Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

ipod/itunes gurus where are ya

Old 01-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Team ABP member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ipod/itunes gurus where are ya

So here is the deal:

facts:

- I have a 1gig shuffle
- my gf has a 512mb shuffle
- I have a ibook with her songs on there
- my desktop has all my songs

Here is what I would like to do:

- have her shuffle on my ibook and be able to add songs from my lib (on my desktop) to her shuffle.....or vice versa with my shuffle in my desktop and access her lib (on the ibook)

- plug her shuffle to my desktop and add songs from my library...and if I can plug my shuffle into the ibook and add her songs

I did a bit of digging and all I could come up with are programs that allow you to add songs from the ipod to your computer. Also I should add that I tried just plugging in her shuffle to my computer and while itunes sees her shuffle, none of the songs that she added from the ibook show. Thanks in advance for ya help.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:00 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
read these, they might be the anwser to what your looking to do:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=165242
Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Team ABP member

Those are for multiple ipods on one computer, I am looking for the opposite. This is starting to look a bit hopeless.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:24 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
is the shuffle a hard drive or flash?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
is the shuffle a hard drive or flash?
flash
Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
100k miles club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my setup at home involves an "iTunes server". this computer is the most updated out of the network. iTunes on the server is shared and the account is locked while not in use. the drive that has the song files is also shared. any computer on my network can play off the iTunes library in the server (via iTunes). if anyone wishes to get a song off the server, they login to the server and map or mount the drive onto their computer and copy the folder over locally to their iTunes library.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Team ABP member

Originally Posted by w1n78
my setup at home involves an "iTunes server". this computer is the most updated out of the network. iTunes on the server is shared and the account is locked while not in use. the drive that has the song files is also shared. any computer on my network can play off the iTunes library in the server (via iTunes). if anyone wishes to get a song off the server, they login to the server and map or mount the drive onto their computer and copy the folder over locally to their iTunes library.

Well this might be an option that I would seriously consider. I am a bit new to the world of Apple, but how would I move the song to the lib on my ibook? I have mounted drives from networked pc's before, but didnt proceed any further than that. Sucks that itunes wont allow previously configured ipod devices to just add songs.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure if this wud work with the shuffle but check it out

http://www.download.com/iPod-Agent/3...ml?tag=lst-0-3
Old 01-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Team ABP member

Originally Posted by Intox1221
not sure if this wud work with the shuffle but check it out

http://www.download.com/iPod-Agent/3...ml?tag=lst-0-3
thanks...but that wont work.....basically a hack that would disable itunes from requiring a device to be pointed to its own library would be ideal
Old 01-25-2006, 07:04 PM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Uninstall itunes then use ipod agent to put all the songs on the computers then reinstall itunes that should work. Itunes erases all your songs on your ipod if you put it on a different computer that doesnt have those songs.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:42 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by sxlova07
Well this might be an option that I would seriously consider. I am a bit new to the world of Apple, but how would I move the song to the lib on my ibook? I have mounted drives from networked pc's before, but didnt proceed any further than that. Sucks that itunes wont allow previously configured ipod devices to just add songs.
i'll try and provide more details:

- server configs:
--windows 2003
--windows user acct. just for iTunes to run
--iTunes library is on a different partition and it is shared to a group called 'Family Users' with read-only access
--log in to windows with iTunes account and run iTunes. share your library with other iTunes on the network, etc. lock the computer

- PowerMac G5
--is a member of 'Family Users' on the server
--iTunes(G5) sees the iTunes in the server and can play songs off the shared library. if i see a song, album, whatever on the server and i don't have it locally, i mount the shared library onto the G5. from there i grab whatever i need and put it onto the iTunes(G5) library folder. then from iTunes(G5) i add it to the library

iTunes allows previously configured iPods to add songs as long as it was configured on that machine. you can set to manage songs manually instead of automatically. but if you're saying any iPods then of course it won't allow it. if it did, it would be the easiest way to file share wouldn't it

as long as you keep proper permissions on the centrallized iTunes library, it shouldn't get corrupted or out of date. not sure if this setup is what you're looking for but it works for me. my G5 syncs with the server's library, while my bro can have his own library and have access to mine whenever he needs it. if any items need updating in the server library i just log in as admin and do what i have to do. though i'd suggest not using wi-fi if you're transferring a couple of albums, may take a while

longest part on the setup was trying to get the G5 to connect to the server. but it was a newb mistake on my part hope this gives you a better idea
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Team ABP member

Well w1n78 seems as though this might be the best option for me at the moment. Would it be possible to reverse the process...and retrieve songs from my ibook?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:59 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by sxlova07
Well w1n78 seems as though this might be the best option for me at the moment. Would it be possible to reverse the process...and retrieve songs from my ibook?
the files in your iTunes library in your iBook can be transferred to another iTunes library, i think that's what you're asking, right?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Team ABP member

Originally Posted by w1n78
the files in your iTunes library in your iBook can be transferred to another iTunes library, i think that's what you're asking, right?
yeah like from the ibook to my PC