Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

microsoft outlook users

Old 05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
microsoft outlook users

how do i sync outlook on my pc and laptop?
specifically the stuff i add to my calendar, appointments and whatever.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

You don't really sync outlook from a laptop to a pc. If you are using outlook with an exchange server it is easy, just setup outlook on your laptop just like you did your pc.

If however you are using outlook as a pop client with your isp then it gets a little more interesting. If you haven't turned on the feature to delete your messages off of the isp's server after you retrieve them you will be able to setup your laptop to retrieve them just like your pc. If you have already deleted them off your server then you will need to export your messages to a file (pst) and then import them into your outlook client on your laptop. Then you can change the option on your pc to leave the messages on there and use both outlook clients to retrieve them.

In order to keep the calendar/contacts synched though you will need to export them and import them into your laptop outlook, unless you are using an exchange server also.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dare_IL
You don't really sync outlook from a laptop to a pc. If you are using outlook with an exchange server it is easy, just setup outlook on your laptop just like you did your pc.

If however you are using outlook as a pop client with your isp then it gets a little more interesting. If you haven't turned on the feature to delete your messages off of the isp's server after you retrieve them you will be able to setup your laptop to retrieve them just like your pc. If you have already deleted them off your server then you will need to export your messages to a file (pst) and then import them into your outlook client on your laptop. Then you can change the option on your pc to leave the messages on there and use both outlook clients to retrieve them.

In order to keep the calendar/contacts synched though you will need to export them and import them into your laptop outlook, unless you are using an exchange server also.

Hope that helps.

since i have no clue what an exchange server is, i assume i don't have one.

is that the type of thing anyone can set up, or just for business intranets?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
100k miles club

another option you have is this. if your desktop is always on, you can share your PST file from the desktop. then from your laptop you can have outlook connect to the PST file on your desktop. that way you desktop will have the main records while the laptop will "mirror it". with this method your contacts will be an exact match. this method is for more of the advanced user though.

Dare IL's method will work too but only for your emails. if any changes are made on your contacts, tasks, etc. on the desktop you will have to manually do it to your laptop as well.

exchange server is a mail server. pretty expensive for home use unless you can "acquire it" but that would be the best method to sync info into multiple computers. not worth it if you're the only one using it since the configuration for securities, running it on a server platform OS, setting permissions, etc. just takes too much time and patience for one user IMO.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

Originally Posted by w1n78
Dare IL's method will work too but only for your emails. if any changes are made on your contacts, tasks, etc. on the desktop you will have to manually do it to your laptop as well.

exchange server is a mail server. pretty expensive for home use unless you can "acquire it" but that would be the best method to sync info into multiple computers. not worth it if you're the only one using it since the configuration for securities, running it on a server platform OS, setting permissions, etc. just takes too much time and patience for one user IMO.
That isn't true. The PST created with an export will have calendar and contact information in it.

You can't share a PST at the same time. Outlook puts a file lock on it when it opens it.

You can't mirror a pst. the pst extension is excluded using the briefcase/intellisynch.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:20 PM
100k miles club

That isn't true. The PST created with an export will have calendar and contact information in it.

You can't share a PST at the same time. Outlook puts a file lock on it when it opens it.

You can't mirror a pst. the pst extension is excluded using the briefcase/intellisynch.
hmmm, i might have to check on that, but i'm pretty sure i did this method once but didn't like it coz it was inefficient. it was on outlook 2000 and i shared the folder where the outlook database kept. then from the other pc browsed the network with outlook to connect to and it worked. only thing is one outlook can be open at a time. which shouldn't put the file lock.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
100k miles club

oh just thought of something. couldn't you just share outlook. i heard of a feature that shares outlook. not sure since i don't that feature but talked to people who said something about accessing their outlook records from home.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

hmmm, i might have to check on that, but i'm pretty sure i did this method once but didn't like it coz it was inefficient. it was on outlook 2000 and i shared the folder where the outlook database kept. then from the other pc browsed the network with outlook to connect to and it worked. only thing is one outlook can be open at a time. which shouldn't put the file lock.
Which means unless he imports the pst into the outlook on his laptop when he disconnects the laptop the pst will be gone and he won't be able to use outlook unless he creates a new blank pst.

If he exports and then imports, he will have two pst's, one on the pc & one on the laptop. This is a pain in the butt but there aren't too many options since he isn't using MS Exchange.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

oh just thought of something. couldn't you just share outlook. i heard of a feature that shares outlook. not sure since i don't that feature but talked to people who said something about accessing their outlook records from home.
sure you can share it. Most people that use outlook away from the office home office use outlook web access. Which requires an exchange server and doesn't even require outlook.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:28 PM
100k miles club

Which means unless he imports the pst into the outlook on his laptop when he disconnects the laptop the pst will be gone and he won't be able to use outlook unless he creates a new blank pst.

If he exports and then imports, he will have two pst's, one on the pc & one on the laptop. This is a pain in the butt but there aren't too many options since he isn't using MS Exchange.
exactly! if he hardly has the desktop on then it won't work. and there isn't much options w/o exchange especially if he wants his contacts to be updated in both places. he would have to keep updating the PST files. he should be fine with emails if he sets his POP mails not to delete automatically from the server
Old 05-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

exactly! if he hardly has the desktop on then it won't work. and there isn't much options w/o exchange especially if he wants his contacts to be updated in both places. he would have to keep updating the PST files. he should be fine with emails if he sets his POP mails not to delete automatically from the server
Isn't that what I said in the first reply. :banghead:
Old 05-13-2004, 08:34 PM
100k miles club

Isn't that what I said in the first reply. :banghead:
yes, but i was sharing another method that's all
Old 05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

yes, but i was sharing another method that's all
What other method? You can't share the pst, you can't synchronize the pst, you have to export and then import.

Unless he is using exchange, other than emails, if he wants to keep his contacts and calendar updated he will have to export and import from the pc to the laptop.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:52 PM
100k miles club

What other method? You can't share the pst, you can't synchronize the pst, you have to export and then import.

Unless he is using exchange, other than emails, if he wants to keep his contacts and calendar updated he will have to export and import from the pc to the laptop.
i've done it before. i wish i can do it again and take screen shots but i only have a PC w/ outlook and a G5 w/o outlook so i can't. the folder the PST is contained is shared. then on the second PC use outlook and browse the network for the file. the folder itself will be hidden so you have to either unhide it or know the exact path. plus the original outlook cannot be open at the same time or else like you said will have a file lock on it. i used outlook 2000 if i remember correctly or it could've been 2002
Old 05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Need a WHAmbulance

i've done it before. i wish i can do it again and take screen shots but i only have a PC w/ outlook and a G5 w/o outlook so i can't. the folder the PST is contained is shared. then on the second PC use outlook and browse the network for the file. the folder itself will be hidden so you have to either unhide it or know the exact path. plus the original outlook cannot be open at the same time or else like you said will have a file lock on it. i used outlook 2000 if i remember correctly or it could've been 2002
And like I said. That is fine until he disconnects his laptop and looses connection to the pst on the pc. Outlook will want him to creat a new blank one.