Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Blackberry Storm 2 9550 (Odin) Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Vodafone All Set to Bring BlackBerry Storm 2 9520 to the Market

Vodafone will unveil the BlackBerry Storm2 9520 in a couple of days. The phone is expected to debut in the UK on October 16, 2009.

To come equipped with an enhanced SurePress typing system that would employ Piezo technology, the phone would boast of four sensors to enable multi-touch typing.

Besides the expected Wi-Fi, BlackBerry OS 5.0, threaded texting, more durable rubber keys, the BlackBerry Storm2 9520will have a highly responsive screen and capabilities to display orientation in no time. Vodafone is likely to lure customers with an offer of 9520 for free with a monthly service plan of at least 30 Pounds or close to US$48. This could mean that the Storm2 would cost a tad less than the 34.26 Pounds per month plan that O2 would most probably quote for the Palm Pre, which also releases on October 16.

Vodafone, as we all know, had goofed up with its last year’s Storm 9500. We hope it has learnt from the mistakes, and going by the looks of it, the new BlackBerry Storm2 9520 has incorporated improvements in hardware and software. If it has done really so, Vodafone can rest assured that the Storm 2 would be picked up fast by the BlackBerry shopper. Meanwhile, we also hear that Verizon’s BlackBerry Storm2 9550, which was tipped to debut on October 21, will look at only a mid-November launch.
http://www.devicemag.com/2009/10/13/...to-the-market/
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

2 for 1?

Currently, if you buy any BlackBerry smartphone from Verizon (except for the Tour), you can get another one for free, thanks to Verizon’s Buy One Get One (BOGO) promotion.

According to BlackBerry Rocks (the website is down right now), the unannounced BlackBerry Storm2 will be included in the promotion as well.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing official about this at the moment, and we only have this leaked flyer as proof:

As previously reported, the BlackBerry Storm2 should be announced by Verizon in late November. If the BOGO promotion turns out to be real, there will probably be many, many Storm 2 smartphones sold before the year’s end, regardless of the price of one unit (which cant’ possibly be higher than $300 on contract).
Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like dummy units are in stores... (via crackberry)

Some more promo stuff from crackberry:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlmFKjO_fDg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlmFKjO_fDg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Dem1K; 10-13-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Got a Job!

bah 5 min rule

I'm almost certain it's coming in the next couple weeks. The 21st and 28th are looking mighty good, and I bet we hear something this week, perhaps tomorrow

Oh yeah also..

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUBV0kWY3e0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUBV0kWY3e0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

again, source is crackberry . com

Sorry I haven't been updating, but thanks for the help sho_nuff

Last edited by Dem1K; 10-13-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Got a Job!

more 10/21 evidence from crackberry

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM

^ that's good to hear. I really don't want to wait till mid November.

One of the higher-ups in my firm has had a one since mid sept. They are running a pilot program to make sure it is not a tremendous failure like the S1. I tried my damnedest to get on that team, but no luck.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Got a Job!

Well it's definitely "official" as RIM has it on their website, and the embargo has dropped so reviews are flowing in. Now we just need an official announcement by RIM/Verizon on release date, pricing, etc. Here you go..

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...OSKH4ATMY32JVN

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWdq2va8DZE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWdq2va8DZE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Courtesy of crackberry:

Full Review
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-storm2-review

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354221,00.asp

Last edited by Dem1K; 10-15-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Got a Job!

another solid video review

http://www.t3.com/reviews/phones/mob...ands-on-review

According to Vodafone, they have it for Pre-Sale and expect it on Oct. 26th!

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...ckberry-storm2
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 AM

3D Model available on vzw.com

http://images.verizonwireless.com/mu...mos/bb_storm2/

Not a big deal....just means we are getting closer to release
Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 AM

October 28th...

Here it is Storm2 chasers... the press release we have all been waiting for! And it looks like you won't have to wait long now to pick up a BlackBerry Storm2, with availability scheduled for October 28th - this Wednesday. As previously posted, Verizon Blackberry Storm2 pricing comes in at $179 on a 2yr contract after a mail-in rebate, but there's no mention of a BOGO promotion or upgrade incentive for Storm1 users... at least in the press release (if any of these promotions do exist, could be they'll roll into action in the near future). If you haven't done it yet, be sure to check out our BlackBerry Storm2 Review.

As for why the Verizon press release was delayed beyond RIM/Vodafone's announcement of the BlackBerry Storm2, no official reason was stated, but judging by the looks of the press release the official argument might be that they were waiting for the release of OS 5.0 for the Storm 9530, so original Storm owners were taken care of prior to the Storm2's launch.
Press Release:

A Powerful New Storm Rolls Onto Verizon Wireless' Network on Oct. 28

New Operating System for Existing BlackBerry Storm Customers

BASKING RIDGE, NEW JERSEY and WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 26, 2009) - Verizon Wireless and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) today announced that the BlackBerry(R) Storm2(TM) smartphone will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications stores, online at www.verizonwireless.com, and through business sales channels beginning Oct. 28. The BlackBerry Storm2 with BlackBerry(R) OS 5.0 evolves the BlackBerry(R) touchscreen platform with hundreds of hardware and software enhancements - including new SurePress(TM) "clickable" display technology and built-in Wi-Fi(R) - delivering the exceptional multimedia experience and communications capabilities customers have come to expect from their BlackBerry smartphones.

Key Features:

* Smooth design and premium finish with sloped edges, chrome accents, glass lens and stainless steel backplate
* Large (3.25"), dazzling high-resolution 480 x 360 display at 184 ppi
* Capacitive touchscreen with integrated functions (Send, End, Menu,
* Escape) and new SurePress technology that makes clicking the display practically effortless
* 3G and global connectivity support for making phone calls in more than 220 countries and accessing data in more than 185 countries (with more than 80 destinations in 3G)
* Network Connectivity: EV-DO Revision A; UMTS/HSPA (2100 MHz); and quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM networks
* Supports Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
* 256 MB of Flash memory
* 2 GB of onboard media storage and a microSD(TM)/SDHD memory card slot with a 16 GB card included

Software Updates on BlackBerry Storm2:

* Features BlackBerry OS 5.0, which includes typing accuracy and selection improvements, as well as usability and visual enhancements such as inertial scrolling, spin boxes that make it easier to set dates and times, gradient shading on buttons, and more use of animation
* BlackBerry Browser is improved with faster JavaScript and CSS processing as well as support for Gears and BlackBerry Widgets
* Customers running BlackBerry(R) Enterprise Server 5.0 will gain the ability to set follow-up flags, manage e-mail folders, access remote files (Windows Shares), forward appointments, view calendar attachments, and more

Additional Features and Specifications:

* 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus, Image Stabilization (IS), flash and video recording capabilities
* Premium and easy-to-access phone features, background noise suppression technology, loud distortion-free speakerphone and face detection (proximity sensor) that prevents accidental clicks and blanks the screen while the customer is on the phone
* Media player for videos, pictures and music, plus support for BlackBerry Desktop Manager for both PCs and Macs, and BlackBerry(R) Media Sync, for easily syncing Windows Media(R) Player music with the smartphone(i)
* 3.5 mm stereo headset jack and dedicated volume controls
* Bluetooth(R) (v2.1) capable with support for Secure Simple Pairing, hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals
* Built-in GPS for maps and other location-based applications, as well as photo geotagging; and Verizon Wireless' VZ Navigator(SM) service is pre-loaded
* V CAST Music with Rhapsody
* Access to BlackBerry App World(TM), featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones, with categories including games, entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more Support for Verizon Wireless' Mobile Broadband Connect tethering service
* Removable, rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery that provides up to 5.5 hours of talk time or up to 11.2 days of standby time

Pricing and Availability:

* The BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone is available beginning Oct. 28 for $179.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement on a voice plan with an Email and Web feature or an Email and Web for BlackBerry plan. Customers will receive the mail-in rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted. Data plans for the BlackBerry Storm2 smartphone begin at $29.99 when added to any Nationwide voice plan.

New Operating System for Existing BlackBerry Storm Customers

* Existing BlackBerry Storm customers will be able to update their handsets to the new BlackBerry OS 5.0 software via Web software load (www.blackberry.com/update), BlackBerry Desktop Manager, or from Verizon Wireless' download site (www.verizonwireless.com/storm). The software is available today.
* For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com. Business customers can contact their Business Sales Representatives at 1-800-VZW-4BIZ.

...crackberry
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Got a Job!

word
Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

I just went and played with the Storm 2 at the Verizon store, and let me just say that January can't come soon enough. I can't believe how great it feels to type on this compared to my Storm 1. Wow. The general feel of the phone is so much better (even with the security lock attached). It is also great to see 120 MB of free app memory.

The OS installed was 5.0.0.320
Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Got a Job!

I just went and picked one up. I'll play with it for a little bit and let you know my thoughts, but so far so good And yes it's running on 5.0.0.320.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dem1K
I just went and picked one up. I'll play with it for a little bit and let you know my thoughts, but so far so good And yes it's running on 5.0.0.320.

Nice. I am jealous. Looking forward to your thoughts...

Was your contract up, or did you just buy it?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Got a Job!

My contract has been up since last december when I returned my S1. I never found a phone I wanted after that, and when I heard about the S2 earlier this year, I just kept holding out and have been using my old phone ever since. I figure I'll give this thing a shot for a little while until the Droid comes out, and I'll play with that a little bit to see which I like better and go from there. I haven't had much time to play with it yet since I've been on the go all day, but I'll be sure to give my thoughts later today.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Your garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Picking one up on Friday..can't wait.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Meh. I played with one yesterday and actually didnt like not having the hard keys on the bottom like my S1. The app memory and wifi is nice but I cant justify switching quite yet. The screen click is greatly improved though.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Your garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Picked one up Friday night. It has definitely exceeded my expectations...I'm not going to say it's an iPhone killer, but the red V is getting closer. I'll post up a better review sometime next week when I get some free time.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Got a Job!

my short review thus far...

I'm thoroughly enjoying it more and more every day. It's definitely as good, if not better than I hoped/expected. The OS is pretty damn responsive, and the new SurePress technology is lightyears better than the S1. WiFi works very well, the battery, so far, has been great, and the overall fit/finish is just fantastic. Basically, it's just a much better version of the original Storm, and I am very glad I picked this up. Like I said in the Droid thread, I'm going to go check it out, but I'm not sure at this point if I'm willing to give up the S2 for it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Cool. I wish my contract was up right now so I could get one. When I tried it out at the Verizon store, I was able to type a whole paragraph without any mistakes or backspaces. Just that alone, makes me want to switch. Typing a long email on my S1, is beyond aggravating.

any random reboots or quirks like the S1?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Got a Job!

So far, no. Also one thing to note, the screen will feel different after the first day or 2 of use. At the store it seems rather stiff, but now that I've had it, it feels f'n awesome . And yeah, I know exactly how you feel about the S1 being aggravating when it comes to typing things for a long period. With the S2, it's quite a joy. But yeah, my device hasn't locked up once. I've only had to do one quickpull for a program that wasn't compatible with the device, but that's it. I'm going to do a more thorough review shortly.

Oh also, regarding quirks. For a bit there was an issue with the WiFi working, but that turned out to be a Verizon problem and not RIM, and they fixed it. Um, also the screen dims in landscape mode randomly even with auto-dim off, so that will probably be addressed in the next OS update. Besides that, mine is pretty solid :knocksonwood:
Old 11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't want to leave Verizon, so this might the the ticket.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Got a Job!

Definitely check it out. Remember you have 30 days to try it out. I'm really loving this phone, and in terms of browser experience, if you DL Opera Mini 5 Beta, it's fast as balls. It's got a few minor issues here and there, since it's beta and all, but it's awesome. Also, check out the DROID Eris if the DROID doesn't catch your eye. It's a pretty slick phone as well, especially at $99.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Storm 2 for Enterprise use review....

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-sto...erprise-review

The BlackBerry Storm 2 has arrived to try and save the BlackBerry touch screen reputation after a pretty disastrous Storm 1 entrance last year. I used a Storm 1 and can safely say that while I'm a huge fan of Research In Motion 's (RIM) BlackBerry products (I've been a user since 2000), I was excited to see how RIM would jump into the touch screen Smartphone ring, and then immediately disappointed at the product I was holding in my hands.

It was laggy, buggy, kludgy, and the whole having to click the screen paradigm combined to make me feel like hurling it at the wall many times.

The BlackBerry Storm 2 is much better in many ways. It doesn't lag, it has fewer bugs, and typing doesn't feel as kludgly as before. You still have to click the screen, but even that has improved drastically.

So the question is, can this new improved touch screen BlackBerry survive in the corporate world? Can it handle the day-to-day work use and even enhance your existing BlackBerry experience? Finally, does it look professional enough to carry into the boardroom or courtroom?

While the Storm 2 has many consumer features, I won't go into those in great detail because there are other reviews that do this. I'll be concentrating on the enterprise usage, which of course does include some consumer use.

I totally agree with the wanting to throw my S1 against the wall. The second my contract is up, I am upgrading.

Last edited by sho_nuff1997; 11-30-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Got my S2 on Tuesday, and I am on my second device already. I had Verizon send me a new one because basically the whole bottom left corner around the send button was non-responsive.

While I was waiting for the new device to come, I installed OS 5.0.0.428 and that fixed the screen bug. Regardless, I sent the original back to Verizon and loaded .428 on the new phone.

That said, I love this phone. It is a joy to type on this one. I actually look for things to type, whereas on my S1 I avoided typing like the plague.

My only gripe so far is the poor battery life. My S1 lasted for about 3 days on a charge, the S2 barely lasts a day.

I'll post more after I've owned it for a while and the honeymoon is over.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Got a Job!

<---moved on to the Moto DROID haha

I've actually been waiting on the news about the Passion, but it's been taking too damn long and I've been intrigued by the Android OS, so I picked one up a couple days ago. No joke, this thing fucking ROCKS! Leaps and bounds better than my S2 (which was a great device in its own regard, don't get me wrong.) I just absolutely love this thing.

Last edited by Dem1K; 12-18-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:32 PM

Dang already jumped ship? Do you have an inside connection or something? Or did you just pay full price for the Droid?

I have to have a bb for work, since work only supports blackberries. So, S2 for me until next December.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Got a Job!

Yeah, I didn't necessarily need a BB for work, and figured I might as well get something a little more fun while I was at it.

Inside connection? Nope, I fucking wish . I returned my S2 within the 30 days, went back to my old phone for a while, and then picked up the DROID which starts my new 30 day trial.

BTW, what did .428 address? I had issues with my lower 4 buttons not responding as well, which was my only main gripe to be honest.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dem1K
BTW, what did .428 address? I had issues with my lower 4 buttons not responding as well, which was my only main gripe to be honest.

It addressed exactly that. The bottom 4 buttons now feel like the rest of the screen. When I got mine out of the box, I noticed the buttons were not right immediately....I was ready to return it and get the Bold 2. But, they leaked .428 (which was supposed to be an official release) and since I installed that, now the phone is exactly as it should have shipped.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Used the storm for the trial month.

After hating the S1, I was really impressed with the S2. The keyboard was the deal breaker for me but other then that, it could of def been an every day work phone.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I just got a Storm 2 as a replacement for my 8830 World Edition (work phone).

I really really hate the click screen and the apps are teh suck compared to my iPod Touch.

On the plus side I was able to pair it up to my TL.