Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Who wins it all?
Dallas
18.67%
Phoenix
14.67%
San Antonio
8.00%
Detroit
6.67%
Chicago
17.33%
Toronto
4.00%
Houston
6.67%
Miami
6.67%
Cleveland
1.33%
Utah
0%
Denver
1.33%
Golden State
9.33%
Los Angeles Lakers
2.67%
New Jersey
2.67%
Washington
0%
Orlando
0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Who Wins the NBA Championship?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
more people voted for the Raps than the Pistons
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Golden State in 5, biggest upset in NBA History!!!
3-0 vs. the mavs in the regular season, it COULD happen!

i would say 6 games though if anything
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SG81
more people voted for the Raps than the Pistons
we have influence on AZ
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sonnyg80
3-0 vs. the mavs in the regular season, it COULD happen!

i would say 6 games though if anything
And 6 of the last 7. I would love to see the Mavs get knocked out in the first round.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Missing My CL-S

Originally Posted by fdl
Except for Washington.
that's gotta be one of the biggest collapses i've ever seen
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Missing My CL-S

we have influence on AZ
watcha talking bout willis
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
Man, you are so pessimistic. You have been downplaying the raps success right from the start. They have been the hottest team in the East since the all star break, even better than Detroit. Give them some recognition.

Obviously Washington would have been a better match-up, but I think the raps can easily take NJ. Plus the atmosphere will be amazing. I cant wait to see how Carter handles the relentless booing. Maybe we'll even see him rolling around on the ground holding his knee like he did while her was here. ahhh..good times.

Who the hell have the Raptors beat? The only team worth noting is the Bulls and they haven't been able to win a big game what seems like all year. They played Cleveland twice in the second half and lost both times. Detroit twice and won one at home with Detroit's starters on the bench for the 4th quarter.

The Raps are a good team, but they aren't yet good enough to beat the Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Miami in a 7 game playoff round. Keep in mind that the Nets were very recently in the NBA finals, back to back. They have quite a bit playoff experience. It will be a close series, I just have a bad feeling about the outcome.

And Chicago has the best record in the East since the All-Star break at 20-8.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Who the hell have the Raptors beat? The only team worth noting is the Bulls and they haven't been able to win a big game what seems like all year. They played Cleveland twice in the second half and lost both times. Detroit twice and won one at home with Detroit's starters on the bench for the 4th quarter.

The Raps are a good team, but they aren't yet good enough to beat the Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Miami in a 7 game playoff round. Keep in mind that the Nets were very recently in the NBA finals, back to back. They have quite a bit playoff experience. It will be a close series, I just have a bad feeling about the outcome.

And Chicago has the best record in the East since the All-Star break at 20-8.

Take away the last two games, which meant nothing and where the raps played their bench the whole game. Who had the best record?

Who have they beat? They beat Chicago, they beat Detroit, they beat Miami, and they lost to Celeveland by 1 point. Yet you are convinced they cant beat any of these teams

I'm not saying anything is a sure thing, but you can't say they dont have a chance against these teams. The only team I dont think they have a fair shot at is probably detroit. But they are certainly capable of beating NJ, Cleveland, Miami, and Chicago.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
Take away the last two games, which meant nothing and where the raps played their bench the whole game. Who had the best record?

Who have they beat? They beat Chicago, they beat Detroit, they beat Miami, and they lost to Celeveland by 1 point. Yet you are convinced they cant beat any of these teams

I'm not saying anything is a sure thing, but you can't say they dont have a chance against these teams. The only team I dont think they have a fair shot at is probably detroit. But they are certainly capable of beating NJ, Cleveland, Miami, and Chicago.
They will not be able to beat any of those teams in a 7 game playoff series. Its pretty different than the regular season.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Raps in 5... I have tickets for game 1...

going to be wearing one of these

go Raps
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

They will not be able to beat any of those teams in a 7 game playoff series. Its pretty different than the regular season.

And how do you know this? What makes them any less capable in the post season.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
And how do you know this? What makes them any less capable in the post season.
The team has practically no playoff experience, which will affect them. Especially going up against teams with a lot of playoff experience such as the Heat, and the Nets. I am not toally convinced that they can beat Cleveland, however they are capable. Im not exactly thrilled about the way the Cavs have been playing despite their record. And for the Bulls, they might have a chance, but then again with the Bulls having home court, also the best home record in the East it would be a stretch for the Raps to be able to take them out. However this is all speculation and we all know in the NBA anything can happen, such as GS taking down the Mavs
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl

Never said they don't have a chance. I just don't think it will happen.

Toronto's record since the break is 18-9 before the last 2 games and 18-11 with.

They may have lost to Cleveland by one point at home, but lost by 23 in Cleveland 2 weeks later. Anyway, no point in arguing individual games.

NJ has pulled things together recently after they got healthy, having said that, they haven't been able to beat anybody of significance either.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Ya, I'm not saying they are favored to win or anything, I just get frustrated when people imply that they have no chance at all, when I'd say they have a decent shot at everyone (Except maybe Detroit).
Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SG81
watcha talking bout willis
look @ where some of our mods are from
Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
Ya, I'm not saying they are favored to win or anything, I just get frustrated when people imply that they have no chance at all, when I'd say they have a decent shot at everyone (Except maybe Detroit).

IMO Everything points to the Raptors beating the Nets.

They are simply a better overall team.

Bosh > Carter
Deeper Bench (Probably one of the deepest in the NBA)
Better outside shooting

What worries me is the Carter effect and experience. Will he go off for 50? They don't call Jason Kidd Mr Clutch for nothing. Like I said, its just a bad feeling. Its the one match up I didn't want to see.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I worry more about Kidd than Carter. Carter may have a hot game, but he will also have very cold games as well. He shoots ALOT, so when he is cold, he will cripple a team.

I think Carter is a guy that chokes more often than having a huge game. I'm not too worried.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
IMO Everything points to the Raptors beating the Nets.

They are simply a better overall team.

1Bosh > Carter
2Deeper Bench (Probably one of the deepest in the NBA)
3Better outside shooting

What worries me is the Carter effect and experience. Will he go off for 50? They don't call Jason Kidd Mr Clutch for nothing. Like I said, its just a bad feeling. Its the one match up I didn't want to see.
1. How exactly?
2. Def not the deepest in the NBA, Spurs, Det, Dallas..
3. Now that House is out,
Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
And 6 of the last 7. I would love to see the Mavs get knocked out in the first round.
mavs all the way.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:41 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

1. How exactly?

Purely from a talent/skill perspective, I think Carter is better. But Bosh has a better attitude and work ethic, and comes through in the clutch more often than vince. I'd take Bosh over Carter any day.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Race Director

Bulls will make it to at least the Eastern Conference Finals or the NBA Finals and will unfortunately lose to whoever they'll play.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

We need to play the Jordan rules defence on Carter..

much like how the Bad boys pistons did in the early 90's

Double team every time he touches.. foul him hard.. physical defence.. push him around as much as you legally can.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Bulls will make it to at least the Eastern Conference Finals or the NBA Finals and will unfortunately lose to whoever they'll play.

Hmmm...is this the same bulls team that went limp against NJ last night?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

ESPN prediction:

5. TORONTO (3) vs. NEW JERSEY (6)

As an unabashed Canada-lover, it pains me to report that no team was a bigger loser on the final day of the regular season than my Raps.

If the Bulls had beaten the Nets in New Jersey, Toronto would get Washington in the first round. The Raps will instead get Vince Carter's Nets, except that Vince is the least of Toronto's problems.

The Raps, as one veteran scout described them to me, are "the closest thing we've got to a Phoenix of the East."

But Toronto wins by forcing teams to play at its pace and the Nets have been functioning at the same speed lately; long outlet passes and speeding up the tempo are among the factors that sparked the 7-2 finishing kick in April that enabled Jersey to finish at 41-41 after its season of many surgeries.

Given the Nets' considerable edge in playoff experience, proven ability to play Toronto's game and the unavailability of Raps rookie glue guy Jorge Garbajosa, I can't pick the Canadians to extend their return to the postseason to Round 2 no matter how much I want to.

As for Carter's return to hostile territory, let's hope that lives up to billing and delivers an international incident or two. Don't forget that this season was supposed to be Vince's greatest because he was in a contract year. We didn't see the Vinsanity we were promised until the season's final month.

Then again, maybe the Raps should be worried about Carter, since there's still time for a contract drive.

Prediction: Nets in six
Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fdl
Hmmm...is this the same bulls team that went limp against NJ last night?
I am still not convinced that they can take Miami down. Miami hasn't played well in the regular season but they are a plyoff minded team and will not go down without a big fight. And as long as Wade plays how he did in the 4th Qtr last friday against the Pacers, I think the Bulls will have a hard time taking them down, especially after seeing the way they couldnt do anything against the Nets last night.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

1. How exactly?
2. Def not the deepest in the NBA, Spurs, Det, Dallas..
3. Now that House is out,

Carter is the most overrated player in the league. If he was so good, why were the Nets hapless without Kidd and Jefferson. Not to mention he's a pansy that drops like a sack of potatoes every time someone rubs him the wrong way.

Didn't say the deepest, I said one of. But its funny that more a one Western Conference coach has come in here and commented on how deep their bench is after playing the Raptors. Certainly deeper than NJ anyway. But the loss of Garjbhosa hurts.

Peterson, Bargnani, Parker are all very good 3 point shooters.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:50 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by chinoz
We need to play the Jordan rules defence on Carter..

much like how the Bad boys pistons did in the early 90's

Double team every time he touches.. foul him hard.. physical defence.. push him around as much as you legally can.
with the rules now, you can't play the jordan rules on anyone. if you so much touch a player, you'll get whistled for a foul. you'll foul out all your players. the game was played a lot differently than before.

i think the raptors are better letting carter shoot jump shots. he's way more effective when he drives to the basket and lets that open up the rest of his game. i'd be more comfortable with seeing him shoot from the perimeter and get lazy and comfortable out there.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Chicago needed that game last night. I don't like their chances.

Unless, Wade goes down or plays like shit.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i think the raptors are better letting carter shoot jump shots. he's way more effective when he drives to the basket and lets that open up the rest of his game.

But making things rough on the way to the basket is the way to force him to settle for jumpers.

I think we're focusing too much on the East when it obvious that whomever makes it gets to be the sacrificial lamb to the Mavs, Suns or Spurs anyway.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dom

I think we're focusing too much on the East when it obvious that whomever makes it gets to be the sacrificial lamb to the Mavs, Suns or Spurs anyway.

But until the finals, the east will be more exciting to follow/watch
Old 04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think Dallas will take it all.. homecourt being the difference
Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Carter is the most overrated player in the league. If he was so good, why were the Nets hapless without Kidd and Jefferson. Not to mention he's a pansy that drops like a sack of potatoes every time someone rubs him the wrong way.

Didn't say the deepest, I said one of. But its funny that more a one Western Conference coach has come in here and commented on how deep their bench is after playing the Raptors. Certainly deeper than NJ anyway. But the loss of Garjbhosa hurts.

Peterson, Bargnani, Parker are all very good 3 point shooters.
If you told me that he was the most overrated player in the league last month i would have agreed. But after what he has been doing in the last month or so with 3 triple doubles in his last 12 games, id have to say otherwise. And what team is anywhere near decent with 1 All-Star and practically no other supporting cast. And as far as 3s Kidd, Carter, and espcially, Nachbar can all throw them down. I cant wait for this series, its going to be entertaining to say the least.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dom
But making things rough on the way to the basket is the way to force him to settle for jumpers.

true. i guess i was just trying to say that the jordan rules won't work.

and yea, the east will be very exciting because it's so open. each team has a chance.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by dom
Chicago needed that game last night. I don't like their chances.

Unless, Wade goes down or plays like shit.
i think they have a viable shot...their perimeter play is much better and faster than miami's. that'll be the heat's biggest weakness, but if Wade is back to form, Heat willl carry through.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
true. i guess i was just trying to say that the jordan rules won't work.

and yea, the east will be very exciting because it's so open. each team has a chance.
Well except for Washington . I like Howards enthusiasim going into the playoffs facing Detroit in the first round. Probably won't do much for him though.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

And as far as 3s Kidd, Carter, and espcially, Nachbar can all throw them down.
Wow.. if Kidd hits his 3's.. then the raps don't have a chance.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i think they have a viable shot...their perimeter play is much better and faster than miami's. that'll be the heat's biggest weakness, but if Wade is back to form, Heat willl carry through.
Of course without Wade playing exceptionally well, the Heat's chances are slim, but i think for this round, Posey and Walker are going to be the Heat's X-factors. If they play well and Wade and Shaq do, the Bulls don't stand a chance.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM

Well except for Washington . I like Howards enthusiasim going into the playoffs facing Detroit in the first round. Probably won't do much for him though.
well yea...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by chinoz
Wow.. if Kidd hits his 3's.. then the raps don't have a chance.
Hovering around 35% he is a decent shooter, but he always seems to make the big 3s coming down the stretch.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

i always thought he was below average from 3's... guess he's improved

Quick Reply: Who Wins the NBA Championship?