Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Why do people like NASCAR?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:34 AM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
Shake 'n' Bake Baby!

no no no

From now on, it's Magic Man and El Diablo.
- What does El Diablo mean?
It's like Spanish for like a fighting chicken.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,255 Likes on 5,219 Posts
Originally Posted by TLinSA
I love it when someone breaks a sport down to it's basic element and questions why anyone would want to watch it. You can say the same thing about every sport.

Let's see:
Baseball - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run
Football - watch men throw ball, catch ball, run, tackle and huddle up
Golf- watch men hit ball and go chase it
Soccer - watch men kick ball back and forth
Basketball - watch men run up and down court throwing ball into a circle
Hockey - watch men skate around a rink chasing a puck

Why the hell would anyone want to watch something like that?

Look, you don't like Nascar and that's fine. You don't understand why people watch it because you don't understand the strategy involved. It's the same reason why many people don't like hockey and soccer. They don't want to learn the sport before passing judgement on it.

totally agree with you.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Beer
Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
For the crashes... Duh!

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Well I've watched it, & been to a live race. I'm not a fan at all. I was stuck with some friends & I have to say it's was BORING!!!! Crashes are cool, but it HOT, humid, & crowded, you can't see a whole lot, & at a live race you have NO CLUE what's going on. Not like TV where you get see everything.
I understand the rules & the strategy & all that. I know the bigger names, & I still don't like it.

I do see it as a big family sport though. Something families can do together. But for me you can keep it. I'd rather watch road racing or drag strip.

I will say that a race in HD on a kick ass sound system at home is nice to watch.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 12-18-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,054 Likes on 3,581 Posts
According to ESPN's survey:

Football was first.

Baseball was second.

Basketball was third.
Those were followed by college football, college basketball, then NASCAR, which had something like 2.2 percent of the population. NASCAR is the biggest sport in certain areas, e.g. in Daytona and Alabama.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Worst form of auto racing known to man and the drivers act like fucking clowns always fighting and doing other dumb shit...almost as bad as the WWF. How someone could enjoy watching 30 Monte Carlos going around and around an oval for hours has always puzzled me. It's a shame that in the US this garbage gets more respect than F1 or old CART, true racing that involes way more skill than just going around in circles.
F1 > NASCAR
Old 12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Az User

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Boogity Boogity Boogity!

i enjoy it, and can't wait for the start of the 2007 season, soon i can listen to it 24 hrs on Sirius.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The last 5 to 10 laps of a Nascar event are great. The previous 250 or so laps, meh.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a great fan of the NFL, know all the players, teams, home field names, playoff scenarios, etc. I enjoy the sounds, colors, hits all in HD. I can't stand NASCAR, just a bunch of hicks making left turns, right?

But what is the NFL, if not a bunch of overpaid musclebound monsters (and kickers) with a collective IQ of a goal post (or a restrictor plate)? And NFL fans at games are loud, drunk and often carry an IQ of a down marker (or a fuel cap). So what is the difference?

It's what you grew up with, pardner.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Because it is considered a family event sport. You say that it isn't popular in NJ, I say you're wrong, Nascar if followed by more people than the NFL is.

good family values are typically followed by the teams, now a good portion of fans are rednecks.

i have been watching racing since the early 80's and have attended a few events.
some of it is a pain inthe arse but it is pretty enjoyable.

tell me one other sport that tries to instill good values, rarely cries about pay, they get penalized fairly well by officials
Old 12-18-2006, 09:41 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Worst form of auto racing known to man and the drivers act like fucking clowns always fighting and doing other dumb shit...almost as bad as the WWF. How someone could enjoy watching 30 Monte Carlos going around and around an oval for hours has always puzzled me. It's a shame that in the US this garbage gets more respect than F1 or old CART, true racing that involes way more skill than just going around in circles.
F1 > NASCAR

F1 racers are the biggest babies known to man. By-and-large they are in no way the pinnacle of professionalism.

Granted, there's exceptions, same as within Nascar.

No sport is without it's bad apples.

Like I said, I'm a big F1 fan, but it's so ridicuous to just instantly shuffle it to the top of the pile.

F1 is definately no more entertaining to watch than many other forms of racing if you don't understand it. Take away the big budgets, the bling lifestyle, and the illusion of "high-tech" and what's the incentive to try?

And CART? CART is not too far off from open-wheel NASCAR on a road course. CART races are every bit as redneck as your average NASCAR race.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Well I've watched it, & been to a live race. I'm not a fan at all. I was stuck with some friends & I have to say it's was BORING!!!! Crashes are cool, but it HOT, humid, & crowded, you can't see a whole lot, & at a live race you have NO CLUE what's going on. Not like TV where you get see everything.
I understand the rules & the strategy & all that. I know the bigger names, & I still don't like it.
Yeah, not everything is for everyone.

Same goes for me and, say, Basketball. I've been to a bunch of games, I understand it completely, and I would still rather have my teeth pulled than tune in on TV. It's boring, IMO.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by dallison

good family values are typically followed by the teams, now a good portion of fans are rednecks.

i have been watching racing since the early 80's and have attended a few events.
some of it is a pain inthe arse but it is pretty enjoyable.

tell me one other sport that tries to instill good values, rarely cries about pay, they get penalized fairly well by officials
Golf. Except it is self-officiated.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by dom
The last 5 to 10 laps of a Nascar event are great. The previous 250 or so laps, meh.
Same with your average F1 race these days.

First lap = gold...

then it's crickets until fuel stops...

Then last lap = maybe somewhat eventful, but usually not.

Let's face it, most of us follow F1 for the lifestyle, the cars, the technology... not primarily the actual lap-to-lap racing.

If you really want RACING you go watch a GT Challenge. Those are fun and eventful races that ANYONE can enjoy.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Benchwarmer

Yeah, not everything is for everyone.

Same goes for me and, say, Basketball. I've been to a bunch of games, I understand it completely, and I would still rather have my teeth pulled than tune in on TV. It's boring, IMO.
I agree that the NBA fits your description. However, if your alma mater was a force in the NCAA game and you are 6'4" or so and shoot 90% from the line.......you might view it differently.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:50 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts

First lap = gold...

i do the same with most races except daytona 500
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

First lap = gold...

Let's face it, most of us follow F1 for the lifestyle, the cars, the technology... not primarily the actual lap-to-lap racing.

If you really want RACING you go watch a GT Challenge. Those are fun and eventful races that ANYONE can enjoy.

Most F1 races are only interesting in the first lap.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Worst form of auto racing known to man and the drivers act like fucking clowns always fighting and doing other dumb shit...almost as bad as the WWF.
Well WWE is more so sports entertainment - yes they're athletes n get hurt and put their body on the line, but it's scripted entertainment...so don't really see the correlation with nascar n that?

FYI - athletes act like clowns in EVERY sport...

- i love basketball but the fight last week at MSG
- lou piniella throwing bases everywhere
- kyle turley chucking his helmet on the field
- todd bertuzzi driving dudes head in the ice

happens everywhere mayne, can't really single out Nascar for it...

and no, i don't like Nascar
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 AM
The Creator

Anyway, how is JPM doing since moving from F1 to NASCAR?

Haven't heard much about him since his first race.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You think it's hard for someone trying to explain why they like NASCAR, imagine being in my position when I try to explain why I like and follow NHRA drag racing.

"So the cars just run in a straight line for a few seconds...that's it?"
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 AM
The Creator

Old 12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Az User

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,678 Posts

not bad, ran some ARCA, Busch and the Homestead Cup Race. should do decent next year the Ganassi teams were much better by the end of last season so think they will come out strong.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I think you answered your own question.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:31 AM
The Creator

Funny one of the best F1 drivers in recent years isn't just dominating NASCAR.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Billiam
You think it's hard for someone trying to explain why they like NASCAR, imagine being in my position when I try to explain why I like and follow NHRA drag racing.

"So the cars just run in a straight line for a few seconds...that's it?"
NHRA isn't easy to explain in words But it is sure fun seeing the look on someone's face the first time they are close to the track as a Top Fuel car goes down the track. They have that "OMFG...are all my internal organs intact?" blank stare.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
I'm a great fan of the NFL, know all the players, teams, home field names, playoff scenarios, etc. I enjoy the sounds, colors, hits all in HD. I can't stand NASCAR, just a bunch of hicks making left turns, right?

But what is the NFL, if not a bunch of overpaid musclebound monsters (and kickers) with a collective IQ of a goal post (or a restrictor plate)? And NFL fans at games are loud, drunk and often carry an IQ of a down marker (or a fuel cap). So what is the difference?

It's what you grew up with, pardner.
I'm much more impressed with the talent of some NFL players than NASCAR drivers, but then again as many have pointed out - I don't know shit bout NASCAR.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Funny one of the best F1 drivers in recent years isn't just dominating NASCAR.
Because he really wasnt in it. He has to get his wings and they started him out in the arca and bush series. I think he will do really well in the 2007 season when he runs it full time and with a big team behind him.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not that much of a fan but i have grown to respect it over the past couple years. My best friend is obsessed with it and he tells me all the little rules and nuances that make it seem deeper than just cars driving in circles. I will say I cannot watch more than 10 minutes of it even in HD, even less if there is football on. But TV doesn't do it justice. Go to a race and stand right by the fence while 800-HP flies by at 180 mph.

A big reason NASCAR is more popular than F1/Indy, etc is the closed wheel setup allows side-by-side racing. Notice how you never see side-by-side racing in any open-wheel circuit (for obv reasons). Of course side-by-side racing is where all the tense moments happen.

Plus my friend pointed out there's a whole faction of fans that purposefully root for the California pretty boy types (Jeff Gordon & Jimmie Johnson) just because they can't stand all the Bud-swillin redneck Dale Jr. fans. So there is a "good vs. evil" battle of sorts that goes on too.

In person, it's probably the only sport that you can experience with all 5 senses. And who wouldn't like sitting out in the nice warm sun, pounding beer, eatin burgers, and watchin the hotties walk around all day?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Because he really wasnt in it. He has to get his wings and they started him out in the arca and bush series. I think he will do really well in the 2007 season when he runs it full time and with a big team behind him.
I've no idea what Arca or Bush series means, but whatever the case, I hope you're right and he does well next year. I'm a JPM fan.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike97 3.0P
I'm not that much of a fan but i have grown to respect it over the past couple years. My best friend is obsessed with it and he tells me all the little rules and nuances that make it seem deeper than just cars driving in circles. I will say I cannot watch more than 10 minutes of it even in HD, even less if there is football on. But TV doesn't do it justice. Go to a race and stand right by the fence while 800-HP flies by at 180 mph.

A big reason NASCAR is more popular than F1/Indy, etc is the closed wheel setup allows side-by-side racing. Notice how you never see side-by-side racing in any open-wheel circuit (for obv reasons). Of course side-by-side racing is where all the tense moments happen.

Plus my friend pointed out there's a whole faction of fans that purposefully root for the California pretty boy types (Jeff Gordon & Jimmie Johnson) just because they can't stand all the Bud-swillin redneck Dale Jr. fans. So there is a "good vs. evil" battle of sorts that goes on too.

In person, it's probably the only sport that you can experience with all 5 senses. And who wouldn't like sitting out in the nice warm sun, pounding beer, eatin burgers, and watchin the hotties walk around all day?

I believe as well that Nascar is as popular as it is because its actual racing unlike cart/F1 etc for the whole race. Its side by side racing the entire race for near 40 cars. Unlike your typical F1 race or cart race.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I've no idea what Arca or Bush series means, but whatever the case, I hope you're right and he does well next year. I'm a JPM fan.
Its kinda like formula 3000. Its like how you get started.
I think he will. Hes really talented. i think he will make his rise thru nascar like tony stweart did.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I think you would be surprised about the following. Every year the race here is sold out well before the race. People come from all over the country. Its known as "Race Weekend" through the city. The tickets usually go on sale about a year in advance and sold out shortly there after. Its a really exciting sport to watch if you know what you are watching. It's a lot more than just driving in circles. NASCAR relies heavily on strategy. I do agree, the middle part of the race can be pretty boring, especially on the high speed tracks. Some of the cars are so spread out that litterally NOTHING happens for many many laps.

The race in person is a lot of fun. Its a big ass party over the coarse of a week. I think you would be suprised to find out that a lot of the fans are not the typical red neck stereotype. I know a lot of people that follow the sport religiously and you would never know it just meeting them.

IMO, there has to be said about 4 cars going side by side in turn 4 at Daytona doing 150 mph.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. There are sports that I would rather watch paint dry than watch on tv.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
You also only need to watch the last 2 minutes of a basketball game....
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
beg to differ, but whatever - to each its own
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
That really depends on the score...There's nothing more boring than teams fouling to get the ball back in the last 2 minutes of a basketball game. It drags it out forever and I've rarely seen it work.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Matt

Some reasons it has so many fans.

- Cars racing each other at up too 200 mph literally 8-10 inches away from one another.
- Pit stratagy is very important and sometimes fun to watch.
- Sponsorship
- Beer and Women
- If someone is getting to aggresive or if you have a problem with someone, you give them a little bump and spin em out of the race. (or at least thats what Jeff Gaydon does)
- They must know what theyre doing because sponsors dump tons of millions of dollars into the sport everyyear.

Some of the reasons I dont watch it on tv:
- I dont have HD
- Its really only fun if your there in person
- Kansas speedway tickets are close to $400 a seat.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
if you have a problem with someone, you give them a little bump and spin em out of the race. (or at least thats what Jeff Gaydon does)
So hes the only one thats ever done it? Earnhart was the master at it. Most all do it. Its just so many have a hatred towards #24 for some reason or another that he got highlighted for doing it. Stewart is far more reckless. spencer is/was a larger hot head.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator

F1 racers are the biggest babies known to man. By-and-large they are in no way the pinnacle of professionalism.
oldie but a goodie.. Montoya walks into a cameraman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgGsWhjGpv4
Old 12-18-2006, 01:21 PM

hahah 'you broke my fucking head, nooo, ya!' :theghey:

Quick Reply: Why do people like NASCAR?