Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

getting protected .wma files into itunes?!

Old 07-11-2005 | 02:37 AM
goldeneye style

getting protected .wma files into itunes?!

hey this is one of those boring i donno wtf is going on i need help threads

so anyways i went out and bought the new foo fighters cd cuz its pretty good and so i own it right... then its got this re-write protection crap on the disc so you cant import it into itunes... it only lets you go thru their software and save it on your comp as protected .wma files (which wont import to itunes or play in itunes etc etc) so i cant put them on my ipod

so basically i need to get these songs into .mp3 or .m4a format or somethin man cuz i wanna get em on my ipod for when im travellin and such. anybody got any suggestions how i can get the songs into itunes or out of protected .wma format?! or am i just screwed here?

oh yea and and i tried all the obvious stuff and messed around with the cd and tried everything but can only get em to rip as protected wma files
Old 07-11-2005 | 03:07 AM
Banned

You would have to do a lot of conversions. The problem with that is that the resulting MP3 sounds worse than the original WMA file since you have transcoded it. The only way you could get your protected WMA files to play in iTunes without losing quality would be to use that tool to convert them to PCM Wave, then use something like dBpowerAMP Music Converter to convert them to AIFF, and then play them back in iTunes. Of course then each music file will take up 30-odd megabytes because iTunes doesn’t support any losslessly compressed audio formats, such as FLAC, OptimFROG, WavPack or Monkey’s Audio. If Apple added plugin support, however…then everything would be peachy
Old 07-11-2005 | 09:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Xenogen
Of course then each music file will take up 30-odd megabytes because iTunes doesn’t support any losslessly compressed audio formats, such as FLAC, OptimFROG, WavPack or Monkey’s Audio.
http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2004/May...s_encoder.html

Originally Posted by Xenogen
If Apple added plugin support, however…then everything would be peachy