Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Torre turns down offer from Yankees

Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torre turns down offer from Yankees

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7...PHCP&GT1=10539

Joe Torre is out as manager of the New York Yankees, rejecting a substantial pay cut after the team failed to make it past the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year.

Torre turned down a $5 million, one-year contract Thursday that still would have made him the highest paid manager in baseball.
Bench coach Don Mattingly is the leading contender to replace Torre, who led the Yanks to 12 straight playoff appearances and won four World Series championships. Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi, the NL Manager of the Year with Florida in 2006, is another top contender.

"It's a difficult day," general manager Brian Cashman said.

But it was a day Yankees' fans could see coming.

After losing the first two playoff games to Cleveland, owner George Steinbrenner said he didn't think Torre would be back if the Yankees didn't advance.

Torre, who took over the team to start the 1996 season, made his decision after traveling fom New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla. He was accompanied by Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost.

"It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.

Torre made $7.5 million this year, the final season of a $19.2 million, three-year contract. His new deal would have included substantial bonuses for each round of the playoffs the team reached.

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Torre led the Yankees to the postseason every year he managed them, winning the AL East 10 times. But the Yankees have gone without a Series championship in the last seven and haven't even reached it since 2003, a stretch of futility that finally prompted Steinbrenner to make a change.

ALCS Game 5, Thursday, 8 p.m. ET (FOX)
ALCS LIVE: Thursday, 6:30 p.m. ET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News:
Torre rejects Yankees' offer

Delhomme has major elbow surgery
For all of today's top stories, click here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Featured content:
Whitlock: The hip hop culture cancer

Rosenthal: Can C.C. find swagger?

Win a trip to BCS Championship
Rumors:
Kobe takes Knicks off wish list?
For all of today's rumors, click here.
Video:
The Alternative with Jay Mohr
For more videos, click here.
Photo galleries:
Spectacular sports divorces

NCAA Cheerleaders
For more photos, click here.

With 2,067 regular-season wins, Torre is eighth on the career list and was third among active managers behind Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals (2,375) and Bobby Cox (2,255) of the Atlanta Braves. Torre's four World Series titles are likely to earn him a place in the Hall of Fame — every manager with three or more has been inducted.

As for salary, he led all managers — Lou Piniella of the Cubs was second at $3.5 million a year.

Torre's was the longest uninterrupted term for a Yankees manager since Casey Stengel held the job from 12 years from 1949-60. Stengel was pushed out, too, let go after his team lost a seven-game World Series to Pittsburgh.

Under Torre, the Yankees went 1,173-767. He trails only Joe McCarthy (1,460) for wins among Yankees managers.

"This has been a great 12 years. Whatever the hell happens from here on out, I'll look back on these 12 years with great, great pleasure," Torre said after his final game, his voice quavering as he tried to avoid choking up. "The 12 years just felt like they were 10 minutes long, to be honest with you."

He wouldn't address his future.

"If I have some options, I'll look at it because I'm certainly not ready to move somewhere and not do anything," the 67-year-old New Yorker said.

When Torre succeeded Buck Showalter, the Yankees had not won the World Series since 1978, the longest drought since the team's first title in 1923. It was the 20th change in manager following Steinbrenner's purchase of the franchise in 1973.

Torre never had much success as a manager before landing in New York, and many predicted he would be gone in no time. But he turned out to be a rock and a buffer to the blustery Steinbrenner. He was calm, stoic and brought an unprecedented period of stability to a team accustomed to constant turmoil.

The Brooklyn native was a former NL MVP and a nine-time All-Star. Before joining the Yankees, he had unsuccessful managing stints with the Braves, Cardinals and Mets — the three clubs he played for. When the Yankees hired him, one New York paper dubbed him: "Clueless Joe."

But New York won the World Series in 1996, led by a group that included Bernie Williams, rookie Derek Jeter, setup man Mariano Rivera, Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez. With catcher Jorge Posada added in, they won the Series from 1998-2000, the first team to win three straight since the Swingin' Oakland A's of 1972-74, and advanced to Game 7 of the Series in 2001, when they failed to hold a ninth-inning lead at Arizona.

Since then, despite baseball's largest payroll, there has been only frustration: a first-round loss to the Anaheim Angels in 2002, a World Series defeat to the Florida Marlins in 2003 and a painful exit the following year, when they allowed the Boston Red Sox to overcome a 3-0 deficit in the AL championship series.

They lost to the Angels in five games in the first round in 2005, were eliminated by the Detroit Tigers last year and were knocked out by Cleveland this year.

Communication between Torre and Steinbrenner deteriorated in 2005, and it wasn't clear that Torre would return for 2006 until after the pair met in Tampa. Steinbrenner meddled less with the team the past two seasons — even during a 21-29 start this year — giving almost unprecedented authority to Torre and Cashman.

Mattingly became the Yankees' bench coach this year following three seasons as hitting coach. A six-time All-Star and a former AL MVP, he starred for the team from 1982-95 and is a fan favorite whose No. 23 was retired by the Yankees in 1997.

Girardi is a Torre protege who kept a young Florida team in contention until late in the 2006 season with a no-nonsense approach.
good move by torre, in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good for him.

There's just only so much a manager can do. Torre got them into the playoffs every year which is a much better indicator of his quality (and the team's quality) than how well they play in 5 and 7 game crapshoots.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Smart move....time to move on.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
+1 good for him.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

It was time for Torre to go...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone think that if the Sox get bounced by the Indians that Boston would fire Francona and try to hire Joe?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

i've thought about that. but i don't think torre would do it.

but a-rod, maybe.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by synth19
+1 good for him.
+ 2
Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Originally Posted by NetEditor
Does anyone think that if the Sox get bounced by the Indians that Boston would fire Francona and try to hire Joe?
Nah I think Torre is done coaching for now, and Boston loves Francona plus he won the Division this year first time in Beantown since 1995 and led the AL East all year long there is nothing to fire him over.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I had a feeling this would happen. He wasn't too enthused last year coming back. But he can say he left on his terms now & wasn't fired. That's a plus.
This may lesson the blow to the other players that were waiting for the decision.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I have a feeling that if they offered him the same money or even more then he was making this year, that he still would have walked away. No matter how much money you offer someone, once they feel their value has been questioned their desire to perform is gone. Whether you make $10/hr or $7M a year, this holds true. I do not like the yankees, not the biggest torre fan either, but I give him loads of credit for making the move. Good for him.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
I have a feeling that if they offered him the same money or even more then he was making this year, that he still would have walked away. No matter how much money you offer someone, once they feel their value has been questioned their desire to perform is gone. Whether you make $10/hr or $7M a year, this holds true. I do not like the yankees, not the biggest torre fan either, but I give him loads of credit for making the move. Good for him.
absolutely agree.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
It had more to do with the length of the contract (Torre wanted 2 years) than the money.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
good for him. I also think that he did the right move rejecting their offer.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 550 Posts
I believe he made the right move as well.

Steinbreners comments during the playoffs.
Making him wait 2 weeks and not inviting him down to Tampa for the meeting.
and then offering him only 1 year.

Now the question is who they will get to replace Torre. Mattingly, Giardi?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 AM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Senile Steinbrenner probably prefers Don Mattingly because of his "name value" but Giraldi is far more qualified to lead the Yanks. LaRussa is an interesting option but I doubt he would want to spend his day-to-day under the NYC media microscope.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i couldn't be happier torre is gone. i don't think he is all that great of a manager. he knows how to handle the media, but has no strategy.

i don't want mattingly to be manager, because that would mean ANOTHER laid back manager who does nothing to inspire the players. BUT i might be able to accept mattingly if girardi is bench coach.

girardi all the way. yankees need a swift kick in the ass.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 550 Posts
this is a cute spin on the "Evil Empire"

http://ourstereo.com/yankees/
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beelzebub
this is a cute spin on the "Evil Empire"

http://ourstereo.com/yankees/
"But to try to portray a guy who gave his all for so many years as some kind of scoundrel is just lame."

Not saying Torre didn't work... but with the players he had, i don't see how he had much 'hard work' to do, considering we got knocked out in the first round so many times including this year where we had, hands down, best offensive numbers in baseball.

"Could they have picked a more weasely image of Torre?"

That's one of the few pictures of him that he is actually standing. Most images of Torre that come to mind is his ass planted on the bench in the dugout during every single game looking like he would rather be somewhere else.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

His news conference was informative. Sounded to me it was about respect & not money. Also sounds like the organization is now being run by the sons & is now corporate & business.
Something no baseball fan, player, or coach likes.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:07 PM
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

What's up with Italian-Americans and the ubiquitous issue of "respect" ...

Happy retirement to Joe ... hopefully we can see his ugly mug on Baseball Tonight, instead of that marble-mouthed Eduardo Perez or obviously illiterate Fernando Vina.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
eduardo perez sucks!...i can't believe he's had that job as long as he has

...on Torre, the Yankees basically fired him without actually firing him by offering him that bullshit 1-year deal with incentives. He had too much pride to stay.
The man has taken his team to the playoffs 12 years out of 12 and won 4 titles, and he gets a worse deal than a lot of teams offer rookie, no-name coaches.
I hope whatever sucker they get to coach the team next year doesn't expect to be there long...Torre's a tough act to follow.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I think they should just make Larry Bowa manager he has a few screws loose and seems to like it and agree 100% with Clean CL..Us Yankee fans need a kick in the ass and plus like any other job you get you get paid for your performance. I agree with Yankee mgmt for once. I also don't mind seeing Mariano go either but they MUST keep Posada.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

we have the money to keep moe. no one will pay him more than the yanks, and he has never played for anyone else. i'm sure he doesn't like that torre is gone, but he will be in an even more unfamiliar situation going to a new club.

posada... i could take him or leave him. i acknowledge he had a fantastic year offensively but produced squat in the playoffs. imo - not a very good catcher. ever watch him during each pitch? he leans to the right / left, stands up, squats down... WELL before the pitch. batters don't need signs... they can just look at posada and see where he is setting up.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't agree with that at all.
Posada is a great catcher. He knows how to work with all the pitchers & he moves around like that to throw the batters off, not help them.
He's an anchor for the pitching staff. If he doesn't come back, it will suck.

The blame for this season is the pitching. The blame for the post season is the pitching, the blame for the last 3 years has been the pitching.
This is where they need to gain.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

how is it throwing the batter off when he is setting up well advance for the pitch he wants? he is basically telling them where the ball is going to be thrown. he is mediocre catcher at best who had a great offensive this year. i'm sure he will get a ton of offers, but i don't see his presence on the team as being essential.

yes, pitching is/was bad. i hear guidry is all but gone. and also to blame was torre for not having a clue how to manage a bullpen. clemens should have never pitched.. but torre and his loyalty took over on that one. thanks joe.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

btw - i think it's funny that you defended posada and said he is an achor of the pitching staff, and then said the pitching was to blame for the last 4 years.