Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Andy: Regarding the v710 and the Superdave Flash....

Old 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy: Regarding the v710 and the Superdave Flash....

I'm confused.....

Did Motorola release brand new firmware that Superdave modified?

- or -

Did Superdave modify the existing, old firmware?

BJ
Old 12-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Is this the one?

https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/200-gb-hard-drive-%24100-103569/
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BJ - My understanding is that Superdave modified the newly released Verizon V710 Flash update, incorporating some stuff from the Alltel V710m.

Mine works fine, so far. It displays the battery level & signal strength on the MID now, and sends a call waiting numeric display to the MID as well.

Also, I can connect via BT to Mobile Phone Tools now.

The camera seems to work better (I think), but who cares?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:46 PM
6th Gear

sorry,
yours that's doing all this is the flash from verizon, or dave?

And did you simply just follow the instructions that are laid out here somewhere copied from hofo's thread. I had verizon flash mine (ver 8700-01.30.8F) and I do not have the meter, signal strength showing on my tl. Is that only with Daves? Should it be ok to flash over the new flash?

thanks,
Jack
Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't speak for GotJazz, but I used the firmware that Superdave modified. Superdave's is based on the Verizon firmware with some additional features. I followed the step-by-step instructions that Andyw posted in another thread and all went well.

You should get signal strength and battery meter with the latest Verizon firmware, as well, but it might not be available at the local stores yet.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Version is coming out with the new firmware, but with more restrictions than it had before. Turns out they don't want you transferring ring tones and such with the transflash card and they don't want you to be able to have your own web sessions. I remember there being a few more things they have turned off but those are the major ones.

With SuperDaves version everything Verizon wanted turned off at one time or another is back on.. So that's a plus.. Another plus is that you can get it now and not wait for VZW to get it.. Sometimes VZW wants to charge you for the flash and sometimes they don't.

If you had VZW flash yours and you don't have the signal strength or battery then they don't have the newest firmware. If you don't want to wait you can use Dave's firmware that works great..

Superdave modified a VZW firmware that would lock down the phone BJ. If you don't care about that you can just have them do it when it comes out. If you don't like them telling you how you can use your phone get Dave's.

About the only thing that would make it perfect is OBEX but I don't think we will ever get that. We can however like Jazz said use BT with MPT.. I hope this helps those questions.. If you have more ask away...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

First off, thanks everyone for the responses. I'm clear now.

My only remaining question......

For those that have flashed, are you experiencing any bad side-effects? The guys in the HOFO's mentioned that some were having problems with:

1. Earpiece distortion.

2. Signals 'radiating' to other electronics (popping sounds in computer speakers, for one).

3. Slow photo emailing.

4. Loss of 'free' internet access using QNC #777 (charges your minutes, high speed, no extra $$$).

Any of you having any nasty side-effects?

BJ
Old 12-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Advanced

BJ,

The earpiece can have distortion if you turn it up to high. This goes with anything... I however didnt think it was that bad in the first place so I don't have a problem with this.

I have my phone charging next to two set of speakers and haven't heard any popping.

Didn't try e-mail yet and also haven't tired the free internet access post you made on this firmware yet.

As far as I can see everthing is working great for me.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BJ - One thing that's nice about SD's firmware is that MMS (Multi Media Studio) now works with the V710. It's an option in MPT that normally is disabled on the V710.

Yesterday, I sent a picture from my PC to my V710 over the BT connection - Just like you think it should work.

I think this is Alltel functionality that was transported to the V710.

PDCool, huh?

:-)
Old 12-09-2004, 11:05 AM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scuba629
BJ,

The earpiece can have distortion if you turn it up to high. This goes with anything... I however didnt think it was that bad in the first place so I don't have a problem with this.

I have my phone charging next to two set of speakers and haven't heard any popping.

Didn't try e-mail yet and also haven't tired the free internet access post you made on this firmware yet.

As far as I can see everthing is working great for me.
My experience is exactly like Scuba629's. I haven't tried e-mail or internet access, but the other stuff works.

I had the following problems after the flash INITIALLY, but they seem to have resolved themselves (possibly after a couple *228 calls, but that could have been a total coincidence):

1. Initially, a *228 option 1 call would fail. I don't think that this is necessary at all, but it doesn't hurt, and I thought I'd do it "just in case." After an option 2 call, however, an option 1 call worked just fine.

2. Signal strength seemed a little lower than before, but now it seems fine.

3. Plugging in the charger would result in a "Charge Failed" message on the internal LCD. I thought this one was REALLY weird, but I only saw it on the first night after the flash. It hasn't happened since, so maybe it was all a bad dream.

One thing that I CAN report is fixed is the ability to send pauses through the HFL. Before, sending a pause would result in the phone resetting. Now it doesn't. This really helps on voicemail, and other calls where you have to enter a PIN.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Cool! Thanks guys!

Anyone have a link to the most recent version of the software? I'll give it a shot tonight.

BJ
Old 12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go to http://vzw.inetron.com, you can find everything you need. There is a custom_images folder where you will find the actual firmware (8700_1.02.SD.zip). Be sure to follow the directions in this thread.

Let us know how it works out for you.