AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/)
-   -   NFL: 2018 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/sports-talk-fantasy-leagues-38/nfl-2018-off-season-news-discussion-thread-966875/)

Yumcha 02-06-2018 08:25 PM

NFL: 2018 Off-Season News and Discussion Thread

Congrats to the Eagles. Season over.

Off-season signings, firings, hirings, arrests, and etc. go here. :rice:

Whiskers 02-07-2018 06:29 AM

Go Giants

Doom878 02-07-2018 06:46 AM

This Colts/Kraft/McDaniels story is juicy

Joneill44 02-07-2018 07:46 AM

This should fit nice next to their AFC Finalist Banner

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a5cacd9675.jpg

BreezyTL 02-07-2018 08:33 AM

Word on the street is Luck may need yet another shoulder surgery. Things don't look good from the last one, Doc's say.

Flipster23 02-07-2018 09:26 AM

Lucks luck ran out.

Doom878 02-07-2018 10:07 AM

Reading that not only did McD get paid, he also might succeed BB. :what:

EL19 02-07-2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 16180853)
Reading that not only did McD get paid, he also might succeed BB. :what:

Read that also. The increase in pay to stay OC wasn't as much as the pay for HC of the Colts and if the Krafts back out on this supposed promise of succession McDaniels career is toast.

Joneill44 02-07-2018 11:53 AM

Well he pretty much ruined his chances of getting a HC somewhere else after this stunt. So it's not IF but When does he takes over

Doom878 02-07-2018 12:29 PM

Would suck if he got the Pats job and lost it after 2 years.

Yumcha 02-07-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 16181162)
Would suck if he got the Pats job and lost it after 2 years.

Well, here's the thing...as amusing as it may be, the opinion in the press and others in the League is that he is committing political suicide.

Hope Kraft promised him the world.

Costco 02-07-2018 02:27 PM

Can't wait for the season to start. Can't wait to see who gets picked up in FA when the Niners swing around their big cap space.

I like to reiterate that I don't watch CFB at all. But it's hard to find great offensive linemen who are young and/or affordable in the market. I see and read great things about OG Quenton Nelson. Interior o-line is trash, they need to protect the most handsome QB in the league, and pick up a free agent corner and an edge rusher. Really don't wanna see another 1st round pick go to d-line.

Costco 02-07-2018 02:32 PM

I'm curious to see where Cousins ends up. I think the Jets or Broncos are great fits for him. Dude is going to get PAID.

Very surprising too. Guess WAS didn't want to deal with Cousins' contract again. Haven't seen much of Kirk in the playoffs, and I have always supported Alex Smith even in his worst years... but not sure if they can take it all the way with Alex.

nist7 02-07-2018 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joneill44 (Post 16181069)
Well he pretty much ruined his chances of getting a HC somewhere else after this stunt. So it's not IF but When does he takes over

Yup.

That was a huge embarrassment to the Colts and clearly unprofessional and reeks of a guy who doesn't know what he wants. This is the NFL....not some high school to college recruiting season.

I think his days of ANY head coaching job anywhere is done...heck, he might not have any assistant job outside of new england any more...

Doom878 02-08-2018 07:07 AM

I saw a blurb that if the Skins don't go after Cousins they could get a player's union grievance as franchise tags typically have a clause where you must attempt to sign the player long term even after the year his tender is designated. I don't know, let's see how aggressive they want to be (political).

Joneill44 02-08-2018 12:34 PM

"49ers have reached agreement w/ Jimmy Garoppolo. Will be highest paid player in NFL. Announcement soon to come."

Joneill44 02-08-2018 12:38 PM

5yrs/$137milll

Costco 02-08-2018 01:01 PM

Interesting deal length, 5 years is how long Lynch and Shanahan have left on their contracts. I'm glad they got this contract done now before FA starts and makes it even crazier.

Cousins will probably break $29m/year. Rodgers could possibly break $30m/year then.

Doom878 02-08-2018 01:02 PM

Cousins must be ecstatic. Every NFL team shitting bricks

CCColtsicehockey 02-08-2018 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 16181964)
Cousins must be ecstatic. Every NFL team shitting bricks

This exactly. Cousins will now get crazy money and I really fear what Carson Wentz will command when the last two years of his deal run out.

Doom878 02-08-2018 01:12 PM

:rofl: at Gronk's 911 call

Joneill44 02-08-2018 01:38 PM

I've said this before. Do you want to win or do you want to get paid? Cant have it both ways. Ask the Ravens how its going after signing Flacco to all that money. It strangles your team financially

jupitersolo 02-08-2018 01:50 PM

Yearly salary cap is 178 million dollars...., this ain’t nothing what they are being paid....

CCColtsicehockey 02-08-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Joneill44 (Post 16182021)
I've said this before. Do you want to win or do you want to get paid? Cant have it both ways. Ask the Ravens how its going after signing Flacco to all that money. It strangles your team financially

This exactly. There were several players in Philly that restructured deals so they could sign more players that were part this season. Get your money within reason and it allows more great players to come on board.

Costco 02-08-2018 02:34 PM

It really depends on the player and team. If you're in your prime, recently had the best season(s) of your career, possibly the best one so far, and are going to an undesirable and/or desperate team (i.e. Browns) you are going to want to get paid. Hell, I would. I'm sure most of you wouldn't walk away from a 10-20% pay bump in order to benefit your company, would you? Especially if it meant leaving millions of dollars on the table. Not only that, but imagine being touted as one of the most important people in the entire company.

Flacco willed his team to the SB and won the year before. That was one of the most impressive postseason runs by a QB, ever. QBs are also overvalued because there isn't a surplus or starting caliber-quality ones and it can take years, if not decades to find "the guy". If the Ravens didn't pay him that back then, somebody else would have come real close.

nist7 02-08-2018 03:19 PM

I mean obviously I'm never going to be in any situation similar to these huge million dollar contracts.....but to me, I'd settle for a few million a year less and have a great team that has a shot at a SB rather than maxing my salary.

Now if I know I don't have that many years left in my prime? Heck yeah I'm gonna want to get paid.

With a SB behind your name, wouldn't the player also be paid later in terms of ads/endorsements/potential post-NFL TV/media careers? seems like may be a better decision to try to get your TEAM better rather than be 100% self serving?....

Not to mention with a SB ring, you're investing and paying yourself for later opportunities rather than just maxing a contract for now....

Joneill44 02-08-2018 04:44 PM

I have no issue if someone wanting to get full value. My point is the team usually suffers because of it. Look at the top 10 paid QBs (before jimmy g is official)
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/high...n-the-nfl.html

1) Matthew Stafford (missed playoffs)

2) Derek Carr (missed playoffs)

3) Andrew Luck (hurt)

4) Carson Palmer (missed playoffs)

5) Drew Brees (lost divisional round)

6) Kirk Cousins (missed playoffs)**will be higher soon

7) Joe Flacco (missed playoffs)

8) Aaron Rodgers (hurt)

9) Russell Wilson (missed playoffs)

10) Ben Roethlisberger (lost divisional round)

Costco 02-08-2018 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joneill44 (Post 16182199)
I have no issue if someone wanting to get full value. My point is the team usually suffers because of it. Look at the top 10 paid QBs (before jimmy g is official)
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/high...n-the-nfl.html

1) Matthew Stafford (missed playoffs)

2) Derek Carr (missed playoffs)

3) Andrew Luck (hurt)

4) Carson Palmer (missed playoffs)

5) Drew Brees (lost divisional round)

6) Kirk Cousins (missed playoffs)**will be higher soon

7) Joe Flacco (missed playoffs)

8) Aaron Rodgers (hurt)

9) Russell Wilson (missed playoffs)

10) Ben Roethlisberger (lost divisional round)

I couldn't disagree with you more here.

Stafford is a great QB, and has shown he can be even without Megatron. His previous coach was fired, says a lot there. NFC was competitive this year, I don't think anybody 9-7 made it.

Carr is also a great QB, and still has many years ahead of him. Back injury was just an unlucky hit.

Luck's shoulder is probably fucked. Not something you can really foresee. He's proven he was worth the 1st overall pick at least.

Palmer, another unlucky injury. Teams seldom make the playoffs when they lose a great QB and star RB... unless you're the Vikings/Eagles. Cowboys imploded when Zeke got suspended :haha: (and the Tyron Smith injury)

Brees - his fault Saints fell behind in the first place, but he brought them back from seemingly guaranteed defeat. If that safety doesn't completely whiff on Diggs they would have faced the Eagles most likely.

Cousins' o-line was decimated, defense had injuries too. Best RB was also on IR.

Flacco has been terrible to average. Not worth it in hindsight, but I'm sure most Ravens fans clamored "pay the man"

Rodgers - collarbone is another unlucky injury

Without Wilson the Seahawks go 6-10 at best. I don't care which current QB you put back there.

Rapelisberger - drama queen, unpleasant to look at. But you can't blame him for the Jags loss.

It's easy to look at what Brady gets paid and say, "everybody else should take less money" but most, if not all of these guys will never make this much money ever again. Their careers could end on a bad hit. Brady has 90% of his career behind him, he's had plenty of years to earn through big contracts, and isn't his wife wealthier than he is? Maybe not, but they are hardly hurting for money.

nist7 02-08-2018 05:34 PM

^^^yeah. His wife makes WAY more than him annually. It's insane. IIRC she made some like 30M in 2016....pretty much double what TB12 made....yeah that family set for life. So this is a good point.....TB can pretty much focus all in on football and be ok with a so-so contract/salary....not to mention TB12 is a GOAT QB and pretty much can have any job/endorsement after his NFL career and rake in millions and millions for decade to come.....

Interesting points. I agree with the injury asterisk on alot of these. That Minnesota-Saints game was a complete miracle...def Brees would've advanced if wasn't for that last miracle play...

This also goes to show that overpaying 1 QB is not a smart deicision from a team...since you as you just pointed out....any component can suck and make the team lose so its not just dependent 1 star.....

Costco 02-08-2018 05:35 PM

I will not be surprised in the least when some team overpays for Case Keenum if the Vikings move on. Look at the QB carousel the Browns, Bills, and Broncos have been on. They haven't found the guy yet, and there's a ton of wasted potential. The Rams went literally from worst to first with the right guy (and more importantly, coach).

In a league where teams will mortgage their future to get the QB they want - Texans draft and trade shenanigans to get Watson comes to mind, and the Bears - paying a guy a bit more would be worth it than to be in the state of limbo where you're constantly around 6-10 or 8-8. Can't get into the playoffs, yet don't have a high enough draft pick to draft the next Andrew Luck.

nist7 02-08-2018 05:40 PM

Seems like for an NFL team to have consistent success, it seems you DO need a star QB, so I can see why teams are depsperate to find their franchise guy.

But then again there is also the reality that if you take up so much cap space in 1 guy...not as much money for the other positions and for defense....so if your one guy hurts or sucks.....it can be pretty bad.

My Chiefs traded up to get Mahomes and we're just praying that he will be the next franchise, all-star QB for the Chiefs to finally push us over that playoff 1st round hurdle....

Costco 02-08-2018 05:40 PM

Aside from Favre and Cousins, you get the point. This is why Dan Snyder and his GM are retarded.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...c32b78916c.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1f8332ebac.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9863bdbcfc.jpg

nist7 02-08-2018 05:43 PM

As much as we love Alex Smith as a great dude and a very decent QB....we're so glad to have not continued the sloppy seconds QB game that KC has been into. I can feel for Redskins fans....they're probably not the happiest, lol

And I don't even know what the heck is the right move for Vikings. You got like 3 potential guys, 2 are injury prone, and 1 is a maaaybe decent QB?.......yikes

Costco 02-08-2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by nist7 (Post 16182221)
Seems like for an NFL team to have consistent success, it seems you DO need a star QB, so I can see why teams are depsperate to find their franchise guy.

But then again there is also the reality that if you take up so much cap space in 1 guy...not as much money for the other positions and for defense....so if your one guy hurts or sucks.....it can be pretty bad.

My Chiefs traded up to get Mahomes and we're just praying that he will be the next franchise, all-star QB for the Chiefs to finally push us over that playoff 1st round hurdle....

That's the great thing about a rookie QB. From what I've seen Mahomes looks good but is still a long-term unknown. He's on a rookie contract, while Alex Smith was a huge cap hit.

I think o-line is hugely important. You can have subpar skill position players but the great linemen make every other player on offense better. The only QBs that can win with crappy o-lines are Wilson and Rodgers. They even make do without RBs.

Joneill44 02-08-2018 07:58 PM

Costco I think you're missing my point. All those QBs are very good and deserve that money. My point is that when a franchise is forced to have 20-25% of their payroll go to 1 player it hard to build a championship caliber team around it

Costco 02-08-2018 08:22 PM

I agree with you that it's hard to build a solid team if one guy sucks up all the salary room.

My point in lesser terms is if a QB doesn't get the money he's looking for, he'll find it somewhere else. Even a guy like Osweiler can get paid. Then you're stuck between Trevor Simian and Paxton Lynch.

Joneill44 02-08-2018 09:20 PM

Agree

1Louder 02-08-2018 10:27 PM

I grabbed Jimmy G in fantasy off the wire in a keeper league. I'm starting to get a tad optimistic now looking at the deal he got that he might have a significant season next year. :wish:

Costco 02-08-2018 11:04 PM

Jimmy is getting a real #1 receiver next year. And Goodwin should do even better with somebody drawing the coverage, or vice versa.

NSXNEXT 02-09-2018 07:47 AM

Eagles parade
Jason Kelce in full Mummers regalia.
http://media.phillyvoice.com/media/i...ll-735x490.jpg

Sure beats any Trump rally. :tomato:
http://www.timesleader.com/wp-conten...7227429-1-.jpg