Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft announces automatic Internet Explorer upgrades for XP, Vista and Windows 7

Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,215 Likes on 6,187 Posts
Microsoft announces automatic Internet Explorer upgrades for XP, Vista and Windows 7

Just a heads up in case you IT guys want to block this....

Microsoft announced on Thursday its plans to bring automatic upgrades to Internet Explorer on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Microsoft is planning to start the automatic updates in January for customers in Australia and Brazil who have automatic updating enabled via Windows Update
. “The Web overall is better – and safer – when more people run the most up-to-date browser,” said Microsoft’s Ryan Gavin in a blog post on Thursday. “Our goal is to make sure that Windows customers have the most up-to-date and safest browsing experience possible, with the best protections against malicious software such as malware.”

Microsoft’s automatic updates for Internet Explorer will ensure web users are better protected whilst surfing online. The software maker will also provide ways to block the automatic updates, particularly useful in enterprise and business environments. The Internet Explorer 8 and 9 Automatic Update Blocker toolkit will prevent upgrades of IE for customers who do not wish to upgrade immediately. “Customers who have declined previous installations of IE8 or IE9 through Windows Update will not be automatically updated,” explained Gavin. “Future versions of IE will provide an option in the product for consumers to opt out of automatic upgrading.”

Recent builds of Windows 8 include automatic updates enabled for Internet Explorer 10. Windows 8 build 8158 demonstrates that the option is enabled in the about Internet Explorer dialog box, named “Install new versions automatically.”
http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-a...and-windows-7/
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Looks like Microsoft is taking the Chrome route with auto updates? Can't turn off auto updating in Chrome last I checked. One day it's version 14, next time I run Chrome (which isn't often) it's version 16.

I haven't played with IE 9 since it first came out and I found it was a bit buggy. It wouldn't/couldn't display certain web page correctly so I never bothered upgrading my PCs to them. And I'd always refuse the auto IE updates.

Has IE 9 gotten better?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
CGI Solutions might finally have to get off their ass and make Sovera compatible with something other than IE 6.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by AZuser
Looks like Microsoft is taking the Chrome route with auto updates? Can't turn off auto updating in Chrome last I checked. One day it's version 14, next time I run Chrome (which isn't often) it's version 16.

I haven't played with IE 9 since it first came out and I found it was a bit buggy. It wouldn't/couldn't display certain web page correctly so I never bothered upgrading my PCs to them. And I'd always refuse the auto IE updates.

Has IE 9 gotten better?
I would assume so, did you try viewing the site in compatibility mode? That fixes the issue in most cases.

Yes it seems MS is enabling silent automatic updates in IE10, which is good; they already do this for click-to-run versions of Office 2010. They're joining FF and Chrome saying that you shouldn't develop for a certain browser version but for a certain Web standard.

MS is really pushing for web standards to be the same across all browsers, it's currently not the case, things written to standard (even HTML 5) can be displayed differently across different browsers. So in order for it to look the same the developer has to tweak the code for each browser so that it looks the same.

That's a waste of time, if the code looked the same across all browsers that'd be a great time saver and developers could focus on adding better features and not spend time compatibility testing.

Firefox wants to drop the version number all together....
http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011...-attention.ars

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 12-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
This should be good for business.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

LOL! I think I have a virus! It deleted my favorites!!! And now this disable add-ons thing keeps popping up!