Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Cell Phone Service Provider: Contract/postpaid (big 4) vs. prepaid/no-contract/MNVO

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Cell Phone Service Provider: Contract/postpaid (big 4) vs. prepaid/no-contract/MNVO

I'm at a "mobile crossroads" if you will, and looking for some advice from the experts.

The big 4 I'm talking about are Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint, and the rest are the smaller no contract companies that piggyback on their networks (Boost Mobile, Cricket Wireless, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Virgin Mobile, and a bunch of other smaller ones. See 2nd article below). I've been researching this a lot before I make my next move and have found articles like these helpful:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575...ones-unlocked/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp

Based on my needs and what I've read, it seems to only make sense for me to go with one of the no-contract prepaid companies if I want to save the most money. I'm aware that the big 4 offer no-contract plans, but it seems they still can't touch the prices of some of these smaller companies.

I've never used these smaller prepaid companies, so I'm not sure about some things. Anyone that has used them before have any pros/cons about them?

I live in a very rural area, so one of the things I worry about is the cell phone service. I get decent service with AT&T now at my house and great everywhere else, and most of my friends say Verizon is good here, so I'll probably use a company that piggybacks on one of these networks (have heard the other two networks are garbage, around here at least).

I need a new phone, and plan to buy an unlocked phone and use it with one of these pre-paid companies, which should work fine from what I've read. Any advice on doing this?

TIA! I'm curious to see what everyone is using. It amazes me what some people are willing to spend per month on this...something I can't justify, which is why I'm reading what I can find and asking on here
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM

And if you think you have a good deal with a company and don't mind listing some of the details (like prices), please post!

Being the tech person in my family, I'm also trying to help some of them with this stuff, so anything is good since their needs differ from mine.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
These would be of help:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10...and-post-paid/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1455014

If Google and Dish have their way and create the rumored Wireless carrier next year, then you can expect Pre-paid plans to become more popular like they are in other countries. Let's hope the rumor is real so that the cell phone prices will finally come down as they should and stop raping us with their crazy prices.
The following users liked this post:
WILLDOGS (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow this thread is of interest to me. I'm out of contract with verizon and tired of paying the ridiculous bill. Also I'm in desperate need of a new phone and after doing my research I think I will do the new nexus 4 (when back in stock) with tmobile monthly 4g. If tmobile sucks I will switch to straight talk wireless as they use both AT&T and tmobile antennas and seem to have the best service of the lower tier prepaid.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm a long time AT&T user on a grandfathered data plan. I was going to switch to Straight Talk (Walmart) but they limit your unlimited data plan and can discontinue your service. i

Check Howard Forum for lots of user feedback on all of the carriers.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...ier-Discussion

Last edited by MR1; 11-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MR1
I'm a long time AT&T user on a grandfathered data plan. I was going to switch to Straight Talk (Walmart) but they limit your unlimited data plan and can discontinue your service. i

Check Howard Forum for lots of user feedback on all of the carriers.
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...ier-Discussion
Do you have a thread where someone got cut off from it? I've read a good portion of the one on XDA and I haven't seen any mention anyone getting cut off from the service although I could see that happening if someone was abusing it.

As far as the data, each one is different. The T-Mobile Straight Talk is unlmited data but you get throttled to EDGE speeds after 5 GB. I'm guessing most people moving to these plans won't be using up that much data. If you are planning to use that much, you're better off keeping your grandfathered unlimited plan. Even those will be going away eventually as carriers try to get people into shared data plans so they can make more money.

EDIT:

Just an update: It appears that you can use considerably more than 100 MB of data in a day without trouble. There have been reports on Hofo of using 150 MB to 450 MB in a single day without issues. However, the reports also seem to indicate that above 2GB in a 30-day service period might result in throttling.

I plan to update this FAQ in the next month or so.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post14970564

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 11-18-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

More info from XDA:

I was curious of ST's "Data Limits" myself but rarely went over 100MB in a day... Then Sandy came along and boom, my usage went up. Here's what I found.

Data Caps
- Definitely no caps on 100 or 150MB. (after my large data spree I did recieve an bearly audable, automated message from ST saying something about "excessive data use." I would assume this was the day or two I used tethering (see the spikes in the attached screenshot)
- So far no cut off(see images for specific numbers, my data usage was 600+MB one day. Only crapy-quality automated calls from ST... no idea what they said)
Throttling
- No throttling I could tell of. I don't have any data to back that assumption up but nor have I seen any suggesting throttling is happening.
Tethering
- (Please correct me if I'm wrong) ST has no way of knowing when you are "tethered."
As this screenshot shows, I had over 400MB of tethering recorded by my phone (It's amazing what no power/internet does to you and then you put down all that peacefulness and realize you can tether...) and there was no notification from ST about tethering.

As of 11 days into my 30 plan:
2.13GB - Data Used
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2846
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Do you have a thread where someone got cut off from it? I've read a good portion of the one on XDA and I haven't seen any mention anyone getting cut off from the service although I could see that happening if someone was abusing it.

As far as the data, each one is different. The T-Mobile Straight Talk is unlmited data but you get throttled to EDGE speeds after 5 GB. I'm guessing most people moving to these plans won't be using up that much data. If you are planning to use that much, you're better off keeping your grandfathered unlimited plan. Even those will be going away eventually as carriers try to get people into shared data plans so they can make more money.

EDIT:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post14970564
There were threads on HOFO where people said they were cut off on ST for excessive data usage of over 2GB month for multiple months. I average at least twice that much so will keep my grandfathered plan right now. I had already purchased a ST sim and prepaid one month but I don't want to risk it.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Safety Car

^Makes sense. They probably give a warning now instead of cutting people off completely. At least, that's what I'm reading from the different threads. When it first started they cut off people who abused it immediately but it seems to be different now they just throttle you it seems. Also, back then you couldn't bring just any phone into the pre-paid plans as you had to buy one of their approved ones. Now as long as its unlocked and works on their bands you're good to go. But yeah, definitely, if you're planning to use a lot of data, stay away from these plans for now.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Bump

I went with T-Mobile Unlimited 4G, unlimited text, and 100 minutes, no contract, for $30 a month. Activation and SIM card was shipped to my house for like $1. Only good for new activations/first time customers. I couldn't find another plan that could even compare for this price, so I had nothing to lose trying this out. Obviously I can switch to something else in the future with no penalty since there's no contract.

Yes the minutes are low, but I don't mind using Google Voice to make calls when I'm at home. I'm figuring out a VOIP through Wifi/4G solution as well when I'm not at home that doesn't use plan minutes. When that doesn't work, it's 10 cents a minutes after 100, so I'm not worried about paying a little if need be, but it won't be a problem for me. I do more texting anyways and would rather make long calls at home on the computer.

I live in a very rural area, and get incredible service at my house without using Wifi, much better than any other carrier works at my house. 4G has been widely available in urban areas around here.

I bought a new, unlocked Samsung Exhibit II 4G on Ebay for $220 that came with all accessories. Also got 32GB sdhc card and loaded all music. I haven't got to play with it as much as I would like, but so far it's been great. I don't know much about rooting and loading something like CM10 or whatever, but it's something I'll research further and consider if there's not too much risk. Lots of bloatware on it, which was expected. Has Android 2.3 on it.

I've been asking friends and family what they pay, and continually hear between $60 - $100 a month on contract, which I find ridiculous. Most don't think the way I'm doing things is a good idea, but I really don't see why not. The money saved is worth every minute of effort it takes to figure out.

Anyways, just wanted to update and see what everybody else has done.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
From what I gather, subsidized phones will go away in the next 2 years. Will the Big 4 lower their cell/data plans... probably not. But without contracts you can jump ships a lot more and maybe force some competition in service pricing.

The two reasons I've stuck with ATT is the coverage is good in my area, and I have tens of thousands rollover minutes that basically turns the family plan into unlimited talk. My gripe is the data plan as I use wi-fi 90% of the time.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Glad it's working for you OP. I'm stuck on my unlimited everything AT&T for $100/mo. Problem is I talk over 1000 minutes and average over 5gb data per month.

I think after you spend $100 for minutes @ T-Mo your minutes last for a year. Works great for my wife. We spend less than $50/year for her prepay.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by MR1
Glad it's working for you OP. I'm stuck on my unlimited everything AT&T for $100/mo. Problem is I talk over 1000 minutes and average over 5gb data per month.

I think after you spend $100 for minutes @ T-Mo your minutes last for a year. Works great for my wife. We spend less than $50/year for her prepay.
Thanks, it definitely wouldn't work for everyone like yourself.

The no contract and unlocked phone is great though, since in 6 months or so this might not work for me anymore and I can move to whatever I want (on a signal my phone will work on of course).

I've been trying to educate people I know that there are other options out there. Most end up signing another contract because they get the newest phone cheap. However, sometimes paying full price for a phone up front and saving X amount each month on the bill will actually save money in the long run.

I wasn't aware of this. Just to be clear, you're saying if you buy over $100 worth of minutes, the minutes only expire after a calendar year and not after the end of the month?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Professor
From what I gather, subsidized phones will go away in the next 2 years. Will the Big 4 lower their cell/data plans... probably not. But without contracts you can jump ships a lot more and maybe force some competition in service pricing.

The two reasons I've stuck with ATT is the coverage is good in my area, and I have tens of thousands rollover minutes that basically turns the family plan into unlimited talk. My gripe is the data plan as I use wi-fi 90% of the time.
Things are definitely changing, for the better I think. A lot of people don't explore their options though. Don't have a clue what unlocked phones are, don't really research what other options are out there, etc.

About family plans...this is what I just got away from. I was managing it, and it was a lot of work trying to help the others off the plan without getting screwed, find something else, get a good phone, etc. I'm the tech guy of the family so I took it upon myself to make sure they got what was best for their needs. Not trying to sound selfish though, I was glad to help. Just glad it's all over with and sorted out
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
FWIW, my wife and two daughters all use Virgin Mobile since 2005. Been fairly happy with the plans and service. All have 3G Android phones.

The issues I've had are with the automatic credit card transactions not always going through. VM has made some recent changes to their website that has improved payment with credit cards recently.

My daughters issue is they think using VM make them look "ghetto" to their classmates.