYhh.jpg
click image for jumbo size

Also I've noticed that when snapping these metro apps to the side the smallest app's max size is 320px, I can't extend it more that what you see without making it the same size as my desktop is in my pic.
I guess I just don't find that all that useful in a desktop environment? I mean having the playlist stuck on the left isn't a high priority especially if its just static. All it does is eat up space on my screen estate. Keep it in the dock bar at the bottom like how Windows 7 does it and I have media keys on my keyboard and mouse to change tracks as needed. On a tablet, I can see that feature to be very useful. Not so much on a desktop.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:14 AM
Safety Car

A feature that I wanted and can't seem to get done is have one monitor just strictly for the Metro interface and the second display strictly for regular Windows. I have a dual monitor set up where one of them is set up vertically and the other horizontally. If they can get that done that would be awesome. I would use the vertical monitor strictly for Metro apps and the horizontal one for main Windows.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:32 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
I guess I just don't find that all that useful in a desktop environment? I mean having the playlist stuck on the left isn't a high priority especially if its just static. All it does is eat up space on my screen estate. Keep it in the dock bar at the bottom like how Windows 7 does it and I have media keys on my keyboard and mouse to change tracks as needed. On a tablet, I can see that feature to be very useful. Not so much on a desktop.
I have a big ass screen, I have more than enough room and I'm not cramped at all by having it there. 320px is an 1/8th of my screen

That's the thing about windows 8 you don't HAVE to use this metro app if it doesn't work for you. You can use whatever desktop app suites you fine, pin it to the taskbar and it'll work just like windows 7.

A feature that I wanted and can't seem to get done is have one monitor just strictly for the Metro interface and the second display strictly for regular Windows. I have a dual monitor set up where one of them is set up vertically and the other horizontally. If they can get that done that would be awesome. I would use the vertical monitor strictly for Metro apps and the horizontal one for main Windows.
The metro UI will only be on one monitor while with a new feature in Windows 8 you can extend the taskbar and wallpaper across multiple monitors now. Right click taskbar and choose properties, that should get you mostly there.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-03-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:36 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Mizouse
really?

well maybe not the metro music app, but ive been able to do something like that with other programs since I think at least XP
This moves the desktop to the right a little and I can't put anything behind it or in front of it. In my case it's a great use of my excessive wide screen real estate. I still have 2240px left, I think I'll manage.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:46 AM

well i dont remember what music player i used before itunes, but it used to push everything aside including the desktop icons but not the taskbar and would maintain focus.

i was at the time using a 17" LCD so it did hurt me for screen real estate.

but i just didnt see the point of having it always there and available.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:49 AM

anyways, i havent read up much on windows 8, but do i HAVE to use that metro interface or could i use a windows 7 type interface?
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:53 AM
Safety Car

I have a big ass screen, I have more than enough room and I'm not cramped at all by having it there. 320px is an 1/8th of my screen

That's the thing about windows 8 you don't HAVE to use this metro app if it doesn't work for you. You can use whatever desktop app suites you fine, pin it to the taskbar and it'll work just like windows 7.
Or I could just have the whole screen for Windows. Still don't see how more useful it is than being docked as an icon on the bottom in a desktop environment. All my media keys are found on my keyboard or a flick of a finger on my mouse with the custom gestures. Ever since XP, I've used a small app that's called AlwaysOnTopMaker which does exactly what the app says it does. Works on every program I've ever used so this side panel sizing doesn't really do much for me. Again, on a tablet it makes sense but not so much on a desktop.

The metro UI will only be on one monitor while with a new feature in Windows 8 you can extend the taskbar and wallpaper across multiple monitors now. Right click taskbar and choose properties, that should get you mostly there.
I don't think I'm making myself clear. I want to maintain one display strictly for Metro, nothing more. My vertical monitor will be nothing but Metro. Anything I launch from the Metro Start Menu will be launched onto the other main display unless its a Metro app. Its basically what you're doing above on one monitor but done on two monitors and one strictly for Metro. As it is, you can extend the desktop but once you touch Desktop mode, Metro mode goes away on both monitors.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 03-03-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2012 | 02:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mizouse
anyways, i havent read up much on windows 8, but do i HAVE to use that metro interface or could i use a windows 7 type interface?
Pretty much the Start Menu is the Metro interface. Supposedly, you can get rid of it completely once the final version is released but as of right now, every time you hit the Start Menu it launches you to there where you can pin your apps and shortcuts. You can basically ignore it but the moment you hit that Start menu on the keyboard you're launched directly to it. I would prefer if I could remove it completely though. Then again, it removes the whole reason for Windows 8.
Old 03-03-2012 | 03:19 AM
Sanest Florida Man

you can disable the start screen now in the registry
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-in-windows-8/

Or you can use this little switcher app
https://ruanmei.deviantart.com/art/W...cher-258511940
Old 03-03-2012 | 07:30 AM
Go Giants

you can disable the start screen now in the registry
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-in-windows-8/

Or you can use this little switcher app
https://ruanmei.deviantart.com/art/W...cher-258511940
That reg key is gone in the consumer preview and adding it does nothing....
I found that hitting the start key, bringing up metro and typing what you want is quickest.

CGFebTSX04 is absolutely correct. I have a laptop with an external display and want Metro apps to stick on the external and the Windows desktop to stick on the laptop screen. Cant get it working. If that worked, getting an external touch screen would be hot.
Old 03-03-2012 | 12:09 PM
Safety Car

Yeah pretty much make one monitor a "launcher" of Metro apps. Basically, my dual monitor set up for Windows 7 is already like this without the Metro which is maybe why I'm not so blown out of my mind with the implementation. I throw whatever programs I don't want covering my main screen onto my vertical monitor such as videos, scripts, etc. Instead of being limited to Windows programs, it would be nice to use that extra monitor for all metro related functions only. This would make Metro usable for people transitioning into it and actually add some value instead of being just an extra overlay in a Desktop environment.

Also, my setup started lagging again after I shut it down last night. Every time I point my cursor to activate the charms or the start menu it freezes. All I see in the System logs is "Application Hang" which isn't very useful. Its probably the ATI drivers but I just resetted everything and trying to pin point the problem again. I barely have anything installed on this as its just for testing purposes.
Old 03-03-2012 | 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Well it looks like Windows 8 is not liking the Catalyst Drivers and I need it to control my fan speed. Any time I touch the four corners my Desktop just freezes for a few seconds before it accepts any input. I guess that ends my trial with Windows 8 because I can't stand using my desktop sounding like a vacuum cleaner with the stock ATI heatsink on my GPU and having it freeze any time I need to access the Menus with a mouse.
Old 03-03-2012 | 01:51 PM
Sanest Florida Man

If you think they need to fix something or add or tweak a feature then let them know in the comment section of this blog post
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...r-preview.aspx

They do read all the comments and make changes based on suggestions. Here's a post the made detailing the changes they made to Windows8 based on feedback from the developer preview.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...-feedback.aspx
Old 03-06-2012 | 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Installed last night and used a little last night and demoed for some co-workers today. Not sure what the big fuss is about. The desktop is still there and you can launch desktop apps from the start screen. It's just like having the start menu open all the time.

All this "How do I do this?!" "What about that?" is just "who moved my cheese" worrying.

My one co-worker and I discussed this for a while and determined that MS doesn't have to be worried about businesses screaming "Win8 will NEVER be installed in my company!" Win8 isn't for businesses, Windows 7 is. Windows 8 is for the consumer. See:

Win95: consumer
NT 4: business
Win98: consumer
Windows 2000: business
XP: business/consumer
Vista: consumer
Win 7: business
Win 8: consumer

Microsoft has about 3 years before they need to meet business needs again. Microsoft always officially supports 2 generations of their software, and 6 years is just about right for business to do a hardware refresh with asset depreciation.

So it's perfectly fine for businesses to not adopt Windows 8.
Old 03-07-2012 | 12:26 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I was thinking about this today. All the boot discs I use are based on XP and are getting a little long in the tooth, I've yet to see Hirens or Ultimate Boot CD use Windows 7 as the base. Another new feature in Windows 8 to help with this issue is called "Windows To Go". It allows you to install windows 8 to a bootable flash drive and you can put other programs on there like Office and carry it around with you and pop it in to any PC and boot to it and have your apps with you on any PC.

I just decided to look into it and I found this how to article on Ars

check it out!
http://arstechnica.com/business/guid...m_campaign=rss

I think I'll try and put Office Starter, Google chrome and some other programs on there recuva, ccleaner, Mbam, tdsskiller, and other misc portable apps I can think of. I'll report back on how it goes. It requires at least 16GB flash but it seems 32GB would be best. Smallest I have lying around unused is 16GB, hope it's enough....

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 03-07-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2012 | 12:44 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I'm gonna take the utilities from my hiren's disc and put them on my Windows 8 flash drive
Old 03-07-2012 | 01:27 AM

interesting, so you can basically boot into win8 off a flash drive and fix the computer with whatever programs on the flash drive?
Old 03-07-2012 | 02:10 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 03-07-2012 | 07:02 AM
Go Giants

Im getting so many angry people connecting to me who upgraded to 8 and want to go back to 7. They are screwed...
Old 03-07-2012 | 10:26 AM

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Great video:

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:32 PM
the overexplainer

I was thinking about this today. All the boot discs I use are based on XP and are getting a little long in the tooth, I've yet to see Hirens or Ultimate Boot CD use Windows 7 as the base.
http://reboot.pro/

look up Windows7PE SE project. Lets you create a bootable ISO or USB hard drive based off of Windows PE, and lets you add portable applications ("installable" applications can also be done, but have to be "installed" into the RAM drive each time it boots). Very handy for Ghost imaging since ghost32.exe is portable, and also ghost explorer.

I'm interested to see the differences in how the new portable windows handles the registry.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2012 | 04:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Clearly it's very intuitive!!!
Old 03-12-2012 | 05:23 PM
Team Owner

Im getting so many angry people connecting to me who upgraded to 8 and want to go back to 7. They are screwed...
What are they angry about, what don't they like?
Old 03-12-2012 | 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Clearly it's very intuitive!!!
What's the over/under on them putting back the start button?
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:06 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by doopstr
What are they angry about, what don't they like?
No start button
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:37 PM
Safety Car

I showed people 3 things with Windows 8:

How to bring up the charms bar, which leads to the start screen
How to get to All Apps
How to "close" a Metro application.

With that knowledge, you can handle Windows 8.

I didn't make it more than a minute into the video. Everything new has a learning curve. FFS, you put someone in a brand new car and it takes a while to figure out where the wipers are, the headlight switch, the radio.

"I just wanted to make this video to show Acura how people will be using their new cars."
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:43 PM
Team Owner

It looks like whatever training video is going to start with the first boot of Win 8 should have been included in the consumer preview.

Interesting that the first thing people go for on the Metro interface is the desktop, they want was is familiar and then find that it is not.

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Windows 8 News and Discussion Thread