Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Amazon Echo

Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
There's also JD.com's . . . . . wait for it. . . . . Ling Long Ding Dong.

China's LingLong launches DingDong smart home speaker - BBC News

China's LingLong launches DingDong smart home speaker

A Chinese firm has unveiled the country's first voice-activated smart home speaker - its answer to Amazon's Echo and Google's Home.

The DingDong, by technology company Beijing LingLong, uses voice interaction to do tasks such as playing music and switching on home appliances.

The device is said to understand Mandarin, Cantonese and basic English.

A study by Juniper Research suggests China's smart home market could be worth $22.8bn (£18.3bn) by 2018.

Beijing LingLong is owned by Chinese online retailer JD.com - which is selling the DingDong for 698 yuan ($100, £81).

The device can communicate with 95% of the China's population, Beijing Linglong told Wired.

Like Echo and Home, it can be used to control light switches, thermostats and home appliances.

And, similar to its rivals, there is internet search, traffic and weather information, directions, online shopping, and music streaming.

The makers of DingDong have also been promoting its educational tools, including being programmed with simple English lessons for children developed by a private education company.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,132 Posts
At least they didn't name it Long Duck Dong
Old 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I have a Dot coming in today that I plan on using in the kitchen. My gf has a Tap in our room but I guess if they're on separate accounts, there should be no issues right
Old 07-23-2017, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Doom878
My gf has a Tap in our room
Old 07-23-2017, 02:27 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I have a Dot coming in today that I plan on using in the kitchen. My gf has a Tap in our room but I guess if they're on separate accounts, there should be no issues right
not going to be a problem if on the SAME account.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
not going to be a problem if on the SAME account.
When Alexa puts the fleshlight on the wrong account, it will be.
The following users liked this post:
gatrhumpy (01-08-2018)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Team Owner

I set it up this weekend and set it up on her account. I can't access my Spotify playlists since it's using her's but honestly I'd play maybe 4 songs doing dishes/cleaning the kitchen.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM
_

Facebook working on their version of an Echo and Echo Show.

A 360 degree Echo Show might be kind of cool though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hardware-push

Facebook Is Working on a Video Chat Device

Aug 1, 2017

Facebook Inc. is working on a video chat device for the home -- the first major hardware product from its experimental Building 8 lab.

Featuring a laptop-sized touchscreen, the device represents a new product category and could be announced as soon as next spring’s F8 developer conference, according to people familiar with the matter. They say the large screen and smart camera technology could help farflung people feel like they’re in the same room, which aligns with Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg’s mission of bringing Facebook users closer together. The device is in the prototype phase but is already being tested in people’s homes.

The social media giant is working on at least one other product -- a standalone smart speaker that would compete with the Amazon Echo and Google Home, said the people, who asked not be named discussing unannounced products. Facebook is hiring Apple Inc. veterans to help it create a Siri-style voice assistant that would run on both devices, they said.

The new devices represent a new phase in Facebook’s hardware ambitions. Though the company sells the Oculus virtual reality headset, it acquired its maker and didn’t create the original product (although a new $200 model will debut next year). Last year, the Building 8 lab was set up to help Facebook develop its own hardware and keep consumers locked into its ecosystem -- the news feed, Facebook live, video calling and more.

Building 8 is staffed with hardware veterans and led by former Google executive Regina Dugan. Speaking at the most recent F8 conference in April, Dugan said the goal was to “create and ship new, category-defining consumer products that are social first.” She spoke about how technology has made it easier to connect, but also has confined people to their phones so that they don’t interact with the physical world as much.

Geared to the living room, the video chat device will feature a wide-angle camera lens, microphones and speakers that are all powered by artificial intelligence to boost performance, the people said. A version of the device in testing includes a thin, vertical stand that holds a large touchscreen measuring between 13 and 15 inches diagonally, the people said. Facebook has considered running a version of the Android operating system on its device instead of building its own core operating system, according to the people.

Facebook is testing a feature that would allow the camera to automatically scan for people in its range and lock onto them, one of the people said. For example, the camera could zoom onto a painting that a child brought home from school to show to a parent away on a business trip. Facebook has also been developing a 360 degree camera for the device, but people familiar with the matter say it’s unlikely to be ready in time for the initial launch.

Early plans call for the standalone speaker to sell in the low $100 range, undercutting the competition, while the technologically more complex video chat device would cost a few hundred dollars, one of the people said. Because the speaker concept has already been popularized, two of the people said, Facebook could abandon it and prioritize the video chat device instead.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
^Because we can't already do that (video chat) with our phones, minus the creepy undesirable stuff.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Team Owner

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/06/amaz...phone-use.html

Survey spells trouble for Apple and Samsung: People with devices like Amazon Echo use phones less

• Accenture and Harris Interactive conducted an online survey of 21,000 people in 19 countries.
  • Within the survey, 66 percent of the people who answered a question about owning a digital voice assistant and smartphone usage said they use their phones less.
  • It's another indication that the next wave of consumer tech will be driven by these devices, spelling trouble for laggards like Apple and Samsung.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 PM
_

Using a smartphone less often when there's a digital voice assistant device around doesn't mean sales for smartphones will suffer. What are these people going to use outside of their home?

The online survey, conducted by Accenture and Harris Interactive, included 21,000 people from 19 countries and was conducted in October and November 2017.

Within the survey, nearly 2,300 people responded to a question asking whether they agreed with the following statement: "Since I got my digital voice assistant device, I use my smartphone for fewer activities."

66 percent of the respondents said they agreed or strongly agreed.

Within the sub-group who said they use their smartphones less, 64 percent said they use phones less frequently for entertainment services, while 58 percent said they do less online purchasing with their phones; and 56 percent do fewer searches from their phones.
21,000 people participated in the survey. Of those 21,000 people, almost 2,300 people or 10.95% responded to the question : "Since I got my digital voice assistant device, I use my smartphone for fewer activities."

Of those almost 2,300 people who responded to the question, 66% of them or almost 1,518 people said they agreed or strongly agreed. That means 782 people disagree or strongly disagree.

1,518 people out of the 21,000 surveyed people is 7.23%

Of those almost 1,518 people, 64% or almost 971 people said they use phones less frequently for entertainment services. (1) What are these entertainment services? You can't watch videos on a digital voice assistant so my guess would be music streaming services. (2) 971 people out of the 21,000 people surveyed is 4.62%

Of those 1,518 people, 58% or almost 880 people said they do less online purchasing with their phones. 880 people out of the 21,000 people surveyed is 4.19%

Of those 1,518 people, 56% or almost 850 people said they do fewer searches from their phones. 850 people out of the 21,000 people surveyed is 4.05%

OMG!!! Apple and Samsung are doomed!

Last edited by AZuser; 01-07-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 AM
Team Owner

Slow tech news day
Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
If they mean home phones then maybe I'll concur..
Old 01-10-2018, 07:10 AM
Team Owner

Now if they would just add Carplay/Android Auto...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1017899001/
Japanese automaker Toyota will integrate Amazon's Alexa voice assistant into some of its cars as the auto industry increasingly adopts the tech world's hottest offerings to improve the vehicle experience.

The deal reflects a partnership between two of the world's largest companies, each of which can stake a claim to having revolutionized their industries.

Toyota, whose efficient manufacturing techniques transformed the auto industry, is turning to Alexa to bolster its voice-recognition capability.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Team Owner

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/24/...andom-contact/

Amazon Echo recorded a conversation and sent it to a random contact

Audio files of a family chat was sent to the husband's employee without warning.

A Portland, Oregon family has claimed that their Amazon Echo recorded a conversation and then sent it to a random person on their contact list. Two weeks ago, the person -- an employee of the husband -- sent them audio files of their chats that he'd received from their smart speaker.

The family had set up a household of Alexa-equipped devices to control heat, lights and security. When the incident happened, the family unplugged them all and contacted Amazon.

"They said 'our engineers went through your logs, and they saw exactly what you told us, they saw exactly what you said happened, and we're sorry.' He apologized like 15 times in a matter of 30 minutes and he said we really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, this is something we need to fix!" the wife told KIRO 7.

When reached for comment, the tech giant provided the following statement to KIRO 7; "Amazon takes privacy very seriously. We investigated what happened and determined this was an extremely rare occurrence. We are taking steps to avoid this from happening in the future."

Amazon reportedly offered to 'de-provision' the family's Alexa communications to keep using the device suite's smart home functionality, but they're seeking a full refund. We've reached out to Amazon for additional comment and will include it when we hear back.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Amazon reportedly offered to 'de-provision' the family's Alexa communications to keep using the device suite's smart home functionality
Interesting. I wonder if they would do that for anyone.

Unrelated: I picked up a Google mini to play with and control my chromecast. Echo is far superior. Google wouldn't even pick up half the things I have Alexa commanding.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Good thing it just sent some random conversation and not a recording of
Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
There is more to this,
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Team Owner

Looks like Amazon is admitting the Echo screwed up.
How an Alexa speaker recorded and shared a private conversation
"Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like 'Alexa.' Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a 'send message' request," Amazon said in a statement. "At which point, Alexa said out loud 'To whom?' At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, '[contact name], right?' Alexa then interpreted background conversation as 'right'. As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even lesslikely."

The Echo only confirms a contact name if there are multiple people in an address book with the same or similar sounding names.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...g-release-date

Amazon’s Fire TV Cube is an Echo, streaming box, and universal remote in one

Preorders start today, and it ships June 21st

By Chris Welch
@chriswelch Jun 7, 2018, 9:01am EDT
SHARE Combining an Echo speaker and the Fire TV into a single gadget seems like a very obvious, inevitable move for Amazon to make. Today, that unification is happening, and the end result is the $120 Fire TV Cube. Preorders begin now, and Prime members can buy it for $89.99 if they order on either June 7th or 8th. For now, the Cube is only available to US customers.

It pairs Alexa’s assistant smarts and hands-free voice commands with Amazon’s popular 4K streaming device. But the Fire TV Cube is designed to be much more than a set-top box that can also tell you the weather or control your smart home accessories. The third key aspect of this product — and the most surprising one — is that it’s also a universal remote. From the top, it looks more like an Echo than a Fire TV. All four sides of the “cube” house IR blasters that allow the device to communicate with and control everything in the average person’s TV setup, from cable boxes to soundbars to A/V receivers. The Fire TV Cube also controls the television itself over HDMI-CEC, so it can automatically power on the screen whenever one of your Alexa voice requests warrants it. If you ask for the weather, the Cube will answer using its own built-in speaker. But if you say “Alexa, play Wild Wild Country,” the TV will turn on, and Netflix will pull up the show.Image: AmazonA few companies like Dish and Tivo already support Alexa to some extent, but integrating IR and making it such a central piece of the Fire TV Cube is an admission that adoption isn’t happening fast enough for this device to meet its potential for convenience and wide home theater compatibility. Alexa alone isn’t enough. So, IR blasters it is. In the box, you even get a separate IR extender, which you can run down into a cabinet if there are components that the Cube’s own multidirectional signal can’t quite reach. The Fire TV Cube ships with an IR extender that allows it to control devices in a cabinet. But don’t expect home theater bliss on day one. Amazon is starting out with what I’d consider a realistic level of ambition, and the Cube isn’t ready to replace a Logitech Harmony remote yet, nor is it as sophisticated and forward-looking as something like the Caavo. IR blasters have limitations and can sometimes get tripped up, but they allow the Cube to do some genuinely useful things already. Alexa can control the volume for your TV or soundbar even when you’re viewing content on a completely different HDMI input. It can also change between those inputs on command.IT ALL COMES BACK TO IR BLASTERSAnd it seems to work surprisingly well with (some) cable boxes. Amazon showed me the Cube changing to a particular channel on a Spectrum box with a simple, natural “Alexa, tune to ESPN” command. It can similarly control set-top boxes for Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish. Saying “Alexa, go home” will always switch you back to the Fire TV Cube’s own HDMI input and home screen. Amazon isn’t letting the Cube control things like game consoles or Blu-ray players yet, but it says that it will get more powerful with time and software updates. There’s a quick setup process for components you’ll be controlling over IR, which is how the Fire TV Cube learns which cable channels are which, etc. Amazon has more details on what’s compatible and what’s not on this site.

Unfortunately, you have to use voice for things like volume control since the bundled Fire TV remote remains unchanged and doesn’t have volume buttons. (They really would’ve come in handy this time.) There’s still a voice button and integrated mic for situations where you need to speak to Alexa quietly. There’s no ethernet jack, but Amazon includes an Ethernet adapter in the box if your Wi-Fi isn’t the best. Aside from its IR tricks, the Fire TV Cube is basically a hybrid Echo Dot and Fire TV. It has the easy-to-use interface shared by Amazon’s other streaming devices, but it’s refined in certain places for voice control. The far-field mic array is also different than on a regular Echo. Instead of being oriented in a 360-degree pattern, all eight of the Cube’s mics are linear and meant to pick up people in front of the device. Sandeep Gupta, Amazon’s VP of smart TV and home products, told me that the mic array was designed to recognize the “Alexa” hot word even over audio coming from a TV or soundbar beside it.

The Fire TV Cube supports HDR10 and Dolby Atmos sound, but it lacks Dolby Vision playback. The Apple TV 4K is the only set-top box that will do all of the above once the next version of tvOS ships. And, unfortunately, Amazon and Google still haven’t worked out their issues, so a native YouTube app remains MIA. However, you can still load it in a browser like Firefox, and that workaround does the job. I’m not a fan of the glossy exterior, but Amazon says it helps with IR performance. On the Echo side, you can run through the usual gamut of Alexa commands, and it works just as you’d expect. You can also integrate the Cube into routines, so something like “Alexa, goodnight” can power off your entire TV rig along with your lights and other Alexa-compatible devices. Gupta explained to me that the Fire TV Cube has a “TV bias,” so it won’t hesitate to turn on your display whenever it thinks you’ll get the best answer from Alexa there. If you ask for music, the Cube will know enough to play it out of your soundbar instead of its own dinky speaker. Just know this can’t do everything an Echo can: calls and messages through Alexa aren’t supported, and you can’t sync the Fire TV Cube with a Bluetooth speaker or add it to your Echo multiroom music setup.

The Fire TV Cube sounds very promising, but everything hinges on how it performs outside the Amazon demos I saw — and those weren’t without hiccups. I think it’ll do fine at controlling your TV and streaming content or answering Alexa queries. And the $120 price is rather aggressive. But it’s got the right hardware inside to do and become much more.

Photography by Chris Welch / The Verge
Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Go Giants

I can't think I need another one of these but props to Amazon for trying.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/amaz...-products.html

Amazon introduces a ton of new Alexa-enabled products, including a microwave and car gadget

• Amazon is showing new hardware at an event in Seattle on Thursday.
  • The company announced 15 Alexa-enabled products, as well as ways to integrate Alexa with third-party devices. Items included a microwave, clock and car gadget.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Team Owner

Kind of for me
Old 09-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

microwave..

"Alexa, cook my dinner?"
Old 09-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
microwave..

"Alexa, cook my dinner?"
I think it's just a way to get it in another room..... if I need a new microwave, why not get one with Alexa over one without.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Before you know it there will be Alexa-enabled guns.

"Alexa, blow my brains out for me. Soopa is at my front door."
"Which gun would you like me to use?"
"The shotgun."
"You are out of shotgun shells. Would you like me to add it to your shopping list?"
"No, Soopa's already in the house, disemboweling me."
Old 11-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Might pick one of these up now.

Apple Music coming to Echo.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/30/apple-music-on-echo/
#1 STUNNA (12-02-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Might pick one of these up now.

Apple Music coming to Echo.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/30/apple-music-on-echo/

wow... Amazon is REALLY sticking it to Google...
Mizouse (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:41 PM

$350 HomePod or $150 Echo Plus or even $69.99 Echo
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah.. I'm confused why the partnership other than to stick it to Google.. I mean Amazon has its own music streaming service as well... They're literally undercutting themselves.. Wonder which exec drafted up that partnership and how much kickbacks he got..
Old 11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Go Giants

But I just bought a second HomePod
Mizouse (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 05:49 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Mizouse
$350 HomePod or $150 Echo Plus or even $69.99 Echo
Homepod so much better sound!
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Whiskers
But I just bought a second HomePod
And you just enjoy that great sound.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
If Alexa gets Apple Music dictation HomePod is a wasted opportunity.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
Apple Music is on Android too, a subscription service needs to be everywhere to be successful. This makes sense if Apple wants to increase their subscription revenue, which is where they see the most potential for growth