Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

REPORT: Knicks eyeing Jackson to replace Thomas

Old 04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
REPORT: Knicks eyeing Jackson to replace Thomas

To get the New York Knicks back on the right track, newly appointed president Donnie Walsh may be looking for a New York city kind of guy.

According to a report in the New York Daily News, Walsh has targeted former-Knick point guard and current television analyst Mark Jackson to take over from Isiah Thomas as coach of the New York Knicks.

Few players can boast as much New York-credibility as Jackson. The native of Brooklyn was drafted by the Knicks with the 18th overall pick in the 1987 draft and spent parts of six seasons with the team. Prior to the NBA, Jackson manned the point for New York-based St. John's University, playing a key role in the team's Final Four run in 1985.

Jackson is reportedly close to Walsh, dating back to the days when Jackson was starting point guard for Donnie Walsh's Indiana Pacers.

Walsh has previously stated that he has a three-year plan to bring the Knicks back to respectability. Jackson has no previous coaching experience, but would be expected use those three-years as on-the-job training.
How are they supposed to get back on the right track with a coach that has NO experience?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...you know what they say....or at least what I see...the role players always make the best coaches.....ex...byron scott (maybe closes to a star)....you got gms, steve kerr, john paxon, maurice cheeks, doc rivers, pa riley, PHIL Jackson, sam mitchell, eddie jordan, avery johnson, mike dunleavy, rick adelman, karl, don nelson, sloan....he may not have coaching experience but i think he'll do well according to the coaching trend...

I hate to say this but Jordan is not that great of a GM, look at Isiah, I think Magic coached a season, and now Shaq wants to be the GM of Orlando when he's done and he wants Grant HIll as his right hand man....
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UNeeKLiNG
well...you know what they say....or at least what I see...the role players always make the best coaches.....ex...byron scott (maybe closes to a star)....you got gms, steve kerr, john paxon, maurice cheeks, doc rivers, pa riley, PHIL Jackson, sam mitchell, eddie jordan, avery johnson, mike dunleavy, rick adelman, karl, don nelson, sloan....he may not have coaching experience but i think he'll do well according to the coaching trend...

I hate to say this but Jordan is not that great of a GM, look at Isiah, I think Magic coached a season, and now Shaq wants to be the GM of Orlando when he's done and he wants Grant HIll as his right hand man....

So many thoughts. So much info. So many angles. All crammed into one post.

Think I understood 80% of it.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM

^ most of it were just names?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^I understood. I don't know if Mark Jackson has the charisma to handle the situation the Knicks have. A bunch of malcontents who are paid way more than they are worth, who think they are being paid exactly what they are worth. They don't self-regulate themselves like a normal team of grown men should; so it'll be difficult for Mark to do it without some veteran leaders on the team.

However, while Jax has no coaching experience, the logic that I see in it is that he will likely follow whatever upper-management will say; he's a company guy.

So, the most important person in that organization right now is Donnie Walsh. His ability to rid them of those bad contracts and regulate the players behind closed doors will be the key to success. Give Jax a good team to coach, and then we'll see whether he's a good coach like the guys you mentioned.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 04-21-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Just dial 1911

Dumb. These losers need a Bobby Knight.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Damn, talk about must-see tv. That would be awesome.

The Knicks have no where to go but up, why the hell not.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Damn, talk about must-see tv. That would be awesome.

The Knicks have no where to go but up, why the hell not.
They all need the shit smacked out of them. A couple of chairs thrown during a game and that should get em fired back up.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

agree. and this has been the trend lately. hire former players. and the more successful former player-turned-coaches have been point guards.

personally, i hope he gets the gig because i'm sick of hearing him on espn.

magic coached like 12 games and didn't do well.

MJ is not a great GM. and a lot of great players have not been great coaches. larry bird had one good season though.

the theory is that these "great" players demand too much from other players and can't deal with them not meeting expectations.

i think that's true with MJ, and it was apparent during his time with the wizards as front office man and player. however, MJ's also been a bad judge of talent.

dunno about shaq. but i think grant hill would be successful.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Just dial 1911

Shaq a coach????? LOL.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Shaq a coach????? LOL.
and now Shaq wants to be the GM of Orlando when he's done

what happened to shaq wanting to be a fulltime sheriff?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks

what happened to shaq wanting to be a fulltime sheriff?
Or rapper or genie?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM

Shaq a coach????? LOL.
no shaq wants to be a GM kinda like jerry west

and a sherrif on the side?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Just dial 1911

fail.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Knight would run in there like a bat out of hell and turn the place into a boot camp, which is exactly what they need.