Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Getting out of AT&T service; no service. New phone help?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,191 Likes on 693 Posts
Getting out of AT&T service; no service. New phone help?

Always had unlocked iPhones on tmobile with great service then I got a 4 on AT&T since I killed my 3GS on TMO and wanted the unlockable 4. From day one in south Florida, service was dismal. First two days (Nov 2010) it would take at least two times to send a text so best buy gave me a new 4 and it got better.

I have complained on and off about service when I'm bored, changed out Sims and convinced apple to replace my 4 in Atlanta (jan 2011) after a ton of dropped calls. Moved to VA in May for work and my service is unusable. Regardless of what service appears to be, within 60 secs it drops the call. I have used my work phone so I don't think about it much and everyone calls my work phone because my iPhone is a running joke with friends and family. I used to use 2,000 plus mins a month and last month I used 63 plus mobile to mobile from the gf (only since it is free for her and I'm home for her drive home and don't move to keep service).

I have been annoyed and then they mistakenly dropped my text plan and I didn't get any texts and apparently didn't send any for the last 10 days. I thought it was odd I received no answers but again, everyone calls or texts my work phone. That pissed me off big time and I cannot get out without a $205 ETF. They offered to make me eligible for an early upgrade but is the service any better on other phones? They still want me to pay for a phone just a reduced rate but I am pissed I have had no service and now I have to buy another phone. Options? Thoughts? I have called easy 20 times in the last few months

Cliffs:
Bought iPhone 4 in Miami and service was bad
Moved to va for work, service is unuseable
Won't waive ETF
Will new phone make a difference?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
It sounds like you need a new carrier not a new phone. You need to ask around your area and see which one has great coverage wherever you live and work at. I've been with AT&T ever since they were Cingular and my reception at home has never improved all those years. Luckily, I was able to get a MicroCell to fix the reception at home but it doesn't fix the reception problems outside of home. (Supposedly, if they have enough logs in your account, you can get one for free. Doesn't hurt to try. I bought mine on Craigslist brand new for a good price.) Last week I had to borrow someone's phone because I had no signal. It was kinda embarrassing.

You can try looking at the following sites to see what's good around your area. Unfortunately, the maps are user made so depending on who's been mapping around your area, it may be hit or miss in terms of data. With that said, the info is a lot more accurate than the carriers. I mapped out some areas in Miami when I lived there and I had the same experience with AT&T down there. I had no reception in my apartment unless I stood at one corner of my room. lol.

www.cellumap.com

www.coveragemapper.com
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks for the information. I am thinking it really isn't the phone and the service that is the problem too but of course ATT is trying to convince me otherwise. I cover VA, MD, DE so it is hard just to pick a spot where I need service and I don't think it is too much to ask to have some service throughout most of those states. I have a Blackberry on Verizon for work and I think I have dropped one call in the last few months and I am on it all day.

I am just having a hard time with the fact I have had no service for the last few months, have paid for that, and now have another $205 ETF plus a new phone since my iPhone 4 isn't unlockable, to pay for. I don't even want a new galaxy S or whatever and I don't mind paying for the cell service, I just want it to work so I can keep work and personal separate.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I spend a lot of time in NoVA and ATT service is pretty damn good, so I'm guessing you're in "real virginia"?

Is the problem mostly at home or on the road? ATT will give you a picocell to put at home if you ask enough - it's basically a cell tower for your house - uses your internet connection to connect to their network.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Thanks for the information. I am thinking it really isn't the phone and the service that is the problem too but of course ATT is trying to convince me otherwise. I cover VA, MD, DE so it is hard just to pick a spot where I need service and I don't think it is too much to ask to have some service throughout most of those states. I have a Blackberry on Verizon for work and I think I have dropped one call in the last few months and I am on it all day.

I am just having a hard time with the fact I have had no service for the last few months, have paid for that, and now have another $205 ETF plus a new phone since my iPhone 4 isn't unlockable, to pay for. I don't even want a new galaxy S or whatever and I don't mind paying for the cell service, I just want it to work so I can keep work and personal separate.
I totally forgot to mention the Wilson Signal Boosters.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/products.aspx

They have different antennas for different needs and can get costly. I suggest you read the reviews on each one. Its an option to take if you want to stick with AT&T. My uncle used to have one in his car and it worked and it was something I considered back in the day. You can probably find them on eBay or Craigslist as well for a good price.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

You can find video reviews of them as well like so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C81AiSNiSdU
Old 11-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks for the links and I technically live in NoVa, Reston, but I'm in Richmond a lot because my gf is there. Either place my service is awful and like I said, I cover all of VA, MD, and DE for work so a lot of travel.

At this point, if it was the phone, I would just buy another and eBay the iPhone but I'm really hating ATT and I have had a few 4s with same dismal service. I'm tempted to buy a 4S because ATT will give me a full discount plus an additional $50 off, sell it new on ebay, sell my 4 on ebay, and then while my ETF goes up to $325 from $205, I think I could still come out ahead and buy another 4S through Verizon with the money left over from the sales. I just have to have ATT service another month then port my number, ebay the phones.

Edit - The booster is crazy!

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 11-20-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Iphone
Old 11-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Thanks for the links and I technically live in NoVa, Reston, but I'm in Richmond a lot because my gf is there. Either place my service is awful and like I said, I cover all of VA, MD, and DE for work so a lot of travel.

At this point, if it was the phone, I would just buy another and eBay the iPhone but I'm really hating ATT and I have had a few 4s with same dismal service. I'm tempted to buy a 4S because ATT will give me a full discount plus an additional $50 off, sell it new on ebay, sell my 4 on ebay, and then while my ETF goes up to $325 from $205, I think I could still come out ahead and buy another 4S through Verizon with the money left over from the sales. I just have to have ATT service another month then port my number, ebay the phones.

Edit - The booster is crazy!
Yeah the booster is cool. I'm actually thinking of picking up one just in case since prices have dropped since they first released. Amazon has a kit with the booster for in car and in home use with the Wilson Sleek:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electro...1810336&sr=8-2

The booster also works with a MiFi and what ever other microcells that can fit into the cradle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Z0nUiK6eA

Here it is with the iPhone showing the boost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OiOK0EFLeg

The only downside I see is that the phone has to be in the cradle for it to get the boost.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Yea, the cradle is a killer but I try to use the earbuds instead of holding it so it could work. I think I'm more annoyed at the whole situation and don't want to give ATT any more of my money. I have noted most of my customer service calls, outcomes, who I spoke with, just emailed every ATT "exec" I could find, and am going to use the hell out of the phone for the next two weeks to note all drops and then report it to the FCC. I will probably not get anywhere but at least I will feel marginally better

I just was curious if the phone really made a difference or it was the service.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Sounds like an iPhone problem to me. I'm in Northern VA and been to Reston with no dropped calls from AT&T.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
That girl is pretty cute.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
escalate the situation. you can get it cancelled if you have no service. it may take a while but they will give in.

the 4 is unlockable easily.

http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/11/how-t...s-without.html
The following users liked this post:
1StGenCL (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I did it, emailed the "president's office" and they called me the next day saying they were going to wave the ETF. Woot!

Phee - mod my i says there is no unlock unless you are on baseband 1.59.00 and they are on top of these things so I'm skeptical. I have unlocked well over 100 iPhones so I am usually up to date. I'll have to look into it, thanks!