Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

I hate Apple

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
My 11 Year old OS does support the same hardware. My 11 year old OS from a different company supports that hardware, while the company that produces the hardware does not support that hardware. So yeah, F-Apple.

Lion Upgrade is $29. Cannot upgrade to Lion from Tiger. So no, not $29. Also, the fact I have to search for this info which is a bit cryptic as Apple dances around it a bit. For instance, I am still trying to figure out if I can upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard without upgrading to Leopard first. I BELIEVE that there is no DRM in Snow Leopard upgrade making it possible but have not confirmed this. Every other upgrade has has DRM in place so you cannot skip (to my knowledge). Apple supports their customers by telling them, buy something new or you're out of luck. Maybe this practice would make more sense if you already didn't have the highest priced hardware out there.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...-snow-leopard/

you can upgrade from tiger directly to snow leopard.

It's not DRM...no OS X has DRM. Barring "skipping upgrades" is not DRM lol.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ez12a
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...-snow-leopard/

you can upgrade from tiger directly to snow leopard.

It's not DRM...no OS X has DRM. Barring "skipping upgrades" is not DRM lol.
Thanks. That is info I had trouble finding. The DRM term I took right from a MAC forum. I didn't understand honestly what they were referring too as I have not heard the term used in respect to an OS, but didn't find further info in the forum about it. I will probably just order the Snow Leopard upgrade disc rather then torrenting it. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM
the overexplainer

No problem.

Thanks. That is info I had trouble finding. The DRM term I took right from a MAC forum.
You could buy the disc and duplicate it for all your friends. There's no built in mechanism preventing you from doing this, and nothing preventing it from working on your friends' macs. That forum does not know what DRM is.

it has been this way since Tiger. I got the Lion "app" and Lion Server "app" through a friend.

I suppose you could say DRM in a sense that you can only install it on Mac hardware. But that's something to be expected and another whole debate. I support this limitation.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Why on earth wouldn't you just backup your shit anyways and start fresh? That's good habit every couple years IMHO.

I couldn't imagine having an Intel mac and still be in Tiger.

It is ridiculous that Apple doesn't support the iPad in 10.4 though. At least the first gen.

Last edited by maharajamd; 03-13-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ez12a
No problem.

You could buy the disc and duplicate it for all your friends. There's no built in mechanism preventing you from doing this, and nothing preventing it from working on your friends' macs. That forum does not know what DRM is.

it has been this way since Tiger. I got the Lion "app" and Lion Server "app" through a friend.

I suppose you could say DRM in a sense that you can only install it on Mac hardware. But that's something to be expected and another whole debate. I support this limitation.
I do not know a ton about Mac, but I do at least know enough to know that their software, for the most part, only works on their hardware. I have heard of people installing a virtual Mac on PC hardware, but far less common then the other way around.

I really am trying to learn more about Macs and even bought a Mac Mini so I can learn here at home and not be stuck trying to figure out how to do little things like simple networking when I am at a clients home. With a PC I am usually in and out, but Macs take me a bit longer as I am not that well versed on all things Mac. Hell even today I had a problem with a clients Macbook not being able to jump on their wireless network. I was only trying to install a network printer for them when I realized the issue with the Macbook. I didn't get to dive deep into the issue because I was asked to come back due to her not feeling well. She has to go through treatments for a severe illness.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Why on earth wouldn't you just backup your shit anyways and start fresh? That's good habit every couple years IMHO.

I couldn't imagine having an Intel mac and still be in Tiger.

It is ridiculous that Apple doesn't support the iPad in 10.4 though. At least the first gen.
This is my girlfriend's computer, and she is NOT computer savvy and gets very nervous messing with it. I setup a NAS simply for her to use and she was reluctant to use it. She just doesn't know how. I backed up all her data for her, and plan to setup Time Machine once the OS is upgraded (still unsure if reloading info from Time Machine will revert back to whatever OS was on the machine during the last backup).
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,226 Likes on 6,196 Posts
no, it won't you can just copy the data, if you boot from the OS X install CD and choose time machine restore then yes it can restore the OS too but, Time machine has no issue just restoring data and appss
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Anachostic
What's the equiv on a mac of Windows task manager or performance monitor? Maybe there's a background process consuming a lot of the CPU and drive access?
That would be Activity Monitor. Just search for it in Spotlight. I found it useful when my battery life sucked at lunch one day, because it turned out that Java didn't quit after I finished my programming class so it was still running in the background hogging up my resources.
The following users liked this post:
Anachostic (03-14-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I hate Apple
I thought Yumcha had a monopoly on this?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
the overexplainer

I do not know a ton about Mac, but I do at least know enough to know that their software, for the most part, only works on their hardware. I have heard of people installing a virtual Mac on PC hardware, but far less common then the other way around.

I really am trying to learn more about Macs and even bought a Mac Mini so I can learn here at home and not be stuck trying to figure out how to do little things like simple networking when I am at a clients home.
Yeah, you can build a hackintosh that's breaking the EULA (which has no real legal ground). Or exploit VirtualBox to run OS X. What people need to understand is Apple is not only a software company but a hardware company. The $30 dollar OS/upgrades as well as R&D are subsidized by the hardware purchases. This is one of the reasons why Apple cannot simply release OS X to any hardware platform. Not to mention the mess it would make of getting every bit of hardware out there to work. A closed model for OS X is what makes it successful. There's a reason why you dont have to download drivers if the OP, or anyone were to upgrade their OS X.

I administer and support a small group of about 25 Mac computers in my office (+ approx 120 Windows workstations) that I personally deployed with my own image. It's not very hard, and the only calls I get about them are issues with Outlook 2011 (which is a POS). Take the time to learn it and you'll find there are definitely some things done easier on Mac than Windows.

some hardware pr0n:
these are all 27" iMacs purchased just under a year ago.

Last edited by ez12a; 03-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^I'm with ya...

Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
OP: can we be friends?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Yumcha
OP: can we be friends?
Only if you wash and wax my Aston Martin, my robot that normally does it is in the shop.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,768 Likes on 13,963 Posts
A thread with a title like this deserves to be in the Ramblings HoF.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,046 Posts
Only if you wash and wax my Aston Martin, my robot that normally does it is in the shop.
I'd keep the twig away from your paint job, just a suggestion
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Well I do have to give credit where credit is due. I ordered the upgrade disc yesterday, and today it arrived by 8 am. Was free shipping too, so not bad at all. Sorry Yummy, I can't say anything bad about getting the software so fast. If you're still willing to take care of the car we can still be friends.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Well when I got home I went to work on upgrading the Macbook. Took a while, a lot longer then I expected, but went smoothly otherwise. Had to run updates after the upgrade. Was able to synch the iPad and updated the iOS on that. It's taken half a day to upgrade/update/synch everything, but finally have everything working. I do have one question that one of you may know. Can the original iPad running iOS 5.1 mirror to a AppleTV? My iPad2 does with no issue but the option does not come up on the original iPad.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,847 Likes on 2,586 Posts
OG iPad can NOT mirror on apple TV. certain apps don't run on it...higher vid requirements of the ipad2.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
OG iPad can NOT mirror on apple TV. certain apps don't run on it...higher vid requirements of the ipad2.
Ok. It's not a feature we use much. The only thing we have really used it for was when my gf missed an episode of Grey's Anatomy I streamed it off the ABC app and mirrored to AppleTV.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I think I forgot to mention but I also ordered memory from Crucial.com to max it out at 4 GB. It came today and I just installed it. I do have to say for a machine of it's age, it is very fast with the new memory and OS. I will downgrade my title of this thread to dislike. It's a step in the right direction at least. Sorry Yummy.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
And the cost of a 500GB SSD drive is still retarded right now...which is what I would do.
Why?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Why?
Because my iMac is currently running a 500GB HD, and seeing how that machine is used, its the minimum I would need for it.

Why SSD....because after seeing the performance increase it had on my MBP...there is no other option.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Because my iMac is currently running a 500GB HD, and seeing how that machine is used, its the minimum I would need for it.

Why SSD....because after seeing the performance increase it had on my MBP...there is no other option.
Why not just get a 160 or something (that is pretty affordable now) for your boot drive (with programs) and keep all of your important data on a second regular HD?

Much cheaper.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

My love for Apple isn't exactly increasing when I tried to turn on my Mac Mini today and it was completely dead. Try doing PMU and SMC reset that I found on Apple's site. Nothing. Drove the 30+ minutes to the nearest Apple store to make one of the couple of appointments they had available, right in the middle of the day forcing me to change my plans. The "genius" plugged it in, pressed the button, and said you need a new logic board, its ~$400. He didn't even grab a different power cord, cause he said he didn't want to have to go look for one, so he plugged my power cord into his power adaptor.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Is the cord bad of the logic board?
Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
The Third Ball

mmm. logic board is their "general" problem ID when they don't know whats wrong since basically everything is tied into the logic board.

I guess it depends on the power supply is built into the board at all or not. That could be the issue as well.

Sounds like you got one of the shitty lazy genius bar people (there didn't used to be too many, but as everything has gotten bigger, its one of those BS thing that happens) Take it to another store...try for a less peak time of day if possible.

$400 for a logic board sounds stupid also...i mean on the 24" iMac...my version i think if that was case it was like $320.

either way...400 bucks is a new mac mini.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

mmm. logic board is their "general" problem ID when they don't know whats wrong since basically everything is tied into the logic board.

I guess it depends on the power supply is built into the board at all or not. That could be the issue as well.

Sounds like you got one of the shitty lazy genius bar people (there didn't used to be too many, but as everything has gotten bigger, its one of those BS thing that happens) Take it to another store...try for a less peak time of day if possible.

$400 for a logic board sounds stupid also...i mean on the 24" iMac...my version i think if that was case it was like $320.

either way...400 bucks is a new mac mini.
It's not quite a new Mini, but close enough. I think he said it was like $392 (could be a few bucks off). I'm going to have to take it to another store, which is a pita. It will require making another 40 minute drive each way, and dealing with a pain in the ass mall that I can't stand going to. The store I went to today was pretty much on the Yale campus. I thought the staff would all be younger people as most Apple Stores seem to be. The guy I got was probably late 40's to early 50's. He decided real quick that it was the logic board. It annoys the shit out of me that all these Mac's have proprietary power cords. I really want to try another cord before deciding anything and will require another drive to do that. I wish I thought of it earlier but I wasn't thinking straight as I was already pissed at the situation, and then hearing him immediately tell me it would be $400. He actually looked up the price BEFORE he tested anything.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Ive never really had a bad experience at the Genius bar (granted Ive only gone once or twice).
Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Ive never really had a bad experience at the Genius bar (granted Ive only gone once or twice).
I hadn't before either. This time just felt like the guy didn't want to spend any time to really figure anything out. I mean when he actually said he didn't feel like looking for a power cord and said he'd just use mine, I was like
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
The Third Ball

Ive never had a bad experience...I do feel like I got a guy who didn't really know what he was doing...so I went to s different store.

But I do feel like seeing a trend where the busier the stores are, the less inclined some of the genius' are to actually take the time and work a problem out. They get stressed by the crowds.

The good people stay pretty zen and don't let the crowds get to them.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Ive never had a bad experience...I do feel like I got a guy who didn't really know what he was doing...so I went to s different store.

But I do feel like seeing a trend where the busier the stores are, the less inclined some of the genius' are to actually take the time and work a problem out. They get stressed by the crowds.

The good people stay pretty zen and don't let the crowds get to them.
The last time I went was to bring my MIL's iMac that was having a lot of performance problems. That was not to this store near Yale, but the other one I would end up going to in the mall. The guy there was great and took his time, and even upgraded her OS for free. Today was not the same service. After throwing a few grand at my van for repairs, I simply cannot afford to buy another computer right now, so I might be macless once again.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

I highly doubt it was the cord, if he replaced the adapter then that's what's going to fail. Unless there's visual damage to the cord then I wouldn't worry at all that it's the cable. Cables usually sit somewhere hidden away and aren't exposed to any damage so the shouldn't fail, unless you had a really bad kink in it or a rat chewed on it, it's not going to fail. That's why he didn't bother to look for one.

If he confirmed that it wasn't the power adapter then you should be able to swap cord and test it yourself, you probably have a similar one in your house.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
I highly doubt it was the cord, if he replaced the adapter then that's what's going to fail. Unless there's visual damage to the cord then I wouldn't worry at all that it's the cable. Cables usually sit somewhere hidden away and aren't exposed to any damage so the shouldn't fail, unless you had a really bad kink in it or a rat chewed on it, it's not going to fail. That's why he didn't bother to look for one.

If he confirmed that it wasn't the power adapter then you should be able to swap cord and test it yourself, you probably have a similar one in your house.
It probably isn't, but I had to drive over a half hour to get there to meet with him at the time they wanted basically, since I had to set up an appointment, the least he could do is grab a new wire to test. I troubleshoot system all the time for my clients. Sometimes the stupidest thing is the cause of all problems. You can't overlook anything. This guy was just lazy.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Well I replaced my Mini with an old Macbook I picked up on eBay. I can't afford to put too much money into a new computer right now. Had to spend a few grand on my van on repairs this month, just spend almost a grand today for some tests for my dog at the vet, plus a few other unforseen things that have popped up. So this will do. It's not bad, white 13" Macbook with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and came with 1 GB of RAM. Already upgraded it with 4 GB (only uses 3 of the 4 GB) from Crucial. It's running Snow Leopard. The memory made a huge difference. Activity Monitor shows that with just Safari open, it was utilizing about 985 MB of the 1 GB of RAM. So it was not happy. Much better now. Case was a little dirty, but cleaned it up and its nice and white as it should be now. Not too bad. Paid a little over $300 for it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:28 PM
The Third Ball

not bad for 300 bux.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

not bad for 300 bux.
Not too bad. I wanted to get a used one to try and use for work anyway. I can transfer my parallels license from to this machine so I will setup Windows on here. Probably XP, as some hardware still does not play nice with 7, and most does is not compatible at all with Mac OS. I will get another Mini probably down the road after I save up some after the last month + of big spending.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy, who is a member on this site, and an Apple nut hugger, needed me to activate his Ipad because his 2 year old Mac couldn't do it. So i grabbed an 8 year old laptop with windows XP on it, and activated it for him. Sure enough, he was embarrassed.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I don't think you need to plug your ipad into a PC to activate it at all anymore. I didn't with my iPad 3, it's all done on the device.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by bigman
My buddy, who is a member on this site, and an Apple nut hugger, needed me to activate his Ipad because his 2 year old Mac couldn't do it. So i grabbed an 8 year old laptop with windows XP on it, and activated it for him. Sure enough, he was embarrassed.
The age of the computers has nothing to do with it...your friend just must not know what he is doing.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
My 4 year old mac had no problem doing my iOS devices.

Quick Reply: I hate Apple