Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Brainstorm to get me out of my verizon contract...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Professional Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brainstorm to get me out of my verizon contract...

So myself along with the rest of the free world wants to hop over to AT&T for the iPhone on Friday. I'm currently stuck in my verizon contract until 11/07, BUT I am due for a "new every 2" phone already (I had to sign up for a new data plan and extend my contract).

My best thought of getting out of my contract was to get a new every 2 phone (the new Razr or LG....) with the discount and sell it on Ebay to help defray the $175 cancellation fee. Then just switch over to AT&T. I'm sure there's a more efficient/practical way out there, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I currently have a Motorola Q, which I would also pawn off on Ebay in the process.

Thx for the suggestions.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's about the stimplest way. If you have $599 to spend on the iphone, then you can get over the early termination fee using your ebay idea.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Doesn't the new phone extend your Verizon contract?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Professional Lurker

yes it will extend it, but the termination fee will be $175 regardless of how much time is left on the contract.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here you go:

Ok I have cancelled 5 peoples accounts this way. It is simple and effective and no arguing.

1. Call *611
2. Select 4 on options
3. Select 2 which should be cancellations
4. Say good day I read about the text message increase and as stated in my contract I would like to cancel. And read them this:

UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE."

Snoozing also stated you can use this if they state Text messaging is not part of your plan/contract

Charges and Fees We Set
∞ You agree to pay all access, usage, and other charges and fees we bill you or that the user of your wireless phone accepted, even if you weren't the user of your wireless phone and didn't authorize its use. These include Federal Universal Service, Regulatory and Administrative Charges, and may also include other charges related to our governmental costs. We set these charges. They aren't taxes, aren't required by law, are kept by us in whole or in part, and the amounts and what's included are subject to change. You may have to pay fees to begin service or reconnect suspended service. Usage charges may vary depending on where, when, and how you call. You have a Home Rate and Coverage Area and a Local Calling Area (which may be different). When you call from inside a Local Calling Area to somewhere outside of it, or call from anywhere outside a Local Calling Area, there may be toll, regional calling, or long distance charges in addition to airtime. (We provide or select the long distance service for calls on our network.) When you make a call inside your Local Calling Area that uses a local phone company's lines (for example, a call to a typical home phone number), we may charge landline or connection fees. We charge airtime for most calls, including toll-free and operator-assisted calls. Additional features and services such as operator or directory assistance, call dialing, calling card use, Call Forwarding, data calls, automatic call delivery, voice mail, text messaging, and wireless Internet access, may have additional charges. Features such as Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, or 3-Way Calling involve multiple calls and multiple charges.

5. If they say there is no adverse effect ask them to state where that is defined in contract. And more over state that it is that you do not agree with the contract presented to you.

6. They will put you on hold and come back and let you off scott free

**UPDATE**
7.N19ghtmare posts You can not cancel your contract and sign back up to get a new phone. You must wait 90 days if you plan on doing so. If you want to get right back on it, you would have to sign up under someone else's name and SS number.

8. If you first do not succeed just hang up and try again if they are gonna do it they will within the first 10 minutes after that hang up and get a different person. Some are easy some are hardcore.

9. You can port numbers if it is important have them note account that it is to be closed at such and such date. Then call back again and tell them you want to port number before it is canceled. Again you may need to call a couple more time.

The other thread is so buried with junk I thought this would be easier since so many were asking how to do it.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I would just wait until Nov. By then they should have rev 1.5 out or something. Also, by then you should really know if the phone is good or not. Hearing people that have a phone less than a couple days say its great doesn't really mean much. Everyone said the Razr was great the first day that came out too.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Drifting

ussi,

I read numerous threads about this, but the biggest problem seems to be that the reps all say that if you're past that 60 day mark, then you're SOL.......which is why I'm still with verizon.