Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Trade: Lakers get Pau Gasol

Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
...:
1) How well will Gasol learn the offense,
2) How well will the Lakers re-integrate Bynum and Ariza coming off of injuries heading into the playoffs, and
3) how well will Pau integrate defensively.

1) Hopefully in 1 month, he can get enough exposure with bynum being injured to learn quickly..

2) this shouldnt be an issue for bynum. bynum success is more around his footwork and strength. kobe is the one who creates for him, so its very easy to integrate anyone into the offense.

Ariza's game is more about steals and man to man coverage so bringing him back wont be too hard once hes healthy.

3) As a center in the west, he wont do so well. SO the quicker bynum gets back, the sooner gasol can go back to a PF position.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
A very good pick up for the Lake show but this doesn't guarantee them anything. It takes time to learn the triangle offense. The Lakers can certainly out-talent many of their opponents but when it comes to the playoffs they will be facing the creme-de-la-creme of the Western Conference, and not just one game at a time but for a multi game series. Defensively the other team will have studied, game planned, and made adjustments. In these situations is where the Lakers will need the triangle offense to be instinctive. Just knowing the basics won't get it done against the San Antonios and Dallases. The questions I need to ask are: 1. How well will Gasol learn the offense, 2) How well will the Lakers re-integrate Bynum and Ariza coming off of injuries heading into the playoffs, and how well will Pau integrate defensively.
All true. Although Gasol is seen as someone who can learn the triangle quickly. He's a great passer, and what he lacks in toughness, he makes up for with intelligence. I'm not too worried about him learning the triangle by the time the playoffs are here.

The key to it all, I think, is really Bynum. Gasol can't guard Duncan, Amare, etc.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Pau needs to learn the defensive concepts at the 4 spot. Since Bynum will likely stay close to the paint, Pau will take those 4s and 5s that are setting screens for those perimeter players. Against the lightning quick 1s of the West, we need him to show and recover quickly, and help and rotate when needed.

I think he'll fit in quick. He a smart player, and has played in multiple systems here and abroad. I'm sure the triangle is one of many offensive schemes that'll be running around in his head.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Im No Superman

Gonna watch the game on TV in half an hour.. Pau is starting

Last edited by h2o-pr00f; 02-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f
Gonna watch the game on TV in half an hour.. Pau is starting
ill be at barneys if u want to go.. i promise ill leave my camera at home
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Big White Chocolate

Gasol with 24 points and 12 boards in his debut.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Safety Car

...and 4 starters OTHER THAN KOBE in double digits!!
Kobe only scored 6 pts! We still won. This is going to be a good team, fellow Laker fans.

Gasol showed a little of it all out there. Passing, midrange, interior dominance. He was smooth. What I liked about his game was that it was very polished. Kept the ball above his head, took long strides, screen and rolled at the right times, and hauled in 6 offensive rebounds.

I think Pau will do fine; can't wait until Bynum is back.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

I've got a question for all you laker fans...

If Bynum was so good when he was playign why was he only playing 28 minutes a game?
And when did he make the leap from a decent player to a gamechanging superstar?

ESPN talking about him outplaying stoudemire, and SI talking about Bynum being the best big in the West. Are you fucking kidding me? This is the same guy that Kobe said "we didnt trade kidd for bynum, andrew 'fucking' bynum"

People started comparing him to dwight howard too WTF

There's the Dwight Howards, Timmy Ds, and KGs

Then there's the Cambys and the Chandlers

...and ONLY then are the Bynums, Illgauskas, and Nenad Kristics
Old 02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by michep21

If Bynum was so good when he was playign why was he only playing 28 minutes a game?

ESPN talking about him outplaying stoudemire, and SI talking about Bynum being the best big in the West. Are you fucking kidding me? This is the same guy that Kobe said "we didnt trade kidd for bynum, andrew 'fucking' bynum"

If you don't see Bynum's potential you seriously need to take off the hate goggles.

This is only his 3rd full season. The reason he's only playing 30 minutes is because he doesn't have the stamina yet. Even then, he's averaging 13/10 on 63% shooting... very efficient. He's only going to get better and yes will be the best big man in the West at some point.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by chinoz
If you don't see Bynum's potential you seriously need to take off the hate goggles.

This is only his 3rd full season. The reason he's only playing 30 minutes is because he doesn't have the stamina yet. Even then, he's averaging 13/10 on 63% shooting... very efficient. He's only going to get better and yes will be the best big man in the West at some point.
with improvement and Kareem's help then he will be close to a 20/10 guy if he toughen enough.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by asianspec
with improvement and Kareem's help then he will be close to a 20/10 guy if he toughen enough.
In maybe 2 years...but as of now he's not really gamechanging. And for those morons who compare him to Dwight Howard...NOTHING CLOSE/never will be
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

In maybe 2 years...but as of now he's not really gamechanging. And for those morons who compare him to Dwight Howard...NOTHING CLOSE/never will be

he might never reach Dwight Howard, but he'll be pretty close. He has all the right skills...
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Safety Car

Relax big guy. If you're trying to make Bynum fit into your myopic views, then so be it. If you can't see the potential, then that's on you.

28 minutes? to bring him along slowly, dude he's only 20!

Kobe saying trade him? Its been a long time since last summer. Find more recent quotes on Kobe. He most recently said Bynum is what makes us into a championship team. This was before Gasol.

Dude, other people give Bynum props, not just us Laker fans. Don't get all butt-hurt because he's compared to your mancrush, Howard. Is that what this is really about?

Who was talking about Howard anyways?

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 02-06-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Big White Chocolate

Is Howard better than Bynum right now? Absolutely. No question.

But Bynum's in the middle of his second full season. If you look at the leap he made from last season to this, you'd understand why everyone is high on Bynum. Howard is getting his numbers because he's playing more minutes. If you look at Howard's second season, it's pretty comparable to Bynum's. I have no doubt Howard is more athletic than Bynum at the same stage in their career. That's why Howard was able to play as many minutes as he did when he first came into the league.

And the reason why the Lakers are contenders right now is because of Bynum. If he weren't doing well right now, the Lakers would not have the record they have and Kobe would be pouting.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by NetEditor
And the reason why the Lakers are contenders right now is because of Bynum. If he weren't doing well right now, the Lakers would not have the record they have and Kobe would be pouting.
agreed..