Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Getting out of your cell-phone contract

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting out of your cell-phone contract

I was just wondering if anyone got out of your cell phone contract? I have T-Mobile and it sucks bad! I get no cell service where I work and at most other places. My phone is dialing ramdom numbers by itself. And my dumb ass thought the insurance ive been paying on the phone dont cover the whole replacement cost. And the customer service sucks alot. They also jacked up my billing a few times. I just want to get some ideas how to get out of your contract without paying the 200 fee. At this point im pissed off how they are not providing me with a service I expect ie: able to use my phone when I need too. IMO the contract is in valid now so I should be able to cancel. I already file an complaint to the BBB and now im working on a letter to T-Mobile. Let me know what you guys think, if im in the wrong and any ideas to solve this problem. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been trying the same thing with AT&T because I don't get good enough service at home. They basically said I can't get out of it. They told me to email our corporate respresentatives but they have not replied at all.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob289
I was just wondering if anyone got out of your cell phone contract? I have T-Mobile and it sucks bad! I get no cell service where I work and at most other places. My phone is dialing ramdom numbers by itself. And my dumb ass thought the insurance ive been paying on the phone dont cover the whole replacement cost. And the customer service sucks alot. They also jacked up my billing a few times. I just want to get some ideas how to get out of your contract without paying the 200 fee. At this point im pissed off how they are not providing me with a service I expect ie: able to use my phone when I need too. IMO the contract is in valid now so I should be able to cancel. I already file an complaint to the BBB and now im working on a letter to T-Mobile. Let me know what you guys think, if im in the wrong and any ideas to solve this problem. Thanks.
Your post is very vague and does not offer enough details for anyone to help you.

1) You should've done research before going with T-mobile if you dont' get decent reception in your area.

2) Phone dialing random numbers is probably due to the device, not the service.

3) Insurance through ANY carrier will not cover the entire price of the phone, there is ALWAYS a deductible to deter people who will just bash their phones so they can get a new one. Should have done research into this, because it's not a "hidden" fact.

4) How is your billing "jacked" up? This is probably the only way you can get out of your contract, but you haven't given us any details on how they "jacked" up your bill. If you are on a fixed minutes plan and they increased the per minute charge, or if you are on a text message plan and they increased the per text message charge, then you may have a way out.

5) as for customer service, T-mobile is probably one of the best out there. I have had them all...Verizon, Cingular, t-mo, and T-mo is by far the best.

Maybe they have no idea how to help you because you are so vague with them, such as how you are so vague with us.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned

I hope your letters have been grammar and spell checked prior to being mailed.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 AM
I can't find my garage

i read in an article a while back. u can lie to them. u can command them to terminate ur service due to federal reasons. one being, going to marines outa country or sumin...i dont remember well~
Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
If it was Sprint, all you had to do was to complain too much, and they would get out of the contract without any penalty.

I dunno though, if I were you I would just pay the cancellation fee and be done with it. Sounds like that would be a lot better than putting up with them.

That is one reason I don't sign contracts because chances are I would be unhappy with some part of the service and would want to get out without any penalty. I had a one year contract with Cingular (AT&T) back in 04 - 05 and I haven't signed a new one since, eventhough they constantly try to get me to sign a contract and get a "free" phone. I still have them, but I just buy my phones out my own pocket now so when I get fed up with them I'll just go elsewhere.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 08-13-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Your post is very vague and does not offer enough details for anyone to help you.

1) You should've done research before going with T-mobile if you dont' get decent reception in your area.

2) Phone dialing random numbers is probably due to the device, not the service.

3) Insurance through ANY carrier will not cover the entire price of the phone, there is ALWAYS a deductible to deter people who will just bash their phones so they can get a new one. Should have done research into this, because it's not a "hidden" fact.

4) How is your billing "jacked" up? This is probably the only way you can get out of your contract, but you haven't given us any details on how they "jacked" up your bill. If you are on a fixed minutes plan and they increased the per minute charge, or if you are on a text message plan and they increased the per text message charge, then you may have a way out.

5) as for customer service, T-mobile is probably one of the best out there. I have had them all...Verizon, Cingular, t-mo, and T-mo is by far the best.

Maybe they have no idea how to help you because you are so vague with them, such as how you are so vague with us.
Well first off of course if I have done the reasearch all this would have never have happaned. But thats neither here or there. What Im looking for is some help not some how many ways that I could have done things. Im not attack you in any way I just find it funny when people ask for help but get a lecture.

- Phone dialing random numbers, yes its the phones fault not the service. But being that I bought the phone dont T-Mobile have some sort of responability to rectify the problem. I would say Its broken by its self not me braking it.

- Yes the insurance is my fault that I didnt understand how it worked but I was under the impression that It would cover a new phone in the event of brakage. If you count all the pass payments it would equal to a new phone without paying an deductible. So why should I pay extra.

- The billing being "jacked up" is when I switch my credit card to a different card. It should have been an "auto pay" thing. Guess what it didnt auto pay and I had a late payment. And on top of that when I asked about a late payment fee they said "I dont know now but I looks like you will not get an late charge". Ok how am I getting the late fee when I didnt screw up. On top of that they couldnt tell me a stright answer. I had to make several call to clear up this miss understanding.

- On top of that I do not get service where I work. Every other cell phone company like Cinglar and Verizon is getting a singal but me.

- Please dont take this as me yelling/flaming you. I dont want this to be a flamefest. Im just trying to answer/clear some of your questions.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have verizon for many many years. About 2 years ago I switched two nextel because I liked the idea of having the push-to-talk feature. Nextel gave me a hell of a deal I got 2 of their top of the line phones for $99 each, they were selling for $425 at the time. Well it all seemed great and then the trouble began. I could never get service anywhere when I needed it and would always get disconnected during calls. My wife tried calling me many times and she would simply get a message "please wait while we attempt to locate the nextel subscriber".... Well this went on for several months and finally I had it. I tried returning the phones to the kiosk and they were no help of course. Finally after another month or two, I terminated my contract and was happily back with verizon. I have substationally great credited but I refused to pay the early term fee of $200 per line x two. Once I receieved the bill, I sent it directly to Corporate headquarters and without making my story even longer, they finally waived all associated fees. It was well documented on my account the numerous times I had called and complained about dropped calls, no service etc.. This allowed corporate hq to close my account without any termination fees. I assume since you have been displeased with your service that you have complained on many occasions. I would attempt calling corporate to have the fees waived, if they refuse tell them to note your service issues and ask for a "credit" towards the next month of service in hopes of it getting better. I would use that next month to write corporate hq a letter and hopefully they will be willing to understand your frustration and just cut all ties. It will be easier for them to do that than to waste their time trying to make you happy.

My suggestion..... Get Verizon! I'm sorry for this long post, it just back some memories and felt like I needed to vent a little... Nextel F** sucks, lol
Old 08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
when i was in the military, i would always get out of my contract by telling them i was getting deployed. some people ask for paperwork some people don't. im not sure with t-mobile since i haven't had problems with them.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Woot Woot! Got out of the cell contract! What it boiled down to was I dont recive a signal at work. Plus the other problems just compounded the problem. Also the BBB works! After a few days they called me trying to fix this. Since I was so displeased with the service I opt to end my service at the end of the month. The funny part was with my original conversion with the T-Mobile supervisor I explained I will file a complant with the BBB and he egged me on.

Me- "This is not how you should do buiness with people and I will have to contact the BBB"
Supervisor- "go ahead"

Lol, I bet he figure I would forget to file a complaint and just go away.

Final score:
Me- +1
T-Mobile- ZERO!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Race Director

Just tell them You are illegal and being deported
Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raheel
Just tell them You are illegal and being deported
lol. I might have gone to that if they didnt already released me from the contract.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

im with att with no contract, originally when i started with them i told them i was suppose to be on a one year instead of a two and they said no this and that, but i kept at it and first time it didnt work. I call in a month later asking if my contract haave been changed to a one year and the lady said no, so i demanded to speak with a supervisor, and i told her they told me itll be fixed by my next billing cycle, after a 10 minute hold she came on saying ok shell go ahead and make it a one year and since i was in the third month, i just had 9 more to go plus got nights starting at 7 for free.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by harminder247
im with att with no contract, originally when i started with them i told them i was suppose to be on a one year instead of a two and they said no this and that, but i kept at it and first time it didnt work. I call in a month later asking if my contract haave been changed to a one year and the lady said no, so i demanded to speak with a supervisor, and i told her they told me itll be fixed by my next billing cycle, after a 10 minute hold she came on saying ok shell go ahead and make it a one year and since i was in the third month, i just had 9 more to go plus got nights starting at 7 for free.

Get on the new T-Mobile FLex Pay, NO CONTRACT, NO CREDIT CHECK, NO GOING OVER, and get better minutes than Cingular for the money, only catch you end up paying more for a phone as you dont get a discounted contract price, but who cares, Pay $200-300 for a phone and save being in a 24 month Contract