Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Laptop Help

Old 02-23-2002, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Laptop Help

Guess I'm sort of stuck in a rut. I've been putting off buying a laptop long enough and my palm is just not cutting it anymore. So I need some recos for a laptop. I know everything about building a desktop PC.. but have no idea which laptops are the best. Also, anyone know if that Geforce2 Go is any good or should i stick with the ATI cards?
Old 02-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Drifting

I have a Dell Inspiron 8000, 850 MHz P3, 256 MB, and I am very satisfied with it.

If you have a choice, choose GeForce 2GO instead of the ATI Rage Mobility. The ATI chipset (like the one I have) has some known problems that may cause display artifacts and system crashes, both of which I have personally experienced .

The first thing to consider is what you want from a laptop. I was looking for a desktop replacement, so I bought this 10-lb machine with a 15.1" 1600x1200 display with a large (30GB) drive, DVD-ROM drive and two modular bays. If you're looking for a Palm replacement, you may want to look at sub 6lb machines with just a harddrive. If you're looking for a machine to use on extended flights, be sure you have a spare battery bay (and a spare battery) handy.
Old 02-23-2002, 01:14 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the Dell Inspiron 8100 with every options. It is great and this is my 1st laptop. Highly recommended!
Old 02-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, a laptop is NOT a gaming or graphics machine.

It is best suited for the mobile professional needing powerful business computing ability. With a nice clear screen for doing work for long periods of time.

HD storage should be large, but not huge. It's not very easy to upgrade your HD though, so keep that in mind.

It's better to have all built in DVD-Rom and Floppy drives. 2 PCMCIA slots. Built in 10/100 Lan.

Most important, battery life. What good is a laptop if you can't use it for a while away from the docking station or plugged up.

One more consideration after using a laptop for 3 1/2 years. Find a light one if you plan on carrying it around.
Old 02-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Racer

im not really planning on using it for gaming... but it would be nice to have that option to just play if i wanted to during those times im not doing anything. I've read about the dell and looks like its one bad a$$ mofo. But what im concerned with is the price. paying that much more for a laptop is just mind blowing. I was looking at the toshiba Satellite 5005-S507:

Equipped with an Intel® Pentium® III processor 1.1GHz, 512MB SDRAM, Toshiba Personal Theatre 15" UXGA active matrix display (1600 X 1200), NVIDIA® GeForce4™ 440 Go graphics controller with 32MB DDR VRAM, DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive, 40GB Hard drive, Yamaha Sound System featuring harman/kardon® Stereo Speakers with subwoofer, 10/100 Ethernet, V.90/56K modem, and Windows XP Home Edition.

for 2,000... what do you guys think? anything better for 2k?
Old 02-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by chrism7855
im not really planning on using it for gaming... but it would be nice to have that option to just play if i wanted to during those times im not doing anything. I've read about the dell and looks like its one bad a$$ mofo. But what im concerned with is the price. paying that much more for a laptop is just mind blowing. I was looking at the toshiba Satellite 5005-S507:

Equipped with an Intel?Pentium?III processor 1.1GHz, 512MB SDRAM, Toshiba Personal Theatre 15" UXGA active matrix display (1600 X 1200), NVIDIA?GeForce4?440 Go graphics controller with 32MB DDR VRAM, DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive, 40GB Hard drive, Yamaha Sound System featuring harman/kardon?Stereo Speakers with subwoofer, 10/100 Ethernet, V.90/56K modem, and Windows XP Home Edition.

for 2,000... what do you guys think? anything better for 2k?
well that is more like a desktop replacement to me. So, is that waht you want?

hum... if you are looking at something that's ultra light and portable.

check out the Fujitsu P-series. I am getting one myself. But then again, I have a desktop, too. So, I don't need an ultra large screen on my labtop and stuff.

But check that fujitsu out thought...
Old 02-23-2002, 09:27 PM
Racer

no im not looking to replace my desktop. actually have 2 desktops...and about to build another.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Banned

Dell or Gateway

when you have problems with it or break something (which you will) They will get you hooked up ASAP. I've got a gateway and I've had to use their support a few times. It's taken maybe 15 minutes before i get to talk to someone but the problem is solved right away when i get to them. I've also broken a key off the keyboard (entirely my fault). I called them up and what did they do...sent me a new chassis next day air. I pulled out the CDRW and HD, stuck them in the new one and called the number to have the delivery guy pick up the old one all for no charge at all. When you buy something from bestbuy and something gets messed up you are going to be pissed that it takes them 2-3 weeks go get it fixed. A friend of mine is going through this right now with a HP that she has. And that's my opinion.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Drifting

N3W73|2 is right, I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 with a 3-year next day warranty, and when they say next day, they mean next day. I've had a couple of keys on my keyboard go out on me twice. The first time a tech came by my office to replace the keyboard, and the second time he came to replace the motherboard. Both times he arrived within 24 hours of my service call.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Do not, I MEAN DO NOT buy a Dell. I work for IBM and still bought a Dell because of their excellent reputation for service. Well, the machine developed several problems. One of the problems was excessive heat due to the fan breaking. The paint on the bottom actually melted off. The tech said to not put it on my lap. That was it. The hard drive was clicking and humming, they didn't want to replace. Finally they said they would replace, but that is the ONLY time they would replace. Keep in mind, I bought a 3 year extended warranty. In all, over a three day period, my finace and I were on hold for 9 huors. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and they put me on hold for over and hour and a half. No supervisor ever got on the phone. After sending letters to the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General in my state and Texas, where Dell is located, I didn't receive any info. Finally, I talked to a rep at the state attorney general's office in my state and the next day a woman from Dell called. They were offering to buy back my $2000 machine for $1200 after a year of ownership and the offer stood for only 15 days. They refused to fix it, and would only give me 70% the value of the computer. To all those that have a Dell, watch out. The company has gone south quickly. IBM laptops are better, but they are more expensive too. I have not heard bad things about Gateway. But PLEASE stay away from Dell, for your own sanity.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've deployed about 30 Dell laptops within the company in the last 8 months and haven't had any major problems with them. I've found their tech support to be top-notch the one time I had to use it.

Based on this experience, I recently purchased an Inspiron 8100 for myself and am extremely satisfied with it. However, I too noticed that the hard drive clicked and hummed quite a bit. Upon visiting their support site, I noticed that Dell has a hard drive firmware update up on their site that all but eliminates this.

Of course your mileage will vary, but I have nothing but praise for Dell.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:59 AM
Banned

I've had 3 Dell laptops, and they all have performed flawlessly. I always go for the desktop replacement machines, since I use them as my main computer and don't travel very frequently. However, I did go through a period of about 6 months where I was travelling a lot, and I was really wishing I had bought a smaller machine. So, if you travel a lot, get a small one, otherwise, go for the power and features.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 2001AudiS4
Do not, I MEAN DO NOT buy a Dell. I work for IBM and still bought a Dell because of their excellent reputation for service. Well, the machine developed several problems. One of the problems was excessive heat due to the fan breaking. The paint on the bottom actually melted off. The tech said to not put it on my lap. That was it. The hard drive was clicking and humming, they didn't want to replace. Finally they said they would replace, but that is the ONLY time they would replace. Keep in mind, I bought a 3 year extended warranty. In all, over a three day period, my finace and I were on hold for 9 huors. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and they put me on hold for over and hour and a half. No supervisor ever got on the phone. After sending letters to the Better Business Bureau and the State Attorney General in my state and Texas, where Dell is located, I didn't receive any info. Finally, I talked to a rep at the state attorney general's office in my state and the next day a woman from Dell called. They were offering to buy back my $2000 machine for $1200 after a year of ownership and the offer stood for only 15 days. They refused to fix it, and would only give me 70% the value of the computer. To all those that have a Dell, watch out. The company has gone south quickly. IBM laptops are better, but they are more expensive too. I have not heard bad things about Gateway. But PLEASE stay away from Dell, for your own sanity.
sounds like you got a problem between the keyboard and the chair
Old 02-25-2002, 10:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Edub-TL

HD storage should be large, but not huge. It's not very easy to upgrade your HD though, so keep that in mind.
no its very easy -- i upgraded mine...
2.5" drive -- underneath -- one screw removed the cover, 2 more removed the HDD< put in the new one and booted up and loaded in OS -- the actual physical swapping took only about 10 min.. just a standard IDE hdd...

when buying a laptop stay away from off brands for that reason -- they'll have unreplaceable propriety junk...
stick with Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, Compaq, etc...

Look on eBay -- dells ar egood

I have an HP XE2 omnibook...

14.1" TFT, DVD, PIII 500, 128MB ram, 40GB hard drive...

i have a PCMCIA burner...
im more than happy -- i use it for internet occasional game, some photoshopping, word, etc...
Old 02-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

i mean heres a decent machine - 1GHz, DVD CDRW... 15" screen

1200 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=2004671480

stuff like that...
This toshiba looks nice:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=2005145168

Toshiba is one of the originals too... them an dIBM
Old 02-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Racer

Talking

after careful consideration and talking to a lot of people. Dell was hands down the overwhelming recommandation. So, i decided to call up Dell. Did you know that in CA, Dell doesn't charge sales tax? i swear i thought they had offices here. WOOHOO!!! no internet sales tax!!! so.. i bought my laptop.. and on my AMEX.. so i just racked up some big points. I got the Dell Inspiron 8100. 1.13 Ghz-m , 512mb ram, 30 Gig HD, 32mb Nvidia2GO (ive heard better things about the Geforce card and its not worth the extra money for the ATI just for the larger memory.. besides.. i have Geforce cards in all my computers and will have) i got the 15" uvga, and finally 8x dvd/cdr. all with a 2nd free battery, leather case, free delivery and $100 off. oh... with the 3yr warrenty.

now the other laptop i was considering was the toshiba 1.2 ghz with the geforce4 card. with only the regular warrenty. that was for only 250 less. so .... i thought with all the extra and the faster mobile processor and the 3 yr warrenty.... i thought it was worth the extra money. thx all for your inputs.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Dude, you're getting a Dell.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

DOOOOOOOOOOOD yer gettin a DELL!!!!!
lol
that guys qoot lol
i think badazzz has a sig of him
Old 02-26-2002, 07:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by N3W73|2

sounds like you got a problem between the keyboard and the chair
Are you implying user error? Cause I think not. The machine had several definite hardware issues that Dell refused to fix. REFUSED. I work with a deskside support team and can repair the machine myself, but the hardware would come at my own cost. This is unacceptable on a machine that is not only less than a year old, but has more than 3 years remaining on it's warranty.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:44 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 2001AudiS4

Are you implying user error? Cause I think not. The machine had several definite hardware issues that Dell refused to fix. REFUSED. I work with a deskside support team and can repair the machine myself, but the hardware would come at my own cost. This is unacceptable on a machine that is not only less than a year old, but has more than 3 years remaining on it's warranty.
I've had my own share of problems dealing with Dell support. The first time I used them, my graphics card went south. They sent out a GeForce replacement card (refurbished) next day. The card went south again 6-9 months later. When I call the second time, they weren't so friendly. They refused to send me another card. Because I only had parts (not service) warranty, they wanted me to debug over the phone. Their solution was for me to reformat my hard drive (UNACCEPTABLE). I spent days talking to sales and service before I finally got them to give me a crappy refurbished card again (they only did this because I flexed my corporate muscle by threatening to take our PC sales elsewhere - we only use Dell's currently).