Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Costco (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Here's the scenario from another perspective.

Near as I can tell from various articles (and I'm rounding a bit), he gave up $14.5M this year and turned down $15M/year (what the $70M offer would have paid him the first two years) because he wanted $17M, which is a 17.2% raise.

So would someone making say $100k, give that up for a year in order to get $117k when they were offered $103k. Never. Point being holding out like that is a privilege of the rich. It falls into the "must be nice" category to not sweat a lifetime of income to get a 17% raise. I don't think I'm wrong saying this is somewhat spoiled and privileged behavior on Bell's part.
Oh 100% agreed.

But this applies to any persons who are at that level of wealth AND at this unique position. It's not like a regular worker who has a 30-40+ year career stability who can give up an entire year's worth of salary.

But it is pretty much a given fact that the wealthy, in general, are spoiled/entitled and privileged. And given his unique situation as an NFL player with very limited years of career as a RB and his obvious talent/skill and risk of a career-ending injury, him and his agent will try to manuver to see maximum pay.

Someone making 100k doesn't have a expected 1-10 year expected total career span where every day you go into work with a very real possibility that you can get severely injured and will be unable to earn a paycheck from that industry for the rest of your life not to mention permanent injury that you have to live with in chronic pain or even worse...with CTE that can turn into tragic results.

He can only do what HE feels is best in his situation. It becomes morally impossible to apply a "fair salary" to someone like him...because "oh look at how much money he's making already, he doesn't need more millions when he already has millions!" Not to mention it will benefit his family as well.

Last edited by nist7; 11-14-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Agree with what you said. Couple comments...

Originally Posted by nist7
Someone making 100k doesn't have a expected 1-10 year expected total career span where every day you go into work with a very real possibility that you can get severely injured and will be unable to earn a paycheck from that industry for the rest of your life not to mention permanent injury that you have to live with in chronic pain or even worse...with CTE that can turn into tragic results.
However, cops meet that description. So do fireman, military, heavy machinery operators/construction workers, etc. We don't see some Sergeant in the Army refusing to go to war until he gets 10x salary next year because he might die. Or a construction worker holding out because his occupation involves potential for a career ending injury. No other occupation I can think of that has risk of career ending injury or death takes this approach. Any other industry, they fire them and move on. So Bell's situation is unique - true statement. But part of that uniqueness is the privilege he enjoys to be able to even take this approach.

So since comparing this to "real life" occupations probably isn't productive, I think maybe it has to be evaluated on it's own merits relative to other NFL players in the same boat. So Bell violated the terms of his contract because $15M/year wasn't enough. Is that right or wrong for an NFL player? Probably an individual assessment I would think. I think it's a bit privileged and selfish, and I think it's going to backfire. But you know, I'm not in his shoes either. If he became a Seahawk next year I'd be all over rooting for him, so I'm a big hypocrite too.

nist7 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Agree with what you said. Couple comments...

However, cops meet that description. So do fireman, military, heavy machinery operators/construction workers, etc. We don't see some Sergeant in the Army refusing to go to war until he gets 10x salary next year because he might die. Or a construction worker holding out because his occupation involves potential for a career ending injury. No other occupation I can think of that has risk of career ending injury or death takes this approach. Any other industry, they fire them and move on. So Bell's situation is unique - true statement. But part of that uniqueness is the privilege he enjoys to be able to even take this approach.

So since comparing this to "real life" occupations probably isn't productive, I think maybe it has to be evaluated on it's own merits relative to other NFL players in the same boat. So Bell violated the terms of his contract because $15M/year wasn't enough. Is that right or wrong for an NFL player? Probably an individual assessment I would think. I think it's a bit privileged and selfish, and I think it's going to backfire. But you know, I'm not in his shoes either. If he became a Seahawk next year I'd be all over rooting for him, so I'm a big hypocrite too.
AH yeah very true about those very physically hazardous occupations.

The reason for those guys with no ability to do what Bell does: you can easily find replacements for cops, construction workers, fire fighters, machinery operators, military, etc. etc. Some maybe not as easy as others, but there are millions of people who are qualified to do those jobs.

Maybe a dozen(give or take some) people in the world can replace someone like Bell, (and all of them are already employed...) who is among the cream of the crop at what he does for his very skilled occupation. Clearly sometimes you find diamonds in the rough (Kareem Hunt exploded onto the scene last year due to Spencer Ware injury, James Conner this year with the Bell hold out) but when you make it to a NFL team as the 2nd backup to a starter, you're already very highly skilled/capable and in a ultra select group of people.

But yes overall I agree it is a very nice privilege to be doing what he does, but it is also due to his unique set of circumstance and clearly he has the talent/skill in a very niche occupation that is highly in demand as well.

We'll see if he gets a big guaranteed deal before next season. Certainly a big gamble that may or may not pay off

Last edited by nist7; 11-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,648 Likes on 13,889 Posts

Steelers players split up Bell's belongings as they clean out his locker.
97BlackAckCL (11-16-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
AH yeah very true about those very physically hazardous occupations.

The reason for those guys with no ability to do what Bell does: you can easily find replacements for cops, construction workers, fire fighters, machinery operators, military, etc. etc. Some maybe not as easy as others, but there are millions of people who are qualified to do those jobs.

Maybe a dozen(give or take some) people in the world can replace someone like Bell, (and all of them are already employed...) who is among the cream of the crop at what he does for his very skilled occupation. Clearly sometimes you find diamonds in the rough (Kareem Hunt exploded onto the scene last year due to Spencer Ware injury, James Conner this year with the Bell hold out) but when you make it to a NFL team as the 2nd backup to a starter, you're already very highly skilled/capable and in a ultra select group of people.

But yes overall I agree it is a very nice privilege to be doing what he does, but it is also due to his unique set of circumstance and clearly he has the talent/skill in a very niche occupation that is highly in demand as well.

We'll see if he gets a big guaranteed deal before next season. Certainly a big gamble that may or may not pay off
Seems Steelers did FIND a replacement for Bell..., reason they knew they didn’t need him.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jupitersolo

Seems Steelers did FIND a replacement for Bell..., reason they knew they didn’t need him.
Oh for sure. That definitely helped the Steelers not give into Bell. Conner is this year's Kareem Hunt. A backup that was thrust into the starter role and had an amazing show out.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Oh for sure. That definitely helped the Steelers not give into Bell. Conner is this year's Kareem Hunt. A backup that was thrust into the starter role and had an amazing show out.
Small additional point - when DeAngelo Williams was in for Bell several years ago (I think suspension if I recall), DeAngelo killed it. I remember because I had him in fantasy.

This is why I'm curious if Bell is truly this unicorn of a talent, or if he's shining brighter than normal because of a supportive system and team. We'll find out next season for sure. In the mean time, Pitt seems to be trucking right along using Conner.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Some additional NFL business points that seems to be gaining traction on reddit regarding this:

That's assuming they didn't run his ass into the ground again this year and caused a life altering injury. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even a 30 million dollar contract guaranteed is worth it.
Everyone is thinking about this the wrong way. If the next CBA reforms or abolishes the franchise tag this becomes a profitable decision for every player who negotiates a contract thereafter. This is more about security than money. He's the truest workhorse in the league, he's one of two guys this decade with 400+ touches in a season, and he's been without a contract for 1/3rd of his time as a pro.

They were all too content to try to run him into the ground last year, and presumably would do it again this year, and then let him walk with 400 more hits on his body, assuming he avoids injury. The tag provides no security and no negotiating power to the player and is strictly unethical as a business practice. Earl Thomas should have done the same thing.
The franchise tag is the issue here as it allows a team year to year control without any guarantees past that year. As long as it's in place teams are going to use it to avoid taking on unnecessary risk. Most teams aren't in the business of paying more than they have to as a nice gesture. It basically guarantees that elite players will be underpaid because they can't negotiate with any other team to determine their true value. That'd be like working a job that's underpaying you and all you can do is try to negotiate up with that company without the option of leaving.

As far as the tag though, unless players are willing to hold out, they may have trouble getting it taken away. Negotiating power for the NFLPA is historically lower than other professional leagues because of how short the average NFL career is and how many players are on a team vs NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. For the player's sake I hope they can get it removed or Bell's situation will continue to happen
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfoot...and_a/e9o7odg/
Costco (11-14-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 748 Posts
4th and 2, trailing with 4 minutes to go and we punt it away... Defense hasn't stopped them since the first series fumble. McCarthy won't make the end of the season if we lose 1 or 2 more games.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
4th and 2, trailing with 4 minutes to go and we punt it away... Defense hasn't stopped them since the first series fumble. McCarthy won't make the end of the season if we lose 1 or 2 more games.
With arguably the best QB in the game, going up against one of the best rushing attack this season... Nah, punt it.

McCarthy is in that Marvin Lewis tier of coaches. Good enough to not get fired, not good enough to get to or win the Super Bowl. Things just came together that one year.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Holy crap Alex Smith
Old 11-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Ts&Ps

Weirdly it's the same exact day as Joe Theismans injury
Old 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Old 11-18-2018, 06:36 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,813 Likes on 3,731 Posts
Iggles
Old 11-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Bears looking pretty good so far against Dikings.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I do have to say though, Jon Gruden is the greatest Chicago Bears GM of all-time. All-time.
pttl (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Thought Big Ben was going to have a bad game but he bounced back nicely.
97BlackAckCL (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Someone should ask Lane Johnson if he's still having fun in Philly
Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Thought Big Ben was going to have a bad game but he bounced back nicely.
Yeah, that was a rough start to the game but they pulled it out in the end.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I do have to say though, Jon Gruden is the greatest Chicago Bears GM of all-time. All-time.
If he decides to get into politics he can be the Mayor of Chicago.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM

So do you guys still hate Ryan Pace?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
So do you guys still hate Ryan Pace?
Uneven GM...still perplexed why he gave the farm to move up 1 spot to grab a player no one else was taking.

And esp. with Mahomes and DeSean still on the board too. Would those two be better? It's debatable but man, Mitch still makes some WTFBBQ throws into coverage that results in turnovers...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM
Safety Car

Uneven GM...still perplexed why he gave the farm to move up 1 spot to grab a player no one else was taking.

And esp. with Mahomes and DeSean still on the board too. Would those two be better? It's debatable but man, Mitch still makes some WTFBBQ throws into coverage that results in turnovers...
To be fair, lot of people were talking trash to the Chiefs front office and early Mahomes supporters about how he was gonna be a INT machine and a hot headed gun slinger and how we are gonna be lucky to have an 8-8 season this year.

And of course we know now how Mahomes has turned out so far. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Still early in the game for lot of young QBs still and things can change in the coming years...
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

To be fair, lot of people were talking trash to the Chiefs front office and early Mahomes supporters about how he was gonna be a INT machine and a hot headed gun slinger and how we are gonna be lucky to have an 8-8 season this year.

And of course we know now how Mahomes has turned out so far. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Still early in the game for lot of young QBs still and things can change in the coming years...
Well, that's why I'm saying it's debatable. For QBs, it's ALL about the system...and some who may be successful in one system with a coach/OC may not thrive in another.
nist7 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

For instance, I think it would be amusing to see Brady operate in the Lions' system.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Well, that's why I'm saying it's debatable. For QBs, it's ALL about the system...and some who may be successful in one system with a coach/OC may not thrive in another.
For sure.

Still lot of years to go for all the young QBs in the league....should be really interesting to watch Mahomes/Watson/Trubisky/Mayfield/Darnold/Allen/Rosen/Jackson/etc. etc. in the years to come...
Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 PM

I wish this Monday Night game had some offense....
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM
My first Avatar....

91 points scored with 9:30 to play??!?!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM

98 and its not over...

Check that, 105...

Last edited by 1Louder; 11-19-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 PM
My first Avatar....

Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Fucking cray
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Game of the Year.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 PM

Game of the Year.
Yup, holy shit
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Missed the game. Setting my DVR. NFL Network is showing it at 2
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Was that an NFL game or a BIG 12
The following 2 users liked this post by Joneill44:
is300eater (11-20-2018), nist7 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 AM

It was an exciting game though - I like those a lot better than the 6-9 contests that are nothing but 60 minutes of 3-and-outs.

Nice fantasy day for all the principle players too....
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
is300eater (11-20-2018), nist7 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I knew going in it was going to be a great game.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Bears D has some difference-makers. Great pick 6 late in the game. Hopefully they can hold.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2018 Season News and Discussion Thread